Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gapc. Show gapc's posts

Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS

So if it came down to the last game of the season and the Bruins needed the Habs to win to make the playoffs, you would root against the Habs, and have the Bruins miss the playoffs?  So basically you are saying that you are not really Bruins fan, but rather a hater of the Canadiens.  You get more joy out of the Canadiens losing than the Bruins winning.  Misplaced priorities if you ask me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsdiehard. Show bruinsdiehard's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS:
    So if it came down to the last game of the season and the Bruins needed the Habs to win to make the playoffs, you would root against the Habs, and have the Bruins miss the playoffs?  So basically you are saying that you are not really Bruins fan, but rather a hater of the Canadiens.  You get more joy out of the Canadiens losing than the Bruins winning.  Misplaced priorities if you ask me.
    Posted by gapc

Thats not what we are saying at all gapc. If it honestly came down to that scenario you just mentioned, I'd prob have no choice but to root for the Habs. But rooting for them to win a reg season game so we can get a playoff berth and rooting for them to eliminate the Caps and advance closer to the Stanley Cup are polar opposite things. Being a Bruins fan means hating the Habs, and if you cant figure that out, you probably dont belong on this forum. All these people who want mtl to win tonight are just trying to play match-maker, and I for one will welcome a second shot at the pens if it means the Habs are eliminated in their precious 100th birthday and kept way the hell away from the cup. Perhaps we do get a significant amount of joy seeing the Habs lose, but your comparison of this situation and your example is plain wrong and shouldnt even be compared in the first place.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeonetwo. Show Mikeonetwo's posts

Bruinsdiehard! 

I back you 100%!  My only point is that the Bruins have suffered this year and have not lived up to their potential.  Playing the so called "easier" team doesn't make sense for the B's.  This team needs to feel like the under dog.  They have gone into games this season thinking it would be an easy win, only to lose.  I'd rather having them looking up at the hill they have to climb so they play with some desperation.

To all the grammar chumps, I apologize for poor punctuation and spelling mistakes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Posted by gapc

You got to love 'fairy tale' scenarios. You're making up a situation that has nothing to do with the present or this thread . Is that what's at stake tonight ? Thought the B's were already in the playoffs and into the 2nd round ? If the Habs lose tonight are the B's out ? Misplaced priorities ? How about misplaced ideas ? In your make believe world gapc, yes I would root for the Habs to win so the B's would make the playoffs . But today is April 28 2010, the B's are in the playoffs, so Go Caps !!!!!!! P.S. If you have any more of your make believe scenarios you'd like to give me I'll be happy to answer them. Thanks for setting me straight gapc. (I feel so ashamed.)  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gapc. Show gapc's posts

I was responding to the poster who said he would NEVER root for the Canadiens to win.  I was just pointing out a scenario that shows how ridiculous his statement is.

Winning 16 games is hard enough, any advantage the Bs can get, I will take.  Why make it tougher on the team by insisting they go through the toughest competition? 

While the Flyers do have Briere and Richards, do you know who they don't have?  Crosby and Malkin.  In my opinion, the path of least resistance to the Cup goes through Philly first.

As far as my being a Bruins fan, I have been bleeding Black and Gold since the late 70's.  I remember too many men in '79 and hating Montreal every year.  But my first priority what is best for the Bruins, and that is for Montreal to win tonight.

And wasn't Montreal's 100th anniversary last year?  How horrible was it for them and their obnoxious fans to be swept from the playoffs by the Bruins?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

bruinsdiehard - I really love your spirit but here is where I think we differ.  First of all I won't question your devotion to this team for your stance and please don't question mine all because I would prefer the Habs knock off the team that challenges the Bruins the most.  I'm not going to be sitting at home with a Habs jersey on and fist pumping when they score.  It's just a preference with the ultimate B's goal in mind.  That's all.  Nothing more.  No "code" is being broken here.  

You mention this Hab hatred rooting back since the 60's.  That tells me you have seen the Bruins win the Cup with your own eyes.  I envy you.  I want to be able to witness such a thing with my peepers too.  History can show how an upset or two can pave a way to another teams championship.  There is no debating this fact.  If the hated Habs (I hate em too) can actually make themselves useful for once in knocking out the team that on paper is our worst matchup, I say wicked.  If it happened, the fact that we would get the Flyers over the Pens just appears to be another bonus on paper.  No guarantees either way but ignoring the probablity of the Bruins winning with an easier path than a more difficult one is lost on me.

