CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE

The present CBA Restricted free agent compensation stipulates:

-a signing of over $5,000,000 requires 4 First round draft choices as comp.

- a signing of $4million to $5million requires 2 First, a Second and a Third.

This is in the CBA page 38. We got ripped off.

Chiarelli should have forced Burke to shoot his load with an offer sheet. We would have been much better off. Chiarelli blinked.

We can kiss the cup good-bye, my fellow Bruins fans. We'll have to wait until these two 1st rounders from Toronto develop into something...I'm thinking maybe 2015-16

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddle. Show puddle's posts

Re: CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE

Those first roudners will be traded by then for more picks...and so on... and so on ...and so on......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Booyah22. Show Booyah22's posts

I have been a lifelong Bruins fan.  Met many of the past and present Bruins.  Watched in heartbreak as they lost in the finals in 88 and 90 as a young boy.  Watched them morph into a disaster by the late 90's.  Then the Thornton era...hope.  Then the team was ripped apart again.  Then Kessel came along.  Watching him play...a young kid morphing into a true superstar right before our eyes.  And PC trades him away right when he's on the brink of greatness.  I just threw out everything I owned with a Bruins logo on it.  I am done with them.  They will never win anything.  You don't trade a 21 year old who will have multiple 50 goal seasons.  Mark my words they will REGRET trading Kessel for many, many, many years to come.  I honest to god hate the Bruins organization more than I hate the Yankees now!  All of my Bruins fandom has turned to hatred.  Here we go Maple Leafs, Here we go!  I can't wait to wear my Kessel Leafs jersey to the Garden when the Leafs are shitstomping them this year.

- New Maple Leaf fan

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skijumper. Show skijumper's posts

Good point. I was wondering the same thing. Why would the Bruins not hold out longer. Burke clearly wanted to get Kessel immediatly so why not have him sign the offer sheet. Also, I don't like the idea of having Kessel within the division. Just seems like a bad idea to me. Let's just hope the B's will make use of those draft picks. Maybe if Toronto self destructs this year the draft pick will end up very high. The draft picks could also be used to make a needed aquisition during the season. Let's see how this plays out down the road.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Chiarelli should have known that Burke could not sign him for less than $4million -  Peter should have known that the compesation required was a  2 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd.

He then should have held out for more - Nazem Kadri along with the picks.

That is still less than the 4 1st rounders that Burke would have had to hand over since he threw $5.4million per at Kessel.

We got ripped off. I don't like it. Peter needs to develop some nerves of steel.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TommyD603. Show TommyD603's posts

And what if Burke realized he wasn't going to get Kessel to sign an offer sheet for less than $5mil and decided not to do it because he didn't want to part with 4 1st rounders, so he offered this comprimise instead? And what if that was the best package Chiarelli could get after talking to the other teams?
    People forget that things don't always work out perfect, and you don't always get EVERYTHING.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

If I know you must give me 2 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd because you must sign him for at least $4million...why would I accept 2 1st and a 2nd. I want more!!!  This is poker, my friend, and I don't have to bluff.

Burke was the one behind the eight ball, all the way. Chiarelli let him weasel out of it.

All Chiarelli had to do was wait. The table was slanted in his favour. If Kessel doesn't sign by Dec. 1, or signs and offer sheet, he can't play in the NHL for the rest of this season, and Boston still retain his rights.

We could have and should have had more coming back our way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

You geniuses should all send Chiarelli your phone numbers so he can consult you before making any more moves. With your input, the Cup will never leave Boston.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinsSuck09. Show BostonBruinsSuck09's posts

Boston Never had a chance of winning the Cup anyways, even if they manage to keep Kessel.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lafleur1979. Show Lafleur1979's posts

Kessel is young and has potential but let's keep things in perspective: he had ONE very good year during the B's best year in memory. Team success helped his scoring and his +/-. He may improve on his stats in the future but more likely he will not, especially not as a Leaf. As for the Bruins, their continued success will depend much more on depth, a cohesive system and team chemistry than on a single prima dona. Before you say that Burke hoodwinked Chiarelli remember that Chiarelli has been able to gauge all aspects of Phil Kessel much more closely than any other GM, Burke included. The way this slow motion divorce happened, I'm sure Chiarelli's must be convinced that Kessel would not bring the B's to the cup. Otherwise he could have used other options to keep him or to get a bit more in the deal. I would not second guess someone who has otherwise been a good GM. Each GM has his own motives and both can be right in this deal. Chiarelli can't risk team system and team chemistry and he may be able to fine tune his team at the trade deadline according to his exact needs using the picks as bait. Burke on the other hand has enough money to play the lotery and has nothing to lose. Whatever he does he cannot make his team worse.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

