Bruins fail AGAIN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dench3. Show dench3's posts

Bruins fail AGAIN

As a diehard Bruins fan, i feel like i say this every year but we really dropped the ball (or puck) once again. My feeling is that Kessel and PC are far apart  on a new deal and we are most likely going to lose him in the next week with no value in return, even though we could have used him to trade up in tonights draft and gotten equal value from a player who has more than 1 move, isnt a defensive liabilty, and doesnt turn the puck over. My other big concern is that we are handcuffed by the cap, have 2 rfa's we must sign in bitz and hunwick, and therefore will not be able to improve ourselves by going outside the organization. I just see NO WAY that we can be better than last year (yes yes, obviously the kids are growing up) but that is not going to put us over the top. Please, someone explain to me how we could possibly win a series against Wash, Pitt, or NJ. We are NOT a tough team and do NOT have enough two way players. Please someone explain to me how we can become a better team this offseason? Im thinking its not possible.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DetTracks. Show DetTracks's posts

Re: Bruins fail AGAIN

PC sat on his hands and let things pass him by as he always has, be it the Draft or trade deadline. I have never seen a bigger timid, nervous nellie then this GM in my life!

Chiarelli always seems to be a day late and a dollar short (or overpayed in his case)

I am also betting the "major miscommunication" with Toronto was chiarelli's blunder and not Brian Burkes.

It's just embarassing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Kessel is a RFA even if he signs an offer sheet we can match it.  If we do not match it we will recieve draft picks,  if Kessel signs for the money he is reportedly asking we will get the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks of that team next year.

I doubt very much it is PC's fault the deal with TO fell threw.  It sounds like TO got a better offer from the Stars and then pulled out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grant22. Show Grant22's posts

You two need to chill out. Day one of the draft and we just got a great kid in Caron. Kessel is a salary cap problem for sure, but PC has until wed to either convince him to sign a 1 yr deal (or longer) or trade him and get a fair value. The guy has turned this team around...give him some credit. Also, even if we lose him to an offer sheet we get good compensation in draft picks....lets not forget marco sturm is coming back. Phil had a great year for sure and helped alot but he was hurt and on a hell of cold streak while we kept winning. We will have a great season in 09-10, believe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dench3. Show dench3's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins fail AGAIN:
    You two need to chill out. Day one of the draft and we just got a great kid in Caron. Kessel is a salary cap problem for sure, but PC has until wed to either convince him to sign a 1 yr deal (or longer) or trade him and get a fair value. The guy has turned this team around...give him some credit. Also, even if we lose him to an offer sheet we get good compensation in draft picks....lets not forget marco sturm is coming back. Phil had a great year for sure and helped alot but he was hurt and on a hell of cold streak while we kept winning. We will have a great season in 09-10, believe.
    Posted by Grant22

Oh, awsome 32(?) year old marco sturm. sure i love the guy, but come on, give me a break. "the guy" has turned this team around? most of the young talent we have is mike oconnel's scouting, not chiarelli. Great he signed two obviously great players in chara and savvy, and a 5 overall pick in blake wheeler. The time to win is now, and phil kessel is ABSOLUTELY NOT the difference. You dont win in todays NHL with fast, flashy fowards that cant do much else. Yes, i love phil kessel but come on, he is not gonna be a difference maker in the playoffs. He gets pushed around and off the puck and made more bad plays this postseason that good ones. Whos next to try and convince themself that the bruins are legit? I believed more than anything this past year, but our weakness really showed in the playoffs and we havnt done a thing to fix it, and it doesnt seem like we will.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from guy0677. Show guy0677's posts

I gotta say.  I really try not to be combative in these posts, but your comments are completely ignorant!  First of all, do you really think he would have sat on his hands if the trade was there?  Why?  The only "bad" move this guy has made since he's been here player-wise was trade Versteeg to Chicago for Bochenski.  I screamed when he traded Kalus for Manny, but it appears Kalus isn't going to pan out at this point.  Other than that, his moves have been solid.  Yes, some of the talent was from the previous management, but he has timed it wel and brought in a good supporting cast and rebuilt the character of the team, which was clearly the biggest problem before he arrived. 

Second, if he acquired Kaberle, it would have meant the Bruins would have to make another trade to clear cap space.  This would have meant getting rid of a blue chip like Savard or hoping they could shed a guy like Ward or Ference and get very little back for them. 

