B's SIGN SAVARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodtick7. Show woodtick7's posts

Re: B's SIGN SAVARD

Thats 100 percent correct Olsonic. Savard could have gotten more elsewhere. I find it refreshing to see that he took a home town discount to stay he must like Boston and the future of the organization.

We can thank him in the future when we sign a free agent wouldn't otherwise have signed because of the contract he signed.

I do get the feeling people think he must play until he is 39 for the contract to be worthy, i don't feel thats the case and i doubt he plays that long.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

100% correct on the Jersey front too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Glad to have him, he's a gifted playmaking center. Now all we need is a couple of legit NHL first line wingers who are capable of exploiting his talents. Let's hope Mgmt. has a plan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

great deal...Savy is a perfect fit and shows others they plan on contending in the yrs to come...I think signing Thomas was a mistake...well for the money given anyway...didn't they learn anything from Manny...

Hopefully this can pave the way for a pure snipper like Kovy to play on his line...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

yeah...

Not paying star dollars a 1 dimensional winger is a great plan.. getting two first round picks from the worst team in the league is a pretty good plan

Paying Lucic/Krejci/Savard was also a pretty good plan

creating enough wiggle room to make a run at a stud winger is also a good plan.

Not crippling your teams future by overpaying 1 player and maxing out the cap.
    thats not a plan, its a STRATEGY

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodtick7. Show woodtick7's posts

Vic i see your slowly killing yourself here. The Bruins signed Savard for 4.2 a season a lot more than that snot nosed winey punk Kessel is worth. In my day of playing hockey you had to earn your stripes, ice time and money with consistency.

Kessels seasons consisted of 29-39 and 60 point seasons hardly worth 5.2 mill a season when he hasn't really proven results over a long period of time like Savard.

I'am not saying he won't have 35 goal seasons its possible he will but i think the fact he didn't want to be here and over priced himself should put a end to this subject.

We did great in the trade , 2 1st rounders 1 potentially being Taylor Hall who all experts covet.

I for 1 am glad that Kessel will contribute to the Leafs longer drought of winning the Stanley Cup then the Bruins are in.

Just cheer for Toronto and wait for that parade down Young street maybe in the year 3000.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from VicRattlehead. Show VicRattlehead's posts

In Response to Re: B's SIGN SAVARD:
    [QUOTE] that snot nosed winey punk Kessel is worth.
    Posted by woodtick7[/QUOTE]

How is he "whiney" and "snot nosed" please give me an example of this...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Vic,

seem to be missing the part about be bruins losing their entire 1st line. kessel (trade) Savard(Injury) and Lucic(Injury)

Clearly, the bruins aren't going to be able to be the offensive jugg they were the previous season.. but I'm willing to bet they will be JUST FINE once Lucic and Savard are back in business.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Heelsox. Show Heelsox's posts

Great pick up by the Bruins, especially at the value it's coming as. Savard might not be on the Ovechkin, Crosby level of stars...but he's definately the tier below. I don't think it's the right time to give up on management at all, look at what the Celtics did...everyone wanted ainge's head...but he had a plan all along, I can see this with PC as well...we're in a great position right now, as we're contending and reloading at the same exact time. Savard will have his winger, if not this season...next. It's a great day to be a Bruin

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

Excellent deal for the Bruins, great cap hit that will allow the Bruins flexibility to do other things.

Just think how Montreal must feel paying $7.4 million per year for Scott Gomez and his 2 goals 9 asst in 22 games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

He said he would take the a discount to stay and Mark kept his word! BruinsUnite where are you ? Your Gray pinstriped chicago gangsta suit wearin CRUSH is here to stay! If the length of the contract is what got it done so be it!

To all the haters (Hab and Laffs Trolls) WHO CARES WHAT YOU THINK!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

update:

"The economical cap hit of $4.007 million is ostensibly $1 million lower than the salary space Savard has consumed on the Boston payroll the last four years."

