CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

Re: CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE

In Response to CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE:
    [QUOTE]The present CBA Restricted free agent compensation stipulates:  -a signing of over $5,000,000 requires 4 First round draft choices as comp.  - a signing of $4million to $5million requires 2 First, a Second and a Third. This is in the CBA page 38. We got ripped off. Chiarelli should have forced Burke to shoot his load with an offer sheet. We would have been much better off. Chiarelli blinked. We can kiss the cup good-bye, my fellow Bruins fans. We'll have to wait until these two 1st rounders from Toronto develop into something...I'm thinking maybe 2015-16
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

PC is just an idiot, he is totally incompetent. he has no idea what he is doing. I didnt think guys like that could still exist in nhl.

what a joke of a team, back to bruins hoping and that's it

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

In Response to Re: CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE:
    [QUOTE]Guys - Burke had the Bruins in a corner.  If you think otherwise, you are fooling yourselves.  Burke could have signed Kessel for under 4 million and the Bruins wouldn't have been able to match.... Then what? And before people say that Burke couldn't get him for less than $4 million, I guarantee you that he would have.. Kessel clearly did not want to be a part of the Bruins and Chiarelli screwed up by using up most of the cap space... Had Chiarelli left himself 5 million in cap space, he could have threatened Kessel with a match.  With only 1.7 million, Chiarelli had little bargaining power. Also, Getting 2 firsts and a 2nd, but not the third isn't a bad deal.  Its pure ignorance to think it is.. As for letting Kessel sit for a year, while the Bruins would hold his rights, the NHL is no longer the only league throwing around multi-million dollar contracts.. Kessel could have gone to the KHL.. Chiarelli is beginning to remind me of Sinden.  How many times did Sinden trade away the Bruins 1st round pick while putting together a good, but not great team??? As for Kessel getting 50 goals, I'll believe it when I see it.  Kessel doesn't work hard enough to get there.  Look at Ovechkin and Kovalchuk.. Even Jagr.. They all worked harder than Kessel does.. Kessel will tease the Leafs.. but not much else.
    Posted by nhwynter[/QUOTE]

Chia blew this plain and simple. He held the cards, just does not know how to play them.

Sure Kess was going to sign for under 4M and then fly to the KHL. If he was going to sign for under 4m he would have already done so. The B's would still retain his NHL rights no matter how long he stayed in the KHL, if you really think he would go there, don't think so.
     He won't tease the leafs he will p.us o. us off at Chia more and more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]I have been a lifelong Bruins fan.  Met many of the past and present Bruins.  Watched in heartbreak as they lost in the finals in 88 and 90 as a young boy.  Watched them morph into a disaster by the late 90's.  Then the Thornton era...hope.  Then the team was ripped apart again.  Then Kessel came along.  Watching him play...a young kid morphing into a true superstar right before our eyes.  And PC trades him away right when he's on the brink of greatness.  I just threw out everything I owned with a Bruins logo on it.  I am done with them.  They will never win anything.  You don't trade a 21 year old who will have multiple 50 goal seasons.  Mark my words they will REGRET trading Kessel for many, many, many years to come.  I honest to god hate the Bruins organization more than I hate the Yankees now!  All of my Bruins fandom has turned to hatred.  Here we go Maple Leafs, Here we go!  I can't wait to wear my Kessel Leafs jersey to the Garden when the Leafs are shitstomping them this year. - New Maple Leaf fan
    Posted by Booyah22[/QUOTE]

I am ticked off more than most for this, but I am a diehard and ALL I HAVE TO SAY TO YOU IS YOU WERE NEVER A BRUINS FAN IN THE FIRST PLACE GO CHEER FOR THEF'N HABS!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]And what if Burke realized he wasn't going to get Kessel to sign an offer sheet for less than $5mil and decided not to do it because he didn't want to part with 4 1st rounders, so he offered this comprimise instead? And what if that was the best package Chiarelli could get after talking to the other teams? People forget that things don't always work out perfect, and you don't always get EVERYTHING.
    Posted by TommyD603[/QUOTE]

He did not have to sign him. After 1 Oct he would have got the same nothing as he has now.

