Bruins may pick as high as #7...End of Seguin or Hall saga? No.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

Bruins may pick as high as #7...End of Seguin or Hall saga? No.

The pesky Toronto Maple Leafs decided to delete the word "quit" off their dictionary at the wrong possible time.

After tonight's SO loss to the Pens they sit just 3 points of 11th overall in the Eastern Conference. If teams such as Columbus, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Florida and New York-IS continue to crumble you may see a situation where the Leafs can rise from 2nd overall to 7th overall in the NHL. A team that finishes beyond 5th cannot take part of the lottery.

Now, here's my theory. Whether or not Toronto ends up in 2nd (preferred) I believe the Bruins have their backs against the wall and will feel the pressure to make a big move to move into that top 3 spot in the draft. They have 8 picks remaining in the next to drafts including this year. I also feel players such as Hamill, Sobotka, Hunwick and possibly Wheeler may be in the mix in a trade to aquire such pick if they were to lose out.

That being said, i feel my thinking it's a bit to optimistic. PC has shown that he is far to conservative which leads me to believe that he will keep his hands folded and not do anything to climb in the draft board. 

After trading all their offensive guys i really thought Toronto was ready to go down into the abyss of a dark hole. Surprisingly enough they have been hot over the last two weeks, separating themselves from Edmonton. They were as close as 4 points to the Oilers in the beginning of the month.

Toronto has 6 games remaining. they MUST lose 4, which will almost guarantee the the #2 pick. Best case scenario is for them to go 1-5 for the rest of the season. However, the way they are playing thats highly unlikely.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulyboy. Show paulyboy's posts

Re: Bruins may pick as high as #7...End of Seguin or Hall saga? No.

xenimus  you are right on.. I have been saying this all along.. It is easy to sit back and hope for Toronto to lose, but if you are not watching them play you have no clue.. They are winning almost every battle to the puck and I have stated over and over again they are determined to stick it to us.. Particlulary Kessel.  Very unique to have teams that want to win to save pride and teams that are calling up young guns to ride out the end of the year. We have to stick it to them in Toronto coming up.  All in all not shocked by where things are going..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Toronto and Atlanta both playing good hockey at the worst possible time for us. Not only is our upcoming game at Toronto critical, but we have to find a way to beat those better teams since we play Buffalo twice, Washington twice and NJ (or else no playoffs this year!)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins may pick as high as #7...End of Seguin or Hall saga? No.:
    Toronto and Atlanta both playing good hockey at the worst possible time for us. Not only is our upcoming game at Toronto critical, but we have to find a way to beat those better teams since we play Buffalo twice, Washington twice and NJ (or else no playoffs this year!)
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey

Right on, good point on the up coming games for the Bruins. Not an easy task coming up for them down the stretch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

I hope you are wrong about Toronto staying hot.

One thing is for sure- there is little/no interest for Sobotka or Hamill on the trade market. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins may pick as high as #7...End of Seguin or Hall saga? No.:
    Would you relax Moron as of tonight they are still second to last 3 points back .... Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2010
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

Wow, who stole your lunch money today? Calm down! lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Toronto also has played more games than the teams they are trying to catch.

They play Atlanta next, who hope to tie Bruins in points (but still be in 9th due to games played). Then after a game vs the Sabres, their last 4 games are vs the Bruins, Flyers, Rangers, and Habs, all of whom will have motives to play hard against them

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinBuff. Show BruinBuff's posts

Deal the pick close to draft day... Try and get the Oilers to bite! (Someone posted a rumor earlier this week about it.)

The best deal to offer is: The pick with Ryder and Wideman in exchange for: Hemsky, Souray, and Penner.

It maybe a stretch, but the rumor is the oilers want to load up on picks and rebuild. I know how many of you feel about Hemsky but I think he would play better if he had a legit centerman.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

Toronto also has played more games than the teams they are trying to catch. They play Atlanta next, who hope to tie Bruins in points (but still be in 9th due to games played). Then after a game vs the Sabres, their last 4 games are vs the Bruins, Flyers, Rangers, and Habs, all of whom will have motives to play hard against them
    Posted by davecarr

