Bruins management

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Bruins management

As some of you may have noticed, I have been highly critical of Bruins' management. My only real question regarding the product on the ice is whether or not they have the heart to win. I have watched more Bruins hockey over the past week than I have in four or five years, and must say before Game 7, that they are showing a tremendous amount of heart and deserve to win this series.

If the Bruins can show they want to win the game more than Montreal, they will win. They may need a good bounce or two, but they should win. They have been a lot of fun to watch this past week or so.

I still don't think management will do what's needed to get them truly over the top, but that's just my opinion.

GOOD LUCK BRUINS!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Bruins management

Ok, if you questioned management and the on ice product, how much heart they had, etc., and then state youve watched more Bruins hockey this past week than in 4 or 5 years, how exactly were you qualified to come to the conclusion that management hadnt done a good job with putting together a good team?� Just wondering?You sound like a bunch of people I know down in Mass who have had 2 teams BUY championships over the past few years, but havent had anything to do with hockey but youll trash the team and management at the drop of a dime.� If Im wrong, sorry, but I know a lot of people like that down there who sound just like you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hanlon948. Show hanlon948's posts

Bruins management

Chiarelli's done a good job so far, why on earth would you believe he won't continue to do what's needed to keep improving B's moving forward?� This is�NEW B's management at work.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Bruins management

I keep tabs on them. it's not difficult in this area where sports are widely spoken about.If you want to get into semantics to discredit me you can, but most�people who have been fans for 30 or more years know what I'm talking about because the organization has done this over and over.Someone noted their payroll is actually pretty high. I guess it is, but you'd never know it looking at the players they've paid.Watch, they'll dangle a few top-notch free agent names in front of you this off-season in an attempt to generate interest in the team and increase season ticket sales, but in the end they won't pay up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trv. Show trv's posts

Bruins management

I agree, he dosen't follow the B's but he's an expert. We should thank him for all of his previous sound offs and take any future ones for what they are worth. NOTHING!!! Better yet maybe he should just stop writing in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hanlon948. Show hanlon948's posts

Bruins management

You ask how I can say "Chiarelli's done a good job so far"?Simply because he has done a good job, SO FAR.� "So far" being the key words here.� During the first two years of Chiarelli's rebuilding program, the B's have gone from dead last in the NHL to making the playoffs.� At this point, I don't think anyone could ask for, or expect more than that.Rebuilding last-place NHL clubs takes several years, especially during the new salary cap era.� You�accomplish most of it via the draft, which naturally takes time.In the meantime, what's most important for us to see?� We need indications that the B's are moving in the right direction.� SO FAR, I'd say Chiarelli has provided us with enough to believe that the B's have at least turned the corner and that the future looks much better than it did two short years ago.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hanlon948. Show hanlon948's posts

Bruins management

Considering how long it takes to rebuild, I don't think it's realistic to think or expect that the�B's could go "deep into the playoffs next year".� WAY too soon for that.� Look at other NHL clubs that have been rebuilding, and see how long it took them to go deep.� Most of 'em took 5 years minimum before they went deep (see Buffalo, Ottawa, Carolina, Tampa Bay, probably Pittsburgh this year.)Let's keep it real before we jump the damn gun, as we historically love to do in Boston.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

Bruins management

It will take time to build a contender, especially after having to un-build the mess that Sinden, OC and Jacobs served up for the last decade. Chiarelli hasn't even had 2 full drafts yet (he was still in Ottawa for the first one, remember?) so the book is still out on him.

As to how much the Bs are spending now they almost have to after all the noise Jacobs made about needing a cap and how instrumental he was in structuring the current CBA. He'd be seen as a hypocrite by all his fellow owners, because you know he's profitable enough to spend the money and still turn a profit. I'm sure it pains him every time he does, but he's too embarassed not to. He'd never be taken seriously by the other owners if he were to lowball his own self-designed salary cap.

By the way, Pittsburgh REALLY SUCKED for a long time to get to the point where they are now. They had 2 first overall picks within a couple years of each other (Fleury and Crosby) so it will either take a lot of time and ingenuity or it will take being in last place for 3 out of 4 years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Bruins management

Yeah, Johnnymap, funny. Write it off to fair weather fans. Good one. Very original. God forbid someone not get in line with the sheep chanting, "I love Bruins. I love Bruins." Condemn to Haiti�the person who offers an opposing view based on more than 30 years of not jumping off the bandwagon. Sorry if my frustration has gotten to me, but the Bruins DO NOT DO WHAT IS NEEDED TO WIN.All they have to do is try. If they go out and get teh right guys to put us over the top, and those guys don't perform or get hurt, at least they tried. Fans can see this.They traded Ray Bourque instead of trying. It's not me being negative, it's fact.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Bruins management

Would you like to get rid of all Jews and blacks, too? What's wrong with you? I have followed hockey since 1975. I've given up on them more or less since the strike. That means I know nothing? I have no common sense?