I want the B's to win period.  I love this team and don't need anyone telling me otherwise all because I chose logic over bitterness. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS : Thats not what we are saying at all gapc. If it honestly came down to that scenario you just mentioned, I'd prob have no choice but to root for the Habs. But rooting for them to win a reg season game so we can get a playoff berth and rooting for them to eliminate the Caps and advance closer to the Stanley Cup are polar opposite things. Being a Bruins fan means hating the Habs, and if you cant figure that out, you probably dont belong on this forum. All these people who want mtl to win tonight are just trying to play match-maker, and I for one will welcome a second shot at the pens if it means the Habs are eliminated in their precious 100th birthday and kept way the hell away from the cup. Perhaps we do get a significant amount of joy seeing the Habs lose, but your comparison of this situation and your example is plain wrong and shouldnt even be compared in the first place.
    Posted by bruinsdiehard

Thank you bruinsdiehard , rooting for the Habs for tonights game was what the thread was all about . Didn't realize that by answering no that I would have to answer to gapc ridiculous made up comparison. If my priorities were of being a Habs hater more then a B's fan why am I not on a Habs board harassing them rather then being on here talking Bruins with other B's fans ? Just a dumb response .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

Why are we arguing about this?  There are good reasons to see the Caps lose and obviously seeing the Habs lose is a good thing too.  Getting everyone to agree what the best outcome is pointless.  The winner will be the winner and we have no power over it.  Just agree to disagree, watch the game hoping for whatever you think is the best end and we'll all get ready for round 2 tomorrow against whoever our opponent is. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanuckBruin. Show CanuckBruin's posts

I'm cheering against the Caps tonight.

Bring on the Flyers....Pittsburgh, see you in the conference finals.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gapc. Show gapc's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROUTE FOR THE HABS:
      I personally can't root for Montreal no matter what.    Plain and simple.

Posted by JYaso 

This is what I was responding to with my ridiculous made-up fairy-tale scenario.  Under normal circumstances, I root for 1) the Bruins and 2) Whoever is playing Montreal.  These are not normal circumstances.  Briere and Richards are much more preferable than Crosby and Malkin

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsdiehard. Show bruinsdiehard's posts

I was responding to the poster who said he would NEVER root for the Canadiens to win.  I was just pointing out a scenario that shows how ridiculous his statement is. Winning 16 games is hard enough, any advantage the Bs can get, I will take.  Why make it tougher on the team by insisting they go through the toughest competition?  While the Flyers do have Briere and Richards, do you know who they don't have?  Crosby and Malkin.  In my opinion, the path of least resistance to the Cup goes through Philly first. As far as my being a Bruins fan, I have been bleeding Black and Gold since the late 70's.  I remember too many men in '79 and hating Montreal every year.  But my first priority what is best for the Bruins, and that is for Montreal to win tonight. And wasn't Montreal's 100th anniversary last year?  How horrible was it for them and their obnoxious fans to be swept from the playoffs by the Bruins?
    Posted by gapc

Gapc, I'm quite familiar with current NHL rosters thanks. You're right, facing the flyers means not facing cindy and malkie. Heres a few more names for you to ponder. Fleury and Boucher. Fleury has a 2.75 GAA and a sub 900 save % in 6 games against a Sens team that lost Kovalev, Michalek and suffered through a barely existant Spezza. Boucher meanwhile had a 1.59 GAA with a 940 save % en route to shutting down Kovalchuk, Parise, Langenbrunner, Elias...Sorry, but the first tenant of playoff hockey is you live and die by your goaltender. Fleury has not looked sharp and that makes him a good matchup right now for the Bs, who have already beaten the best goaltender in the playoffs (with a little bit of luck on their side). I totally resist this idea that Philly would be any better of a matchup than Pitt for Boston, because its simply not true.

As for the 100th, these morons try to stretch out celebrations as long as possible now that their cup streaks have run dry (although that may change if they continue to advance ; ) They still consider this their 100th year celebration, especially since it was during this season they had the centennial match back in december (a game I am sad to say I was present in the bell centre for).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochesternybruinfan. Show rochesternybruinfan's posts

CANNOT AND WILLNOT EVER ROOT FOR MONTREAL!!!  BRUINS HAVE TO BEAT GOOD TEAMS EITHER WAY SO BRING ON THE PENS! GO CAPS

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROUTE FOR THE HABS :   I personally can't root for Montreal no matter what.    Plain and simple. Posted by JYaso  This is what I was responding to with my ridiculous made-up fairy-tale scenario.  Under normal circumstances, I root for 1) the Bruins and 2) Whoever is playing Montreal.  These are not normal circumstances.  Briere and Richards are much more preferable than Crosby and Malkin
    Posted by gapc

