Bruins sign Campbell, three others

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brewster77. Show Brewster77's posts

Bruins sign Campbell, three others

http://www.csnne.com/pages/bruins

BOSTON -- As expected, the Bruins signed center Gregory Campbell on Thursday. But while they were at it, they signed some other players, as well.

On the same day they announced reaching agreement on a two-year contract with Campbell, they also announced they have signed defenseman Andrew Bodnarchuk to a one-year contract, forward Jeff LoVecchio to a one-year contract and defenseman Adam McQuaid to a two-year contract.

More to come . . .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bhanlon156. Show bhanlon156's posts

Re: Bruins sign Campbell, three others

Good.  I like Bodnarchuk.  He should develop into a 4th defenseman at some point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins sign Campbell, three others:
    Good.  I like Bodnarchuk.  He should develop into a 4th defenseman at some point.
    Posted by bhanlon156

If he puts in the proper amount of off ice training, he might even crack the top two in Providence.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

McQuaid better be a 2-way contract

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

McQuaid better be a 2-way contract
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie

I literally just said this in another post!  haha....I hope so too

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I love how the main Bruin page reads "Expect to sign Campbell Soon" and then just below that "Bruins sign Campbell".  Wow, that was soon - literally fractions of a second after my eye scanned to see if that headline had changed.

The rush to "break" signings is stupid.  Do I care that the Bruins signed Campbell?  Not as much as I care that they signed him for less than $1M (guy had 2 goals last year...2); Am I happy they signed McQuaid and Bodnarchuk?  Sure, but not as happy as I'll be to see that they've given themselves the flexibility to keep McQuaid up or send him down.  Unless you give me all of the information I'm looking for, this "tweet" is for "sheet".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The rush to "break" signings is stupid. 
    Posted by Bookboy007

I agree.  Nothing changes if I read it now or tomorrow.  It's so bad.  People even do it here.  Whenever something happens, we get fifteen threads because people want to be the first to post it.

Dumb.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I don't mind hearing of news as quickly as possible, just not 10 different threads about the same breaking news...I really don't get why people do that...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-oviee. Show screw-cindy-and-oviee's posts

I love how the main Bruin page reads "Expect to sign Campbell Soon" and then just below that "Bruins sign Campbell".  Wow, that was soon - literally fractions of a second after my eye scanned to see if that headline had changed. The rush to "break" signings is stupid.  Do I care that the Bruins signed Campbell?  Not as much as I care that they signed him for less than $1M (guy had 2 goals last year...2); Am I happy they signed McQuaid and Bodnarchuk?  Sure, but not as happy as I'll be to see that they've given themselves the flexibility to keep McQuaid up or send him down.  Unless you give me all of the information I'm looking for, this "tweet" is for "sheet".
    Posted by Bookboy007

Go hang yourself you pompous bore.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins sign Campbell, three others : If he puts in the proper amount of off ice training, he might even crack the top two in Providence.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Actually, all joking aside, the kid does project to be a nice 4-6 defenseman.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

mcquaid has a wierd deal, 2 way this year, 1 way next year
    Posted by pbergeron37

Not weird at all. They expect him to play mostly in Providence this year and provide injury depth in Boston, and if he progresses as expected (a la Boychuk), next year he'll be with the big club to stay, barring a trade, of course.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Chiarelli's shrewd move pick ups of McQuaid and Boychuk will pay off! PC also got the Bs younger at the 4th line center position Campbell over Begin.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins sign Campbell, three others : Actually, all joking aside, the kid does project to be a nice 4-6 defenseman.
    Posted by beantowngm15

Based on what?  Two seasons in Providence?  I don't know what it is with some of you guys here.  You think that every player drafted or signed by the B's is going to be an NHLer.  Most of them won't play 50 NHL games, let alone be a good 2nd pairing defenseman in the NHL. 

