Bruins Offseason game plan (part 1)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DarrenRyan9. Show DarrenRyan9's posts

Bruins Offseason game plan (part 1)

Chiarelli - Stays, has made some really good moves, would like to see him in alittle more control when it comes to Cap Management, Ference should of never been resigned to that contract

Julien - Stays, Hate the fact that he sticks with players too long, he needs to hold players more accountable, but when all is said and done he did a good job when it came to all the injuries he had to deal with this yr

UFA and RFa signings

Boychuk   3 yr 6.75 million (2.25 cap hit)
    Stuart     3  yr 7 million     (2.33 cap hit)
    Recchi     1 yr 1 million
    Thornton  2 yr 1.5 million   (.750 cap hit)
    Siendenberg 3 yr 9 million   (3 mil cap hit)

Free agent signings

Ray Whitney     2 yr 6 million
    Jamaal Mayers  1 yr .900

Trades

Blake Wheeler, 15th overall, 32 overall to the Islanders for 5th overall 65th overall

Tim Thomas to St louis for 2nd rounder and Ty Conklin

Matt Hunwick to Dallas for a 4th rounder

Draft

2nd overall = Tyler Sequin (F)
    5th overall =  Brandon Gormley (D)

Roster

Lucic   Savard   Whitney
    Ryder  Krejci   Sequin
    Sturm  Bergeron  Recchi
    Marchand  Mayers  Thornton

Soderberg  Hamill  Caron
    Suave Colborne Lehtonen

Chara  Wideman
    Stuart  Siendenberg
    Ference  Boychuk

Gormley

Rask
    Conklin

I tried to be as realistic as i could possibly be, in a perfect world we unload more then just Thomas and get some fresh faces in here, but we are too close to the cap as is, the yr after next big money falls of the table and will be a very exciting offseason

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jake1977. Show Jake1977's posts

Re: Bruins Offseason game plan (part 1)

only 1mil for Recchi?  He deserves more than that!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Recchi would get a little more than that, but other than that that's a great and well thought out plan. I've been hoping that Chiarelli makes a Burke-esque move and acquires another top 5 pick. Garth Snow is the kind of GM who would make a move like that if he likes his pickings later on. I'm not sure if it would take the 32nd overall pick, but I'm hoping it doesn't. I feel that a real gem will squeak out of the first round and we'll be in a prime position to pick whoever it is up. If we do move up like that I hope that we get Erik Gudbranson, or Gormley if Gudbranson is picked up. Fowler is a dynamic talent but I don't know if he's much else than a Jay Boumeester or Mike Green. immensely talented but comes up soft in big game situations. Gudbranson brings the great defensive talent and command of the game that's reminiscent of the best version of Phaneuf. Gormley is a great all around defenseman, and I think the safest pick possible out of the 3. 

I also wouldn't mind keeping our 1st rounder or maybe moving slightly higher. I feel that Jon Merill and Derek Forbort will be the next set of great defenseman to come from the US development program in the last decade. Merill has impressed many scouts with his standout play in the U-18 World Championships, and has an overall package that could make him the best defenseman on our roster in a few years. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Darren,
    Good post man...well thought out and not Kovy this and Kovy that...and I couldnt agree more on Ference...would rather have a used that money on Seid.

Here are a few of my ideas...

G- TT- he has to be dealt and I can see a number of teams wanting in on him...however I can see it only being part of a bad contract for bad contract.  What about to Philly for Hartnell?  Philly has more than enough grit and young studs to fill in on their top lines.

A solid NHL backup can be found at discount prices.

D- I want Seidenburg back but with the money we are dishing out to duds like Ryder we might wanna go youth...sign someone from a list of pretty good list of UFA dmen.  I always liked Hnidy...cheap and just good bang for the buck.  McQuad gets a chance as well.

F- Whitney in my eyes gets more than 6 million over 2...more like 8 over 2.  But good choice. 

I think the only way we get better up front is via trade or RFA.  We have the same problem Pitt does...all centers and no wingers...

On the trade front there are some obvious ones out there...I really like Horton in Florida...if he played with Savard he would be a 30 goal man every year...add Lucic on that line and thats a nice 1st line. 

My RFA's would be Clarkson and Ryan...I think the Ducks match any offer but its worth trying...Clarkson would be a fan favorit here and would also mean that Thorton and Mayers on your list wouldnt be nec.  

Now I am not saying all of my ideas go down...but they are a few names I would look at.  I am pretty happy with the youth we have coming up...lots to be excited about in Bruins Country..the loss hurts but we are building a nice pkg for the future.