Cap hit is even less than we thought

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from looch65. Show looch65's posts

Savard is just coming out of his prime now at age 32. He just signed a deal for a whopping 7 years to bring him to almost age 40... Lets see if we're still popping the champagne or juicy juice for pauly1 three seasons from now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]Savard is just coming out of his prime now at age 32. He just signed a deal for a whopping 7 years to bring him to almost age 40... Lets see if we're still popping the champagne or juicy juice for pauly1 three seasons from now.
    Posted by looch65[/QUOTE] At 4.2 mil  are you kidding. I wonder how the habs feel with gomez at 7.353 mil. for 5 years?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]Savard is just coming out of his prime now at age 32. He just signed a deal for a whopping 7 years to bring him to almost age 40... Lets see if we're still popping the champagne or juicy juice for pauly1 three seasons from now.
    Posted by looch65[/QUOTE] Coming out of his prime??? this isn't track and field and yes the champagne which I never drink tasted great last night. My best friend (a hab fan) was shaking his head all night wondering how PC got this done. Evan if the bruins get 4 or 5 good years out of him they could buy out the last couple of years and this would still be a BARGAIN.

Only a troll could see negatives in this signing.

Rask and now savard, can anybody else see a canidate for executive of the year. It's still early but WOW. I know this comment will bring on the bottom feeders, but give us a fair comparison of other gms work (if you dare). LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: B's SIGN SAVARD : Coming out of his prime??? this isn't track and field
    Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]

what a great line pauly :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodtick7. Show woodtick7's posts

Hey Vic Rattlehead the use of whiney and snot nosed kid was to prove a point that he was young spoiled brat wanting more money don't you get that.

For what he has accomplished so far in his career i really don't see where he warranted a 5-6 mill dollar contract.

He may produce in the future to warrant such a deal but he surely didn't deserve that much money. One 36 goal year shouldn't bring that much money back.

He may produce at that level later in his career who is to know for sure.

Really don't see why any level headed fan wouldn't be satisfied with the return in the trade of Kessel.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

this is a dan duquette move and a move that the B's need to do. It's also a complete response to all those fans who don't think upper management cares about the product on the ice. this is not the old jacobs teams of the past, apparently the younger jacobs is a little more understanding of the NHL and chiarelli is/and has been a shrewd careful GM. You have to be. If you throw your money at overrated free agents, you can get murdered. Instead finally a real B like Savard gets taken care of...ok, like that one chatter said, let's get a sniper scorer for him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1506524. Show user_1506524's posts

7 years??????  about 6 too long in my opinion!   Get rid of these old crapbags. Raak is the same thing.....he now has to wait 3 more years to be the starter??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Great article from SI.com

Hockey may be a game of sacrifice on the ice, but that selflessness rarely shows itself at the bargaining table. When the term "hometown discount" is tossed around, it usually means a haircut of a couple hundred thousand, maybe a million (case in point: Sidney Crosby's well-deserved but nonetheless limiting $8.7 million annual hit in Pittsburgh). Everybody smiles, talks about how much the extra cap flexibility means to the team, and a few pennies are pushed from one pile to another.

But Marc Savard, who has earned $5 million a year as Boston's leading scorer over the past three seasons, made a more sizable concession. As a free agent this summer, he would have attracted offers in the $6-$7 million range. But the seven-year, $28.05 million accord announced this week proved him to be the rare player who is truly willing to take one for the team.

Rather than follow ex-linemate Phil Kessel's advice to maximize his take in the open market (and, you know, maybe join him in Toronto), Savard actively campaigned for a deal to stay with the Bruins that actually cut his cap footprint. The pact was heavily front-loaded, paying him $7 million each of the first two years. After that, it's $6.5 million, $5 million, $1.5 million and then just $525,000 over the final two years. In essence, the 32-year-old and the team are betrothed for just the next four years. If his productivity slips before or during the last three seasons of the deal, the Bruins can send him out to pasture with a readily absorbable buyout.

The irony of it is rich. Savard, a guy ripped for much of his career as the epitome of me-first selfishness, proves to be the game's ultimate team player where it matters most these days. Good on him. Now the pressure's on Boston GM Peter Chiarelli to do something important with the cap space to justify Savard's sacrifice.

Sections
Shortcuts