There are 30 teams in the NHL.  That means, at any one time, there are only 180 spots available for defenseman.  The NHL is the best league in the world.  Do you really think, based on two seasons (very average at best) in the AHL that this kid is going to be one of the top 200 defensemen in the world?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins sign Campbell, three others : Not weird at all. They expect him to play mostly in Providence this year and provide injury depth in Boston, and if he progresses as expected (a la Boychuk), next year he'll be with the big club to stay, barring a trade, of course.  
    Posted by duinne

(sigh of relief)....

I was worried that we were going to trade savard and completely dismantle a cup contending team because we just NEED McQuaid and Wheeler on the  B's.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins sign Campbell, three others : I literally just said this in another post!  haha....I hope so too
    Posted by Drewski5

In the conference call, PC said that it was a 2 way deal the first year and a 1 way deal the second.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins sign Campbell, three others : In the conference call, PC said that it was a 2 way deal the first year and a 1 way deal the second.PostedbyBadHabitude

Not the newsbreaking blockbuster that we want to hear but McQuaid, Stuart and Boychuck are good short term "earn your next contract" signings.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianBruin. Show CanadianBruin's posts

Adam McQuaid is only 24 years old. He has improved every year since he started playing pro, both as a player and a fighter. He came up last year and played a semi regular shift in the playoffs and people come on here and rip the guy. Not a Shot and Drewski did you ever play hockey before? Not an insult I really want to know, because you both seem intelligent but I could not disagree with you more on some of your assessments of our own players. McQuaid is still developing so it's hard to say what his potential is at this point, but based on his improvment to this point why is everyone treating this like a nothing signing. He's 6"5, keeps his game very simple, and is very willing to scrap and he's cheap. If you're really a Bruins fan you gotta love this kid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Do I care that the Bruins signed Campbell?  Not as much as I care that they signed him for less than $1M (guy had 2 goals last year...2);
    Posted by Bookboy007

Wish not granted.  Cap hit of $1.1M each year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Adam McQuaid is only 24 years old. He has improved every year since he started playing pro, both as a player and a fighter. He came up last year and played a semi regular shift in the playoffs and people come on here and rip the guy. Not a Shot and Drewski did you ever play hockey before? Not an insult I really want to know, because you both seem intelligent but I could not disagree with you more on some of your assessments of our own players. McQuaid is still developing so it's hard to say what his potential is at this point, but based on his improvment to this point why is everyone treating this like a nothing signing. He's 6"5, keeps his game very simple, and is very willing to scrap and he's cheap. If you're really a Bruins fan you gotta love this kid.
    Posted by CanadianBruin

Whether or not I have played or do play or am in a wheelchair is irrelevant.  I've watched McQuaid play a lot.  I've also watched countless amounts of Providence Bruins, Springfield Falcons, Worcester IceCats, Worcester Sharks, Beasts of New Haven, Albany River Rats, Norfolk Admirals, Hershey Bears, Lowell Lock Monsters, Lowell Devils, Portland Pirates, Rochester Americans, Baltimore Skipjacks, Fredericton Canadiens, Quebec Citadels, Orlando Solar Bears, Macon Whoopie (had to go to one), Charlotte Checkers, Long Beach Ice Dogs, Chesapeake Ice Breakers, Phoenix RoadRunners, and countless other teams play with their defensemen whom all the locals had figured were the next Norris candidates.

The vast majority of all players don't make it to the NHL.  McQuaid has done nothing to show me that he'll be an NHL regular.  If you're touting his increased fighting ability, however, I have to be suspect on your view.  If he fights and wins or fights and loses or doesn't fight at all, it doesn't matter.

He has a big body.  Great.  Jon Aitken was no shrinking violet.

