Bruins Make Horrid First Round Pick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

On a day that saw teams make big moves, acquire higher positions and better there team, Boston drop a huge question mark.

Choosing Joe Colborne of the AJHL...a playmaker who many experts dont believe can playmake at the NHL level. Most scouts I spoke with had him going somewhere around 20-25th.

As well..he is a centerman...which many people on this board have discussed that the Bruins are deep in.

Again..baffled at this move..especially when extra pieces were laying around the roster that couldve saw the B's move up and nab one of those highly touted defensemen.

** Id just like to also point out that Olli Jokinen went to Phoenix for two old man defenseman and a 49th overall pick. This is a centerman who is now and most likely always will be leaps and bounds better than Colborne. Boston couldnt have traded their first round ppick and plethora of younger defenseman to acquire him? Baffled.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Id like to also point out that Boston chose Zach Hamill, a centerman playmaker, with their first pick last year. Again, that pick made no sense whatsoever.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsoxfan63. Show nhsoxfan63's posts

36 years and counting. lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from quirkstre. Show quirkstre's posts

i think the bruins scouts know what they are doing i mean the guy had 90 pts in 55 games which is impressive the only thing that confuses me is that he is a center which is something i didn't think we needed unless they plan on moving one of their other center prospects to the wing but you know if this kid can gain 20-30 lbs. and get rid of the whimpering and soft style and learn to throw his big frame around.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from quirkstre. Show quirkstre's posts

we might have something hear!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthony3063. Show anthony3063's posts

I am puzzled and disappointed Boston could not have picked up Jokinen..does not seem like Phoenix paid a king's ransom for him by any stretch of the imagination..

And I agree too that they should have grabbed one of the so called stud defensemen..

asleep at the wheel or what?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from quirkstre. Show quirkstre's posts

this encouraging article on him on hockeyfutures.com check it out http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/joe_colborne
    his growth spurt was recent so he is still adjusting to his size.  and though some scouts find that his wealthy backround is bad that some scouts feel that that is a myth. plays wing but took most of the faceoffs in camrose but after the faceoff went right back to the wing position when play resumed. very encouraging stuff i might say. hey i was one of the firsts to be bummed out about the pick but once you do your research and let it settle in it might be a great pick up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cup2009. Show cup2009's posts

i would agree that I was no impressed by this pick and why didnt the Bruins go after Joiken phoniex got him for a bag of pucks

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucic007. Show lucic007's posts

He's at least 2 seaons away from trying out with the big club. University and then Providence. Then NHL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

All i got to say is...I smell a big trade. I hope that Joe was just a piece of a puzzle for another transanction down the road or even as soon as this week. I really don't have a statement on the pick, i dont want to be unfair to the kid eighter. We have to chill back and observe what happens here to the URFA period start July 1. So take it easy guys, give Chia some time because im sure they gt something in the works. Trust me they are going to come out of nowhere and make  a  splash similar on how Pittsburgh did during the trading deadline for Hossa. Have faith, theres still time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joebondo. Show joebondo's posts

Would you all have said last year Lucic was a bad pick?!?  Everyone in the drafts second half was a project. Its not like they were in the top five.  If you look at what the B's have done lately with young players, how can you doubt this wont turn out to be pretty decent pick in hindsight?  Lets face it, theres FAR worse players to be compared to then Thornton.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from quirkstre. Show quirkstre's posts

i don't think we're saying that thornton is a bad player to be referred to but i think thornton is a bad player to be referred to if you are on the bruins because thornton wasn't one who thrived on physicality. but i do feel that this kid can grow into a big physical player hey when julien scratched kessel in the playoffs and gave kessel a shot kessel came back like he had somehting to prove and at this moment i'm not to worried.  watching Chiarelli on video and in interviews i feel a vibe that tells me he is itching to make an acquisition of some type whether it be Hossa (GOD willing) or picking a couple of players.  hey we have a little over aweek until July 1st, Chia got something cooking on the stove.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss47. Show Brady2Moss47's posts

Guys, stop worrying about what the so-called  "experts" think.  How many of the experts picked the Celtics to win?  This kid is raw, he's going to go out west and play hockey at a very good college where he can bulk up and improve his game.  I'd rather do this than put all of our eggs in one basket by getting a guy like Jokinen (who won't make this team a contender) for a very high price.  Be patient, look at what Pittsburgh has built.  Wait until free agency to make a splash, not trades.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from quirkstre. Show quirkstre's posts

i wouldn't say that phoenix got jokinen for a high price,ballard, boynton, and a 2nd rd pick. PC might as well given Florida a tissue that Cam Neely blew his nose with and used that as a piece for Olli Jokinen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanJohnthan. Show StanJohnthan's posts

First of all  most of you guys are all wishy washy. You guys complain that we draft a centerman which is not right he a left wing then cry because we didn't trade for a centerman. I think we should question why we didn't get Camerilla from LA for our 16 pick and why we didn't trade down to pick Colborne.I think the guy the bruins really wanted was Tuebert and when he was gone they went for size in joe.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

A bit surprising the Bruins opted for another supposed centerman when everyone was thinking defenseman. Could be right when Teubert was taken they went for size up front. It will be 3-4 years before Colbourne is NHL ready anyhow and lots can happen over 3 seasons as to what the Bruins needs are then. .  But after the top echelon of " can't miss " players are picked its a big roulette wheel of take your chances and hope you make a good pick. Its supposed to be a deep draft of talent and one would think Bostons next few grabs will be defensemen. The highly touted Russian RW Petrov is still available . Being he is signed with the red army for the next couple of seasons but could be well worth the wait. Sure feels like a trade in the wind with all this surplus at center and need of that offensive D man. Looks like Widemans going for arbitration...hope it backfires in his overated face! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mglsmrso. Show mglsmrso's posts

