Bruins - Keys to Winning the Philly Series

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4ever23. Show bruinsfan4ever23's posts

Bruins - Keys to Winning the Philly Series

1st and foremost is they need to do a better job of getting the puck outof their zone.  I see 2 sometime 3 boston players with each other, you give it to me i give it to you like hot potatos.   2nd, please if anyone from the Bruins org watching this, tell Wideman NOT to caugh it up, with Lav style of attack , sure enough phily will be come at them fast and strong.  Tell Wideman to stop thinking too much of himself or anything and stick to the game plan.  Oh this goes to Ryder, Hunwich and Lucic, when it doubt shoot it out!!!! simeple its called releive the pressure.  3rd, do not force the powerplay, if it for the Ds or whomever is playing point if the pucks gets away, think protection of puck and keep it in the offesive zone... so what you have to take a faceoff outside atleast you dont give up a breakaway or odd man rush!!! and folks those are my keys to winning a series, oh and keep playing the way you have been.  GREAT JOB! so far

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

Re: Bruins - Keys to Winning the Philly Series

Actually you are pretty spot on, guys like Richards and Giroux are upping their game and this is what they do so well, anticipate the puck. The Bruins defense will need help getting the puck out of the zone, whereas Pronger is a zone killer, his passes are quick and can break the zone traps quickly. Overall it is going to come down to Rask and Boucher, who can keep the soft goals out of the net. These are not going to be 5-4 games, most likey 2-1 or 1-0, which means any soft goal or "lucky" bounces will make or break the series.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

They need to protect Marc Savard at all costs.  The first Flyers player who throws a high hit at Savvy needs to be jumped and pummeled immediately, whether it is Hartnell or Pronger.  Penalties be damned.  You know that Savard will be a target.  That has to be nipped in the bud early.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

Do a better job of getting the puck out? They let up 11 goals in 5 games, not counting the Game 5 stinker in which they let up 4.

I've got some better Keys to Winning:

1) TAKE. THE. BODY.  Philly loves the physical style, and I hope Boston continues to throw the weight around, a welcome change from the regular season

2) Quick and efficient break out passes.  The Bruins caught Buffalo off guard because they moved the puck up ice quickly and confidently, something they hadn't really done all year.

3) Keep working hard on the PK.  I'm not sure who's healthy or not for Philly, but they have some serious guns up front that can do some damage on the PP.  After shutting out the Sabres' PP, I think it's fair to be concerned about being TOO confident on the PK.

4) Don't expect Savard to carry the offense.  The team is finally scoring, so I hope they don't think their troubles are over just because #91 is back on the ice.  They should be preparing to play with a very rusty Savard and continue to grind out goals.  If Savard is better than that, great.  But if not, the Bruins needs to have the same mentality as before.  Obviously CJ and the staff are preaching this, but it seems like this bunch doesn't always get the message right away.

5) Limit Ference and McQuaid when possible.  Not sure if it was because of his lack of minutes in the Buffalo series, but Ference was certainly not playing with playoff intensity.  Whether it's mental or physical, Ference is definitely the #5 right now and should not take any minutes away from Chara, Boychuk, Wideman, and Hunwick.  People bashing Wideman and Hunwick... back off bc they've played great.

6) Don't get comfortable.  The worst thing that could have happened to the Bruins last year is they took it to Carolina in Game 1, then thought the series was over.  Even against a depleted Philly team, it's crucial this team doesn't take a night off (i.e. - Game 5 in Buffalo).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

take the body  on  Richards and Giroux  every time they get the puck ,make them pay ,same way they did to vanek,,dump the puck in prongers coner every time ,ware him out ,he,ll make mistakes ,this should help the bruins in this series

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

I'd like to see the Bruins continue to activate their defense into the offensive zone as they did a number of times against Buffalo. It's a bit dangerous, but it does increase the pressure on the D men and offer some opportunties to score.

And most importantly, get to the "dirty" areas around the Philly net. This is where I think the team that sacrifices the most will win. Yes, you can get hurt by incoming pucks and/or D Men pounding on you, but it's also the place where pucks come lose and can be poked in for key goals.

Finally, we have to be effective on the PP at putting pucks in. Philly is going to get their fair of penalties I'm sure and we have to make them pay!

And it goes without saying, Tuuka is going to have to continue his stellar play between the pipes if we want to get any deeper in the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins - Keys to Winning the Philly Series:
    They need to protect Marc Savard at all costs.  The first Flyers player who throws a high hit at Savvy needs to be jumped and pummeled immediately, whether it is Hartnell or Pronger.  Penalties be damned.  You know that Savard will be a target.  That has to be nipped in the bud early.
    Posted by Mutant211

Yup, I can tell how well that worked with Matt Cooke. And if you want to take out Hartnell be my guest.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

1. Special teams
    2. Goaltending
    3. Defense
    4. Special teams
    5. Special teams
    6. Special teams...

Just ask the Buffalo Labias and the Craps!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

The Buffalo Labias---lol!