I just hope the Flyers don't think of just giving up on the season. They are not a very confident team as of right now and could end out of the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

tom atl vs tor we have to root for tor

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Just to clarify, teams that finish higher then 5th to last are still indeed eligable for the drafty lottery, they would not be able to draft number 1, but all non play off teams are in the lottery..
    it is heavily weighted in favor of the bottom teams, but 7th seeded teams have won before and recieved the 3rd pick of the draft.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

tom atl vs tor we have to root for tor
    Posted by bruins8

Sometimes I really miss ties.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scotland19. Show scotland19's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins may pick as high as #7...End of Seguin or Hall saga? No. : Sometimes I really miss ties.
    Posted by DrCC

No Kidding!! These 3 point games really skew the standings.
    Leafs are 2 points back of Florida and Carolina but both have games in hand.
    They are 3 points back of TBay and the Islanders but again both have games in hand.
    Unless the Leafs run the table, its the #2 pick

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

The Leafs still have to catch a lot of teams let's not get overrexcited!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from whitbomb. Show whitbomb's posts

The Leafs are playing good hockey and I'm concerned about losing out on Sequin or Hall lets hope the teams in front of Toronto with games in hand can get some points.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobby774. Show bobby774's posts

Remaining games for Leafs

March 30th home vs Atlanta

April  1st    home vs Buff     
    April 3rd     home vs Bruins      
    April 6th     home vsPhilly      
    April 7th     @ Rangers      
    April 10th   @ Habs      

How many you think they could win Maybe two?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

Remaining games for Leafs March 30th home vs Atlanta           April  1st    home vs Buff           April 3rd     home vs Bruins             April 6th     home vsPhilly             April 7th     @ Rangers             April 10th   @ Habs             How many you think they could win Maybe two?          
    Posted by bobby774

nice i was wonderin who they would play..atlanta has something to play for. philly and the rangers have looked like crap...they just beat the habs...and are 7-2-1 in last 10... well c...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulyboy. Show paulyboy's posts

the better question will be how many points will they get out of the remaining games?  They are in every game they play and they are finding ways to get points.  With a possible 12 points they will get 5 to 6 points.   Lets pray the teams above show some heart.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mebackagin. Show mebackagin's posts

Toronto will finish no higher than third from last. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

ATL is close but the last 5 games are 2 vs washing, 2 ves the pens, and the devils, the bruins can stay ahead of them till that point and they are fine.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

A factor not mentioned:
    Florida and TB play each other twice.
    Carolina and TB play once.
    So of the four teams that Toronto could realistically catch, three are involved in games with the others.  Those are guaranteed points within the group, which makes it less likely that Toronto will manage to pass all four. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

People seem to forget the fact that Atlanta has played one more game than us and is still 2 points back. Toronto has also played one more game than Carolina and two more than Florida, the teams immediately ahead of them in the standings. Toronto does have more home games than away games, and their record at home is decent. They also happen to play 4 playoff caliber teams in Atlanta, us, Buffalo and Philadelphia. Carolina plays Atlanta, Montreal (twice), New Jersey, Tampa Bay, Ottawa and us. Florida plays Nashville, Buffalo, Ottawa, NY Rangers, New Jersey, Tampa Bay twice and us. 
    Carolina and Florida have slightly weaker schedules and more games up on Toronto, I like the odds on Toronto holding the 29th spot. 

As far as rooting for which team to win I think as long as we keep winning and Toronto loses then it doesn't matter. We have a 50-50 week ahead of us, we face Buffalo and New Jersey tonight and tomorrow but we play Florida on Thursday and Toronto on Saturday. 

Keep hope on the 29th spot, and keep hope on us making the playoffs, preferably in the 6th or 7th spot (we have strong goaltending but I can't see us beating Washington). I think we could take Pittsburgh if the right Bruins team shows up to the series. Personally I'd love to see a Washington vs Philadelphia quarterfinal, I think the real competition is who could give more dirty hits in the series without getting suspended (Ovechkin, Richards, Hartnell or Carcillo). My money is on Ovechkin, Bettman would be awfully mad if Washington doesn't at least make the conference finals this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yukamatta409. Show yukamatta409's posts

One more thing we have going for us is any tie tor. has in pts they will be the lower seed because they have less wins. They are actually 3 pts from 28th spot right now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

The best they will finish is 28th, with 29th being likely since Edmonton is brutal

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I think Bruins control their own destiny as far as that pick goes.  If they can beat Toronto in regulation in the upcoming match-up, I really don't think Toronto will be able to pass anyone considering they have played 1-2 more games than everyone they are chasing and Toronto will likely lose any tie-breaker, as they have 3 less wins than everyone else right now. 

Sections
Shortcuts