Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsdiehard. Show bruinsdiehard's posts

Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROUTE FOR THE HABS

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROUTE FOR THE HABS:
    Sorry bud, you lost credibility before you started here. If you don't know the difference between root and route, then it's hard to take you seriously. As for the point you were attempting to make, I'd rather the road to the cup be easier than harder. Facing Philly would be easier than facing Pittsburg. Your petty feelings towards rivalries show your passion is less about wanting the B's to win as it is about wanting other teams to lose. Half-hearted fan.
    Posted by davecarr

And yes, its Pittsburgh, not Pittsburg. Honestly, these people who can't spell on these forums.... ;)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS

I know it goes against every fiber of our beings as Bruins fans to root for the Habs, but it also goes against us to not root for the most favorable outcome. We're most likely going to face Pittsburgh at some point, whether it's in the next series or if both teams make it to the conference finals. I would rather see us go further and ride more momentum with a full lineup then come in with a fresh but weary Savard and no Seidenberg or Stuart. 

We got by Buffalo because we played like a team and Buffalo is a bottom 20 team without Miller, Myers and Vanek. Montreal is going to get by Washington because of Halak and the lack of defense/goaltending for Washington. Pittsburgh isn't Washington, they're a team with much more depth and playoff experience and happen to have perhaps the best playoff performer in the league in Crosby. Say what you want about him but when it comes to the playoffs Ovechkin doesn't hold a candle to Crosby. Montreal may be able to get by Washington but they won't be able to get by Pittsburgh. 

Giving us a matchup against a Philadelphia team with weak goaltending and the now absence of Jeff Carter and Simon Gagne makes this a very favorable series for the Bruins. As long as Philli is matched hit for hit the Bruins will have an excellent chance of closing it out in less than 7 games. 

Maybe my hatred for Ovechkin is clouding my judgement, but I'd rather see Washington knocked out of the playoffs than riding a big win and coasting past Philadelphia. 

Don't think about it as rooting for Montreal tomorrow, think about it as rooting for a better matchup for us. People who are saying root for the Habs aren't going out and buying Halak, Plekanec and Subban jerseys like you guys are making it sound like. It's an unfavorable situation for Bruins fans all around, but you have to focus on the positives for us, instead of the positives that Montreal fans would get. 

Don't root for Montreal, root against Washington and for a better chance for the Bruins to play into June.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Believe me when I say I dislike the Habitants as much as I dislike the Yankees.  I am not rooting for the Canadien but for the Bruins to have a better chance of winning in the next round.Posted by islamorada

What so called die hard fans don't understand about this is hilarious! "I'm keeping my Yankees n Habs hate no matter what!" Tongue out

I suggest you throw up on your computer so more DieHard!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsdiehard. Show bruinsdiehard's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS:
    I know it goes against every fiber of our beings as Bruins fans to root for the Habs, but it also goes against us to not root for the most favorable outcome. We're most likely going to face Pittsburgh at some point, whether it's in the next series or if both teams make it to the conference finals. I would rather see us go further and ride more momentum with a full lineup then come in with a fresh but weary Savard and no Seidenberg or Stuart.  We got by Buffalo because we played like a team and Buffalo is a bottom 20 team without Miller, Myers and Vanek. Montreal is going to get by Washington because of Halak and the lack of defense/goaltending for Washington. Pittsburgh isn't Washington, they're a team with much more depth and playoff experience and happen to have perhaps the best playoff performer in the league in Crosby. Say what you want about him but when it comes to the playoffs Ovechkin doesn't hold a candle to Crosby. Montreal may be able to get by Washington but they won't be able to get by Pittsburgh.  Giving us a matchup against a Philadelphia team with weak goaltending and the now absence of Jeff Carter and Simon Gagne makes this a very favorable series for the Bruins. As long as Philli is matched hit for hit the Bruins will have an excellent chance of closing it out in less than 7 games.  Maybe my hatred for Ovechkin is clouding my judgement, but I'd rather see Washington knocked out of the playoffs than riding a big win and coasting past Philadelphia.  Don't think about it as rooting for Montreal tomorrow, think about it as rooting for a better matchup for us. People who are saying root for the Habs aren't going out and buying Halak, Plekanec and Subban jerseys like you guys are making it sound like. It's an unfavorable situation for Bruins fans all around, but you have to focus on the positives for us, instead of the positives that Montreal fans would get.  Don't root for Montreal, root against Washington and for a better chance for the Bruins to play into June.
    Posted by joeschmo25

Joe , it was a good try, but as the saying goes "If it barks like a dog and has fleas like a dog....its probably a dog!" and rooting for Wash to lose is still rooting for Mtl.