Like many here, I used to think that every guy the B's drafted or signed was ticketed for a regular shift in the NHL.  It's just not the case.  For McQuaid, I'll believe it when I see it.  I don't expect to see it, but would be thrilled if I was wrong.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins sign Campbell, three others : Whether or not I have played or do play or am in a wheelchair is irrelevant.  I've watched McQuaid play a lot.  I've also watched countless amounts of Providence Bruins, Springfield Falcons, Worcester IceCats, Worcester Sharks, Beasts of New Haven, Albany River Rats, Norfolk Admirals, Hershey Bears, Lowell Lock Monsters, Lowell Devils, Portland Pirates, Rochester Americans, Baltimore Skipjacks, Fredericton Canadiens, Quebec Citadels, Orlando Solar Bears, Macon Whoopie (had to go to one), Charlotte Checkers, Long Beach Ice Dogs, Chesapeake Ice Breakers, Phoenix RoadRunners, and countless other teams play with their defensemen whom all the locals had figured were the next Norris candidates. The vast majority of all players don't make it to the NHL.  McQuaid has done nothing to show me that he'll be an NHL regular.  If you're touting his increased fighting ability, however, I have to be suspect on your view.  If he fights and wins or fights and loses or doesn't fight at all, it doesn't matter. He has a big body.  Great.  Jon Aitken was no shrinking violet. Like many here, I used to think that every guy the B's drafted or signed was ticketed for a regular shift in the NHL.  It's just not the case.  For McQuaid, I'll believe it when I see it.  I don't expect to see it, but would be thrilled if I was wrong.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Great points.

In addition, the NHL has a salary cap, which complicates everything.  This "I played hockey so I know more..." is complete BS.  Even if it will assist you in recognizing talent (I doubt this highly , but even if it is true), that doesnt even matter because talent does not tell the whole story.

Its talent WITH RESPECT TO CONTRACT.  Spezza is a great example.  Good player, liability on your team (not worht his cap hit).  So guess what?  Whether or not McQuaid is good or not doesnt matter. We're up against the cap, and therefore any signing of a player to a 1 way deal would be a bad move. 

And its a bad move for reasons outside of hockey.  Its a bad because it shows poor accounting,a failure to grasp economics (opportunity cost), its illogical, and it fails to consider all relevant variables (calculus).

All of the above (yes, even including accounting, calculus and economics) factor into the decisions that you need to be able to make as a GM.  Does the fact that you played hockey mean that you have a better grasp on economics and accounting?

The NHL (both on the ice and the management of) has become a thinking man's game....And it needed to, because when it only catered to people like yourself (you have to play hockey to understand hockey), it almost went bankrupt. 

You need to embrace the new school.  That is if you're capable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Drew,
    I will bring up the point too that having played hockey, there are people who play who get it, there are people who dont play who get it.. There are those who dont play but get it, and those who dont play who dont get it.. having the talent to play, is mostly a gift and hard work, it's not an intelligence factor.. There are those who understand it better, and its certainly an asset.. I was certainly a smarter player then a good player when I played, and there were plenty of guys around me who were better..

Ovechkin is one of the top players in the league, but as an example, he certainly does not play a cerebrial game, he is insticts, and reaction, (i think that is why the kneeing has come into play).. Arguably the best talent in the game, but I certainly wouldnt want him making coaching or management decisions...

Also Canadian Fan, I am not sure if you were off on NAS original comment, but it was based on bodnarchuk's projection.. not mcquaids..

My two cents on the Mcquaid deal, its protection if Stuart is unable to be resigned after this season (ufa)  and the 2 way deal is mostly a cap savings, he is currently the number 7.. When the season ends and ryder and sturm are off the books he will be easier to carry full time with the big club..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Roler,

Exactly!  I agree 100%.  There are just so many variables that a modern day GM needs to take into account when making roster moves.  Accounting, calculus, economics, strategy (and more).  Its extremely possible for a move to make perfect sense from a hockey POV and still be a bad move.

Which is why I hate the: "you dont understand hockey management if you've never played hockey".....I'd even go as far to say that if you think that, you yourself probably dont understand hockey management.

