Bruins favorite to land Kovalchuck?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Re: KOVALCHUK!

Yeah, and this story stems from the interview on the Sports Hub a couple days ago where PC was asked this EXACT question, while he wouldn't name players he said he def. would consider a 2 month rental for one of the draft picks rec'd for Kessel for a high impact player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfany2k. Show bruinsfany2k's posts

If we're struggling and need a spark I'd do it, and pray we can afford to resign him after the fact. If however we're doing great than we should focus on a different player to fill what surely will be needed to fill a hole do to injury and such

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

In Response to Re: KOVALCHUK!:
    [QUOTE]If we're struggling and need a spark I'd do it, and pray we can afford to resign him after the fact.
    Posted by bruinsfany2k[/QUOTE]

The Bruins have seven 1st round picks in the next 4 years. I'm not really worried about losing 1 pick if it means renting a player like Kovalchuk for the playoffs. Next years draft class is supposedly weak too, if Toronto is doing well, and we are doing well, why not make a rental trade with a 1st rnd pick?

and p.s. Kovalchuk /> kessel

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IceGoalie3014. Show IceGoalie3014's posts

In Response to KOVALCHUK!:
    [QUOTE]Weei post claims the Bruins are frontrunners to land Kovalchuck at the deadline if he does'nt resign with Atlanta. http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/214058/kessel-deal-could-open-door-kovalchuk
    Posted by ditclapper[/QUOTE]

I really need to shake my head here.  Although I don't see it out of the realm of possibility, it does NOT state that the Bruins are FRONTRUNNERS to land Kovalchuk.  It is simply facts and scenarios that COULD bring him here.  I know you must have been excited when you read it because I was as well.  However, you should read thoroughly and then respond correctly.  This reminds me of a childhood game called "Telephone."  You start with "Bobby thinks Jenny is cute" and end up with "Jenny's mom has long toe hairs, and Bobby thinks that's awesome." 

Please take this with a grain of salt for the time being people and see how the season goes.  I'm sure the Bruins will be buyers at the deadline given the amount of picks and the prospects in Providence but, don't go claiming this guy the next Bruin before the season even starts.

1 more week!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pezell04x. Show Pezell04x's posts

In Response to KOVALCHUK!:
    [QUOTE]Weei post claims the Bruins are frontrunners to land Kovalchuck at the deadline if he does'nt resign with Atlanta. http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/214058/kessel-deal-could-open-door-kovalchuk

Did you read the post or did you just read the title and make the rest up in that brain of yours?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rockett7. Show rockett7's posts

I you thought Kessel was bad Defensivley....You should see Kovalchuk...he's been benhed numerous times in his career for his AWFUL Defensive play

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I think some of you missed the link in the link:
    According to Joe Haggerty
    "The cadre of draft picks and collection of young talent the Bruins have compiled over the last two years bestows the Black and Gold with the biggest, baddest fishing rod to haul in that particular prize. It’s a similar situation to that of the Pittsburgh Penguins two years ago, when they hauled in Marian Hossa from the very same Thrashers team en route to a Stanley Cup finals run. Kovalchuk could become this year’s version of Hossa."
    Trade deadline is a long, long ways away though.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

And he has some impressive history with Savard.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ditclapper. Show ditclapper's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to KOVALCHUK! : I really need to shake my head here.  Although I don't see it out of the realm of possibility, it does NOT state that the Bruins are FRONTRUNNERS to land Kovalchuk.  It is simply facts and scenarios that COULD bring him here.  I know you must have been excited when you read it because I was as well.  However, you should read thoroughly and then respond correctly.  This reminds me of a childhood game called "Telephone."  You start with "Bobby thinks Jenny is cute" and end up with "Jenny's mom has long toe hairs, and Bobby thinks that's awesome."  Please take this with a grain of salt for the time being people and see how the season goes.  I'm sure the Bruins will be buyers at the deadline given the amount of picks and the prospects in Providence but, don't go claiming this guy the next Bruin before the season even starts. 1 more week!!
    Posted by IceGoalie3014[/QUOTE]

O.K. tough guy -- Frontrunner is my word. But name me another contending team with the picks, young talent, and former linemate with Savards' credentials. Like the story says, where there is smoke there is fire.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcl77. Show mcl77's posts

reunite him with Savard!!  Let's go!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]And he has some impressive history with Savard.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

QFT

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dangr76. Show dangr76's posts

gees the season hasn't even started yet......little premature don't you think!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

I hate renting players. I want to keep them. For me, it's like handing a little kid a great big ice cream, and saying they can only have one bite of it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

hey, its fun to dream. If we do add Kovalchuk, it will be interesting to see how quickly P.C. goes from a goat to a genius

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IceGoalie3014. Show IceGoalie3014's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: KOVALCHUK! : O.K. tough guy -- Frontrunner is my word. But name me another contending team with the picks, young talent, and former linemate with Savards' credentials. Like the story says, where there is smoke there is fire.