Now since the Labias are out of the playoffs-- do the have to shave their playoff Beards? 

I am personally a fan of the "landing strip"!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

I agree that Pronger is not as good as he use to be.  They need to force him to make some mistakes.  He makes brutal plays under pressure.  I am affraid that they could try to take Savard out.  I would not be scared if they would play within the rules but the Flyers are the Flyers!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Philly has the leading power play in the playoffs so far.  The Bruins lead the NHL playoffs in penalty killing.  Bruins would make their job easier by avoiding stupid penalties.  Discipline will be required. 

Beware:  stereotypes may not apply.  During their series vs. NJ, Philly avoided dumb penalties, and that includes even Carcillo who scored a couple of goals. 

Boucher's every bit as hot as Rask.  B's will have to go after him with the same zeal they showed vs. Ryan Miller. 

My other concern is B's might take the Phliars lightly.  They took season series 2-1-1, and are coming off what most saw as a first-round upset of Sabres.  B's have yet to show they play well after they've basked in the glory of winning a bit (see Game 5 at Buffalo, not to mention Carolina series last year on heels of sweeping Montreal).  Until they show it, I won't believe it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

1.wear body armor.

2.knock carcillo the **ck out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Tell Lucic "Carcillo is Italian for Komisarek" or better yet, tell Carcillo that Carcillo is Italian for Komisarek.

Don't change the offensive game plan.  If it worked against Miller, it'll work against Boucher.

Follow the Bergeron plan - rush Pronger with speed.  Bergie made him look like a putz in the regular season.

Have the right guys irritate the bejeezus out of Richards - the way they had Begin going after Kaleta.  Best way to deal with skilled agitators is to sick your own agitator on them.

Put the puck in the net.  Keep the puck out of the net.  Hockey's a pretty simple game....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

avoid the "retaliation" penalty

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from deejm2112. Show deejm2112's posts

Many good points here, don't expect too much from Savard, smart breakouts (that means you Wideman), goaltending, not taking stupid penalties, and strong physical play.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Keys are:
    1. Don't let the agitators take key Bruin players off their game.  I'm thinking Chara in particular.  They will run him, high-stick him, hook him....anything to get under his skin.  Chara needs to be on the ice and not in the penalty box for the Bruins to win.  No retaliation penalties.
    2. Shoot a lot and get bodies in front of the Flyer goaltender.  He had a great series (mostly on adrenline?)  but he can't keep that up. 
    3. Put a body on the Flyer defencemen every chance they get, especially Pronger.  Keep the pressure in their defensive zone and don't let them set up in the Bruin defensive zone.  They have good finishers
    4. Stay out of the penalty box.  The flyer PP is much better than the hapless Sabre PP.  They will try and run Rask or get in his face any chance they get.  Stay tough but don't get stupid.
    5. Continue to convert on the PP.  15-20% on the PP will be a must as I think the Flyers will take a lot of penalties

I'd love to see a Bruin/Hab conference final just for the sheer entertainment value!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from asfdasdf22. Show asfdasdf22's posts

Go Flyers! Long live the Orange & Black!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater99. Show skater99's posts

Those little back passes on & around their own goal line by the Bruins drive me nuts. This style went away towards the end of the regular season & I thought they were cured. It reared it's ugly head a few times versus the Sabres though. You can rarely get away with those against good teams for very long. I happened to watch quite a bit of the Philly-NJ series & the Flyer forecheck was fierce. There were long stretches of those games where the Devils didn't even have the puck for more than one pass before the Flyers got it back & just buzzed the Devil net before Brodeur either was able to freeze the puck, let up a goal, the Devils had to take a penalty or they had to ice the puck.

So my key to winning is beating the Flyer forecheck & making them chase the Bruins down the ice. Bruins need to go north-south through the neutral zone get the puck cleanly over the blue line, create some chances, then get their own forecheck going. The pucks when dumped in need to go deep & with a purpose so if a line change is in order they can hopefully realize their full potential (see Recchi in game 3 vs Buffalo).

This is all basic stuff but all the players are so talented I feel the team that plays the more fundamentally sound games five on five will take this series. Boston should be favored because they have home-ice. The pressure is on them to hold serve right now.