The salary cap (an extremely restrictive salary cap, no less) changes all and adds a strategy element (which I love, personally).  But then again, im a math geek.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianBruin. Show CanadianBruin's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins sign Campbell, three others : Whether or not I have played or do play or am in a wheelchair is irrelevant.  I've watched McQuaid play a lot.  I've also watched countless amounts of Providence Bruins, Springfield Falcons, Worcester IceCats, Worcester Sharks, Beasts of New Haven, Albany River Rats, Norfolk Admirals, Hershey Bears, Lowell Lock Monsters, Lowell Devils, Portland Pirates, Rochester Americans, Baltimore Skipjacks, Fredericton Canadiens, Quebec Citadels, Orlando Solar Bears, Macon Whoopie (had to go to one), Charlotte Checkers, Long Beach Ice Dogs, Chesapeake Ice Breakers, Phoenix RoadRunners, and countless other teams play with their defensemen whom all the locals had figured were the next Norris candidates. The vast majority of all players don't make it to the NHL.  McQuaid has done nothing to show me that he'll be an NHL regular.  If you're touting his increased fighting ability, however, I have to be suspect on your view.  If he fights and wins or fights and loses or doesn't fight at all, it doesn't matter. He has a big body.  Great.  Jon Aitken was no shrinking violet. Like many here, I used to think that every guy the B's drafted or signed was ticketed for a regular shift in the NHL.  It's just not the case.  For McQuaid, I'll believe it when I see it.  I don't expect to see it, but would be thrilled if I was wrong.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I would like express how impressed I am with you list of Pro and major junior hockey clubs, it really added to your post. Now, I said nothing about McQuaid becoming a Norris finalist, I was simply tired of him be written off as a career AHLer. I'm also not sure I follow your logic when you say that wheather or not he wins, loses or fights at all doesn't matter. Maybe you're of the belief that fighting in hockey is on it's way out of the game. I agree that there is no longer a place for pure goons, but that's totally different. If the B's fight or not may not matter to some fans, but it matters to the teams in their division. If you have to play a team that has 5 or 6 guys that will fight at the drop of a hat, everyone on the opposing team, minus the obvious untouchables, is going to not look forward to playing that game. That's why tough teams have psychological advantages over teams, provided they can also play hockey. McQuaid is a hockey player, who is willing to fight, and that's something any team can use. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins sign Campbell, three others : I would like express how impressed I am with you list of Pro and major junior hockey clubs, it really added to your post. Now, I said nothing about McQuaid becoming a Norris finalist, I was simply tired of him be written off as a career AHLer. I'm also not sure I follow your logic when you say that wheather or not he wins, loses or fights at all doesn't matter. Maybe you're of the belief that fighting in hockey is on it's way out of the game. I agree that there is no longer a place for pure goons, but that's totally different. If the B's fight or not may not matter to some fans, but it matters to the teams in their division. If you have to play a team that has 5 or 6 guys that will fight at the drop of a hat, everyone on the opposing team, minus the obvious untouchables, is going to not look forward to playing that game. That's why tough teams have psychological advantages over teams, provided they can also play hockey. McQuaid is a hockey player, who is willing to fight, and that's something any team can use. 
    Posted by CanadianBruin

You know who else opposing teams do not look forward to playing (even more so)?  Teams that win games consistently.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins sign Campbell, three others : I would like express how impressed I am with you list of Pro and major junior hockey clubs, it really added to your post. Now, I said nothing about McQuaid becoming a Norris finalist, I was simply tired of him be written off as a career AHLer. I'm also not sure I follow your logic when you say that wheather or not he wins, loses or fights at all doesn't matter. Maybe you're of the belief that fighting in hockey is on it's way out of the game. I agree that there is no longer a place for pure goons, but that's totally different. If the B's fight or not may not matter to some fans, but it matters to the teams in their division. If you have to play a team that has 5 or 6 guys that will fight at the drop of a hat, everyone on the opposing team, minus the obvious untouchables, is going to not look forward to playing that game. That's why tough teams have psychological advantages over teams, provided they can also play hockey. McQuaid is a hockey player, who is willing to fight, and that's something any team can use. 
    Posted by CanadianBruin

Take a look at last year's Chicago team, the Penguins the year before that, and the Red Wings the year before that.

I don't know if you'll find 5 or 6 guys who were willing to fight at the drop of a hat between all three teams.  Those teams all do have something in common, however.