BRUINS INTERESTED IN RAY WHITNEY (Carolina)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Re: BRUINS INTERESTED IN RAY WHITNEY (Carolina)

Soderberg came so cheap because his team knew he was never leaving his country for the NHL.

Ray Whitney IS a legitimate 1st or 2nd line scorer...he has scored more points than most of Boston's top two line scorers over the last few seasons. Who cares about age?! It's a deadline deal...to be used for one thing: a playoff run. Your not bringing a guy in to become a core part of your future team! My goodness people.

Dont listen to these under-educated hockey minds poster...Whitney was a very valid suggestion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazybsfan04. Show crazybsfan04's posts

In Response to Re: BRUINS INTERESTED IN RAY WHITNEY (Carolina):
    Ray is WAY TOO OLD..he must be close to 40! I would do it for a 5th round pick at best!
    Posted by bruinsGENIUS

way too old?and close to 40.well recchi is 41! and even that old man can still hack it!plus he hits pretty hard and owns good hands, a solid net front presence,and is a proven scorer.so if that old man can still hack it then who's to say a 37 year old ray whitney couldn't provide as good a scoring touch as recchi?!adding whitney would be a great thing anyways, because one more veteran couldn't hurt, and plus he and recchi have played together before. so i'm all for that move as long as we don't give up a 1st or 2nd round pick to get him.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

dhitch, you could be right but you have to admit the size of the scoring forwards is questionable... you need size or a lot of grit in the playoffs.  Whitney has grit.  He will cost a high pick.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

Let's face it, making a good trade will be almost impossible.  Take a look up to now, hardly any deals!

Why?  Duh!  So many teams are in the playoff hunt, and so many teams have fat contracts they can't get rid of.

Boston's trading partners are limited.  Carolina, Anaheim, Minnesota, St-Louis, and maybe Columbus.  They will be stuck with a Ray Whitney or a Keith Tkachuk or a Teemu Selanne.  Period.

I hope I'm wrong, would love to see Boston scoop up a guy like Alexander Frolov or Dustin Brown in the coming weeks. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Whitney is not the biggest but he is more like Sobotka small than Kessel small. I doubt you'll ever see him standing by the half board waiting for someone else to dig the puck out Tongue out

Age is a concern but its not as if he's expected to be around for the long haul ( same could be said of Selanne ).

I just don't see a talented young player coming in before the deadline unless similar goes in the opposite direction. That'd be at least the TO pick + prospects or a talented young player of our own which, given length of contract, age and depth at any position would probably be Krejci ( and no I wouldn't want to ).

There's plenty of opportunity to see how the draft pans out and pick up free agents in the summer but as far as an upgrade this season 'Rent-a-wreck' may be the best option in terms of preserving the current core and picks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

Thanks guys for the input on Carl Soderburg...looking more and more like St Louis out manouvered us again on yet another trade....but at least Toivannen never panned out either but both had possibilities at one point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

a veteran rental is the answer.  not only will it give the offense a much needed boost it sends a message to the rest of the roster that the management thinks they have a chance to win now.  pittsburgh did it with kunitz and guerin.  canes did it with recchi and weight.  provided the additions are quality team guys, a move like this is a good idea.  2nd rounder is fine and prospects are fine.  with all these high pics, even if we kept them all, there would never be a day when they all sign in beantown.  too many high pics with only so many roster spots.  use 1 or 2 of them to go shopping.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

. Dont listen to these under-educated hockey minds poster...Whitney was a very valid suggestion.
    Posted by dhitch

An educated hockey mind would know that stats alone are not what makes a top line player, but hey...what do I know? :)

Whitney is a valid suggestion-- but not to come in and be the scorer that Boston needs. He scores about 3 or 4 goals a month, which is not a guy you put on your top lines if you're looking to win the Cup, and that was ostensibly the Bruins goal when the season started. He could perhaps help the Bruins anemic power play, perhaps, but again--I don't see him being enough of an addition to justify trading for him if you have to give up anything of value--even considering the Bruins stockpile of draft choices.

If the Bruins needed a guy to play a role and add to the depth scoring, OK. And that may not be a terrible idea, given the reality that nobody is lighting the lamp this season with any real frequency. But Whitney will likely not, either, and I just don't think it's worth giving up very much to get him. While it's possible he could go on a tear with a new team, I just don't see it as being likely, and that's why I don't think he makes the Bruins that much more dangerous a team to play against.

Would it be a terrible move? No. I just don't think it changes much is all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Not a bad move in my mind with the picks you still have this off-season if it was done. It wouldn't hurt you!
    What about Mueller? THought I heard rumor last week he was being shopped by Pho? Could be a younger burst of life, much the way Paille brought life to this teams PK.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

When young guys get shopped by rebuilding teams, be afraid.  If Mueller doesn't want to play hard for Tippett, why would he play hard for Julie?

There really are slim pickens out there, and not just because so many teams are in the hunt.  The trade targets floating here sound like people expect this to be like Dim Sum - just point, ask the price, and pay up.  Dustin Brown?  Why would the Kings deal a player like that when they're 2 points out of the Western Conference lead?  Frolov, sure, there's issues - but see Mueller above!  There was talk about Chicago moving Sharp or Byfuglien, but why would they do that when they have a shot at the Cup?  Unless it was to bring back a better netminder than Huet Lewis.  Asset management arguments only work for teams that don't have a shot - provided you have the sole option (I throw that in for the Kessel crowd).

What the Bruins need is what they expected from Ryder and Sturm - guys who play like 30 goal-scorers (I'm putting aside whether this is a valid expectation for Sturm).  How many of those are out there and up for grabs?  Maybe Selanne.  If the Avs and 'yotes come back to reality and look like they might miss the playoffs, maybe you add Hejduk and Doan. 

The hockey gods would be smiling if Chiarelli could find a Sturm or Ryder on another team and swap one for one.  They're in this odd position where they probably don't want to take a chance on trading 'proven' players for a young player whose stuck in another system and, even though they have the assets to pick up a proven guy, there aren't many of those to be had.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from s2e42o. Show s2e42o's posts

I mentioned Whitney in one of my posts about a couple of weeks ago as possible targets for the B's that would not cost a lot.. he sure would help the PP.. and can jump in to the 1st or second line winger... The guy I would like would be Bobby Ryan who I have been preaching for a long while, but he would cost a bit, but not as much as say, Kovalchuk..  Whitney is a good start..
    Posted by cowboys9

Bobby Ryan would be awesome but I don't think the Ducks will trade him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Thanks guys for the input on Carl Soderburg...looking more and more like St Louis out manouvered us again on yet another trade....but at least Toivannen never panned out either but both had possibilities at one point.
    Posted by saultont

Still plenty of time for Toivenin! He's only 24. Sodenberg is another Zidenov or whatever his name was from a few yrs ago. He's doesn't want to play in NA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Lets get Samsonov back......

Sections
Shortcuts