Your point about Carter and Gagne is well taken, but I think you are forgetting they still have Briere, Richards, Pronger et al. And sorry, but I totally disagree with your comment that Boucher is a weak goaltender. He played spectacularly against NJ, and was a major reason why they were able to win game 5 in NJ. After facing off against arguably the best goalie in the league for 6 games, it will be a welcome change to play against less than perfection, and given the way Fleury played against Ott, Id say hes ripe for the pickin!

Again, your point about Ovechkin v Sidney in the playoffs is well taken (who can forget the choke of game 7 last year), but I think that the Bruins would respond much more emotionally to a matchup with the Pens after being embarassed by them back in March. Plus, how could you resist the fantastic theater of Savard v Cooke!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsdiehard. Show bruinsdiehard's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROUTE FOR THE HABS : What so called die hard fans don't understand about this is hilarious! "I'm keeping my Yankees n Habs hate no matter what!" I suggest you throw up on your computer so more DieHard!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Sandog, are you really going to fault me for hating on our arch-rivals??? I mean seriously, its not like we need them to lose to gain a playoff berth, its only about match-ups at this point, and quite frankly, I don't see the point!

Tell me, when exactly does your hatred of the Habs go out the window if you are such a fan? Maybe you need a trip up to the Bell Centre and a seat in the balcony so you can look up into their rafters to remind yourself what that team has cost us over history. Sheesh...I def am throwing up now!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsdiehard. Show bruinsdiehard's posts

Flyers are without Carter, Gagne, and Laperriere.  Rask will not pull a rare-Brodeur burp from Round 1.   This is silly.  We need to play the Flyers if we want to get to the 3rd round. Root for the Habs?  Why not?   How much fun would it be to face them in the Eastern Finals?  Oh, the REVENGE from the late 70s.
    Posted by ipot

Ipot, Philly beating NJ in an easy 5 was less about Brodeur playing poorly and more about Philly being able to beat their defensive system, coupled with the stellar play of Boucher IMO.

I'm still not convinced Philly would be a better matchup for us vs Pitt, and no one yet has been able to convince me otherwise...maybe you can?

As for facing mtl in the conf finals...sure it could be fun, but it would also be absolutely scary as hell knowing we were all that stood between them and competing for their 25th cup. And trust me, we would feel disgusted as s**t if we lost that series. Like i said in my original post, better to wait till next year to go for revenge against the Habs when we have Seguin or Hall. As much as the Bs have shown me in this series, I cant just forget about their below average performance for the entire season, and I don't like the way we match up against the Habs, given the way the season series went.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Greatseason. Show Greatseason's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS : Ipot, Philly beating NJ in an easy 5 was less about Brodeur playing poorly and more about Philly being able to beat their defensive system, coupled with the stellar play of Boucher IMO. I'm still not convinced Philly would be a better matchup for us vs Pitt, and no one yet has been able to convince me otherwise...maybe you can? As for facing mtl in the conf finals...sure it could be fun, but it would also be absolutely scary as hell knowing we were all that stood between them and competing for their 25th cup. And trust me, we would feel disgusted as s**t if we lost that series. Like i said in my original post, better to wait till next year to go for revenge against the Habs when we have Seguin or Hall. As much as the Bs have shown me in this series, I cant just forget about their below average performance for the entire season, and I don't like the way we match up against the Habs, given the way the season series went.
    Posted by bruinsdiehard
    I just can't believe you're so afraid facing Habs you give them credit talking like that .... LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

