Bruins destined to slip the most

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Bruins destined to slip the most

Since I'm tired of Reading, Ranting, Waiting, Agonizing about whether Phil tha Thrill be signed or traded. I searched for some recent Bruins articles and found one on The Hockey News.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/27759-THNcom-Blog-Bruins-destined-to-slip-the-most.html

"So a 15- to 20-point market correction by third-place-in-East-bound Boston will be the biggest drop in the NHL this season."

Brian Costellois The Hockey News’s senior special editions editor and a regular contributor to THN.com.

I decided to email Mr. Brian Costello as to why the Bruins won't have that bad a of a drop this upcoming season. So instead of building a birdhouse or reading another Kessel thread maybe you might want join me in either agreeing (I should hope not) with Mr. Costello or sending this Yard Ape a few of our own opinions as to what we, die hard Boston Bruins fans, expect.

PS. Sorry all you hockey fans but i'm off to watch about 20 hours of college football. Doesn't feel like fall in San Diego but I'll make the best of it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Re: Bruins destined to slip the most

I'm not much of a prognosticator, but a 20 point slip is not out of the realm of possibility for the Bruins this season.  I certainly hope not, but stranger things have happened.  First, the Bruins will be the team that every team in the east will be gunning for this season.  Players like Krejci and Wheeler are now well known, and will be studied while opponents are preparing to play against the B's.

Defensive forwards Axelsson and Yelle are gone, along with defensive defensemen Ward and Hnidy.  This will mean that opponents will likely get more quality scoring chances against Timmy, Tukka, or whoever is in net.  Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised to see Timmy's GAA jump by as much as half a goal a game.

The team will be missing another key component as well.  It might be Kessel and his lightning-quick release.  It might be Kobasew and/or Ference.  While neither Koby nor Ference possess the skill sets of an elite player, they are both tenacious players who fire up their teammates with what hockey pundits like to call their "high compete level".  Even though it doesn't show up on the score sheet every night, there is no denying that both players elevate the level of play of their teammates.

On the positive side of the ledger, Wheeler has been training hard to ensure that he doesn't hit the wall in February like he did last season.  If he keeps his speed while adding stamina, he will be a key player all season long.  Hunwick continued to improve his game right up until the time he was injured.  I am looking forward to see what he brings to the table this season.  If Morris can help create scoring chances without being a defensive liability, the Bruins could again be among the league leaders in goals scored. 

Add to the equation the fact that the core group of players is the same as last season.  While other teams are developing team chemistry, the Bruins should be racking up wins in October.

That's my take on the upcoming season.  That and a buck will get you a cup of coffee.  The only sure thing is that it shoud be an exciting season for Bruins fans.  As much as I hate the cold weather, I'm getting antsy for hockey season. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

The D has gotten stronger and faster, Morris over Ward, Hunwick and Boychuk way over in better and faster than Montador and Hnidy but less in the physical.

The O has improved with the removal of PJ, will miss Yelle but fulltime addition of Recchi, return of Sturm and hopefully call up of Marchand(I like this kid a lot), maturing of Wheeler, Lucic, Hunwick, Krejci, Kessel and Bitz.

Start will be tougher with unknown of injuries to Krejci, Kessel and Sturm and of course Kessel's contract.  That is tougher but not overcomeable!

Why they will be as good or better-
    Bergeron will be the player he was becoming in the playoffs.
    Chara and boys want it a lot more after sour taste of loss to Carolina.
    Lucic is coming into his own and if he realizes what a shot he has he will score over 30.
    Recchi full time.
    Morris signing.
    Sturm will finally reach his potential and net 30.
    Wheeler is bigger and stronger.
    Krejci a point plus per game and Ryder 35G will earn their big contracts.
    Savard will again score 90P.
    Chara,Morris,Wideman,Stuart,Ference, Hunwick and Boychuk will be stingy D with the best offensive scoring in the NHL.
    TT with Rask/Sabourin will win another Trophy.
    Kessel will be signed and a huge threat when he comes back.
    Kobasew will be his self.
    4th linewill be high energy as usual with addition of Begin, Thornton may sit some and some speed may come up from farm against non fighting teams.
    The reigns will come off of Chara and Lucic and teams will see something they wish they hadn't.

Come one come all!!! The B's will be ready, mentally and physically for this campaign, let er rip!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Again, Bergeron will be a very important factor in the Bruins success this season.  While he seemed to be playing his best hockey in two years at the end of last season, he is one nasty knock to the head away from early retirement.  I think that he will either be all in or all out this season.  Many things hinge on Bergeron, as both Recchi and Sturm have better chemistry with him than they do with Krejci or Savard.  Lucic worked well with Savard, so he will likely be on Savard's left wing again this season.  I think that Sturm's quickness will be more useful with Krejci's creative playmaking. leaving Recchi to reap the benefits of Bergeron's more straightforward style. 

I am very interested to see how Bitz pans out.  It looked like the sky was the limit for him last season, although he is projected to be no higher than a third liner in his career.  Let's hope that he pulls a Tim Thomas and proves all of the doubters wrong.  I have faith that Claude Julien will use him to the best of his ability. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from damngood. Show damngood's posts

1 step forward 2 steps back

It's called Bruins.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

THN also picked Boston to finish 10th in the East last year and the Canadiens to finish first. Prognostications are dodgy things, and mostly a matter of opinion. 