That's fine, if you think they are.  However, you self-proclaiming them "frontrunners" is just asinine and your own personal fabricated opinion.  It's wayyyyy too early to consider anyone frontrunners.  I'll meet you halfway and say they are definitely set-up to make one big move and possibly even two but, let's worry about getting to Christmas before we talk about a February deadline.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

If there is any way to get this guy it must be explored. He has sick offensive skills, and could take this team to another level,. I would only want him if there was a real strong possibility we could keep him. I think he's only 26 yrs old?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Disk0thek. Show Disk0thek's posts

How on earth would we get him under the cap?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

[QUOTE]I think some of you missed the link in the link: According to Joe Haggerty "The cadre of draft picks and collection of young talent the Bruins have compiled over the last two years bestows the Black and Gold with the biggest, baddest fishing rod to haul in that particular prize. It’s a similar situation to that of the Pittsburgh Penguins two years ago, when they hauled in Marian Hossa from the very same Thrashers team en route to a Stanley Cup finals run. Kovalchuk could become this year’s version of Hossa." Trade deadline is a long, long ways away though.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Right , and look what Hossa brought the Pens two years ago-- zilch.  I doubt our management would go for a rental.  They seem more interested in building fundamentals. With Savard's conrtract coming up also next year, they might want to get both contracted, even by letting some others go  (Ryder?  )   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Similar claibre player of AK and trade last year at deadline.

To Calgary: c olli jokinen 5.25M  +  2009 3rd rd. pick

To Phoenix:   c matthew lombardi 1.87M
    LW Brandon prust   n2009 or 2010 1st rd. picks

This year AK at 6.4  M sal cap at deadline cost to us.

39 days left of 193=.202 of salary 6.4 m = 1.29 Salary cap to us this year at trade deadline.

AK will fit in the cap and with a roster player sent included we could possibly trade for him as early as 60 days ~=$2M Feb 11.

A trade of Sobotka and another minor leaguer and draft would get us AK for playoff run and the sooner the better for respark with Savard.

Offseason will become a cash crunch time with cap issues. To keep Sav and AK would be very hard if Cap decreases as it is supposed to. If not they will have to sign a cap friendly contract no matter where they go.  Savard knows he will not be signed for more than 5M unless he signs similar to TT structure. Ak will be in the same boat unless he fills the net and gets a cup.

Ryder would be gone or a Sturm shipping will be required to keep them and some of their youth.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenian1967. Show fenian1967's posts

He is 26 but you would have to trade half the team to fit him under the cap. As a rental he would be perfect, motivated, driven by money and a chance to win a cup.

He will not resign in Atlanta and those leaf picks will help with a long playoff run for the Bruins

And we still won't have the J.D. (Nancy) drew of the NHL in Kessell

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: KOVALCHUK! : Right , and look what Hossa brought the Pens two years ago-- zilch.  I doubt our management would go for a rental.  They seem more interested in building fundamentals. With Savard's contract coming up also next year, they might want to get both contracted, even by letting some others go  (Ryder?  )   
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]
    I'm not a big fan of rentals either, but Hossa did at least help get the Penguins to the finals. 
    Realistically, I don't see how they would keep him after this year unless he, Savard, and all/most of the RFAs sign really cap friendly contracts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Can't see it. Bruins aren't going to trade all those picks to get a guy for 4 months, and they're certainly not going to pay the big bucks for his contract when it expires.

Just isn't the style of the team, owner, and present GM. And in this case, I think it makes sense that they don't go after him, given the insane cost.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

[QUOTE]He is 26 but you would have to trade half the team to fit him under the cap. As a rental he would be perfect, motivated, driven by money and a chance to win a cup. He will not resign in Atlanta and those leaf picks will help with a long playoff run for the Bruins And we still won't have the J.D. (Nancy) drew of the NHL in Kessell
    Posted by fenian1967[/QUOTE]

You're comparing Kessel and Drew? Kessel played all 82 games of the season in his rookie year

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Chiarelli is definitely going to spin some of those picks with a player for someone. I doubt all of opposing fans would like it if the Bs were to get Ilya now or at the trade deadline. It wouldn't surprise me if this was Chiarelli's intent the whole time.

If Kovalchuk is available I would explore it. PC has 5 of the first 60 picks in the 2010. One of those picks with Ryder would be fine with me. Ryders 30 goals could be replaced this year by Ilya then next year with a free agent.

PC has somewhere between 15Mil and 19Mil next off season. I say go do it get it done if he is indeed available. The owner of the Thrashers has to be just about in the same position as the current owner in Phoenix almost broke. I could see the Thrashers in Winnipeg in a few years. Either way PC and Kovalchuk have options.

True Sniper Kovalchuk has had 2 seasons of 50 goals with and without Savard! The man can put the biscuit in the basket!

Season       Team        GP  G   A    P
                                  2005-2006  Thrashers  78  52  46  98
                                  2007-2008  Thrashers  79  52  35  87