Bruins didn't get the MEMO

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

while i am a born and bred new yorker im definately not a yankees fan. i am a mets fan from birth and in 1979,i adopted the red sox as my american league team. why you ask ? well the mets were so bad at the time that i needed another team to root for and in 1978 my parents took me to cape cod. needless to say as an impressionable youth i got caught up in all the hoopla of that season which of course turned out all wrong. so in 1979 i figured,what better team to root for than a team that just blew a big lead the year before. thus i became a red sox fan and of course Dwight Evans is my fav all time player. forget Jim Ed Rice,Evans belongs in the hall of fame.
    now as far as your trade ideas, i have no idea as only time will tell. even though as a sox fan i would not have wanted to get rid of Ellsbury. so as a mets fan,since they virtually gave up nothing for Johan, i guess it worked out for the best. and i do like your feelings about Hughes. would not be surprised if the sox win the ws again though.

getting back to rooting for two teams,its tougher now because of inter league play,which of course i hate.

now your last question of course would be,who was i rooting for in 1986? being at all 4 games at Shea,to this day im still not sure but probably the sox because of Evans. except for Mookie Wilson most of the best players were from other teams like Carter and Hernandez and some of the homegrown talent like Strawberry and Gooden i just couldn't relate to(unfortunately for them my instincts about them and the things i heard proved correct years later). at the games i had a mets cap and jacket on with my dewey jersey underneath. so i was ready for anything !

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Knock, knock, knock!� That would be Philadelphia, Buffalo and Washington at the door and they're about to kick the door in. The Caps should be ashamed of themselves losing to Chicago 5-0. Look at the bright side... The B's will get a higher draft pick. Of course, they'll draft someone average.PS ~ Sergei Samsanov now has 29 points (13G and 16A) in 31 games for Carolina. Let's see if he can stay healthy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

PS ~ Sergei Samsanov now has 29 points (13G and 16A) in 31 games for Carolina. Let's see if he can stay healthy.Hey I'm happy for the guy, more goals an points in 31 games than he got in 3 times of many games played [probably dozens a healthy scratch] on two other teams over the past two years.� I have to give Rutherford a lot of credit for having the balls of picking him up off the wire when he was on his 2nd team since Christmas.� Almost makes him look clearvoient that Sergie rejuvinated himself with a trip from the NHL via wire

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

"...addition of Campbell..."

Agree, I'm thinking a Sharks Pens finale.� If everyone remains healthy through the playoffs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

OK, so just for the sake of debate, let's take off 8 years (1972-1980) of my roughly 36 year assessment, and take off 1988 and 1990.�For the most part, it's been 26 years of average, not-committed-to-winning management doing just enough to keep fans in the seats; just enough to keep the hopes alive as if they would ever pull the trigger on a late season acquisition to put them over the top. This is the team that let RAY BOURQUE go after years of being competitively average, instead of trying to win a Stanley Cup.Are you serious?Yes, they've had good teams. They dump Barry Pederson because he wants too much money, get Cam Neely and have a couple of good runs at a Cup. Without the incredible luck of the Neely trade, they're AVERAGE. No one could have predicted Neely's success. They stole him in that trade. They got lucky because they were trying to dump salary to save money.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Sweetheart, the Bruins got lucky. Do you honestly think Vancouver would have traded Neely if they knew how good he would be?

I don't hate the Bruins. I really don't like Jeremy Jacobs and wish he would sell, but he makes too much money on fans who pay too much to watch an average team. I really don't like Harry Sinden either. I understand the position he is in with the team (or was), and with the league, but he's been too stingy and that makes Jacobs money and we don't win. They're both brilliant really. I just wish they worked for another team so we could get an owner who wanted to win as well as make money. They are an embarassment to Boston fans.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

"Sweetheart, the Bruins got lucky. Do you honestly think Vancouver would have traded Neely if they knew how good he would be?"

I think this could be said about any trade after the fact when one player excells and the other doesn't. I just posted one of those that could be debated for years to come....both teams just don't know.� I suggest you go read about Milt Schmidt's deal with Chicago.� I think you posted that they knew what they were doing pre-jacobs.� He states he wasn't even looking for a trade and got lucky as the phone in his office rang.�

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Semantics. It was a salary dump, plain and simple. Without�Neely, and the Bruins would never have been as good in their late 80's "runs" at a cup. They would have been average. They got lucky.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

There are two parts of luck...falling into something and then having all the pieces come together.It isn't semantics in this case, it was a good trade that you don't want to acknowledge that worked out [the luck part�of it]�You neglect to even recognize that effectively the Bruins ended up with Neely and Wesley in that deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

