Cap space / Chara extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingnut11. Show Wingnut11's posts

Cap space / Chara extension

What would happen to Chara's 7.5mil cap hit THIS year if he were extended for say, 4yr/20mil (just an example)?
    Would his cap hit this year go down or would it only affect next year and the remaining years?
    I only ask because if if something like this were to happen, and it would affect THIS years cap number, then his hit would go down to 5.5mil, saving 2 mil off the cap number which would solve that problem.
    I suppose the same could be said for Bergeron as well if he's extended.

Anyone know the answer to this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Cap space / Chara extension

In Response to Cap space / Chara extension:
    What would happen to Chara's 7.5mil cap hit THIS year if he were extended for say, 4yr/20mil (just an example)? Would his cap hit this year go down or would it only affect next year and the remaining years? I only ask because if if something like this were to happen, and it would affect THIS years cap number, then his hit would go down to 5.5mil, saving 2 mil off the cap number which would solve that problem. I suppose the same could be said for Bergeron as well if he's extended. Anyone know the answer to this?
    Posted by Wingnut11

No contract can be changed.  If they extend him, it will start after the current deal ends.

It's the Keith Tkachuk rule in the new CBA.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In Response to Cap space / Chara extension:
    What would happen to Chara's 7.5mil cap hit THIS year if he were extended for say, 4yr/20mil (just an example)? Would his cap hit this year go down or would it only affect next year and the remaining years? I only ask because if if something like this were to happen, and it would affect THIS years cap number, then his hit would go down to 5.5mil, saving 2 mil off the cap number which would solve that problem. I suppose the same could be said for Bergeron as well if he's extended. Anyone know the answer to this?
    Posted by Wingnut11

His cap hit is locked in for this year.  Nothing will affect that excluding a buyout or a Long term injury.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulyboy. Show paulyboy's posts

Realizing the contract does not change, does the overall cap hit change if more years are added to average out?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulyboy. Show paulyboy's posts

thanks

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Cap space / Chara extension:
    Realizing the contract does not change, does the overall cap hit change if more years are added to average out?
    Posted by paulyboy

No.  Unless there is a buyout, the terms of the deal and the cap hit are concrete.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

I was thinking 3yr/18 million no higher than that? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Chara will sign the following extension or he will go to market and get something very similar: 7 yrs, $35M ($8M, $8M, $7M, $7M, $3M, $1M, $1M) for a $5M cap hit.  Here's my thinking.  Chara is 33.  This extension is his last chance to sign a long-term deal before hitting 35+ status.  Seven years takes him to 41 yrs old, and given that he isn't going to get smaller, is a freak about conditioning, has no history of catastrophic injuries,  he could well play it out.  He'll make $7M as a 37yr-old but drop to $3M at 38 - a pretty fair risk/reward at a time when even the most durable stars start to wear down.  The basics of that deal should hold up even in negotiations with a player who has a rep for squeezing his pennies - those salary dollars put him on par with Duncan Keith for the next two years, and slightly below Keith for the next two.  It's more than Lidstrom, and it's more than Pronger on average over the first four years (almost identical total dollars after 5 years, then about $1M more over 7).  All three of those guys have won Cups and don't have an 0/5 game 7 record. 

The only way he doesn't accept a deal very much like this is if he wants to go to market to ensure he gets as much as possible (and if he does, this may still be the best offer), or if he thinks he'll still be a top-10 defenseman in the NHL at 38-41, or if ego dictates he be the highest paid defenseman.  The end of the CBA might play in as well - he may want $10 the first year, then 8, then 6 and 6 so that he's maxing his payout before a potential work stoppage.

So - a deal that brings Chara back at a $5M cap hit.  Interested? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I wish to see no contracts that extend any player into his late 30s.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingnut11. Show Wingnut11's posts

I wish to see no contracts that extend any player into his late 30s.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Nor do I.
    I know I will get hammered on this one, but while I think Chara is a very, very good d-man, I don't think it is worth it for THIS team. All these big salaries are going to kill this team before long. I think he has the most trade value at this time and would rather see him traded so we can get everyone else on board ($$$ wise) as well as picking up other "pieces".

Hypothetically, what do you think his value is?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

With the exception of drew doughty, he is the best all around d man in the league...lock him up
    Posted by pbergeron37

Duncan Keith and Chris Pronger, among others, might have a bone to pick with this statement.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

With the exception of drew doughty, he is the best all around d man in the league...lock him up
    Posted by pbergeron37

yeah, I say lock him up. The difference between Pronger and Chara is nominal. both slow, extremely physical/dominant, great shots on the powerplay.

I do think Chara will last longer considering he keep himself in amazing shape

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I am not , nor have ever been a strong supporter of Chara. He is good , but in my view his game interferes with the growth and capabilities of the rest of the Bruins defense, and, the type of players the B's could attract. He is obviously the cornerstone of CJ's shut down system, but I would rather see a Chicago style that moves the puck better than the B's "around-the-boards" fall back. I'm of the opinion that the Bruins could have a more energized offense if the D was faster, better on the first pass and breakout. Unfortunately for me, CJ is in charge and Chara's style will remain.