I can net see moi self rooting pour de Habs at center hice it is not in moi blood.
    This my fake Quebecqoius accent pour moi do net know one bit da francais, I only know how to speak canadian irish "lets kick whoever we play in second rounds' @#$# the Bruins are tough lads we the fans don't back to anyone." We will never surrender!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BRUINS

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

i dislike the habs more than anyone..that being said if habs winning benifits the bruins im all for it..in fact not only do i hope they win game 7 i hope they beat pit next....bs-habs winner goes to the finals!  dream dream dream  would that not be the series of series's?  its happening!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Yes they have Briere, Richards and Pronger but that doesn't mean much if two of their top scorers are out. Boucher played well against New Jersey because their specialty is fast break goals. Guys like Parise, Kovalchuk, Rolston and Elias are talented but score much of their goals on fast breaks because of their speed. Kovalchuk also didn't show up to the series, and when he contributed it was often when the game was already decided. Philadelphia also played against a fragile looking Brodeur, who's play has been steadily declining since he broke the shutout record earlier in the season. He's given up soft goals and often looked out of place.

All you need to take down a system is some good coaching. New Jersey has an extremely defensive system to its core and that was even before Jacques Lemaire took over. Washington is an all out offensive system with a liability in their own end. As long as you have the right players and/or a good goaltender you can manipulate it to your advantage.

Who can honestly say that they would rather face Pittsburgh over Philadelphia? Mike Richards is good, but he's no Crosby. Malkin has been playing near his skill level as of the last third of the regular season on and Jordan Staal and Fleury step up their game around the playoffs. I take Phili as an opponent every time. Plus I'd rather have Savard get back into his groove before facing Cooke again. He'll have people aiming for his head no matter what, it's better to decrease the drama until he's ready for it. As for the revenge against Cooke thing the team didn't do it to Cooke in the game after the hit on Savard, why would they risk suspension now?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Don't cheer for the Habs under any circumstance?  On the surface, I totally agree.  The Habs and Sabres are my two most hated teams and both are head and shoulders above any other.  Seeing these teams do well makes me sick to my stomach no doubt.  Here comes the "but".  Nothing would satisfy me more in all of sports than to see Bettman posing with Z with the Cup (coming up to his kneecap) and then to watch Z raise that Cup 10 feet in the air and start passing it off.  I've been waiting a long time.  Some would say it's been long enough.  I was -1 the last time a spoked B player picked up the Cup in victory.  Since then there have been some great teams and great times along the way but one way or another this team has fallen short of the ultimate goal.

Think of history and how fortunate some teams can be on their way to winning a Cup.  The Habs in 93 never had to play the Bruins or Pens (two teams better on paper).  Pens get upset and the very avg Isles team sits waiting in the conference finals.  86 Habs again get a break not having to deal with the powerhouse Oilers who got upset by the Flames.  Even the Pens catch a break seeing the North Stars in a cup final.  Every year the Bruins got close, they ran into powerhouses in the Pens and the Oilers.  At the end of the day I want to Bruins to win this thing and catching a break or two along the way to make it happen is fine with me.  Seeing the Caps get knocked off by the Habs would be a huge break imo.  Not many will argue that a matchup vs the Flyers looks better on paper than a series vs the Pens.

That said, my motivation in cheering for any team other than the Bruins is because I want the Bruins to have the best path to the Cup.  If it means the habs advancing an extra round to make this path appear smoother...fine.     

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

To put things into perspective if the habs win tonight the possibility could exist where the Bruins could see the road to the cup consist of beating the Sabres, Flyers and potentially even the habs.  Could be in a cup final without having to win a single game against the Pens, Caps or Devils. 

Ok, someone slap me in the face for looking this far ahead.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rmcd. Show rmcd's posts

Right on Diehard. If I was on the Titanic with the Montreal Canadiens, I' d root aginst the Titanic.  And all this talk about avoiding Pitt! Why? Bring on the best and beat them, I thought that was what the postseason is all about. Some of these guys want to duck the "good" teams as though we can win the Cup that way, utter nonsense.

and what B's fan doesn't want a seven game against Mat "Pardon the elbow" Cooke?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diggz. Show Diggz's posts

These posts are ridiculous.  Everyone just needs to chill out.  Nobody should even care who the next opponent is; the only thing that matters is that the B's WILL be playing <insert round 2 opponent here> in the conference semis.  Granted, I expect some anti-Montreal banter here, but the B's do have 2 ex-Habs in the line up.

