Bruins Talk With Islanders

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Re: Bruins Talk With Islanders

In Response to Re: Bruins Talk With Islanders:
    I agree with Try to Bear it.....Now something like the following , I would do. Wheeler, Leighton to the Isles Isles 2nd rounder to philly Bruins 2nd rounder to philly Thomas to Philly Gagne to Bruins. Horton Savard Gagne Lucic Krejci Seguin Recchi Bergeron Ryder Thornton Campbell Paille Chara / Seidenberg Boychuck / Ference Stuart / Hunwick Rask not-sure Cup contenders.
    Posted by Drewski5

Now THAT is a beautiful deal. I would be thrilled at a healthy Gagne coming to the B's as long as we keep Savvy, and at this point I'd trade Wheeler for a bag of pucks and some cartoon jerseys. Sadly, I can't see it happening.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

trytobearit, it doesn't happen often, but I agree with you on this one, and drewski, i like that idea a LOT. I thought about Streit a while ago, it is possible that the Isles would see that they aren't getting into the playoffs anytime soon, and be willing to part with him. I don't see Savard or Thomas heading the other way though, I don't think we would be so lucky as to ditch thomas in that deal, if we could, that would be amazing. How about: BOS 1st round pick to NYI Matt Hunwick to NYI Michael Ryder to NYI Mark Streit to BOS basically we are trading them a 1st rounder for streit, and were giving them hunwick for taking Ryder. They might ask for more
    Posted by pbergeron37

I like this idea too, but I still don't see the Isles going for it.  There's no way they have resigned themselves to not making the playoffs in July.  They have a decent stable of young talent that should be getting better each year, so I'm sure they are optimistic about making the playoffs.  Further, Streit is arguably their best player.  Teams up against the cap might move their best player, but why would the Isles (with $28 million to spend) want to move their best player?  I just can't see them moving Streit for a draft pick.  Savvy and/or Thomas have to be invloved for the Isles to give up one of their top guys (this may change come February if it is clear they won't make the playoffs and they want to unload salary for youth/draft picks, but not now in July).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

"where's ferrence?"

In Providence, hopefully

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Gee, let's see, the Islanders are so close to a cup, picking up a couple of aging veteran players like TT and Savard in exchange for a couple of good younger players is okay, because it should put them over the top and bring home the cup. Oh wait, sorry, I forgot, the Islanders eat monkey dung, they're not close to a cup at all. Nevermind that plan. Forget I said it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Trading Thomas for Gagne doesn't work for either team. Gagne makes $5.25 million a year and Thomas makes $5. Wheeler isn't under contract yet. So, this trade gives the Bruins even less cap space. The Flyers want to trade Gagne to create cap space. This gives them very little cap space. The trade doesn't help either team cap-wise

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

by the way, the most common mistake made on these boards is the spelling of ference. For the love of god people there are not two R's in Ference. Why is it that 2/3 of the people on these boards spell it Ferrence? Charawinsthenorris - thats why i added my suggestion above
    Posted by pbergeron37

I think the biggest mistake on these boards is the idea that someone will accept Ryder in trade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I thought about Streit a while ago, it is possible that the Isles would see that they aren't getting into the playoffs anytime soon, and be willing to part with him. I don't see Savard or Thomas heading the other way though, I don't think we would be so lucky as to ditch thomas in that deal, if we could, that would be amazing. How about: BOS 1st round pick to NYI Matt Hunwick to NYI Michael Ryder to NYI Mark Streit to BOS basically we are trading them a 1st rounder for streit, and were giving them hunwick for taking Ryder. They might ask for more
    Posted by pbergeron37

The only way Ryder gets dealt which is very slight is including Boston's 2011 1st or 2nd. PC would most certainly have to take salary back.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

not to a team like the islanders who are around the cap floor. they NEED salary. NAS - if a team is getting a first round pick with him, absolutely they would....keep bringing the bitter though, its noble work your doing
    Posted by pbergeron37

If they need salary that badly, they coud sign Frolov.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmmanning. Show tmmanning's posts

trytobearit, it doesn't happen often, but I agree with you on this one, and drewski, i like that idea a LOT. I thought about Streit a while ago, it is possible that the Isles would see that they aren't getting into the playoffs anytime soon, and be willing to part with him. I don't see Savard or Thomas heading the other way though, I don't think we would be so lucky as to ditch thomas in that deal, if we could, that would be amazing. How about: BOS 1st round pick to NYI Matt Hunwick to NYI Michael Ryder to NYI Mark Streit to BOS basically we are trading them a 1st rounder for streit, and were giving them hunwick for taking Ryder. They might ask for more
    Posted by pbergeron37