SGK

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I'd like to see the Bruins continue to activate their defense into the offensive zone as they did a number of times against Buffalo. It's a bit dangerous, but it does increase the pressure on the D men and offer some opportunties to score. And most importantly, get to the "dirty" areas around the Philly net. This is where I think the team that sacrifices the most will win. Yes, you can get hurt by incoming pucks and/or D Men pounding on you, but it's also the place where pucks come lose and can be poked in for key goals. Finally, we have to be effective on the PP at putting pucks in. Philly is going to get their fair of penalties I'm sure and we have to make them pay! And it goes without saying, Tuuka is going to have to continue his stellar play between the pipes if we want to get any deeper in the playoffs.
    Posted by 4everbruins

Your thoughts on the D being more engaged on O, are huge.
    This tactical move, instituted late, late in the regular season is the key reason this team started having better, more consistent results.  It's also a monumental change to the overall "system".  The key is generating more offensive zone pressure, not mindless "pinching", and the Bruins did a good job of walking that fine line.
    Also agree that success is more about "continuing" to do certain things, as opposed to changing them.  Lot's of room for improvement, but no need to reinvent the wheel.  Lots to feel good about.  PP is converting at a reasonable ratio, and the pk has been outstanding.  Puck movement and breakout overall is good, but that always needs work.  Expect B's goaltending, at worst to be fine.
    Be nice to see a bit more offensive production, but this series probably won't be tailor made for that.
    Think the biggest thing is hunger.  Man for man, I feel the B's are more balanced, but in the playoffs, hunger and tenacity usually mean advancement.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

avoid the "retaliation" penalty
    Posted by 86redsox

Actually, I'd say something more like "no middle ground".  No tickytack retaliation.  Retaliate with prejudice.  Make it hurt.  A lot.  One of the tactical advantages of an outstanding PK is that you can afford to exact a price for that kind of chippiness.  It would only take one instance of Chara turning on a guy after a late, high hit, dropping his gloves, and wailing away for most of the Flyers to think twice about going into the corner with him.  Chara's actually strong enough to Ivan Drago guys - hold them up so they have to suffer further punishment.

Either that, or don't retaliate at all - initiate.  If Sobotka, Begin, Lucic can drive Richards and Briere to distraction before the Flyers can get on Chara, Rask, or Krejci, I think you'll see the Fillies responding to the Bruin agitators rather than aggravating key Bruin players.

And I love that Philadelphia named their baseball team after a young female horse.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Flyers in 6

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diggz. Show Diggz's posts

The PK is crucial...has to be spot on like it was in the Buffalo series.  Philly was 8 for 29 (27%) on the power play vs. New Jersey - the B's need to handle that PP unit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

take the body  on  Richards and Giroux  every time they get the puck ,make them pay ,same way they did to vanek,,dump the puck in prongers coner every time ,ware him out ,he,ll make mistakes ,this should help the bruins in this series
    Posted by bruinsfan084evr

Love your avatar BF... (we bought our masks at the same place!)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Keys are: 1. Don't let the agitators take key Bruin players off their game.  I'm thinking Chara in particular.  They will run him, high-stick him, hook him....anything to get under his skin.  Chara needs to be on the ice and not in the penalty box for the Bruins to win.  No retaliation penalties. 2. Shoot a lot and get bodies in front of the Flyer goaltender.  He had a great series (mostly on adrenline?)  but he can't keep that up.  3. Put a body on the Flyer defencemen every chance they get, especially Pronger.  Keep the pressure in their defensive zone and don't let them set up in the Bruin defensive zone.  They have good finishers 4. Stay out of the penalty box.  The flyer PP is much better than the hapless Sabre PP.  They will try and run Rask or get in his face any chance they get.  Stay tough but don't get stupid. 5. Continue to convert on the PP.  15-20% on the PP will be a must as I think the Flyers will take a lot of penalties I'd love to see a Bruin/Hab conference final just for the sheer entertainment value!
    Posted by LoveRealHockey

Kudos! Very nice analysis.  BTW Bookboy you have it right on Bergeron with Pronger.  Rush him, his days are numbered.  The rest of the defense are very vulnerable in that they have not played discipline all year long.  The Julien system can be questioned during the season but not NOW!  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

The real key to the series for the Bruins will be the style of play CJ allows-
    Pressure the Flyers Dmen in their own end with aggressive forechecking, take the body, stand up for eachother, and especially in front of the net and after whistles because you know what Philly is going to do.
     This winner of this series will have won the battle of imposing their will on their opponent. If the Bruins can play an aggressive style of play, they can win due to goaltending. If they are back on their heels being overly cautious, and too conservative...they will have a problem. This series will be about character not skill -

Sections
Shortcuts