He should have signed him a long time ago and this flummox would never have happened. He backed K into a corner saying we do not value you, so K says back I will not sign with you.

This should have been done in June if this was what he was going to do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

"Burke seems a bit foolish in this deal.  Most people felt Chiarelli would not match if Kessel signed an offer sheet above $4.52M, thus gaining a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick.  Had Burke offered the $5.4M for five years, odds are Chiarelli would not have matched and taken that package of picks.  Via this trade, he managed to turn a 3rd rounder into a 1st rounder.  He didn't value Kessel as much as some of us, but at least he did better than the RFA compensation."

Burke overpaid Kessel yes, but RFA compensation or picks do not put us over the top this year, we are stepping back offensively, we may have shored up our D, but you still need to score to win. Picks will not score this year, all they will do is replace Wheeler, Lucic etc. next year when they ask for money that will not fit under the cap. It is a cycle that I don't want to see and the B's have a legitimate shot this year, so I wanted compensation that will help now. ST

"The Leafs are not going to make the playoffs this year or next wake up join the fray! Who is going to feed Kessel in December!? No Know one PC knows this!"

I wouldn't bet the farm on this. Burke will get them into the playoffs. He will get a Ctr for K. Allison could even set him up for 40, Sundin may come back now that they are trying to put a team together, the first time in 15 years.

"Guys - Burke had the Bruins in a corner.  If you think otherwise, you are fooling yourselves.  Burke could have signed Kessel for under 4 million and the Bruins wouldn't have been able to match.... Then what? And before people say that Burke couldn't get him for less than $4 million, I guarantee you that he would have.. Kessel clearly did not want to be a part of the Bruins and Chiarelli screwed up by using up most of the cap space... Had Chiarelli left himself 5 million in cap space, he could have threatened Kessel with a match.  With only 1.7 million, Chiarelli had little bargaining power."

Guarantee-?, you must be K's agent, what a stupid statement. Chia could match at any time with LTI he would not have to do anything to the lineup before 1 Dec or whenever K comes back.

"Also, Getting 2 firsts and a 2nd, but not the third isn't a bad deal.  Its pure ignorance to think it is.. "

Picks will not score this year, all they will do is replace Wheeler, Lucic,Savard etc. next year when they ask for money that will not fit under the cap. It is a cycle that I don't want to see and the B's have a legitimate shot this year, so I wanted compensation that will help now. ST

If he was going to take nothing he should have taken Hanson who is going to be a Wheeller like surprise this year.

TO's coach has already said the next part is to get him a playmaking center, and to up his minutes from the 16-17 in Boston to over 20 and to see full PP time. This seems to be a big diss to CJ's style of coaching, Kess never got the PP time or ice time for a budding superstar.  K will be a goal scorer, not an ultimate hockey player but a goal scorer and I wish he could have been kept.

Please Chia say you have something else up your sleeve. Sturm is not the player to put us over the top to replace K.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Forget this nonsense over draft picks. You're telling me PC couldn't have worked out a deal w/another club to get at least ONE NHL-ready player who can help them NOW, plus a 2nd round pick down the line?

They are essentially the same team as last year without their top goal scorer. AND he's playing now for a team we're directly in competition with throughout the year. Brilliant.

Spin this any way you want. We get draft picks that may or may not pan out 4 years down the road. By then we'll be arguing over whether the Bruins can "afford" to keep the likes of Savard, Lucic, etc. and STILL waiting for that elusive Stanley Cup.

The more things change with this sorry excuse for "management", the more they stay the same.

Prediction: B's finish 5th in the East, out in round 2 if not round 1.