Cheers...and again...nice post

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Oh...and should Recchi not comeback...I would offer Modano a one year contract...he apparently has some money issues...and was close to coming here before...he would provide nice leadership to this group...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

The best idea I can think of is surrounding Krejci with as much goal scoring talent as possible. He was a marked man by philly being the only really skilled player on the Bruins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from habssuck09. Show habssuck09's posts

How much cap space do they have with all the urfa and rfa...I like to see them get someone younger and better than whintey

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

One of the off-season items will certainly be to create a perception that the bRUINS did not quit.  They will attempt to build up the fact that the team made the play-offs; almost won another.  I'm sure they will play up the injury thing, as well.  The "goal" will be to convince people that they almost won something.

Please don't forget: The team was the first seed last year; was horrible for most of this season.  The Savvy incident showed us what they are made of.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

pumpsiefan, did you read the THN article on Malkin as well? I liked that article, I think it's a great idea for Edmonton, but I don't know how much it would work for us. Unless we can get some wingers to play with him and Savard I don't know if it's possible. I'd also throw in Ryder or Ference into that deal, if only to clear salary. But that'd be one of the only players I'd consider trading the #2 for, besides Stamkos, Doughty, Erik Johnson or Matt Duchene (none of who I see being available for any price except Johnson). 

The big thing I see from this offseason is a massive rehaul. As much as this loss will eat at me for months, I think it's going to be needed if we want a chance at the Cup in the near future. Jacobs can't like being a member of one of the worst facts in the history of sports, and I think heads will roll. He won't go out and get the marquee kind of player that people want, but there will be enough major changes that we shouldn't see anything near the same mentality for our team again. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Alex Frolov? He's 27
    Bobby Ryan (23) is a RFA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Tough to even start thinking about this stuff now. I do think however, that the loss last night was the best thing for this team.
       It should dissuade management thinking they can afford to stand pat, and that 15th pick could be huge.
    I just don't have faith that Chiarelli knows how to manage the cap well enough.
       He seems to be to quick to reward young players with big money, and paying too much to keep the veterns he has.
      Who goes, who stays, who knows? None of us that post here (except stanleycuptothebruins 2011) are experts on building a hockey team. I do however, think that Sturm's injury probably ended his days in Boston, so that means freeing up 3.5 M in cap room. RFA's at forward include at LW, PAILLE & WHEELER. Is there room for both? Not if they end up with TAYLOR HALL (I think Edmonton cannot pass on Seguin).
    I think WHEELER has too much potential to pass on. A two year contract @ 1M + 1.5M should make both sides happy.
    PAILLE would have to be offered 1.5M to retain his rights, and that is too much for a 4th liner.
    Would love to have him to kill penalties, but MARCHAND & CARON should be given a shot for the 4th line LW spot.
       RW is a mess, and for the bruins to improve, changes have to happen.
    RYDER is untradeable, so he will be back. RECCHI will probably be re-signed for 1.5M. THORNTON will be re-signed for probably .8M.
    So that leave the bruins needing a bona-fide #1 right winger. The only way they can move salary to make room for that, IMO, would be to trade CHARA. If they did something like, trade CHARA & the #15 PICK TO Anaheim for the rights to BOBBY RYAN, and re-signed SEIDENBERG, that would have me pumped for next season. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Offseason game plan (part 1):
       Tough to even start thinking about this stuff now. I do think however, that the loss last night was the best thing for this team.    It should dissuade management thinking they can afford to stand pat, and that 15th pick could be huge. I just don't have faith that Chiarelli knows how to manage the cap well enough.    He seems to be to quick to reward young players with big money, and paying too much to keep the veterns he has.   Who goes, who stays, who knows? None of us that post here (except stanleycuptothebruins 2011) are experts on building a hockey team. I do however, think that Sturm's injury probably ended his days in Boston, so that means freeing up 3.5 M in cap room. RFA's at forward include at LW, PAILLE & WHEELER. Is there room for both? Not if they end up with TAYLOR HALL (I think Edmonton cannot pass on Seguin). I think WHEELER has too much potential to pass on. A two year contract @ 1M + 1.5M should make both sides happy. PAILLE would have to be offered 1.5M to retain his rights, and that is too much for a 4th liner. Would love to have him to kill penalties, but MARCHAND & CARON should be given a shot for the 4th line LW spot.    RW is a mess, and for the bruins to improve, changes have to happen. RYDER is untradeable, so he will be back. RECCHI will probably be re-signed for 1.5M. THORNTON will be re-signed for probably .8M. So that leave the bruins needing a bona-fide #1 right winger. The only way they can move salary to make room for that, IMO, would be to trade CHARA. If they did something like, trade CHARA & the #15 PICK TO Anaheim for the rights to BOBBY RYAN, and re-signed SEIDENBERG, that would have me pumped for next season.  9
    Posted by biggskye

Good points. Especially if they don't end up with Hall (still need a winger). Ryan had 35G 29A (64 points) and a +/- of +9...did I mention that he JUST turned 23? Put him and Seguin (and personally hopefully Hall on the same line in the future...that spells disaster for opponents...even if we get seguin).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-by-position/

Agree with Shup on the good post DRY9 and I don't think we'll get that much for Thomas but PC will have to take it. I do think that St. Louis with Detroit (Not that I don't think Howard is not good but not ready for the full season load just yet) , Wash. and Philly might be good spots for TT to land I'll throw in San Jose as well because Nabakov might betry San Jose again like our Bs did last night.  