Sheep. Sheep, sheep and more sheep.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hanlon948. Show hanlon948's posts

Bruins management

"Chiarelli hasn't even had 2 full drafts yet (he was still in Ottawa for the first one, remember?) so the book is still out on him."� Another popular�B's premise�that simply isn't true.Chiarelli orchestrated BOTH the 2006 draft, as well as the Chara and Savard signings.� Asst. GM (at the time) Jeff Gorton carried out what was in fact, Chiarelli's blueprint, plans and ideas.��That's why Chiarelli was hired by the Bruins.� Those were not Gorton's draft picks, nor did Gorton orchestrate the signings of free agents Chara and Savard.BY the way, I loathe Jacobs as much as anyone.� I also like to speak from FACTS as opposed to opinion, or whatever happens to be the popular, feel-good thing to say.�Regarding B's payroll spending, my original comment wasn't in reference to how much they've spent annually since the cap went into effect 3 seasons ago.� It was in reference to B's PRE-CAP�spending,� For several years leading up to the lost 2004-5 season,�the Bruins consistently ranked in the Top 10 of NHL clubs in payroll.� Don't believe me?� Look it up.Regardless, to succeed in today's NHL, it's all about building through the draft.� Teams that consistently draft well can plug holes annually via�their home-grown prospects AND astute free agent signings.Again, re: Chiarelli to date, for the most part, so far, so good.�� Sure, he's made a couple of mistakes, but show me an NHL GM who hasn't?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from michwolverine. Show michwolverine's posts

Bruins management

Brian Burke?

oh by the way was passed up on by mr burns

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Bruins management

Mats

They ALWAYS seem to be a few pieces short. That is exactly what I have been talking about, but everyone wants to get hung up on their hopes and dreams of a Stanley Cup.

The day they spend the needed money on the RIGHT player(s), is the day I'll shut up and support the organization again. They have burned me year after year, and I won't pay up anymore. I had season tickets and I will never do that again.

Many of you haven't gotten to that point yet, but this is a pattern. THey have been operating a successful business doing just enough to stay competitive, but never enough to win it. Jacobs makes a killing. Fans get their hearts broken year after year.

Don't blame me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Bruins management

"Rebuilding program"? Song of the suckers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Bruins management

PC overpaid for Chara and most of the players in the organization. Alex Auld is his best, most efficient pick-up. Without Auld they don't make the playoffs. Other than that, he's got a rediculous amount of money locked up in unproven talent in Providence.

Manny Fernandez would not have done any better than Thomas/Auld, and Patrice Bergeron may be good, but what has he really done? He has POTENTIAL. Is anyone really going to tell me this is a Stanley Cup contender based on a few relatively average seasons? Look at how much he is paid based on potential. We could have signed someone proven for that amount of money.

Yeah, Chiarelli's a genius. Move over Bill. There's a new braintrust in town.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Bruins management

Is everyone here completely insane?Regarding B's payroll spending, my original comment wasn't in reference to how much they've spent annually since the cap went into effect 3 seasons ago.� It was in reference to B's PRE-CAP�spending,� For several years leading up to the lost 2004-5 season,�the Bruins consistently ranked in the Top 10 of NHL clubs in payroll.� Don't believe me?� Look it up.Big deal. Top 10. Wow. Great stat. A.) Who the heck were they wasting money on and B.) My point all along is that they would never do two things: 1.) Spend more $$$ in the offseson on legit free agents and 2.) make a trading�deadline deal to push them over the top.What they have done regularly, is let quality, fan-favorite types go over money.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shortpops. Show shortpops's posts

Bruins management

�the bruins have super coaching and went further than anyone thought possible last september.� they need to take a long look at having another goal tender to supplement thomas and take a long look at glen murray who seems to have reached the tail end of his career.�� a possible buyout of murray seems to be a consideration as his playoff contribution was almost nil. then they would have the money to go after a� proven goal scorer with some years left� in his playing tank.� alex auld should be given more starts next year so he can develop as a proven backup that can do the job whenever called upon. the chemistry is there and now a couple of tweaks here and there will give them the juice to go deeper into the playoffs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hanlon948. Show hanlon948's posts

