Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan?

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan?:
    Folks: How someone performs in the shootout is no reason to give them an NHL contract.  How someone performed for a few playoff games is no reason to give them an NHL contract.  Miro Satan is an old NHLer who looked out of place a lot more than he looked in place.  He was mainly invisible for the majority of his time as a Boston Bruin. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Why did Shawn Thornton get a contract?  How somebody fights is no reason to give them a contract. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan?:
    Folks: How someone performs in the shootout is no reason to give them an NHL contract.  How someone performed for a few playoff games is no reason to give them an NHL contract.  Miro Satan is an old NHLer who looked out of place a lot more than he looked in place.  He was mainly invisible for the majority of his time as a Boston Bruin. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I agree.Satan had a good run for awhile but it's certainly no guarantee he can do it again especially over the long haul.He compliments skilled players very well but I think he is replaceable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : Why did Shawn Thornton get a contract?  How somebody fights is no reason to give them a contract. 
    Posted by scooter244

If Shawn Thornton is not fighting, he is completely useless. There was no need for his contract

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

I would give him a contract if the numbers fit

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : Why did Shawn Thornton get a contract?  How somebody fights is no reason to give them a contract. 
    Posted by scooter244

Explain Derek Boogaard's tenure in the NHL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco1001. Show marco1001's posts

who knows if the offense stinks like last year , then who knows pc will try to sign him again , i 'll go out on a limb and say he will be available.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Shawn thornton was a must sign. He has never proven to be a liability on the ice and he brings an element of toughness the bruins are starving for. 

He's not like big george in montreal (was), this guy can actually play the game.

6-10 minutes a night.

I for one am very happy this got done (for peanuts by the way).

If not him, who would fill this role.

Sorry HG1 off topic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosfan581. Show bosfan581's posts

Between the ECHL, AHL and NHL the Bruins can only have 50 players under contract. I don't know how many they have but that could be one reason, besides the cap crunch, they don't want to go after any UFA's at this time. They likely want to try and get their own players re-signed first. Besides, they lost a lot of flexibility with him in regards to his contract because he's now 35.
    Posted by BruWingFan

Recchi is 42.  I dont see why not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosfan581. Show bosfan581's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : Lucic-Savard-Horton Wheeler-Krejci-Ryder Seguin-Bergeron-Recchi Paille-Campbell-Thornton Any place in particular you'd like him to play?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Finally someone who has a good lineup that may actually happen next year.  And i guess your right about Satan, not alot of room.  But he did fit very well with Krejci.  But I do like your take on next years lines.  What about D?

Chara-Boychuk
    Seindenberg-Stuart
    Hunwick-Ference
    ^?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : Explain Derek Boogaard's tenure in the NHL.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I can't. My best shot is that he plays for a non-contending team.  If I may return to a previous debate, the one about what is a 4th line, I heard a great quote yesterday attributed to Mike Richards.  When asked what was the difference between the two teams in the final.  He said "they had 4 lines we had 3".  Depth wins in today's NHL.  If you want to win the cup, you can't have semi-useless players on any line.  Derek Boogaard and Shawn Thornton fit that description.  So does Satan, to return to the present topic.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

In Response to Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan?:
    and he was amazing with us for the half a year we had him.
    Posted by bosfan581

Not sure this part should actually be included.  I felt he was hardly noticeable during the regular season.  He looked lazy and didn't seem to care.  He picked it up during the postseason, maybe he found his stride after sitting on his couch for the first half...amazing, sorry, have to disagree.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : Not sure this part should actually be included.  I felt he was hardly noticeable during the regular season.  He looked lazy and didn't seem to care.  He picked it up during the postseason, maybe he found his stride after sitting on his couch for the first half...amazing, sorry, have to disagree.
    Posted by Nolakanookie

Ya, agree 100%.  It was the Olympics that lit a mini fire under his but, but befrore that, nothing. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : I can't. My best shot is that he plays for a non-contending team.  If I may return to a previous debate, the one about what is a 4th line, I heard a great quote yesterday attributed to Mike Richards.  When asked what was the difference between the two teams in the final.  He said "they had 4 lines we had 3".  Depth wins in today's NHL.  If you want to win the cup, you can't have semi-useless players on any line.  Derek Boogaard and Shawn Thornton fit that description.  So does Satan, to return to the present topic.   
    Posted by scooter244

But Scooter, I thought guys don't get paid to fight.  Boogie has two career NHL goals.  At 6'8, do you think he gets paid for his stellar defense?