We got Neely and a First round draft pick the best deal ever made in the nhl as far as I am concerned.� But then again all you haters say this team never does anything right.
    I can't argue that it was one of the best trades ever, although Vancouver may want to debate it. Thank God the Bruins were on the receiving end of the best part of the deal. It doesn't take away from the fact that Neely far exceeded expectations and without him the Bruibns would have been average. They got LUCKY.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeymaniya. Show hockeymaniya's posts

Is there not a element of risk within all trades?��

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

Of course, but in Boston every trade has to be a postive venture for the home team

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Neely hadn't scored more than 39 points in a season in three years with Vancouver. Perderson, although banged up and somewhat aging, was still getting his share of points.�He could still skate and pass. On paper, it wasn't a bad deal and it saved the Bruins money. Then, Neely grew up. It's not noted as one of the worst trades in history because Harry Sinden was so smart and could see Neely's potential. Sinden was trying to dump salary because Barry wanted a raise and got extremely lucky with Neely. Sinden�wanted the draft pick and someone to fill Pederson's skates.Again, without one of the worst trades in history, the Bruins would never have been in any contention in 1988 or 1990 for the Cup.Also, in Pederson's defense, here are his stats for the two seasons after the trade, before injuries killed his career:79 games 24 goals and 52 assists for 76 points76 games 19 goals and 52 assists for 71 points.Not bad, really. 52 assists? Yikes. If he had stayed healthy, it may not have been such a one-sided trade. Still, the Bruins were very lucky Neely turned out the way he did.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

I guess any trade that ends up 'unlucky' is poor management?� Why don't you go through Allison and/or Guerin's departures - Good or Bad?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

I'd have to look into the Guerin trade, but I remember the Bruins Captain, Jason Allison, wanting too much money, so they traded him to the Kings for�Glen Murray and Jozef St�mpel. I think Mikko Eloranta was tossed in, too. This trade was to get out of signing a high-dollar, long-term deal with Allison. For the same money they could have the two average guys. So, they traded away their Captain.Was it good or bad? Well, injuries killed Allison, but he still went on to average more than a point per game until he retired prematurely. If he can get his head on straight and somehow get healthy, we will hear from him again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

I don't have time today, but didn't Guerin leave as a free agent? Again, he scored 40+ goals, wanted a raise and a long-term contract, and the Bruins let him go. Sound familiar?

Do you have anything better for me? Do you still think the Bruins care and sign their best players?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

I think they "care" as much as any other owner of any other sports team.� [already stated that they don't care].� You can look this stuff up, but probably not worth your time.

On the players, I thought Guerin was an asset to the team and wanted them to keep him.� However at something like $10M asking and I believe $9M sale price per year.� This equated to $150,000 per point (not goals) *if* he had the same average production in the next 5 years that he had during the previous 5 years.� Although he was one of those players that brough a lot more to the table I just couldn't believe it when I broke it down.� To me it was significant as it was the lynch pin that swayed me to the the "dark side" and believing that something had to be done about players salaries in a league that is riddled with problems....hence you can calculate the above and I believe them to be accurate, I did not recalculate.� With your "baseball oriented" name, I'm sure you can understand [vs. agree] where I'm coming from with this.�� The basic factor is how much is a player "worth" in the future in these decisions.

Allison was the other recent [when your talking to old people] popular case, as has been Dafoe, Raycroft, etc they had a following and people are still upset that the Bruins were 'saving money'.� In each one of these cases, regardless if it was a 'non-signing' or a trade, these players left their best in Boston and the flip side of the deal was better for the Bruins.� For Allison, yes getting Murray was an asset.� He practically single handed carried LA the previous year in the playoffs until they were eliminated.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Hindsight is 20/20. All I know is that the sentiment surrounding players like Guerin and Allison was that the fans (who pay the bills) wanted those guys to stay. When a player's career tapers off like it did for both of those guys (even though Guerin is still viewed as valuable), it can make a GM look like a genius. But, the bottom line is that they do not spend. They win some and lose some, but they don't like to spend on the players the fans pay to watch. I will never become a season ticket holder again to watch Sturm and Savard, when I know as soon as I come to like them, they will be traded or let go via free agency. The way the Bruins run their organization stinks. There is no concern for what the fans want.

Oddly, I'm almost 40 and most of my friends who I grew up with and who follow hockey feel the same way. It's not just me. We're all ticked off about it and refuse to spend the money on the B's anymore.