Bruins management

Bruins need more than a few tweaks to advance in the�playoffs next season.� They still have a loooong way to go before we can reasonably expect to see that occur.Auld won't be resigned, though he did the job here better than abyone expected.� Auld is a journeyman goalie.Barring injury or unless management has fallen in love with Tukka Rask's first full season with Providence, next year's goalies starting the season will be Thomas and Fernandez (now 100% healthy after Jan. knee surgery).� With Julien's system and good D, both shouold be outstanding.� If either falters or is hurt, Rask will get the call from Providence and will play about 35% of the time.� Bruins' primary�need is speedy, skilled�forwards who can score.� Murray should be bought out.They could also use another D or two.� This was Chara's best year, maybe ever.� Wideman took huge strides, with more consistency required to finish him off.� But Ward is 35-36.� Stuart has a ways to go before he can be labeled a 95%�reliable defensive defenseman, but he came a long way this year also, under Ramsay and Julien.� Ference is fine when healthy.� Alberts neck/head and foot speed are a question.� Lashoff may prove to be a bit of a bust; he's okay�offensively, but lacks in grit, and is alright defensively, and still needs more work.� Next season will be Lashoff's and Stuart's�4th with the organization, may prove to be a pivotal time for them both.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bouncer617. Show bouncer617's posts

Bruins management

"You sound like a bunch of people I know down in Mass who have had 2teams BUY championships over the past few years, but havent hadanything to do with hockey but youll trash the team and management atthe drop of a dime.� If Im wrong, sorry, but I know a lot of peoplelike that down there who sound just like you."

You sound like the typical jerk off who doesn't know the first thing about the Bruins or their owner but will take any opportunity to take a shot at anything from Boston.�� Just exactly how does one "buy" a team under a salary cap?�� "Just wondering?"��� We get it: You're whiny because the Sox have won two titles, Pats have won three and & already the favorites to win it again next year, and the Celtics have a serious chance of winning the title as we speak.� Spare me your passive agressive approach and just be honest about your jealousy/envy/annoyance.

It's apparent you don't know the first thing about the Bruins, and it's VERY apparent you don't know the history of the owner and management.� I'm guessing you're too young to have any clue about anything Bruins related before 2004, never mind the last twenty years.� Jacobs has been making a fortune off of this team for decades without spending a reasonable amount of the profit on making them a top-shelf competitor.� His actions have proven time and time again that he doesn't give a damn about the fanbase, and that bring Stanley Cup to Boston is far less important than siphoning every cent he can into his bank account.�� Ignorant and judgemental is no way to go through life, kid.� Educate yourself before you open your mouth and you'll look at least somewhat less stupid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Bruins management

Oh, my OPINION must have struck a nerve, huh.� That statement hit too close to home for you?� You dont know me, you can pretend to all you want, but you dont.� Again, I have probably 80 relatives spread around the�Boston area.� I know how they are, I know how their friends are.� Just stating the OBVIOUS!And youre right, Im FAR too young to remember anything.� Ive only been following hockey since 1980.� I dont remember the Orr days, but I remember everything after them.Again, just answer this one question and Ill be satisfied:� How come EVERYONE I know in Boston SCREAMED for YEARS that the Yankees bought their championships????� Am I correct?� Were the fans just jealous?� If so, you make my point that those people are hypocrites.� Sorry you dont like the truth.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bouncer617. Show bouncer617's posts

Bruins management

You're right, you did hit a nerve.� I always get annoyed with people who think it's acceptable behavior to judge things they know little or nothing about, especially if said subject is something important to me.
    Let's break things down a little...

"Ok, if you questioned management and the on ice product, how much heart they had, etc., and then state youve watched more Bruins hockey this past week than in 4 or 5 years, how exactly were you qualified to come to the conclusion that management hadnt done a good job with putting together a good team?"

Sounds like an question, not an opinion.� I can't speak for the person you were talking about, but I can say that anyone who has been a Bruins fan longer than a few seasons is familiar with the screw job Jacobs has been performing on the fans for over thirty years.� Ever hear the phrase, "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it," or "A tiger can't change his stripes?"�� The Jacobs Theorum is simple math: Never reinvest more than 10% of your profit into the product.�� The salary cap was the best thing to happen to that cheapskate, since people will eventually forget that when Jacobs had the ability and capital to create a serious contender, he instead banked the money and fielded a team just good enough to make noise but never good enough to run with the best.� That's why the last two times they went to finals they never had more than one serious scoring line. Opinions are fine.� Uneducated opinions are ignorant.

"You sound like a bunch of people I know down in Mass who have had 2 teams BUY championships over the past few years, but havent had anything to do with hockey but youll trash the team and management at the drop of a dime."