Your scenario has nothing to do with what is happening in the present so why it was brought up was curious. We are not rooting against the Habs for the B's to make the playoffs ? We are rooting against them because of our dislike for them. It was not a good comparison at all .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsdiehard. Show bruinsdiehard's posts

bruinsdiehard - I really love your spirit but here is where I think we differ.  First of all I won't question your devotion to this team for your stance and please don't question mine all because I would prefer the Habs knock off the team that challenges the Bruins the most.  I'm not going to be sitting at home with a Habs jersey on and fist pumping when they score.  It's just a preference with the ultimate B's goal in mind.  That's all.  Nothing more.  No "code" is being broken here.   You mention this Hab hatred rooting back since the 60's.  That tells me you have seen the Bruins win the Cup with your own eyes.  I envy you.  I want to be able to witness such a thing with my peepers too.  History can show how an upset or two can pave a way to another teams championship.  There is no debating this fact.  If the hated Habs (I hate em too) can actually make themselves useful for once in knocking out the team that on paper is our worst matchup, I say wicked.  If it happened, the fact that we would get the Flyers over the Pens just appears to be another bonus on paper.  No guarantees either way but ignoring the probablity of the Bruins winning with an easier path than a more difficult one is lost on me. I want the B's to win period.  I love this team and don't need anyone telling me otherwise all because I chose logic over bitterness.   
    Posted by misterpaulo

Actually, I was born in '87. I talk like I've seen the Bruins play back in the days of Orr because I've watched a ton of old replays of games from that era (Im an intense fan who needs help). So I'm in the same boat as you, waiting and waiting...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gapc. Show gapc's posts

CANNOT AND WILLNOT EVER ROOT FOR MONTREAL!!!  BRUINS HAVE TO BEAT GOOD TEAMS EITHER WAY SO BRING ON THE PENS! GO CAPS
    Posted by rochesternybruinfan

Here is another poster that shows why I put forth my scenario.  NEVER EVER ROOT FOR MONTREAL

I guess we both have different ideas on who the Bruins will have an easier time with in the next round.  While Fleury might have better stats than Boucher, Bruins just beat the "best goalie in the world" in Ryan Miller.  It's not all about the goalie (although about 90% is!)

Regardless of who they play, lets hope they make the Conference Finals and beyond.

Go B's

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MILANlucic17. Show MILANlucic17's posts

Lets see who would I rather see the bruins play in round 2?

Vs Philly and have home ice?

Vs Pitt without hime ice?

Wich one gives the bruins the best chance to advance to the 3rd round?

VS PHILLY

I hate the habs and always will but if it means they beat the caps oust one of the best teams in the east and we don;t have to play the 2nd best team in the east in the pens. I hope the habs win tonight for the bruins sake PERIOD.
    Just think if the habs win and they somehow take out the pens in the next round and we beat philly we could be like the 1993 habs that got lucky and won it all because they didn't play any good teams. I beleive the habs beat Que, Buf (since we choked vs them) NYI and the kings that year. I think the bruins are more than capable of beating any team with tuukka and the team system they are playing right now but I wasn the path of least resistantce to the cup.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsdiehard. Show bruinsdiehard's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS : Here is another poster that shows why I put forth my scenario.  NEVER EVER ROOT FOR MONTREAL I guess we both have different ideas on who the Bruins will have an easier time with in the next round.  While Fleury might have better stats than Boucher, Bruins just beat the "best goalie in the world" in Ryan Miller.  It's not all about the goalie (although about 90% is!) Regardless of who they play, lets hope they make the Conference Finals and beyond. Go B's
    Posted by gapc

I think you mean Boucher has the better stats, but yeah, we cleary are of a different mind. What matters at least is that its good to know passionate Bruins fans exist and will continue to exist.

And remember, If Satan be with us, who can be against us! ; )

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from habssuck09. Show habssuck09's posts

I HATE th Habs(as u can see by my name) but I rather see Philly and would love to see the Habs in the Eastern final...it would be better than Sox-Yanks in the ALCS...It would be the highlight of my Boston Sports life

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsdiehard. Show bruinsdiehard's posts

Lets see who would I rather see the bruins play in round 2? Vs Philly and have home ice? Vs Pitt without hime ice? Wich one gives the bruins the best chance to advance to the 3rd round? VS PHILLY I hate the habs and always will but if it means they beat the caps oust one of the best teams in the east and we don;t have to play the 2nd best team in the east in the pens. I hope the habs win tonight for the bruins sake PERIOD. Just think if the habs win and they somehow take out the pens in the next round and we beat philly we could be like the 1993 habs that got lucky and won it all because they didn't play any good teams. I beleive the habs beat Que, Buf (since we choked vs them) NYI and the kings that year. I think the bruins are more than capable of beating any team with tuukka and the team system they are playing right now but I wasn the path of least resistantce to the cup.
    Posted by MILANlucic17

Who says Pitt is the best team in the east right now? They may have the best player, but "team" is quite arguable. Plus, if you're dream scenario comes true, who's to say Mtl doesnt become the best team in the east? I mean, heck, they'll have taken out Washington AND Pitt, and I'd think Mtl would have earned a decent amount of respect in a series against us in the Conf finals that they might be the favored team.