Pathetic. Again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

People who fill the garden this year are suckers.Spread the money out and dont invest too much  in too few people.They dont want a cup,they want a return.This isnt a sport for JJ.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE] ST "The Leafs are not going to make the playoffs this year or next wake up join the fray! Who is going to feed Kessel in December!? No Know one PC knows this!" I wouldn't bet the farm on this. Burke will get them into the playoffs. He will get a Ctr for K. Allison could even set him up for 40, Sundin may come back now that they are trying to put a team together, the first time in 15 years. Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]

Allison could set Kessel up for 40 ? Thank you for reminding me what the Leafs have done in the past 15 years. WOW! Allison hasn't even made the team yet.

Stop puttin whatever it is you've been putting in your Cherrios dude!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dickiebsb. Show dickiebsb's posts

im so sick of reading KESSEL is going to be a superstar, and he was emerging into greatness in front of our eyes. Give me a break. You want superstars?? crosby, datsyuk, thornton, malkin. these guys are superstars. 100 pt. guys with great plus/minus numbers, who play in the defensive zone, play power play, penalty kill, anything the coach asks of them. Kessel plays 1st line RW with an elite playmaking center. He has NO backcheck, cant kill penatlies, which is a JOKE since hes the fastest skater on the bruins, and doesnt give consistent effort everynight. Where were you phil during the carolina series until game 5? Datsyuk, crosby showed up everynight when there teams needed them, you loligagged back to your defensive zone and tried to put pucks through defenders legs like this is pond hockey. Good lukc in toronto with grabovski and stajan on your like instead of lucic and savard. 36 goals this year? i doubt it good luck banging home 25 with those scrubs, atealst you got that contract you want.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dickiebsb. Show dickiebsb's posts

also, people say we should hae got an NHL ready player. HELLO, we DONT HAVE THE CAP SPACE. thats why we got draft picks.  before you come on here and rip chiarelli and everything about the B's, atleast realize that we ahve 1.7 mil in cap space and you cant afford anyone good with that amount.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimKe. Show JimKe's posts

The Bruins do the same thing year after year.  Get rid of your good

players when they demand fair compensation.  Next year, we will be

talking about the departure of Savard.  The Lions will win the Super

Bowl before the Bruins win the Stanley Cup.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]also, people say we should hae got an NHL ready player. HELLO, we DONT HAVE THE CAP SPACE. thats why we got draft picks.  before you come on here and rip chiarelli and everything about the B's, atleast realize that we ahve 1.7 mil in cap space and you cant afford anyone good with that amount.
    Posted by dickiebsb[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah. great. And who exactly are we going to pick up w/that WHOPPING $1.7 M in cap space? Maybe we can entice Hal Gill to come back so he can fall on his rear backwards trying to stop Kessel on the way to the net.

Stop making excuses for PC and this mickey mouse organization. They don't care about winning. They (JJ &Son) care about filling the Garden w/gullible rubes who keep buying into the same pattern of letting the best players go year after year, filling with stop gap tomato cans here and there, rinse and repeat, and no serious chance of winning the Cup.

Kessel is 21. His game is NOT one-way, and any gaps in it will be filled as he gains more experience. Plus the Leafs will probably sneak into the playoffs as the 7th or 8th seed this year and those "terrific" draft picks won't be so terrific.

Fact: 2nd round KO last year WITH Kessel.

What do you really expect this year WITHOUT him?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stourque. Show stourque's posts

The bruins couldn't keep the whole team together because of the salary cap. Kessel knew the situation - the b's wanted him to sign for similar money to Kreji. They are a legitimate stanley cup contender. A 21 year old making 3.75 million isn't too bad, but no, he wanted more money than Savard! Apparently, money is more important to this young man, than winning a stanley cup. I was always a Kessel supporter and I thought he had the POTENTIAL to become a 50 goal scorer, but not yet. You pay a guy for what he's done, not what he's going to do 3 years from now. As this dragged on, it became clear, Kessel is not a team player. I say good riddance, and good luck in TO where you will be under the microscope. Personally, I think he'll fold under the pressure in toronto. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgower18. Show jgower18's posts