Third, your argument is that they need to "win now".  Well, acquiring a pick in this draft wouldn't do that!  There were 4 players ready to contribute in the draft this year and how many of them are going to contribute to the extent to push a team over.  Wheeler was good this year and fizzled when it mattered because it was his first pro season.  Thinking that Kessel would command a player and a 1st round pick is naive at best. 

Chill out...your impatience is ridiculous.  If you listen to Mike Milbury, he always says that the trades are not easy to make.  You have another GM looking out for his organization too.  It's easy from the cheap seats to get ticked off and rant.  They'll trade him in the next couple of days or get compensation if they let him go as a RFA.  If he gets money they can't match, the package of picks is going to be sweet. 

In Response to Re: Bruins fail AGAIN : Oh, awsome 32(?) year old marco sturm. sure i love the guy, but come on, give me a break. "the guy" has turned this team around? most of the young talent we have is mike oconnel's scouting, not chiarelli. Great he signed two obviously great players in chara and savvy, and a 5 overall pick in blake wheeler. The time to win is now, and phil kessel is ABSOLUTELY NOT the difference. You dont win in todays NHL with fast, flashy fowards that cant do much else. Yes, i love phil kessel but come on, he is not gonna be a difference maker in the playoffs. He gets pushed around and off the puck and made more bad plays this postseason that good ones. Whos next to try and convince themself that the bruins are legit? I believed more than anything this past year, but our weakness really showed in the playoffs and we havnt done a thing to fix it, and it doesnt seem like we will.
    Posted by dench3

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

The teams with the top picks weren't very eager to trade away there picks. They would've had to been blown away and that probably would've meant including somebody in a deal that you really don't want to. I don't blame Chiarelli for that.

I'm a big fan of Kessel, but do you really pay a guy $5 million a year for one good season? Yes, he very well may score 50 goals in the near future, but what happens if you sign him to a big deal and then his production dips or he gets hurt? Then, the team is stuck with a bad contract. It is a dilemma in the salary cap era. There is still a good chance that he will be traded, but just because he wasn't traded today, doesn't mean we won't get a good package in return for him. Quite frankly, I am very happy that they didn't make the Kaberle deal. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Chiarelli knows what he's doing. Even though for a moment I thought so, he was not going to make the Kaberle deal without getting the 7th overall. He knows Kessel's value, and should he not get a deal done I'm extremely confident that we will get enough in return. Teams who make offer sheets on restricted free agents go big, knowing that the other team most likely won't match it. An offer for Kessel will be at least $5 million that Chiarelli wouldn't match, with his ceiling most likely at $6 million. $6 million is 3 first round picks, and thats definetley fair value. Have faith until he makes a mistake.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1191893. Show user_1191893's posts

Have you guys paid attention to what has happened with the Bruins over the last few years? They have gone from one of the worst teams to one of the best, but some of you think Chiarelli doesn't know what he is doing. UNBELIEVABLE!

You have to give Chiarelli credit where credit is due, he turned the Bruins around, if you can't face the facts, I am thinking you just like to complain about something or you haven't been a Bruins fan for more than 3 years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky1313. Show sparky1313's posts

With Sturm coming back he will score the same amount of goals that Kessel did this year,30-35. Wheeler should pop in a few more, so that takes care of the goal product that kessel would provide. So what else does Kessel bring to the table? The B's were tops in GA Goals scored last year WE DON"T NEED TO IMPROVE THERE! What we need is more grit to stay in playoff series longer. Kessel doesn't have it. Sturm showed the year before he has. Wheeler is still unknown but with much more up side than Kessel (size and vision). Kessel's agent will wake up soon and realize very few teams are in the hunt for him and by the lack of movement so far are not going to pay him more that what the B's are probably offering. I predict Kessel signing one year with incentives for 4.5mil. If he signs with us at all. The one thing I would like to know is how deep is the draft next year and is there a few players that the B's would like to go with draft picks they would get for Kessel.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I predict Kessel will run into a numbers game and won't get much more than Krejci. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DetTracks. Show DetTracks's posts

Have you guys paid attention to what has happened with the Bruins over the last few years? They have gone from one of the worst teams to one of the best, but some of you think Chiarelli doesn't know what he is doing. UNBELIEVABLE! You have to give Chiarelli credit where credit is due, he turned the Bruins around, if you can't face the facts, I am thinking you just like to complain about something or you haven't been a Bruins fan for more than 3 years.
    Posted by nmbr24

Listen you are half right, he did turn the Bruins around in the  standings but lets face it there was no where to go but up. Chiarelli has had ONE great regular season going into his 4th season and he has done next to nothing in the playoffs.

