Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosfan581. Show bosfan581's posts

Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan?

He was a huge threat for our opponents in the playoffs and he was amazing with us for the half a year we had him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan?

I agree...he seemed to have created some chemistry with Krejci in the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosfan581. Show bosfan581's posts

and he's cheap.  he wont ask for more than a million a year for a contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBRUINS. Show StanleyCuptotheBRUINS's posts

because we have only $5.7MM for Mark Stuart, Blake Wheeler, Tyler Seguin, Campbell ....not much left for Satan...unless we trade TT for a draft pick ....

Stanley cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013 (only if Blakie stays)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan?:
    He was a huge threat for our opponents in the playoffs and he was amazing with us for the half a year we had him.
    Posted by bosfan581

January:  12 games, 2 goals

February:  6 games, 1 goal

March:  14 games, 3 goals

April:  6 games, 3 goals.

Lots of adjectives I can think of for those stats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

With the cap now at $59.4M, the B's have 18 players currently under contract/NHL roster at $55.46M. Add in Seguin's $3.75M cap hit and about 900K-1M or so for Campbell and the B's will have 20 players at $60.21M, according to NHLSCAP.com. People seem to forget that it's not ILLEGAL to go over the cap. Heck, the B's went over it by about 2-2.5M last year. Signing both Wheeler and Stuart could prove to be a difficult task, especially given our cap position and the fact that you don't want to go over the cap a decent amount (assuming that no one is moved, IE: Thomas, Hunwick, etc.). Even without Wheeler I still have no doubt that the offense will be improved over last year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan?:
    With the cap now at $59.4M, the B's have 18 players currently under contract/NHL roster at $55.46M. Add in Seguin's $3.75M cap hit and about 900K-1M or so for Campbell and the B's will have 20 players at $60.21M, according to NHLSCAP.com. People seem to forget that it's not ILLEGAL to go over the cap. Heck, the B's went over it by about 2-2.5M last year. Signing both Wheeler and Stuart could prove to be a difficult task, especially given our cap position and the fact that you don't want to go over the cap a decent amount (assuming that no one is moved, IE: Thomas, Hunwick, etc.). Even without Wheeler I still have no doubt that the offense will be improved over last year.
    Posted by Hockguy0818

The offense will be better this year by default.  Last season, some players were returning from major injuries, other key players missed significant time.  That won't be the case to start the season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosfan581. Show bosfan581's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan?:
    In Response to Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : January:  12 games, 2 goals February:  6 games, 1 goal March:  14 games, 3 goals April:  6 games, 3 goals. Lots of adjectives I can think of for those stats.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

and... 5 goals, 5 assists with a plus/minus of +4 in the playoffs.  Yeah your right, we dont need him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : and... 5 goals, 5 assists with a plus/minus of +4 in the playoffs.  Yeah your right, we dont need him.
    Posted by bosfan581

Great.  He had five goals and five assists in 13 playoff games.

Games 1-3 vs. Buffalo:  zero goals, one assist, +1

Games 4-7 vs. Philly:  zero goals, zero assists, -1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Are those Bergeron's stats ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Biggest reason is he won't sign for a box of Twinkies this year - he doesn't need to be playing to get in shape for the Olympics, and I don't think he's that guy who has to play at any price.  Also, the Bruins have more than 12 forwards either under contract or under tender and expected to make the team.  If they manage to move some guys, there might be a spot for Satan if they wanted him, but several people have made the point that they'd rather see rooks play.  So - there's two good reasons above and beyond the limits of Satan and his contract demands.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : Great.  He had five goals and five assists in 13 playoff games. Games 1-3 vs. Buffalo:  zero goals, one assist, +1 Games 4-7 vs. Philly:  zero goals, zero assists, -1
    Posted by Not-A-Shot
    Don't forget he lost DK for games 4-7 against philly. That was the turning point in that series (IMO).
    Still no excuse after being up 3-0, but whatever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