If you check the TSN boards the Leaf fans are equally divided on this trade. Many of them also think PK is a one-way player, but some think he's going to put them over the top. If it was such a steal for Toronto, most Leaf fans don't think so.
    What I don't understand about the posters here is if you think PC is such an idiot, how was he going to "trick" some team into taking Ryder or Kobasew to make room for PK? If their contracts were so bad why would any other team want them?
    This isn't like the old days when teams could spend whatever they wanted, back then I agreed with the Bruins are cheap assessment. Now it's a matter of deciding on the value of the player, both ways in regards to playing performance and trade value. Are the Bruins better off trading Ryder for a 3rd, signing PK and not having money for Lucic, Wheeler, or Savard next year? I don't think so. They got a haul for a player with one proven season. They still have 3 lines that can score, now it's up to them to go out and do it.
    Go Bs

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE : Allison could set Kessel up for 40 ? Thank you for reminding me what the Leafs have done in the past 15 years. WOW! Allison hasn't even made the team yet. Stop puttin whatever it is you've been putting in your Cherrios dude!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

He may not score 40 this year ( injury) but he will the next, and do not doubt that Burke will get him a center.  Allsion will make the team do not dispute it, he is a playmaking ctr with good faceoff ability and will be used on the PP. The leafs are short on all of the above, but will fill the gaps.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

I hope some of you guys dont live too close to a bridge. . . (don't jump . . .on second thought - jump and get out of the way!) I have watched lots of good players jump ship for the $$ where they could have stuck around to win. A guy that just returned to Edmonton comes to mind.What has he won since he left there the first time-Nothing-has lots of $$ though.Kessel could have signed for a little more than Krejci money and kept this team ready for the next step.At a ripe old age of 24 he could have cashed in with the "Big Pay Day" and gone somewhere else if the B's didn't look like winners or hadn't won already.If need be Chia could send a guy to the minors to clear cap space if he thought it was worth it. I think he would have if Kess' demands were more reasonable.It wouldn't take much for the B's to become irrelevant in Boston again and keeping Kessel @ 5++million to then lose Savard or Lucic would be a foolish Hockey and P.R. move.
    I love Phil but. . . .

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GillesGilbert. Show GillesGilbert's posts

[QUOTE]At 5.4 million per year, he would have thrown our salary structure for the upcoming free agents , Lucic,Wheeler, Savard etc out of whack.
     Posted by Bruins6[/QUOTE]

Agreed. And here's a thought ... how much do you think Kess was going to listen to Julien or management about the importance of defence, about playing a well rounded game, about winning one-on-one battles, about dedicating himself to be physically stronger, etc if the Bruins had matched a 27M/5 year offer sheet?  The guy has a poor reputation in all of these areas and it's not just that he isn't good at them it's that he doesn't seem to have the desire to work at them. A counterexample would be Krejci who repeatly says that he needs to work on all aspects of his game and he is looking forward to doing just that.

I'll always remember a story that Bob Mackenzie of TSN related during Kessel's first year of representing his country at the World Jr championships. In one close game he totally floated back on D with no urgency at all and the other team took advantage and scored a goal against the U.S. His irate coach called him on it but apparently Kessel's nochalant reply was to the effect of don't worry I'll just go down the other end and score a goal.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE : Agreed. And here's a thought ... how much do you think Kess was going to listen to Julien or management about the importance of defence, about playing a well rounded game, about winning one-on-one battles, about dedicating himself to be physically stronger, etc if the Bruins had matched a 27M/5 year offer sheet?  The guy has a poor reputation in all of these areas and it's not just that he isn't good at them it's that he doesn't seem to have the desire to work at them. A counterexample would be Krejci who repeatly says that he needs to work on all aspects of his game and he is looking forward to doing just that. I'll always remember a story that Bob Mackenzie of TSN related during Kessel's first year of representing his country at the World Jr championships. In one close game he totally floated back on D with no urgency at all and the other team took advantage and scored a goal against the U.S. His irate coach called him on it but apparently Kessel's nochalant reply was to the effect of don't worry I'll just go down the other end and score a goal.
    Posted by GillesGilbert[/QUOTE]          He is who he is.I dont know PKand I dont know if he is willing to work on the negatives.I do know this,when he goes through his slumps over the years,I dont care were he is playing,the fans will go after those soft spots.Now that he has the Big secure contract,you would hope he works on himself a bit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE : PC is just an idiot, he is totally incompetent. he has no idea what he is doing. I didnt think guys like that could still exist in nhl. what a joke of a team, back to bruins hoping and that's it
    Posted by marco100[/QUOTE]

fool

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE : fool
    Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE]