My point is, the only thing we should get amped up about is the next round.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

If it means winning a Cup...yes line up the weak sisters thankyou very much.  I'll get over not getting to play Pitt or the Caps just fine thanks.

"macho" and "logic" don't usually go together.

I'm just not that guy who would rather see the demise of the habs at the expense of winning the Cup.  The demise of the Habs is a very close second though!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsdiehard. Show bruinsdiehard's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS : I just can't believe you're so afraid facing Habs you give them credit talking like that .... LOL
    Posted by Greatseason

Not at all. True, part of my argument is that I don't want to face the Habs in the Conf finals, but its more about wanting to see pittsburgh now. And remember, if we were to face Mtl, it would mean their path to that series would have gone through Washington and Pittsburgh to reach us. Thats a whole hell of a lot of momentum for them going into that series and as ugly as it is to say this, I have almost over 80 years of Bruins history backing me up that says we don't beat the Habs in these kinds of situations. Besides, everyone seems to forget that they are rooting for the Habs to beat Washington because they are so "afraid" to face Pittsburgh or Washington. Fear of facing the Habs vs facing the Pens or Caps...hmmm, whos the real chicken?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

If it means winning a Cup...yes line up the weak sisters thankyou very much.  I'll get over not getting to play Pitt or the Caps just fine thanks. "macho" and "logic" don't usually go together. I'm just not that guy who would rather see the demise of the habs at the expense of winning the Cup.  The demise of the Habs is a very close second though!
    Posted by misterpaulo

Exactly.  Does Tampa care they beat a 6th seed in the final?  Does Carolina not feel like a Cup champ because they beat an 8th?  The only thing people remember is that you won.  Personally I'll take a Bruins cup win anyway we can get it.  Since we haven't seen one in my life span I think I'm entitled to one.  I don't care how.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsdiehard. Show bruinsdiehard's posts

Yes they have Briere, Richards and Pronger but that doesn't mean much if two of their top scorers are out. Boucher played well against New Jersey because their specialty is fast break goals. Guys like Parise, Kovalchuk, Rolston and Elias are talented but score much of their goals on fast breaks because of their speed. Kovalchuk also didn't show up to the series, and when he contributed it was often when the game was already decided. Philadelphia also played against a fragile looking Brodeur, who's play has been steadily declining since he broke the shutout record earlier in the season. He's given up soft goals and often looked out of place. All you need to take down a system is some good coaching. New Jersey has an extremely defensive system to its core and that was even before Jacques Lemaire took over. Washington is an all out offensive system with a liability in their own end. As long as you have the right players and/or a good goaltender you can manipulate it to your advantage. Who can honestly say that they would rather face Pittsburgh over Philadelphia? Mike Richards is good, but he's no Crosby. Malkin has been playing near his skill level as of the last third of the regular season on and Jordan Staal and Fleury step up their game around the playoffs. I take Phili as an opponent every time. Plus I'd rather have Savard get back into his groove before facing Cooke again. He'll have people aiming for his head no matter what, it's better to decrease the drama until he's ready for it. As for the revenge against Cooke thing the team didn't do it to Cooke in the game after the hit on Savard, why would they risk suspension now?
    Posted by joeschmo25

Interesting thoughts, but I don't see NJ as a team that looks for fast break goals any more than the Bs do. The point that I've been making in other posts is that NJ has a defensive system like you mentioned much like our own, and the Flyers beat them handily at it, much too easily for my comfort level. My hope for Brodeur in the future is that he dials back on his starts per season to keep himself more fresh for the postseason. He cant keep playing these 70+ start seasons. But he definitely was not the reason the devils lost that series. Philly beat them at their own game.

