Burins ARE trying to trade Tim Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobby774. Show bobby774's posts

Burins ARE trying to trade Tim Thomas

Weei is reporting that the bruins are trying to trade Timmy,. And he is willing to wave his no trade clause.

just reporting what eei is reporting!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MontrealBrewin. Show MontrealBrewin's posts

Re: Burins ARE trying to trade Tim Thomas

Yeah I think Haggerty reported this y'day.

Good for both sides if a deal happens. B's gets salary relief and Tim gets to be a started somewhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It will not happen !!!  Rask is not ready to fulfill this job 100%.
    The only way i will happen is another goalie coming back the Bruins way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MontrealBrewin. Show MontrealBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Burins ARE trying to trade Tim Thomas:
    It will not happen !!!  Rask is not ready to fulfill this job 100%. The only way i will happen is another goalie coming back the Bruins way.
    Posted by BsLegion

Rask is ready to be #1 but yes, def the B's need a backup.

Good news is plenty of goalies out there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Better hope Tukka doesn't falter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxx. Show mxx's posts

I hope that if the TT trade happens; it works out well for TT.

I hope TT plays better that he did this past year, eliminates the soft goals at just the wrong time and instills more confidence in the guys in front of him.

I'm sure he will be bummed big time if he continues to play as he has been and he ends up being someone else’s backup on a new team.

Good luck TT

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

If Rask suffers a sophomore slump next season like young goaltenders like Price and Mason previously on other NHL teams, I just hope that the Bruins can bring in a goaltender of Thomas' abilities to back him up...  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Burins ARE trying to trade Tim Thomas : Rask is ready to be #1 but yes, def the B's need a backup. Good news is plenty of goalies out there.
    Posted by MontrealBrewin

Who would you have in mind that is as good as Thomas is ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

with the plethora of backups around it would help both TT, who deserves a good opportunity, and the Bruins cap. Other musing indicate that Wheeler and/or Lehtonen are in play. Would also expect Hunwick, Stuart as possible trade alternatives, and Ryder plus a draft pick for cap relief.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MontrealBrewin. Show MontrealBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Burins ARE trying to trade Tim Thomas : Who would you have in mind that is as good as Thomas is ?
    Posted by RMiller87

Chris Mason

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Burins ARE trying to trade Tim Thomas : Who would you have in mind that is as good as Thomas is ?
    Posted by RMiller87

There aren't any on the list that I would be happy with as a "backup".  If Rask stinks, the other goalie is going to have to carry the load.  If the other goalie is Ray Emery or Dan Ellis, I wouldn't be too confident in the team's ability to win more than it loses.

People will point to Craig Anderson or Michael Leighton, but the odds of finding someone on the list to replicate their performances are far too poor for me to wish the B's brass would wager a season on it in order to save cap space.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Burins ARE trying to trade Tim Thomas : Chris Mason
    Posted by MontrealBrewin

Mason's coming off of a $3m/yr contract, and will probably get a raise.  That doesn't really save very much.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Trading TT is a gamble but probably one they feel they need to take with an offense-challenged roster and being up against the salary cap.

Having a great goalie tandem is a rare luxury that most teams can't afford with the salary cap in place.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This wouldn't be a sophomore slump, it would be more like a senior slump as this is his fourth year in professional hockey (North American). While its always a minor worry that a goaltender will break down, I'll remind everyone that Thomas kind of broke down last year.  It happens, but you can't have 5 mill in cap room sitting on the bench looking miserable. Bring in a guy that can play 25 games, and the Bs will be better off
    Posted by pbergeron37

That's a very intersting point that you're repeating that someone made earlier.  It just doesn't ring true, unfortunately.  "Sophomore slump" refers to a player's second year in the big leagues, not a player's second year as a pro.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MontrealBrewin. Show MontrealBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Burins ARE trying to trade Tim Thomas : Mason's coming off of a $3m/yr contract, and will probably get a raise.  That doesn't really save very much.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

He's not getting a raise from St Louis now that they have Halak.

Even Leighton would be a suitable backup. There are more than enough bodies to fill in the spot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

In Response to Re: Burins ARE trying to trade Tim Thomas : Mason's coming off of a $3m/yr contract, and will probably get a raise.  That doesn't really save very much.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Didn't you suggest Alex Auld in an earlier thread somewhere?  He's 28 years old and made $1M last year.  I think he'd be a good solution if indeed TT is traded.  The Bruins will need someone dependable to back up Rask and keep pushing him to reach his potential. 

If Thomas goes, do I part with my game-used stick I won at auction - the terry cloth grip was still sticky when I picked it up.

Also, most of these posts and threads fascinate me and I learn a great deal from many of them - much better than these boards used to be, in my opinion. 

Cheers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from habssuck09. Show habssuck09's posts

If Rask has a Sophomore slump I will be shocked...he moves like no other goalie I have ever seen...he is a winner and was the MVP for his euopean team that had a deep playoff run because of Rask...they wouldn't of even made playoffs with out him

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

I suspect that the Flyers and the Lightning are the teams that most likely require the services of Tim Thomas in goal...

