Bruins have 12,555 dollars in cap space...what r we gonna do with Seguin and Wheeler?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosfan581. Show bosfan581's posts

Bruins have 12,555 dollars in cap space...what r we gonna do with Seguin and Wheeler?

expecting a trade soon...?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vilho. Show Vilho's posts

Re: Bruins have 12,555 dollars in cap space...what r we gonna do with Seguin and Wheeler?

cap space is fine considering Sturm will be on ltir.  When he comes back, depending on when that is, players salaries will have been reduced by a couple of months of the season having gone by so cap space will not be AS bad prorated (to my knowledge), not to mention that guys DO get hurt during the year, so it's always possible somebody else has gone down and replaces sturm.

I say keep who we have now unless a good deal comes up, but otherwise, wait and cross that bridge when it comes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Bruins have 12,555 dollars in cap space...what r we gonna do with Seguin and Wheeler?

$12,555?!?!

We've got to tell Henny Penny!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

When Sturm is placed on LTIR, there will be enough cap space for both Wheeler and Seguin. If/when Sturm returns, barring injuries, the Bruins can dump salary easily by stuffing Ryder in Providence, trading him for draft picks if he is producing, or trade Savard or Thomas.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins have 12,555 dollars in cap space...what r we gonna do with Seguin and Wheeler?:
    When Sturm is placed on LTIR, there will be enough cap space for both Wheeler and Seguin. If/when Sturm returns, barring injuries, the Bruins can dump salary easily by stuffing Ryder in Providence, trading him for draft picks if he is producing, or trade Savard or Thomas.
    Posted by BlackandGold24

If Ryder is producing, then why get rid of him?  Ryder still has one of the best shots on this team, and if he's finding the twine, there is a good chance we're top 3 in the east.  So why unload then? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Relax!  The Bruins have a high priced "accountant" that will make things work. Thats why he gets paid.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Clearly sign them both to 51 year deals with a $6100 cap hit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

I can't believe the Jacobs family!  Trying to pocket $12,000.  Why can't they ever spend enough to make us competitive?  

On a serious note...I don't think the cap space will be an issue when all is said and done.  Seguin will be on the roster and my guess is that Wheeler will be as well.  We have Sturm's space until he returns and Ryder will be out the door or in Providence if need be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

The intrigue will be in seeing who goes when Sturm returns.  That is, who is playing well and who not.  Low man out. 

Now, if everyone is playing GREAT.....well, that will be a problem. 

But think of it this way-- we'll have a lot to blog about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from blydon75. Show blydon75's posts

On the cap issue, I suggest you read KPD's article on Sunday spelling out that the cap issue is "overblown" at this point. Though I think KPD is a tool, this article was right on. There are many options/resolutions such as placing Sturm on LTIR, moving Ryder to the minors, using the bonus cushion for Seguin's bonuses, a second buyout period after Wheeler's arbitration hearing, and the fact that the Bruins can in fact go over the cap heading into training camp.  It isn't until opening night where they have to satisfy the cap. In order to meet the cap, my prediction is that they place Sturm on LTIR, then place Ryder on waivers and send him to Providence if nobody picks him up. This would totally clear his cap hit and you replace him with Hamill, Colborne, Sauve, or Caron, who have significantly lower cap hits.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I would argue the article is not right on, and the issue is not overblown, we will be extremely tight to the cap (technically we will be using an exception that allows us to be over) when sturm returns its not a simple posturing move.  We will have to move 2-3 m of salary to activate sturm, and then move pieces around to free up the cap space.

If rask is having a down year and we need thomas, and ryder is having a career year, and the team is playing well, moving 3m in cap space will be extremely difficult, sending ryder down when it is clear sturm will not replace his production will not be a good move (not to mention the probability of him getting claimed etc)..

If your PC, and a bruins fan you want a real plan in place before we get there.. I for one am not sold on waiting and the season will shake things out, because if our high cost players are playing well the hand may be forced in a way that is not desirable..

Imaging having to move ryder when there are no options to free up that cap space and he is in the middle of a 60 point campaign and the only interested taker is say montreal who we are in the middle of a play off race with?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins have 12,555 dollars in cap space...what r we gonna do with Seguin and Wheeler?:
    In Response to Re: Bruins have 12,555 dollars in cap space...what r we gonna do with Seguin and Wheeler? : If Ryder is producing, then why get rid of him?  Ryder still has one of the best shots on this team, and if he's finding the twine, there is a good chance we're top 3 in the east.  So why unload then? 
    Posted by Drewski5

I don't think he has one of the best shots on the team.  He takes a year and a day to load it up, which leads to losing it or having it blocked all night long.

I have a lot of optomistic views for the B's, but I just can't go glass-half-full on Ryder.  I will be thrilled if he blows up and I'm 100% wrong, but there is little to suggest that will happen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from McKodiak5. Show McKodiak5's posts

Capgeek also has McQuaid factored in because they have the Bruins short one forward. With Sturm on the IR and McQuaid in Providence that puts the cap at $4,087,229. seems reasonable enough to sign Wheeler and Seguin to start the season.