Weeker might be a better fit in Minnesota which also makes a better trade partner in that the Bs might not have to give up 2 picks with Weeker but just one. Really would like PC to keep TOs #2 but if put in a package to land Gudbranson or Gormley then do it in a heartbeat.

I don't think that Whitney will get more than 3mil a year not at his age. Paille and Sobotka stay along with Thornton with Hunwick traded because of the emergence of McQuaid and Manchuk. Me thinks Recchi might retire which is a shame but i wouldn't be surprised to see him back.

The draft is just over a month away PC will wheel n deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MankatoMaverick. Show MankatoMaverick's posts

Major Need: Figure out how to make the most of Chara. 

Because of the need to make a news spash and sell jerseys, the B's rolled out Chara as Bourque's heir--new face of the franchise and all that.  The problem is that although Z does several things exceptionally well, he's not a franchise-type dominant two way defenseman.   This isnt a knock on Chara--just a realization that the Bruins started to believe their own hype and put Chara in about every situation possible, but not on a consistent basis.  He's not the slick puck rusher the Bruins need, and given their need for offense, maybe he shouldnt be called upon to play 25-30 minutes a night.  Wishful thinking, of course, but he would be better used as a #2 man, paired up with the right guy.  Right now the Bruins depend on him to answer the bell whenever a problem arises--but he's not Orr, Bourque, or even Park for that matter.  Let Z be Z, and he'll be more consistent. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Offseason game plan (part 1):
    Darren, Good post man...well thought out and not Kovy this and Kovy that...and I couldnt agree more on Ference...would rather have a used that money on Seid. Here are a few of my ideas... G- TT- he has to be dealt and I can see a number of teams wanting in on him...however I can see it only being part of a bad contract for bad contract.  What about to Philly for Hartnell?  Philly has more than enough grit and young studs to fill in on their top lines. A solid NHL backup can be found at discount prices. D- I want Seidenburg back but with the money we are dishing out to duds like Ryder we might wanna go youth...sign someone from a list of pretty good list of UFA dmen.  I always liked Hnidy...cheap and just good bang for the buck.  McQuad gets a chance as well. F- Whitney in my eyes gets more than 6 million over 2...more like 8 over 2.  But good choice.  I think the only way we get better up front is via trade or RFA.  We have the same problem Pitt does...all centers and no wingers... On the trade front there are some obvious ones out there...I really like Horton in Florida...if he played with Savard he would be a 30 goal man every year...add Lucic on that line and thats a nice 1st line.  My RFA's would be Clarkson and Ryan...I think the Ducks match any offer but its worth trying...Clarkson would be a fan favorit here and would also mean that Thorton and Mayers on your list wouldnt be nec.   Now I am not saying all of my ideas go down...but they are a few names I would look at.  I am pretty happy with the youth we have coming up...lots to be excited about in Bruins Country..the loss hurts but we are building a nice pkg for the future. Cheers...and again...nice post
    Posted by shuperman

You need to pull off a Celticsesque kind of trade (s)  KG and Allen kind of players, until they realize that's what we need there will be no cup in bosotn.

And I'm not talking about Kovalchuk or Iginla.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

Our main problem (obviously) is cap space.  If we can move Thomas and Ryder, it would be a great help.  We do get a relief from the Murray contract running out (finally).  We are at 46 mil and we have about half of our team as UFA and RFA's. 

For RFA's, we need to sign Boychuk and Stuart.  I would like to see McQuaid back as well (for the right price).  As far as I'm concerned, everyone else can walk.  Paille was good SH, and Sobotka has heart, but really might as well play without a stick. The jury is out on Wheeler, but we can all agree that he was absent when we needed him the most.

For UFA's I would like to see Seidenberg, Satan, and Recchi back (if he wants to return).  I do like Thornton and Begin, and they are fiery at times, but can be replaced.