This is where you decided to pass judgement without learning some background history first.� It's the perfect example of the uneducated opinion I just mentioned. The fact that you felt the need to talk about anyone buying a championship - which has zilch to do with hockey - implies a bias that has nothing to do with the Bruins.� An example of an opinion (mine): Slamming management or ownership is fine.� Slamming players you don't like is fine.� Slamming a whole team rather than the individual problems that need to be fixed is moronic.

"Again, I have probably 80 relatives spread around the Boston area.� I know how they are, I know how their friends are.� Just stating the OBVIOUS!"

What *I* know I learned from reading what you wrote... and it's the words of someone that� seems to have a bias against Boston sports.� That is what's obvious.� If you cared about the outcome rather than the complaining we wouldn't be having this discussion because you'd KNOW enough of the backstory not to make such silly comments.� What your family and their friends are like has nothing to do with the subject at hand.� You're stereotyping the entire Boston fanbase (and by dragging the Bruins into it, angering REAL fans) with little fact and plenty of huffing and puffing.

"And youre right, Im FAR too young to remember anything.� Ive only been following hockey since 1980.� I dont remember the Orr days, but I remember everything after them."

Following hockey does not constitute following a specific team nor knowing the details of their history.� Your reference is similar to saying, "I've been reading for twenty five years and even though I've never read any Stephen King I can make comments about his work because I have friends and family who live near him."�� Apparently your knowledge doesn't extend to the Jacobs ownership or Sinden's days as the protector of the pursestrings or this conversation would never have happened.

"Again, just answer this one question and Ill be satisfied:� How come EVERYONE I know in Boston SCREAMED for YEARS that the Yankees bought their championships??"

Oh, I don't know... maybe because they have?�� There's a BIG difference between baseball, where the financial gap between someone like the Rays and the Yankees is so disproportionate it ruins any chance at true parity, and Hockey... where when there was no cap there wasn't so much money being brought in by so few teams it affected the competitive level of the entire league.� I won't argue that the Sox have been fortunate along those lines, but the gap between what they spend and what the yankees spend isn't even close to comparable.� There are presently thirteen teams whose entire payroll is less than the difference between the yankees and the red sox payrolls.� Fact.� Also, this is a BRUINS thread not a dissection of baseball finance, so what does that have to do with hockey?!

"Am I correct? "

Nope. Sorry.

"Were the fans just jealous?"

Maybe a little, but I can't speak for those fans.� It still doesn't change the fact that the yankees raided other teams by throwing money around and therefore created a system of haves and have nots.� The yankees started it, the Sox and Mets just signed up after the fact because they had the means to at least be competitive in spending.� Ask a Royals, Pirates, or Expos (whoops!) fan just how much it has affected the entire game.

"If so, you make my point that those people are hypocrites.� Sorry you dont like the truth."

Bruins fans are not necessarily sox fans and vice versa.� Sticking all Boston sports fans under one flag is not just ridiculous, but again, is also ignorant.� Just because YOU see a hypocrisy doesn't mean it exists simply because not everyone who is a Bruin's fanatic is also a Red Sox fanatic.� Baseball is fun, but it's not a passion of mine by any means.� I know a decent amount about it because of my job, but it's still a distant third behind hockey and football to me.� The fact that you're using a baseball issue to take cheap shots at Bruins fans highlights my point about you having a Boston sports bias, and your approach shows you know little about the subject.� THAT is the truth.� If you want to yap baseball, go to that board.� If you want to discuss Bruin's history and/or learn something about why there's some animosity between fans and ownership as well as the distrust of management under Jacobs, then do some reading and asking instead of snapping off judgements that real Bruin's fans find offensive.��

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Bruins management

Guy, you can try and twist my words any way you want.� I never trashed the Bruins and I simply equated what people were saying to other Boston sports, plain and simple.� If you dont get that, there is no way I can explain it to you.� Im as big of a Bruins fan as anyone.� Ive been a hardcore fan since 1980.� I used to go to 10 games a year�ANYWAY through the 80's and mid 90's when it was affordable.� Ive missed, at the most, 2-3 games a season since 1995.� I know the team, the players, their stats, etc., etc., etc., along with other teams, players, etc.� I follow one spot now, hockey.� Im a huge Bruins fan but Im also a huge hockey fan.� And its because of the way baseball, football and basketball have gone.� Again, twist my words all you want, I couldnt care less about whay someone on some board THINKS they know about me.� Ive been on this site for years advocating the Bruins, NOT JJ, MOC, Harry, etc.

Sections
Shortcuts