Your points about Mtl being well rested in 93 are very valid, but as far as LA goes,  I think you're forgetting some people named Luc Robataille, Jari Kuri,  Wayne Gretzky? If not for that effing stick measurement of stupid McSorley's stick, who knows how that series would have turned out. If you wanna be p.o.ed that the Habs won that series, be mad about the rabbit out of your hat premonition Demeurs had to measure McSorely's stick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Fair enough bruinsdiehard.  That said, you missed out on some miserable times when it comes to the Habs and are maybe too young to remember the 88 Bruins conducting an exorcism on forum ice.  I'll never forget that series.  Michael Thelven is an all time great Bruin for the "slash" to Richer's thumb in game 1 of that series.  Was reminded again of that after Boychuk "Thelvened" Vanek in game 2 this playoff.  Anyway, with age comes patience.  The Habs can lose soon enough but before they do, I am so OK with them making our road an easier one.  If they lose, I'll still have some pleasure.  Either way...screw the Habs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsdiehard. Show bruinsdiehard's posts

Fair enough bruinsdiehard.  That said, you missed out on some miserable times when it comes to the Habs and are maybe too young to remember the 88 Bruins conducting an exorcism on forum ice.  I'll never forget that series.  Michael Thelven is an all time great Bruin for the "slash" to Richer's thumb in game 1 of that series.  Was reminded again of that after Boychuk "Thelvened" Vanek in game 2 this playoff.  Anyway, with age comes patience.  The Habs can lose soon enough but before they do, I am so OK with them making our road an easier one.  If they lose, I'll still have some pleasure.  Either way...screw the Habs.     
    Posted by misterpaulo

Trust me I've suffered my fair share of misery that any Bruins fan is required to suffer at the hands of Mtl. My dad and I have been buying packages for tickets for years, and I was at the garden (or the fleet center as it was called) for all of the Bruins home playoff games including game 7 of 2004. Then in 2007, I was so inspired by that game 6 performance i went and bought tickets for game 7 in mtl. May forever stand as the worst game I ever attended as a Bruins fan, it was like the puck bounced for them in every way possible, especially that goal off Hnidy's stick. Although seeing firsthand how those fools nearly burned their city to the ground after that game made up a little for it ; )

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS : Here is another poster that shows why I put forth my scenario.  NEVER EVER ROOT FOR MONTREAL I guess we both have different ideas on who the Bruins will have an easier time with in the next round.  While Fleury might have better stats than Boucher, Bruins just beat the "best goalie in the world" in Ryan Miller.  It's not all about the goalie (although about 90% is!) Regardless of who they play, lets hope they make the Conference Finals and beyond. Go B's
    Posted by gapc

OK you convinced me !!!! Go HA..........no screw that . Let's go Caps. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I'm watyching this game with great anticipation.  All the Hab fans I know have called me and wanting me to be on their side. LOL...  For those who know me you know the answer. 
    Let's just say I told them, anytime you want me to buy you a drink and shoot the sh_it it'll be my pleasure but this ..... NEVER !
    For all you Bruin fans that are saying Go Habs Go , go on one their boards, chat with them and you will see they're all  going to win tonite and end up in the final.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

I'm watyching this game with great anticipation.  All the Hab fans I know have called me and wanting me to be on their side. LOL...  For those who know me you know the answer.  Let's just say I told them, anytime you want me to buy you a drink and shoot the sh_it it'll be my pleasure but this ..... NEVER ! For all you Bruin fans that are saying Go Habs Go , go on one their boards, chat with them and you will see they're all  going to win tonite and end up in the final.
    Posted by BsLegion

Bslegion my friend. Despite all the respect I have for your thoughtful comments. When will you finally admit that you tremble with fear of seeing your so beloved Bruins facing the Habs?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Fans: STOP SUGGESTING WE ROOT FOR THE HABS : Bslegion my friend. Despite all the respect I have for your thoughtful comments. When will you finally admit that you tremble with fear of seeing your so beloved Bruins facing the Habs?
    Posted by BlueChip99

Bruins would have more trouble with the Flyers than they would the Habs.

And the Bruins will have little trouble with the  Flyers.