What else can I say? If you want to overpay for an average team, go ahead. I'm glad you have the cash to burn.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

Would you be a patriots season ticket holder?� Assuming yes, why?��

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

I no longer have�time or money to attend games, but I would�be a Patriots' season ticket holder. Celtics? Sure. Red Sox? Of course. Bruins? No way. The common denominator is that those organizations are run differently. It's not so much the winning, as trying to win and being dedicated. You cannot compare Jacobs to Kraft. Kraft, by far, gets how to win and make money. Jacobs gets how to�bring in "yes men" to do his dirty work and make him money. It's a culture or atmosphere that is created and it doesn't happen overnight, but you can see it formulating. TEAM FIRST. Dedicate yourself to winning. Build a strong, experienced team around a core group of players.The Celtics were lost and made a bunch of trades that made no sense until new ownership and Danny Ainge finally said, "Hey, we need to make a decision. This ain't workin'. We haven't won jack in far too long and it isn't right." They dedicated themselves to winning at the potential risk of losing money. Do you really think they're losing money right now?What is the Bruins organization doing to earn back the trust of the fans, like me, who they have lost? I don't trust Jacobs or any organization that employs Harry Sinden to do what the fans want. If I own the Boston Bruins, I clean house of management and bring in the right players at whatever cost and bring the team back to respectability. (You don't overpay for guys like Martin Lapointe) The B's have become a joke. If you're old enough to remember the 80's and 90's, you know what I mean. There is no Orr, Bourque or Neely around, and there hasn't been since Neely retired and Bourque was jetisoned to Colorado. I don't mean NY Rangers go out and buy everyone and lose style, I mean balance: quality, experience and youth with a dedication to winning a Stanley Cup. The Patriots, Red Sox and Celtics have done so. The Bruins are penny pinching hoping the young guys can do enough to excite fans. They squeaked into the playoffs and people are happy with that? Sorry, not after nearly four�decades of no Cups and no sign of the true Bruins pride in sight. What are they thinking?!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

...You cannot compare Jacobs to Kraft. Kraft, by far, gets how to win andmake money. Jacobs gets how to�bring in "yes men" to do his dirty workand make him money. It's a culture or atmosphere that is created and itdoesn't happen overnight, but you can see it formulating. TEAM FIRST.Dedicate yourself to winning. Build a strong, experienced team around acore group of players....

Keep on believing this....seems like you read a lot of newspaper articles.� Kraft is about sucking money out far worse than Jacobs has ever been accused of.� We were talking about luck in previous postings and I was going to say that Kraft is lucky that he has Belicick.� Since despite having I think the 2nd or 3rd lowest payroll in 2001 they ended up with Mo Lewis "promoting" Brady and going on to turn the season around.� But it really wasn't luck, he was inventive in the manner that he obtained Belicick...it was luck that the league allowed the move.� For the Bruins, it was inventive they way they approached the CBA.� They would have looked like geniuses but it was very unlucky that a players union with guarenteed contracts would take a 25% paycut across the board.� In the end the only reason both of these teams will either perform or not perform is the "player/personnel" management that they put in the front office and how� "hands off" they are in that space.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Sculler, you have got to be kidding me. Kraft is a lifelong Patriots fan. He created a winning atmosphere based on his passion for the team and his ability to run a successful business. Kraft, in his own right, has gotten lucky with the coach and quarterback, but do you see Chara taking a pay cut to allow the Bruins cap room to sign a top-notch goal scorer? Do you see other players accepting less for a chance to win a Cup in Boston? If management isn't dedicated, the players won't be either.

WINNING atmosphere; TEAM first. I don't have to read articles or watch TV to come up with that formula. It's working in 3 of 4 major sports franshises in Boston.

When the Bruins go out during the offseason and sign (or trade for) a brand-name, top-notch player to compliment the younger guys, OR, when they make the deal at the trading deadline that will actually improve the team and put them over the top, then we can talk. Until then, they are doing what they have done for three decades, and that is riding the wave of heart given them by young talent. They live and die by their philosophy. Sometimes, they get lucky.

GOOD LUCK BRUINS!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Who cares about soccer? Back in 1978 when I played soccer we were told it was the next big sport... 30 years later, no one I know cares about the Revs. I guess they do okay though, don't they?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Sculler, who hired the Patriots' coach? Kraft. Who leads the Patriots' winning attitude and culture? Kraft. Who allows whatever spending is needed to bring in players? Kraft. Before Kraft, no one wanted to play here. Now, they're banging down the door. You don't think Chad Johnson is making a stink about being traded because he wants to come here? He told Belichik he wanted to play here.

Also, you bring in the RIGHT people. If they don't work out, you replace them. How long was Sinden in place? Did he have a winning attitude? No, he cared more about the league as a whole and sacrificed winning for the league. Not a terrible thing to do, and it doesn't make him the worst person on the planet, but it didn't help the paying fans much did it? Here we are 36 years later hanging onto hope that this team can overachieve and win a Cup. No one views them as a contender. No one shows them respect. is that fair to the players? If you were a player, would you say my boss is doing everything possible to win a Cup? I bet they're saying, "I wish my boss were more like Robert Kraft!"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

May I continue bitching now?