Don't like the idea of trading him within the Conference though, and really don't like the idea of having Ray Emery as the Bruins' backup either...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Burins ARE trying to trade Tim Thomas : Didn't you suggest Alex Auld in an earlier thread somewhere?  He's 28 years old and made $1M last year.  I think he'd be a good solution if indeed TT is traded.  The Bruins will need someone dependable to back up Rask and keep pushing him to reach his potential.  If Thomas goes, do I part with my game-used stick I won at auction - the terry cloth grip was still sticky when I picked it up. Also, most of these posts and threads fascinate me and I learn a great deal from many of them - much better than these boards used to be, in my opinion.  Cheers.
    Posted by huscroft28

Totally dig your name!

I had suggested that Auld was a decent #2 goaltender.  I wouldn't be happy if he was the B's starter, however.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Burins ARE trying to trade Tim Thomas : He's not getting a raise from St Louis now that they have Halak. Even Leighton would be a suitable backup. There are more than enough bodies to fill in the spot.
    Posted by MontrealBrewin

Didn't say he was getting a raise from St. Louis.  Said he was probably getting a raise.  Many teams need a better #1 goalie.  They'll pay him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

My point (and the guy that said it earlier, was me by the way) was that Tuukka isn't like Price (12 AHL games) or Mason (3 AHL games). Tuukka (102 AHL games) has been brought up in the minors like a pitcher in baseball. They took their time with him, gave him a taste of the NHL on occasion, but waited until he was ready. Contrary to what you believe, NAS, I'm not an idiot, I know what the sophomore slump is, my point was to show that it really doesn't apply to tuukka as it has applied to other NHL players in the past. If you are going to compare tuukka to a goalie, compare him to Jimmy Howard (186 AHL games). Is it possible that either of these two will have a Mason like season? sure, but their career paths are so incredibly different that comparing the two is asinine.
    Posted by pbergeron37

Not to be picky, but NAS was actually correct in his definition of what a sophomore slump is.

How can we compare Rask next season to Jimmy Howard when Howard has only had a single season as the Wings' starter ?

Howard could have a sophomore slump next season just like Price and Mason previously did as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Burins ARE trying to trade Tim Thomas : Not to be picky, but NAS was actually correct in his definition of what a sophomore slump is.
    Posted by RMiller87

Apparently, the sophomore slump consisted of the first two years of pro hockey, so it would have been Rask's second year in Providence.  When it was pointed out that Rask had played two years of pro hockey in Finland, the sophomore slump then only pertained to a players first two years of North American hockey.

Wouldn't it be great if we could change the meaning of terms to fit our arguments?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

In Response to Re: Burins ARE trying to trade Tim Thomas : Totally dig your name! I had suggested that Auld was a decent #2 goaltender.  I wouldn't be happy if he was the B's starter, however.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I agree - I think Rask is the starter and we need a solid #2 to push Rask to greater things.

Jamie Huscroft is my favorite.  He was a bruiser on a very lean team, toughness-wise - stood up to all comers and I always appreciate that in anyone.

Cheers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Burins ARE trying to trade Tim Thomas : Apparently, the sophomore slump consisted of the first two years of pro hockey, so it would have been Rask's second year in Providence.  When it was pointed out that Rask had played two years of pro hockey in Finland, the sophomore slump then only pertained to a players first two years of North American hockey. Wouldn't it be great if we could change the meaning of terms to fit our arguments?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Sounded a bit like spin doctoring to me.

More AHL games prevents poor performances at the NHL level ?

That's news to me.

In that case, we should bring in a few career AHLers to the Black and Gold next season because they should be superstars in the NHL (or so, I have been told.)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

My point (and the guy that said it earlier, was me by the way) was that Tuukka isn't like Price (12 AHL games) or Mason (3 AHL games). Tuukka (102 AHL games) has been brought up in the minors like a pitcher in baseball. They took their time with him, gave him a taste of the NHL on occasion, but waited until he was ready. Contrary to what you believe, NAS, I'm not an idiot, I know what the sophomore slump is, my point was to show that it really doesn't apply to tuukka as it has applied to other NHL players in the past. If you are going to compare tuukka to a goalie, compare him to Jimmy Howard (186 AHL games). Is it possible that either of these two will have a Mason like season? sure, but their career paths are so incredibly different that comparing the two is asinine.
    Posted by pbergeron37

Sophomore slump is not in anyway associated with players having only played 2 seasons, I have seen you argue this before, while your point may be valid in that, rask can carry a  starters load, (I think he started something like 55g in provi his last year plus play offs??)  there is a lot more involved to the soph jinx then just that.. As a rookie you are earning your way, if you come in to your second year feeling entitled your play may suffer. I would argue if the bruins trade thomas rask play will certainly suffer as he will not feel like he has to win the starting job.
    Also a big factor that you forget is the more players see you the more they are apt to adapt, Rask looked more beatable as the season went on, showed weaknesses on his right side etc. A full year in the NHL, and if he is coming in as the starter teams will be studying tape on him next year alot more then they were this year..