I think most fans (not including the kool aid crowd) are weary that he is not putting together a team that can win in the playoffs but will just rack up the regular season points, this was Chiarelli & Co. M.O. in Ottawa

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins fail AGAIN : Listen you are half right, he did turn the Bruins around in the  standings but lets face it there was no where to go but up. Chiarelli has had ONE great regular season going into his 4th season and he has done next to nothing in the playoffs.   I think most fans (not including the kool aid crowd) are weary that he is not putting together a team that can win in the playoffs but will just rack up the regular season points, this was Chiarelli & Co. M.O. in Ottawa
    Posted by DetTracks

Can we pass judgement when pre-season starts or even better October 1st.
    I see you've been a member for a long time (no troll) and this is why I'm not going to rip your thread.  We're entitled to our own opinion.
    Look at the Flyers,  they took on a major contract ,  they're way over the cap, and Pronger has maybe 1 good year left. Now they need to sell off.
    It could be worse for the Bruins.
    Who knows ,  they might sign Kessel and come October 1st they to will try to free up space.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins fail AGAIN : Listen you are half right, he did turn the Bruins around in the  standings but lets face it there was no where to go but up. Chiarelli has had ONE great regular season going into his 4th season and he has done next to nothing in the playoffs.   I think most fans (not including the kool aid crowd) are weary that he is not putting together a team that can win in the playoffs but will just rack up the regular season points, this was Chiarelli & Co. M.O. in Ottawa
    Posted by DetTracks

As some who is considered a sheep on this board I have to say you have hit on my biggest fear about the Bruins.  I think the fact we signed a goalie who lets in weak goals when the pressure is on like a game 7 overtime is proof that we just want to succeed in the regular season. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DetTracks. Show DetTracks's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins fail AGAIN : Can we pass judgement when pre-season starts or even better October 1st. I see you've been a member for a long time (no troll) and this is why I'm not going to rip your thread.  We're entitled to our own opinion. Look at the Flyers,  they took on a major contract ,  they're way over the cap, and Pronger has maybe 1 good year left. Now they need to sell off. It could be worse for the Bruins. Who knows ,  they might sign Kessel and come October 1st they to will try to free up space.
    Posted by BsLegion

I'm not saying what is going to happen, I am saying this is what is worrying SOME people, (the pom pom club excluded) I think alot of people are worried that Chiarelli is building the Ottawa Senators south, in Boston, a great regular season team, but not a team that has the right peices for deep playoff runs. Obviously no one knows what is going to happen but with Chiarelli I think there is some cause for concern...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DetTracks. Show DetTracks's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins fail AGAIN : As some who is considered a sheep on this board I have to say you have hit on my biggest fear about the Bruins.  I think the fact we signed a goalie who lets in weak goals when the pressure is on like a game 7 overtime is proof that we just want to succeed in the regular season. 
    Posted by Orrthebest

I'm sure they want to win in the post season, who doesnt? I just dont see it with Chiarelli. He is not a bulldog as a GM he is a field mouse and his track record speaks for itself.

My main concern is that as long as JJ & CJ get thier sellouts in the regular season they will let the playoff flops continue and continue with thier "the future is bright" and "there is always next year" lines they have been force feeding us for the last 20 years

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Detracks you are aware the Senators made the Stanley Cup Finals in 2007 right. They eventually got taken out by a strong Anaheim team, but they didn't have a great defense or goalie, something we have. If anything Chiarelli is building a stronger version of those Senators, without the star firepower up front but still with some good firepower. People act like the Bruins fell apart completely against Carolina. They had 2 bad games and the other 2 losses can be attributed to a lack of offense, mostly due to injuries. We nearly made the conference finals with 6 players under 25 years old. They're a good team with a bright future as long as they keep their core together.
    If you're going to doubt them already wait until they turn into San Jose, perennial favorites who never make anything, before you run your mouths. This season shouldn't be looked at as a failure, but as a positive sign of things to come.
    How many of you thought they'd be the top team in the east?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bouncer671. Show bouncer671's posts

Detracks you are aware the Senators made the Stanley Cup Finals in 2007 right. Posted by joeschmo25

Are you aware that was after PC and Chara came to Boston?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie2. Show Nolakanookie2's posts

How many of you thought they'd be the top team in the east?
    Posted by joeschmo25

OMG Who cares? Did you go out and buy your $34.99 Northeast Division champion T shirt and Hat?