And damngood, why don't you troll yourself off to a Canadiens board where you belong? Go root for Les Glorieux to not embarrass themselves like they did last year.  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Who cares if they slip 10 to 15 points in the Season as long as they make the playoffs and peak going into the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins destined to slip the most:
    Who cares if they slip 10 to 15 points in the Season as long as they make the playoffs and peak going into the playoffs.
    Posted by JYaso

That's a good point.

I can see them getting off to a slower start because of the injuries to Krejci and Kessel, but they've done little to change this team, other than switching Ward for Morris (an upgrade) and Begin for Yelle (push). They lost PJ, but he'll be replaced by Bitz and/or Sobotka, and Rask should be a more-than-able replacement for Fernandez. A healthy Sturm and Bergeron will help as well. Nor should they have made big changes, with such a young, improving group. Experience on the part of Hunwick, Wheeler and Krejci, to name just a few, should make this a tougher team. The biggest challenge they face now is that they'll be the hunted, rather than the hunter.

Funny, I remember well THN predicting last year that the Bruins wouldn't score as much as the previous year because they had lost Glen Metropolit (!). They barely mentioned Krejci and Wheeler, and listed Hunwick somewhere around eighth on the prospects depth chart. National writers often don't have a clue about younger players, which are the ones who have helped make the Bruins into such a strong team. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

The Hockey news is always way off the mark! I wouldn't put too much worry into it!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

The Hockey news is always way off the mark! I wouldn't put too much worry into it!
    Posted by nitemare-38

The Hockey News predicted the Bruins to win the East.

http://thehockeynews.com/articles/27434-The-Hockey-News-200910-NHL-regular-season-predictions.html?page=27

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulyboy. Show paulyboy's posts

Let the Hockey news say what they want.  If the Bs do not finish first no worries. As long as they are humming going into the playoffs that is all that matters.  Look at SJ and Bs last year.  No matter how it shakes out I am fired up for the start of the season.. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins destined to slip the most : The Hockey News predicted the Bruins to win the East. http://thehockeynews.com/articles/27434-The-Hockey-News-200910-NHL-regular-season-predictions.html?page=27
    Posted by Kennedy97

So has the rest of the world. They'd be idiots if they didn't.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

There won't be a 20-point drop off but I wouldn't be surprised to see the B's finish 4th or 5th in the East. All that matters of course is the playoffs and if they go in w/essentially the same team as last year minus Kessel they won't get out of round 2.

Other X factors: Bergeron is one bad hit away from calling it a career. On the other hand if he stays healthy all year he can and should put up strong numbers.
    Rask is still unproven. Too small a sample of NHL games to say he's a stronger back up than Manny. If not, they're in real trouble no matter what happens with Kessel.
    Does Rechhi have anything left in the tank for a full 82 game season AND a playoff run? He aint getting any younger.
    They will miss Axxy in a big way. Bitz and/or Sobotka don't have his smarts and innate PK ability.

These are just a few tough scenarios they might have to deal with. Do we really want to subtract Kess' potential 30-40 goals from the mix?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsSoxCeltsNo1. Show PatsSoxCeltsNo1's posts

The Bruins are the shame of Boston

1 and done

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

The Bruins are the shame of Boston 1 and done
    Posted by PatsSoxCeltsNo1

if you live in boston, YOU are the shame of boston

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsSoxCeltsNo1. Show PatsSoxCeltsNo1's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins destined to slip the most : if you live in boston, YOU are the shame of boston
    Posted by dkrejci46

Good one! What are you 5?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins destined to slip the most : Good one! What are you 5?
    Posted by PatsSoxCeltsNo1

Can't you read he's 46.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins destined to slip the most : if you live in boston, YOU are the shame of boston
    Posted by dkrejci46

Don't feed the trolls.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins destined to slip the most : So has the rest of the world. They'd be idiots if they didn't.
    Posted by duinne

Funny how the same people who were idiots the last 2 years are now geniuses. All they had to do was say the Bruins would finish first!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins destined to slip the most : Funny how the same people who were idiots the last 2 years are now geniuses. All they had to do was say the Bruins would finish first!
    Posted by Kennedy97

As Brer Rabbit said, "things may alter." The problem with a lot of hockey "experts" is that they're a year or two behind the times. Instead of keeping up with the rapid advancement of some players (and similar declines from others), they often base their predictions on past performances as if they're set in stone. Player X will ALWAYS be good, Player Y will NEVER get better, etc. etc. Astute Bruins fans could watch a player like David Krejci closely and understand that he had potential just waiting to break out; the national media may have seen him once or twice a year, and based their opinions on that; THN barely mentioned him last year in their Bruins preview (in which they picked the B's to finish 10th in the East).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

The bruins could drop 15 points or so, a few season ago those totals would put a smile on every true bruins face.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

Re: I love that Dirty Water

I have my doubts about slipping any. I think the biggest asset going into this season is Tukka. He is simply going to turn heads & win the Calder. This kid competes like not many others. He hates to lose, see the AHL playoffs when he filipped his noodle on that shootout loss. I don't blame him that was the worst reffing I have seen in a while. I expect 30 home wins this year at home & 20 on the road & a dose of OT points in there for 112 points. Last year the B's became close to becoming the only team in 70 seasons to not have a lost a game by greater than 3 goals. They were in every game last year until the Sharks came calling & they lost by 3 because Claude pulled Timmy & they scored an empty netter for the three goal cushion. Slipping, not gonna happen my friends, I LOVE THAT DIRTY WATER.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

tuukka won't play too much so that they can control his bonus.....we don't want tuukka winning the calder

Sections
Shortcuts