I read that The Bruins could always send Ryder down to Providence when Sturm comes back if there is no room for Sturm. How can they do that? He'd have to clear waivers, correct?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins have 12,555 dollars in cap space...what r we gonna do with Seguin and Wheeler? : I don't think he has one of the best shots on the team.  He takes a year and a day to load it up, which leads to losing it or having it blocked all night long. I have a lot of optomistic views for the B's, but I just can't go glass-half-full on Ryder.  I will be thrilled if he blows up and I'm 100% wrong, but there is little to suggest that will happen.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Thanks for the insight. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Capgeek also has McQuaid factored in because they have the Bruins short one forward. With Sturm on the IR and McQuaid in Providence that puts the cap at $4,087,229. seems reasonable enough to sign Wheeler and Seguin to start the season. I read that The Bruins could always send Ryder down to Providence when Sturm comes back if there is no room for Sturm. How can they do that? He'd have to clear waivers, correct?
    Posted by McKodiak5

Yes he would and the bruins would probably lose him if he is having a decent season, but will need to move 3.5 ish mill so our options would be extremely limited as to who we could send down...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I would argue the article is not right on, and the issue is not overblown, we will be extremely tight to the cap (technically we will be using an exception that allows us to be over) when sturm returns its not a simple posturing move.  We will have to move 2-3 m of salary to activate sturm, and then move pieces around to free up the cap space. If rask is having a down year and we need thomas, and ryder is having a career year, and the team is playing well, moving 3m in cap space will be extremely difficult, sending ryder down when it is clear sturm will not replace his production will not be a good move (not to mention the probability of him getting claimed etc).. If your PC, and a bruins fan you want a real plan in place before we get there.. I for one am not sold on waiting and the season will shake things out, because if our high cost players are playing well the hand may be forced in a way that is not desirable.. Imaging having to move ryder when there are no options to free up that cap space and he is in the middle of a 60 point campaign and the only interested taker is say montreal who we are in the middle of a play off race with?
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Without doing the math...if Ryder is experiencing a re-birth, Ference is the one to go.  When searching for a reason for that contract, the only thing I came up with is that it could be moved if needed.  Teams will take Ference for picks or prospects, and that should be enough wiggle room for the cap crunch. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Man I gotta watch Clark Howard he'll no what to do with $12,555!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins have 12,555 dollars in cap space...what r we gonna do with Seguin and Wheeler? : Without doing the math...if Ryder is experiencing a re-birth, Ference is the one to go.  When searching for a reason for that contract, the only thing I came up with is that it could be moved if needed.  Teams will take Ference for picks or prospects, and that should be enough wiggle room for the cap crunch. 
    Posted by scooter244

I am not 100% sure that will clear enough room (we would have to be able to add wheeler and seguin for less then that amount I believe) for that to hold true.  when I do the math (2.5 for wheeler and 900k for seguin) that puts us about 2.6m over the cap, ference is not enough space.

But even if that does work, now we are relying on boychuk, mcquaid and hunwick to all fulfill top 6 roles? With no 7th d man on the roster...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Clearly sign them both to 51 year deals with a $6100 cap hit.
    Posted by bandgbleeder

This made me laugh. Thanks man.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins have 12,555 dollars in cap space...what r we gonna do with Seguin and Wheeler? : This made me laugh. Thanks man.
    Posted by CHARAWINSTHENORRIS

Cleary we have established 15 year deals = good
    17 year deals = bad

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Capgeek also has McQuaid factored in because they have the Bruins short one forward. With Sturm on the IR and McQuaid in Providence that puts the cap at $4,087,229. seems reasonable enough to sign Wheeler and Seguin to start the season. I read that The Bruins could always send Ryder down to Providence when Sturm comes back if there is no room for Sturm. How can they do that? He'd have to clear waivers, correct?
    Posted by McKodiak5

Yeah, Ryder would have to clear waivers alright, but it's surprising how few takers there are lined up, chomping at the bit to get their hands on a $4M a year 33 point producer. Go figure. Let's try this exercise to make the point clear...try saying "PASS" 29 times. Got it now?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IShawnPI. Show IShawnPI's posts

If rask is having a down year and we need thomas, and ryder is having a career year, and the team is playing well, moving 3m in cap space will be extremely difficult, sending ryder down when it is clear sturm will not replace his production will not be a good move (not to mention the probability of him getting claimed etc

If thats the case then either you dont activate Sturm or you waive him. Waiving Sturm after two ACL/MCL tears two years in a row would hardly be an issue. I dont think anyone is going to take on his salary. If a player with a big salary gets injured, you pull him back up. Even at half the cost with those kind of untested injuries, I have a hard time believing anyone will take the risk on it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

How many times do we have to ask the same questions over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over. Come up with something new or go outside and get a life. The Bruins are in fine shape. Lots of time to get everything in place.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

is anyone going to address the biggest issue with this post, that we actually have more cap room than that?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins have 12,555 dollars in cap space...what r we gonna do with Seguin and Wheeler? : Cleary we have established 15 year deals = good 17 year deals = bad
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Yes, absolutely, the NHL has invited a grievance/lawsuit with this decision. I don't blame them for being miffed at this deal, and I'm glad they quashed it, but they are definitely going to have a fight on their hands over this for just the reason you've pointed out...they've let other, similar deals stand previously. It seems this one was the last straw. Here we go, boys, the gloves are off. Let's hope we don't lose another season.

Sections
Shortcuts