The Bruins still chocked and got upset on home ice by a #6 seed!

Why the need to sugarcoat everything Bruins

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky1313. Show sparky1313's posts

All the naysayers have listened to the KPD negatve spin too long. When PC and Sweeney and Neely make decision year after year that DON'T show definite progress, then you can bash all you want. Right now the B's are getting better and you can not deny that fact. Will they win next year or the year after that? who knows, certainly not you armchiar GMs that think it's a easy as snap. All you have to do is look at how long it had taken the Redwings to get where they are, it did NOT happen over night. Sometimes one or two moves makes a great deal of difference, but most of the time it does not. Example; Harry Sinden!!!! He did what most of you are advocating with the aggresive GMing or we need this or we need that. And guess what.. it didn't work, did it? Cam Neely does not need to be a VP and would leave if he didn't truly believe that there is a genuine want to win. I think you all are spoiled with the championships in town that where bought not earned. Basketball and Baseball are sports that only takes $ to buy the players to win it all, in hockey it takes alot more ( ask the Rangers). The B's are heading in the right direction, and it's not going to be easy or overnight, it will take more than a push of a button. But it should happen in the next few years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie2. Show Nolakanookie2's posts

Basketball and Baseball are sports that only takes $ to buy the players to win it all Posted by sparky1313

Basketball has a salary cap you nitwit, and the Yankees haven't won in almost a decade and they spend the most by far.

It takes great ownership and great management to win Championships i.e.

Patriots

Red Sox

Celtics

Revolution

Notince anyone missing from this list?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

nolakanookie 2 you're obviously stupid so i'll explain it to you. THEY'RE STARTING A RUN AT THE FUTURE COMING OFF OF 2 TERRIBLE SEASONS AND ONE WHERE THEY BARELY GOT INTO THE POSTSEASON. Their two youngest and two of the best forwards have injuries that are keeping them out for 6 months after. Recchi had surgery the day before game 7 and went out and played 21 minutes. The fact that they played a strong game 7 but lost on a lucky bounce for Carolina shows that even when they're injured the Bruins are talented, even in the playoffs. The mvp of that series was Cam Ward, the former first round goalie who takes his game to another level come playoff time. If anybody's heard of him you'll know he's the reason why they won the Stanley Cup a few years ago.
    And bouncer671 that's my point, they made it to the finals without Chara, their best defenseman from the year before. Ottawa had a talented team, they're just run badly now by Bryan Murray, who was the coach at the time and not the GM. From how the team has gone since he was promoted is a clear sign he's not the right man for the job. Chiarelli is a smarter GM than Murray, and knows what's valuable in a team. This 08-09 team may not have made it to the conference finals, but when healthy they're a Stanley Cup team. As long as they keep most of the players from this year, along with some development from the younger players and fixing of the mistakes, Boston will be a Stanley Cup team within the next 3 years.
    And for all of you bandwagon fans like nolakanookie shut the hell up and stop being so impatient. No NHL team who's fallen apart has gone through a rebuilding process and won the cup has done it within 5 years of falling to the bottom, it's not like the NBA it's got a bigger roster and more complicated style of play, factors that take time to develop and install in teams.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie2. Show Nolakanookie2's posts

nolakanookie 2 you're obviously stupid so i'll explain it to you. THEY'RE STARTING A RUN AT THE FUTURE COMING OFF OF 2 TERRIBLE SEASONS AND ONE WHERE THEY BARELY GOT INTO THE POSTSEASON. Posted by joeschmo25

THE BRUINS HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR THE LAST 17 YEARS!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Thank you Nolakanookie for another dumb comment. Baseball has a luxury tax system, not a salary cap. Teams like the Sox, Tigers and Yankees can spend as much as they want, they just get taxed by a large percentage on every dollar over the amount set by the league.
    As for championship teams the Revolution have made it to the finals recently, but haven't won.
    Do some reading before you say stupid things, you embarass everybody who reads your comments.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Not really you nitwit, they haven't been at the bottom of the league for the past 17 years. They've gone through fluctuations of making and not making the playoffs, before Chiarelli and Julien came Thornton was apart of the last team to make it. Since then Thornton's been traded, Murray fell apart, Rolston left, Gonchar was traded for and left. Axlesson is the only Bruin still around from those teams and it's only been 4 years.
    Blame Jacobs for alot of the stuff before the salary cap was introducted, but don't act like they've been perennial losers since 92.

Sections
Shortcuts