Ya, I was a little bummed when I saw the B's draft Colborne.  But you have to do some research on him.  Yes, he's listed as a center, but he'll come into the organization as a left winger.  Chiarelli said he tried to make some moves on draft day.  He made the decision at the trade deadline to stand fast with what he had; the Bruins still have a ton of good prospects in the system.  Last thing he needs to do is make a bad move (Thornton to San Jose ring a bell?), panic like previous GMs, and basically give away good talent.  Want Jokinen?  The salary hit is 5.25 million this year, 5.5 million next.  Tanguay?  5.5 million.  Camalleri?  3.6 million.  Hold onto the cash, try to get Hossa or, if it's at all possible, try to trade for Malkin.  Try to get Liles here from Colorado.  All year long, everyone's been bashing the B's about not having any offense.  They go out and bring in Marquardt, Wheeler, and draft Colborne, all big guys who'll take some time to develop.  Remember, it was about 5 or 6 years before Joe Thornton really became a top flight player. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Good opinions...maybe I was quite harsh. I can never count Chiarelli out as I find him to be a highly intelligent GM. I just feel there were stronger and safer picks that went after Colborne.

As Mcguire stated at the draft...he's either a complete miss or a homerun. Seeing as how we have strong youth coming up maybe it was ok for Boston to swing for the fences.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Good call on Cammalleri...what a bargain Calgary got on this guy. He is turning into a premier scorer in the NHL...he's young, still fairly cheap and has great work ethic. I was very surprised at how cheap he and Jokinen went for at the draft.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulmend. Show paulmend's posts

Frist off I wished they had gotton Joikenen too, so do about 20 other NHL teams would love to have him. How do we know if FLA would only send him West and not keep him in the East?

As for thier pick...this kid is like 2-3 years away, maybe more, Let him play some College and then we'll see. Bruins usually waste thier 1st rd pick anyways. With the exception of Thorton and Kessel I can't remember another 1st rounder in recent years that made an impact.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptBubba. Show CaptBubba's posts

Let's not knee-jerk to condemn Chiarelli for this.  Whomever said he smells a trade brewing I think is right on.  They're loading up with young prospects and are starting to look over-stocked with young centers.  They have a lot of chips to make some moves, Chia-Pete just needs the right dance partner or two.  The fact that he felt the asking price was too high to move up means that he's got his eye on the ball.

Lucic was a rare teenage impact player.  Hopefully Kessel turned the corner with Claude's machinations (he also had a good World Championship tourney, please note).  I'd like to remind you that Wheeler (#5 in his draft class) was highly sought after and he CHOSE to come to Boston.  I almost dropped my coffee when I read that.  Be patient.  He really hasn't blown a draft yet (hello, Evegeny Ryabchikov*!)

Look at what Ainge just did.  Drafted and acquired enough young prospects to make the moves to build a contender for a few years to come.  If you don't think Chia-Pete has the ability to do that with the B's then maybe you need to re-evaluate.

Is it Training Camp yet?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hutch04901. Show hutch04901's posts

I use to think I was a draft expert too by reading a few publications.  How many of you have seen this kid play, (not lincluding the 5 second video everyone gets to see) or interviewed him or his coaches teammates etc etc?  It took me a long time to realize these scouts know a lot more than I do.  They might miss a few, but overall they do a great job.  I think we all have to remember they are drafting 18 year old kids.   The B's didn't draft this kid to help the team out next year.  The best teams always draft the best player available.  (see the Pats)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthony3063. Show anthony3063's posts

Its puzzling to me that when the Bruins org said they were looking for Bruins 'type' players, they wind up getting some rich kid who does not like to hit, does not like to go to the net(this according to P Maguire)..

Is this what happens when you put two Harvard grads(PC and Sweeney ) in the organization?
    Where was Cam in this selection?

Don't they remember that Bruins type players are fighters, tough, scrappers, lunchpail type?

Bruins need help NOW, why draft a 'project' ??

POOR draft for Boston, they really should have grabbed a young mobile offensive minded defenseman, or a more sure thing period!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss47. Show Brady2Moss47's posts

[Quote]Bruins usually waste thier 1st rd pick anyways. With the exception of Thorton and Kessel I can't remember another 1st rounder in recent years that made an impact.[/Quote]

Sergei Samsonov was pretty good for us for a few years.  He was a 1st rounder the same year Thornton was picked.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[Quote]Its puzzling to me that when the Bruins org said they were looking for Bruins 'type' players, they wind up getting some rich kid who does not like to hit, does not like to go to the net(this according to P Maguire)..

Is this what happens when you put two Harvard grads(PC and Sweeney ) in the organization?
    Where was Cam in this selection?

Don't they remember that Bruins type players are fighters, tough, scrappers, lunchpail type?

Bruins need help NOW, why draft a 'project' ??

POOR draft for Boston, they really should have grabbed a young mobile offensive minded defenseman, or a more sure thing period![/Quote]

Why on earth do people think we should have drafted another number 3 or 4 defencemen when we have 3 in Providence and drafted 4 defencemen last year.  Chia tried to trade up and get a number 1 or 2 type defencemen but there were none available at 16.

Sections
Shortcuts