As for your statements "If you want to win the cup, you can't have semi-useless players on any line" and "Depth wins in today's NHL."  Depth has always won in the NHL.  There is no need for the B's to attempt to play the fourth line more than five minutes a game.  The fourth line should be a hard hitting crew that is defensively responsible.  Nothing more, nothing less.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : But Scooter, I thought guys don't get paid to fight.  Boogie has two career NHL goals.  At 6'8, do you think he gets paid for his stellar defense? As for your statements "If you want to win the cup, you can't have semi-useless players on any line" and "Depth wins in today's NHL."  Depth has always won in the NHL.  There is no need for the B's to attempt to play the fourth line more than five minutes a game.  The fourth line should be a hard hitting crew that is defensively responsible.  Nothing more, nothing less.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Too many dumb comments to respond to in one post.  I'll pick the highlight. 
    Archaic thinking.  I think you should be GM of an expansion team.  Your nickname could double as the teams name because with your philosophy they'd have no chance.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : Too many dumb comments to respond to in one post.  I'll pick the highlight.  Archaic thinking.  I think you should be GM of an expansion team.  Your nickname could double as the teams name because with your philosophy they'd have no chance.  
    Posted by scooter244

Why don't you tell us more about the fact that guys don't get paid solely to fight?  I'd like to hear what skills Jody Shelley is going to bring to the Flyers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : Why don't you tell us more about the fact that guys don't get paid solely to fight?  I'd like to hear what skills Jody Shelley is going to bring to the Flyers.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

If I must explain...
    Giving somebody a contract to fight is no different than say, paying somebody because they score a few playoff goals or to be good in a shoot-out (no reason to give them a contract...sound familiar?).  They bring a limited skill set to the team. Shawn Thornton takes up space during the regular season to entertain Neanderthal's that have limited hockey knowledge.  Unless there are a rash of injuries he's in the press box come playoff time.  These guys do get contracts, the point is they shouldn't, any more than guys that can't play defense or don't score enough. Just like Satan shouldn't get a contract, but he likely will from somebody. 
    If we want to discuss there not being enough good hockey players for the number of NHL roster spots, we should start a new thread.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mebackagin. Show mebackagin's posts

unless the guy's name Bobby Orr or Mario you've got to drop the ole timers off and make room for the younguns!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm more anti-goon than anyone.  I just wanted to point out that players do get contracts for how they fight.

If the NHL needs staged fights to draw ratings and sell tickets, there is a fundamental flaw with the marketing department.  I understand it in the minor leagues, but the #1 league in the world shouldn't need it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I'm more anti-goon than anyone.  I just wanted to point out that players do get contracts for how they fight. If the NHL needs staged fights to draw ratings and sell tickets, there is a fundamental flaw with the marketing department.  I understand it in the minor leagues, but the #1 league in the world shouldn't need it.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I agree 100%.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbruin4. Show mrbruin4's posts

2 reasons   SOFT  AND OLD

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shortpops. Show shortpops's posts

Miroslav Satan performed very well in the playoffs producing 5 of the 31 goals that Boston scored. He did reasonably well in the short time he played in the regular season. But someone in management is dogged with the prior opinion of him that he is too much of a defensive liability. Thus he has not been signed to date and may very well not be as Boston continues to delude themselves with the under performing Michael Ryder,Blake Wheeler and Marco Sturm who appear to have either peaked in their careers or have lost  heart for the sport of hockey. These 3 players need to either produce as per past performances or be replaced with more meaningfull players such as Satan showed himself to be  while he wore the black and gold.   Peter Chiarelli packed it in far too early and should have looked for alternative players for these 3 who if they play next season like they did this past year will doom the Bruins to another fair to middling  result.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Miroslav Satan performed very well in the playoffs producing 5 of the 31 goals that Boston scored. He did reasonably well in the short time he played in the regular season. But someone in management is dogged with the prior opinion of him that he is too much of a defensive liability. Thus he has not been signed to date and may very well not be as Boston continues to delude themselves with the under performing Michael Ryder,Blake Wheeler and Marco Sturm who appear to have either peaked in their careers or have lost  heart for the sport of hockey. These 3 players need to either produce as per past performances or be replaced with more meaningfull players such as Satan showed himself to be  while he wore the black and gold.   Peter Chiarelli packed it in far too early and should have looked for alternative players for these 3 who if they play next season like they did this past year will doom the Bruins to another fair to middling  result.
    Posted by shortpops

How did Sturm sneak onto that list?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Satan's value lies in his goalscoring. His 14.1% career shooting is better than everyone on the roster with the exception of Nathan Horton (14.8%).

As NAS said I don't think there's any room for him on the roster. He was a good stop gap solution but I doubt he'll be back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

In Response to Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan?:

Yeah, cause of this!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone tell me why the Bruins are not resigning Miroslav Satan? : How did Sturm sneak onto that list?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Sturm didn't "sneak" onto the list. He got there by being the 48th highest scoring LW in the league, while being paid as the 26th highest.