In Response to CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE:
    [QUOTE]The present CBA Restricted free agent compensation stipulates:  -a signing of over $5,000,000 requires 4 First round draft choices as comp.  - a signing of $4million to $5million requires 2 First, a Second and a Third. This is in the CBA page 38. We got ripped off. Chiarelli should have forced Burke to shoot his load with an offer sheet. We would have been much better off. Chiarelli blinked. We can kiss the cup good-bye, my fellow Bruins fans. We'll have to wait until these two 1st rounders from Toronto develop into something...I'm thinking maybe 2015-16
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

the compensation is here : First-round, second-round and third-round choice

OFFER                                               COMPENSATION

$994,433 or below                            None
    Over $994,433 to $1,506,716           Third-round choice
    Over $1,506,716 to $3,013,434        Second-round choice
    Over $3,013,434 to $4,520,150        First-round and third-round choice
    Over $4,520,150 to $6,026,867        First-round, second-round and third-round choice
    Over $6,026,867 to $7,533,584        Two first-round choices, one second- and one third-round choice
    Over $7,533,584                                Four first-round choices

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reggie-Dunlop. Show Reggie-Dunlop's posts

Get your facts straight.  You're looking at some old RFA compensation ('06 or '07).  This is straight of the NHL's site:  http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=34760

Burke seems a bit foolish in this deal.  Most people felt Chiarelli would not match if Kessel signed an offer sheet above $4.52M, thus gaining a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick.  Had Burke offered the $5.4M for five years, odds are Chiarelli would not have matched and taken that package of picks.  Via this trade, he managed to turn a 3rd rounder into a 1st rounder.  He didn't value Kessel as much as some of us, but at least he did better than the RFA compensation.

Personally, I'd have liked to seen them trade Ryder to keep Kessel.  Although I like Ryder, it's hard to give up a guy that should have scored 40 goals as a 21-year-old (assuming the mono cost him 4 goals).  So perhaps this is lose-lose for both GMs.  Not something that happens very often, yet something that happened twice in the past two weeks (Al Davis and Bill Belichick managed this two weeks ago). 

In Response to CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE:
    [QUOTE]The present CBA Restricted free agent compensation stipulates:  -a signing of over $5,000,000 requires 4 First round draft choices as comp.  - a signing of $4million to $5million requires 2 First, a Second and a Third. This is in the CBA page 38. We got ripped off. Chiarelli should have forced Burke to shoot his load with an offer sheet. We would have been much better off. Chiarelli blinked. We can kiss the cup good-bye, my fellow Bruins fans. We'll have to wait until these two 1st rounders from Toronto develop into something...I'm thinking maybe 2015-16
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Costa. Show Costa's posts

guys cmon do some homework....4 1st round picks for a signing of a 5m$ salary was the compensation when the CBA started and the cap was 39M$

4 1st rnd picks with this years cap figure is over 7m$

an offer sheet at this contract is worth a 1st 2nd and 3rd

i cant believe most of you think chiarelli would not know this lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE:
    [QUOTE]...why would I accept 2 1st and a 2nd. I want more!!!  This is poker, my friend, and I don't have to bluff. Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

We got more "So you would have blinked!" Bs get a first and second in 2010 and another first in 2011. Who blinked!? What are you missing Wheatboy!?

Over $4,520,150 to $6,026,867 First-round, second-round and third-round choice is what the Bruins would have gotten if Kessel signed the offer sheet! If Burke offered less there were other teams that would have offered more.

The Leafs are not going to make the playoffs this year or next wake up join the fray! Who is going to feed Kessel in December!? No one PC knows this!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhwynter. Show nhwynter's posts

Guys - Burke had the Bruins in a corner.  If you think otherwise, you are fooling yourselves.  Burke could have signed Kessel for under 4 million and the Bruins wouldn't have been able to match.... Then what? And before people say that Burke couldn't get him for less than $4 million, I guarantee you that he would have.. Kessel clearly did not want to be a part of the Bruins and Chiarelli screwed up by using up most of the cap space... Had Chiarelli left himself 5 million in cap space, he could have threatened Kessel with a match.  With only 1.7 million, Chiarelli had little bargaining power.

Also, Getting 2 firsts and a 2nd, but not the third isn't a bad deal.  Its pure ignorance to think it is..

As for letting Kessel sit for a year, while the Bruins would hold his rights, the NHL is no longer the only league throwing around multi-million dollar contracts.. Kessel could have gone to the KHL..

Chiarelli is beginning to remind me of Sinden.  How many times did Sinden trade away the Bruins 1st round pick while putting together a good, but not great team???