With that said, I would not give Whitney more than 2.75 mil just because of age.  We need to think contract sense, like the Pats do.  No more 4-5 mil for unproven (Lucic) or 6 mil for really anyone who isn't DOMINANT.  Look what happened to Murray, the current Thomas situaion, Manny Fernandez, etc...  Its time to sign young players, draft picks for low numbers, and offer in the 2-2.5 mil range for players to stay.  The only FA players out there who I would offer more than 4-5 range are Lidstrom, Marleau and Kovalchuk, and I would not pay a cent over 6 for any of them.  I would look at adding maybe Selanne at 2-2.25 mil (27 G in 54 Games) if he wants to play, lose a couple of the 5 4th line checking players that we have, and get the needed scoring that kept us out of the Eastern Conference Finals...

Lucic  Savard  Selanne
    Hall  Krejci   Satan
    Sturm  Bergeron  Recchi
    Marchand? Whitfield?  ?

Soderberg  Hamill  Caron
    Suave Colborne Lehtonen

Chara  Boychuk
    Stuart  Siendenberg
    Ference  Hunwick

McQuaid

Rask
    ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

ford,

I gotta agree...go young on the back end...the ference deal was staggering to say the least...MCquad should be a regular along with the signing of a cheap guy like Hnidy.

Our goaltending is solved once TT is dealt...its easy to find a decent backup...the list of goalies is pretty impressive(UFA's) so we won't get much for TT other than a bad contract in return...which is hopefully a scoring winger.

Up front we will get Seguin...we then need to look for at least one scoring winger for Savard....selanne and Kariya are apparently reuinting in Anaheim for one more crack at the cup...so we should consider a young RFA...make an offer and see if we can land someone solid...worst case we lose a few picks...well after this yrs draft we should be set for a while...

Time to go young and cheap for a few yrs...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

This is a HUGE offseason for PC...he better not screw it up...I don't want this to happen, but it would be funny if the B's traded Timmy and signed Raycroft as Tuukka's backup...

Also, I would love to see Selanne in a B's jersey, but I doubt it will happen...what about a Billy Guerin redux?  He's proven he can still score on a good line...might be 1 too many senior citizens if Recchi comes back though...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

I would like to see the Bruins use their youth while its cheap. we are lacking in speed, I would really like to see what Sauve can do with a gifted centreman. my team would look like this next year:

Lucic   Savard   Wheeler (Looch could bring out the best in Wheels, monkey c monkey do.)
    Seguin/Hall  Krejci   Sauve  (possibly very dangerous)

Recchi   Bergeron   Ryder/Caron (a nice scoring checking line) I hope Recchi plays another year great team guy, who knows what they will do with ryder??.

Paille   Begin   Thornton (physical, tough line to play against, good PK).

Chara   Seidenberg
    Wideman Boychuck
    Stuart  Ference
    Hunwick

Thomas/ Rask

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shappydappydoo. Show shappydappydoo's posts

It would be nice if you could put sauve there, but I don't know if he is ready yet. You also could potentially put Colborne somewhere in the 3rd or 4th.

Only thing I disagree with it Paille over Sobotka. Hes a great energy guy and would be a solid 4th line grinder.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

I know I said it earlier,but I expect and/or hope the bruins......
    -Draft HALL
    -Trade #15 pick + CHARA for BOBBY RYAN's rights
    -Sign SEIDENBERG
    -Re-sign WHEELER 1.25M avg.,RECCHI 1.5M, THORNTON .8M
    -THOMAS/RASK combo at a cap hit of 6.25 is not outrageous.
            2010/2011 BRUINS

HALL           SAVARD          RYAN
    LUCIC          KREJCI           RYDER
    WHEELER      BERGERON      RECCHI
    MARCHAND    SOBOTKA       THORNTON

STUART        BOYCHUK
    SEIDENBERG   WIDEMAN
    HUNWICK       FERENCE

THOMAS
    RASK

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Darren, doubtful we can sign Siedenberg for 3 M; he's said he wants top dollar and with his talent will probably go for 4-4.5.  Let's hope we can hold him, but it's doubtful

As for Hunwick, I can't see letting him go for a paltry fourth round pick.  He emerged as a slick D-man in the playoffs , great offense, fewer D mistakes, and getting high skills on the boards.  Like many fans, I love watching him and hope he stays.  But if not, we can probably get more in return.  Agree?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

I love Guerin and would love to see him back, but not for more than $2 mil.    He scored over 20 again this year.    I don't think it will be too many seniors, most of the team is young now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

CarolinaClamMan what hunwick did you watch, the 2009 or 2010 playoffs ? Because he was scary in the 2010. not even close to what your described

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

I recall thinking "no turnovers" whenever Hunwick touched the puck.  He tries to skate through challenges too much, withought the reach or toughness of Chara.  To me Hunwick is caught between a good D and a good F.  Don Sweeney-like in his early days.  He needs to chill on the rushes like Don did and work on his toughness and D.  Thats when Don became solid.