call him again in January if the offense sux

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

In Response to Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : January:  12 games, 2 goals February:  6 games, 1 goal March:  14 games, 3 goals April:  6 games, 3 goals. Lots of adjectives I can think of for those stats.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Scoring at that rate over a full season would have resulted in a tad over 19 goals, which would have put him second on the team. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : Scoring at that rate over a full season would have resulted in a tad over 19 goals, which would have put him second on the team. 
    Posted by felixwas
    Good point!!  
    Another reminder of how bad the offence was last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : Great.  He had five goals and five assists in 13 playoff games. Games 1-3 vs. Buffalo:  zero goals, one assist, +1 Games 4-7 vs. Philly:  zero goals, zero assists, -1
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

AND if folks did not notice,he was lights out in the dreaded shootouts. and while i hate shootouts an extra point is an extra point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Posted by Hockguy0818

Seguin will only be a 900K cap hit. The bonus cushon is in place for this season, so what ever bonuses seguin hits in 2010-2011 will count against the 2011-2012 cap. At th end of 2010-2011, we have a lot of money coming off the books like chara, bergeron, ryder, and sturm to name a few. Albeit PB and ZD will probably get extended but we will still have cap space. So hockeyguy0818, for the 2010-2011 season, seguin will pnly count as 900K towards the cap

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosfan581. Show bosfan581's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot

He still scored when we needed him.  Double OT winner against Buffalo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosfan581. Show bosfan581's posts

call him again in January if the offense sux
    Posted by ocram

Not a bad idea.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Folks:

How someone performs in the shootout is no reason to give them an NHL contract.  How someone performed for a few playoff games is no reason to give them an NHL contract.  Miro Satan is an old NHLer who looked out of place a lot more than he looked in place.  He was mainly invisible for the majority of his time as a Boston Bruin. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : Seguin will only be a 900K cap hit. The bonus cushon is in place for this season, so what ever bonuses seguin hits in 2010-2011 will count against the 2011-2012 cap. At th end of 2010-2011, we have a lot of money coming off the books like chara, bergeron, ryder, and sturm to name a few. Albeit PB and ZD will probably get extended but we will still have cap space. So hockeyguy0818, for the 2010-2011 season, seguin will pnly count as 900K towards the cap
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie

Thanks for clearing that up! Much appreciated it! You are correct, we have $19.75M coming off of Ryder/Chara/Sturm/Bergeron. I too think that Bergy and Z will resign, so you figure we'll have roughly $8M+ left over from resigning them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Between the ECHL, AHL and NHL the Bruins can only have 50 players under contract. I don't know how many they have but that could be one reason, besides the cap crunch, they don't want to go after any UFA's at this time. They likely want to try and get their own players re-signed first. Besides, they lost a lot of flexibility with him in regards to his contract because he's now 35.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Folks: How someone performs in the shootout is no reason to give them an NHL contract.  How someone performed for a few playoff games is no reason to give them an NHL contract.  Miro Satan is an old NHLer who looked out of place a lot more than he looked in place.  He was mainly invisible for the majority of his time as a Boston Bruin. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

this discussion will keep goin round in circles. yeah ,he's older,but was more a positive than negative. if he's cheap,you bring him back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosfan581. Show bosfan581's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : Scoring at that rate over a full season would have resulted in a tad over 19 goals, which would have put him second on the team. 
    Posted by felixwas

19 goals would work for us.  Since our leading scorer, Marco Sturm only scored 22 last season then I would want those 19 goals unless Nathan Horton steps it up!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : this discussion will keep goin round in circles. yeah ,he's older,but was more a positive than negative. if he's cheap,you bring him back.
    Posted by jerrynewyork

Lucic-Savard-Horton

Wheeler-Krejci-Ryder

Seguin-Bergeron-Recchi

Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Any place in particular you'd like him to play?

Sections
Shortcuts