As for Kessel getting 50 goals, I'll believe it when I see it.  Kessel doesn't work hard enough to get there.  Look at Ovechkin and Kovalchuk.. Even Jagr.. They all worked harder than Kessel does..

Kessel will tease the Leafs.. but not much else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

thank the lord someone finally corrected this clown. Basically, instead of a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd we got two 1st and a 2nd

ill take that

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from davincitrout. Show davincitrout's posts

Still think that Kess must've had a few dates with Chiarelli's wife or somethin'... for them to let loose a 21 year old with big potential for picks that won't come to fruition (probably) 'til Timmy retires?
    Anyways, here's hoping Kess scores 60 goals this year but that the B's still retain that magic DESPITE their willingness to bite off their nose to spite their face.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

[QUOTE]Get your facts straight.  You're looking at some old RFA compensation ('06 or '07).  This is straight of the NHL's site:  http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=34760 Burke seems a bit foolish in this deal.  Most people felt Chiarelli would not match if Kessel signed an offer sheet above $4.52M, thus gaining a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick.  Had Burke offered the $5.4M for five years, odds are Chiarelli would not have matched and taken that package of picks.  Via this trade, he managed to turn a 3rd rounder into a 1st rounder.  He didn't value Kessel as much as some of us, but at least he did better than the RFA compensation. Personally, I'd have liked to seen them trade Ryder to keep Kessel.  Although I like Ryder, it's hard to give up a guy that should have scored 40 goals as a 21-year-old (assuming the mono cost him 4 goals).  So perhaps this is lose-lose for both GMs.  Not something that happens very often, yet something that happened twice in the past two weeks (Al Davis and Bill Belichick managed this two weeks ago).  In Response to CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE :
    Posted by Reggie-Dunlop[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickl324. Show rickl324's posts

I glad he's gone. Without a play-making center, kessell won't equal his 2008 goal output. He does have speed, but so do many players. Without the proper line-mates, he'll return to the player that was benched for not plating in both ends of the ice. Burke is building a physical similar to what he won the cup with in Anaheim. Kessel is not, and never will be a Getzlaf.

I tip my hat to your effort to battle set-backs but GOOD RIDDENCE Kessel,take your lousy attitude and disappear in Toronto.

The Bruins do not need you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE :
    Posted by pucman[/QUOTE]

very good post mr dunlop.....it would be interesting if burke did sign Kessel, to see what PC would of done then.....the B,s would be well over the cap & what would have happened then?...im thinking burke let him off easy....i guess PC is lucky he got 2 1st,s....i totally agree with the ryder issue & think this was 1 of PC worst blunders....i like ryder,but when it came down to it was kessel or ryder....im thinking PC should hve been looking ahead a lil,more on this. heres hoping PC learned a lesson & in the future hes looking ahead to whom he has to sign down the road....hope this spanking is not to harsh

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

phil kessel is a great talent & will score goals...the kid is 21 yrs old & still has not reached his peak....imagine if he had some major PP time with the B,s he would of scored 5-10 more goals! im tired of reading the post of him not havein a center or toronto stinks,the kid will put in a min. 35 in a full season   enough kessel bashing!  he did what he had to do & never should have got to this point   lets not be bitter & root hard for what we have here now...its goin to be a fun season

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

I really wished we could have kept Kessel, but  although we have nothing to show for it now, lets not forget the Leafs roster still is marginal at best up front.
    We will end up with 5 picks in the top 60 and the Leafs pick could still be a top 10
    At 5.4 million per year, he would have thrown our salary structure for the upcoming free agents , Lucic,Wheeler, Savard etc out of whack
    The Bruins are still solid and we have a 1.7 million cushion if ever we want to make a move

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from uvguy07. Show uvguy07's posts

I still don't think the dealing is done. I would say that f the Bruins stumble out of the gate, then before Thanksgiving that there will be a body or two headed out of town along with some of these picks for an impact player.

In my opinion Kessel needs to develop into more than a speedy winger who shoots the puck to score 50. The last 50 goal scorer in Boston scored in many different ways. Look at the post lockout years and see who has scored 50+ These players also scored there goals in many different ways. So I do not think that Kessel will get 50+, if he does it will happen once.

The worst part of this trade is him playing in the division, but I am confident that in a one on one battle I'll pick Chara over Kessel 99% of the time!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joken04. Show joken04's posts

They should change there name to The Boston Pirates
    I think they have the same colors too

They will never win with JJ at the top.

Please sell the B's and go buy the Sabers

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MontrealBruin. Show MontrealBruin's posts

Kessel won't net 30+ in Tor with his proposed line.

The B's will still be in the playoffs. Toronto? Not so much.