As crazy as a Ryder trade sounds why not

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Talk With Islanders : oh i missed the promotion that the NHL announced where signing Frolov comes with a first round pick and a young mobile defensmen.
    Posted by pbergeron37

Oh, my mistake entirely.  I missed the part where you were giving away a first round pick and a young mobile defenseman in order to move the last year of Ryder's contract to someone else's books.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

"Boston is trying to package Savard and Thomas in a deal"

Where are all the Chiarelli supporters who can defend this ridiculous set of circumstances ???  Why would a GM sign these guys long term, with the no movement clause...just to try and trade them when there value is much lower than it was less than a year ago when they were signed ??? It's absurd -

You don't believe that this guy is in over his head
    ?????????

(crickets chirping)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

"Boston is trying to package Savard and Thomas in a deal" Where are all the Chiarelli supporters who can defend this ridiculous set of circumstances ???  Why would a GM sign these guys long term, with the no movement clause...just to try and trade them when there value is much lower than it was less than a year ago when they were signed ??? It's absurd - You don't believe that this guy is in over his head ????????? (crickets chirping)
    Posted by JWensink

You forgot to mention Julien's signing too. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Talk With Islanders : Actually, you missed pretty much my entire post, and yes, it is your mistake. I suggested moving a young mobile defensmen a 1st round pick, and the last year of Michael Ryder's contract for Mark Streit.....got it now? ok good
    Posted by pbergeron37

They could probably get a first round pick and a player of Hunwick's caliber for Streit.  They wouldn't need to eat Ryder's $4M.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Talk With Islanders : oh i missed the promotion that the NHL announced where signing Frolov comes with a first round pick and a young mobile defensmen. Posted by pbergeron37

That's a nice promotion the NHL should have more Garth!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

"Boston is trying to package Savard and Thomas in a deal" Where are all the Chiarelli supporters who can defend this ridiculous set of circumstances ???  Why would a GM sign these guys long term, with the no movement clause...just to try and trade them when there value is much lower than it was less than a year ago when they were signed ??? It's absurd - You don't believe that this guy is in over his head ????????? (crickets chirping)
    Posted by JWensink

Disagree entirely.

Look at our team.  We can compete in the present, and we have a stacked minor league system for the future.

What else do you want?

There is no GM that could have predicted that Rask would not need to be phased in.  The Thomas deal was supposed to be as follows: we get a Vezina award caliber goalie for yr 1 and yr 2, who plays 50% of the games in yr 3 (as we phase Rask in), and an overpaid backup in yr 4.  But its okay, for Thomas to be overpaid in yr 4 if the value of the contract is realized over its life.  This is actually a GM strategy.  If you think you are good you may sign a guy to a 4 yr deal, knowing that he will be overpaid in yr 4.  The point is to put you over the hump in yrs 1, 2, and 3.  Its not PC's fault that Rask has emerged.  As a GM , trying to move Thomas is just dealing with situations that change around him.

Im not even going to go there on Savard, because we all know that none of us would be even thinking about trading him had he not been concussed and had we not gotten Seguin.

You are blaming PC because circumstances, beyond his control have changed, and he is now trying to adjust to them.  He's not the best GM, but I dont at all think he's over his head.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Solid points Drew.  I agree whole heartedly on the Savard talk as PC was applauded when savy signed.. There has always been criticism of the thomas signing, but he was certainly the best available at the time, and even beyond rask we have nothing.. He was in a No win, you let the defending Vezina winner walk to suit up an untested rookie the year after you have the best record in the east?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

okay NAS, now look back to my original post where i said that the isles might ask for a bit more. If you had to throw in mid range pick/prospect to get that deal done would it be a dealbreaker? no. it makes room for a rookie, it upgrades your defense x1,000,000 and the Bs would gain a very small bit of cap room.
    Posted by pbergeron37

Why would the Islanders deal Streit?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Good points drew and roler . I hear crickets chirping the other way now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

The problem with TT's contract comes back to one crutial error.  PC thought he was signing TT to a standard player contract by signing him before his 35th birthday.  We know that wasn't the case and I'm convinced that if he was aware of that important nugget of information the deal would've looked completely different, if he was signed at all.  Hard to know.  If PC knew that TT's birthday wasn't a deadline what might he have done?  I can't answer that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I don't see Savard and Thomas waiving there no trade clauses, but funnier things have happened, we'll see. I think the Bruins staff has a few more moves left in them, time will tell. Go Bruins!
    Posted by Declan26

Why is misspelling "there/their" the most common error on all these postings?  Do Boston schools not teach English any more?