As for Philly's injuries, yes Carter is a huge loss and was their leading goal scorer, but their #2 and #3 were Richards and Briere, respectively (gagne only netted 17). Plus Pronger was 3rd on the team in scoring. Thats quite enough firepower to take out the Bruins if they dont find the same offensive punch that they had against the sabres.

As for Pittsburgh and Cooke, i think you misunderstood my expectations for revenge. Im no dummy to think that now is the time to start line brawls, but my revenge is along the lines of poetic justice, like having Savard score the game winner in every game in the series. As for your worries about the Pens gunning for his head...what do you think Philly is going to do, part the seas for him as he skates into the offensive zone?? They'd be more likely to play dirty than anyone, especially with those b**ches Carcillo and Hartnell, and as much as I hate the Pens, i think cooke is more of an enigma on that team than a trend. Philly is definitely the cheap shot artist, and if you are truly concerned with Savard's health, I find it hard to understand why you're hoping for a date with the Broad Street Bullies.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

i dislike the habs more than anyone..that being said if habs winning benifits the bruins im all for it..in fact not only do i hope they win game 7 i hope they beat pit next....bs-habs winner goes to the finals!  dream dream dream  would that not be the series of series's?  its happening!
    Posted by bruins8

Somebody who calls themselves a true Bruins fan rooting for the Habs ? Don't care who the B's face as long as there's a guarantee the Habs are out. What's next ? Go Yankees !!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS : Somebody who calls themselves a true Bruins fan rooting for the Habs ? Don't care who the B's face as long as there's a guarantee the Habs are out. What's next ? Go Yankees !!!!!
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Does that mean Hab fans are cheering for their team to lose to screw us over?  Priority is the success of our team.  The Habs losing is secondary, fun to watch, but secondary.  I'm not rooting for the Habs, but I see tonight's game as win/win.  Let's face facts, it doesn't matter who we are cheering for, the game will end with a winner and our good/bad thoughts don't mean anything.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS : Does that mean Hab fans are cheering for their team to lose to screw us over?  Priority is the success of our team.  The Habs losing is secondary, fun to watch, but secondary.  I'm not rooting for the Habs, but I see tonight's game as win/win.  Let's face facts, it doesn't matter who we are cheering for, the game will end with a winner and our good/bad thoughts don't mean anything.
    Posted by Raskman

Huh !!!! You lost me there with the Habs fans cheering for them to lose so they could screw the B's over. Don't have any idea what that has to do with the fact I don't want the Habs to win under any circumstances. Got no clue where you were going with that statement.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS : Huh !!!! You lost me there with the Habs fans cheering for them to lose so they could screw the B's over. Don't have any idea what that has to do with the fact I don't want the Habs to win under any circumstances. Got no clue where you were going with that statement.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

The point was made in the second line.  We should be cheering for what benefits our team first and for the Habs to lose second.  People hatred for the Habs is clouding their judgement.  I want to Habs to lose, but I want to play Philly next.  I can't have both, so I want what's best for our team.  That would be playing the Flyers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS : The point was made in the second line.  We should be cheering for what benefits our team first and for the Habs to lose second.  People hatred for the Habs is clouding their judgement.  I want to Habs to lose, but I want to play Philly next.  I can't have both, so I want what's best for our team.  That would be playing the Flyers.
    Posted by Raskman

I get where you're coming from now Raskman. But as much as I agree with your first priority is for the B's to win I equally want the Habs to lose . Any chance of them winning a cup is a no no with me . I lived with watching the Habs in the 60's and 70's and once in 86' and 93' win cups and having the Habs fans around me gloat. My first priority is 1A) Bruins success..... but equal to that is....... 1B) Habs lose. Sorry Raskman , just the way I have felt since the 60's . If the B's can't beat whoever they HAVE TO PLAY then they just don't deserve to win like any other team in this situation.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

Another small positive about a Habs win is it pretty much seals the fate of Price, if it hasn't been already.  I thought on his draft day that he was the second best goalie in the draft (Rask was #1 IMO) and if Halak steals another one that pretty much packs Price's bags.  I was getting sick of hearing how Price is the "next coming" from Hab fans.  Basically if he's shipped I can throw that in their faces and confirm that Rask was the best available and they passed on him.