This marco guy is a real moron. He goes under ghostrider also.
    Anyways,  back to he subject ,  sorry wheat but you're wrong. The Bruins would not have gotten 4 1st round picks for the next four years. Those days are over when the Bruins got that from the Whalers.
    By making this trade they actually moved up a  pick.  
    I knew it couldn't have been a mistake by Bruins management.
    I almost didn't sleep last nite.
    I'm also glad the Bruins stuck up for their coach and took his side.
    marco take up night school you fool !

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I GOT HOODWINKED BY WHEATSKINS !!! 
    I was just too tired to go search the facts. But thanks guys BLUECHIP and DKREJCI46.

The Bruins, who will hold a news conference this morning at which time Chiarelli will address the trade, now own Toronto’s first-round picks in 2010 and 2011 and the Leafs’ second-round pick in 2010. Had the Leafs simply signed Kessel to an offer sheet, the Bruins would have landed Kessel for first-, second- and third-round picks. But rather than go that route, Burke brokered a deal with Chiarelli, the framework of which the two worked out earlier this month when they met in a tete-a-tete at the Four’s, the well-known Canal Street eatery where pictures of the Bruins’ glory days adorn the walls. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TurnpikeDave. Show TurnpikeDave's posts

[QUOTE]You geniuses should all send Chiarelli your phone numbers so he can consult you before making any more moves. With your input, the Cup will never leave Boston.
    Posted by felixwas[/QUOTE]

I can tell you one thing, with the underwhelming PC running this show the Cup will never be in Boston thats for sure

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brian030731. Show Brian030731's posts

If you think it's bad now that Chiarelli gift wrapped Kessel and gave him to a division rival wait til next season when Rask is the starter and you have Thomas with a $5 million cap hit sitting on the bench for 3 years.

Chiarelli is in way over his head here. The only reason PC got a contract extension was because Jacobs saw the building full again and that is the only thing that matters to JJ. Who cares about playoff results. Warm beer & popcorn sales baby!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brian030731. Show Brian030731's posts

[QUOTE]i can tell you two things, 1. you have inhalled too many deisel fumes, 2. you are a troll
    Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE]

Look around genius more people agree with him then you. Grow up kiddo, just because people disagree with you doesn't make them trolls. This team is light years away from a Stanley Cup Championship. Aceept it and move on.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

brian are you really that stupid?

you are really going to blame this on Jacobs who has spent up to the cap since the cap was put in place?
    let me ask you this.....as long as jacobs is going to spend as much money on his team as possible, wouldn't he want to win? even if it is strictly money for him, which it probably is, more wins = more playoff games = more revenue. From Jacobs perspective, the best thing that can happen is the bruins win the cup. If he was spending NYI money that would be one thing but hes not.

okay, onto Kessel. How was this "gift-wrapped?" 2 first rounders and a 2nd is a huge price to pay, especially when considering that toronto might be a bottom 5-10 team in the NHL. Futhermore, those draft picks can be used to trade for big names at the deadline....how many teams in the NHL are in SERIOUS contention (the loss of kessel really isn't a big deal, depth and balance) have 2 first round draft picks in each of the next two upcoming drafts, and 3 second rounders this year?

As for Thomas, I am of the same opinion as you, that Rask can not be held down forever, and he will be the starter half way through next season. Do you really think Thomas would then sit on the bench? I know he has a no-trade, but hes a competitor, and wants to play, I'm sure that were he put in a role where he were backing up a young guy like Rask, he would waive the no trade in a heart beat and the Bruins would stock up on more first rounders for the future.

The Bruins are in very good shape, very very good shape