NYI would probably want TT because they have been in stockpiling goaltender mode for a while now, with all THEIR injuries. They have been carrying them 3 deep in recent years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

The problem with TT's contract comes back to one crutial error.  PC thought he was signing TT to a standard player contract by signing him before his 35th birthday.  We know that wasn't the case and I'm convinced that if he was aware of that important nugget of information the deal would've looked completely different, if he was signed at all.  Hard to know.  If PC knew that TT's birthday wasn't a deadline what might he have done?  I can't answer that.
    Posted by Raskman

I agree with you on that, (assuming that was the case) I don't believe anyone has ever confirmed PC didnt get the wording of the CBA.

I don't think there was any case where they could have let him walk away though, and I think getting him signed before free agency was a key. I do believe he would have been a prime target for say washington, or chicago at that time.

maybe we would be looking at a straight forward 3 year deal at his actual 6per cap hit..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Talk With Islanders : Disagree entirely. Look at our team.  We can compete in the present, and we have a stacked minor league system for the future. What else do you want? There is no GM that could have predicted that Rask would not need to be phased in.  The Thomas deal was supposed to be as follows: we get a Vezina award caliber goalie for yr 1 and yr 2, who plays 50% of the games in yr 3 (as we phase Rask in), and an overpaid backup in yr 4.  But its okay, for Thomas to be overpaid in yr 4 if the value of the contract is realized over its life.  This is actually a GM strategy.  If you think you are good you may sign a guy to a 4 yr deal, knowing that he will be overpaid in yr 4.  The point is to put you over the hump in yrs 1, 2, and 3.  Its not PC's fault that Rask has emerged.  As a GM , trying to move Thomas is just dealing with situations that change around him. Im not even going to go there on Savard, because we all know that none of us would be even thinking about trading him had he not been concussed and had we not gotten Seguin. You are blaming PC because circumstances, beyond his control have changed, and he is now trying to adjust to them.  He's not the best GM, but I dont at all think he's over his head.
    Posted by Drewski5

The problem with this logic is every NHL GM understood that TT was simply a career backup having a miracle season behind the league's best defense.  Anybody with a clue could see that Fernandez had the same numbers TT had before his back injury, and then Thomas wins a very tainted "Vezina" against 2 other nobodies.  For PC to overreact and pay him like he's Marty Brodeur was silly, shortsighted and shockingly naive, especially seeing how it was PC who was desperately trying to replace TT at every turn leading up to that season.

TT fans or not, anyone who did not regard that insane $5M per contract for 4 YEARS for an aging flopper with the worst fundamentals in the NHL is simply clueless.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Talk With Islanders : I agree with you on that, (assuming that was the case) I don't believe anyone has ever confirmed PC didnt get the wording of the CBA. I don't think there was any case where they could have let him walk away though, and I think getting him signed before free agency was a key. I do believe he would have been a prime target for say washington, or chicago at that time. maybe we would be looking at a straight forward 3 year deal at his actual 6per cap hit..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I can't confirm, but people on my other board said that PC was on the radio talking about the timing of the deal and how getting TT signed before his birthday was avoiding the 35+ restrictions.  Again, I didn't hear it myself, but multiple people claimed to.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Posted by Raskman

Raskman... expand on this.  I remember the Globe reporting that part of the reason of the timing on that awful contract was to get him signed before his birthday, as it would affect dumping him easier down the road.  What are you saying?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

Tell me suxfansinill how Thomas made,and won two all star games with one miracle season?Once again you are the most clueless poster on these boards.For once go look at TT's stats since he became a Bruin and you will find you have no base or fact for your dumb opinion.Your slogan is old and worn out and was funny when it was first heard in 1776!!!!