CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Re: CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE

In Response to Re: CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE:
    In Response to Re: CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE : Is that your name TryToBearIt ? or Claire ? The Bruins have 5 picks out the first 60 picks in the upcoming draft. Go back to the Red Sox boards where you belong! Fire Francona! Trade Big Popi! Dice K was horrible signing! You always have conjecture and negativity. Always bringing up the past Claire. Burke overpaid for Kessel! It will not help the Leafs because of there goaltending and overall scoring. PC didn't over spend which is smart and those picks will be used in trades as well as drafting. Try and Bear That!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I'll post wherever I darn well please. (and the Claire reference is to "Breakfast Club." If you're not an 80's movie buff, no biggie.)

Plus, even if I was on the Red Sox board, I would never be negative about a franchise that's proven it will do what it takes to win and has delivered (the Sox). Never would I call for firing Tito, who's one of the most underrated managers in the past half centruy, and Big Papi will always be a hero in my book.

Now, on to the question at hand, re: the Bruins (and really, this is more in response to dkrejci46 since he didn't make a silly comment about the Red Sox):

IF everything you say about looch and Wheeler improving is true, and Sturm can replace Kess' production and Recchi isn't out of gas at age 43...IF all those things fall into place (and I hope they do), then sure, the B's could potentially be a "better" team w/out kessel.

BUT that's all wishful thinking, and what we DO know is that the B's ARE essentially coming back as the same squad MINUS a guy who scored 36 while missing a huge chunk of time (and by your own same reasoning) can only get better...and this team got KOds by a very ordinary Hurricanes club in round 2.

Also, don't forget: the B's will be w/out Axelsson, a vastly underrated veteran who killed penalties w/the best of them and was a great 2way player....I do not believe Begin is an upgrade over Yelle, so that's a wash...and Derek Morris (at $3.3 M...really? That doesn't bother anyone?) may be a very big liability in his own end. Here's hoping he makes up for it offensively.

The Mark Stuart point is an excellent one. I really like this kid, as I do Hunwick, and if those guys can excell the B's may be able to cover up for some of the deficiencies in Morris' game, re: mobility.

My overall point is that the Bruins are a GOOD team. Possibly in the VERY good category IF all those things D-46 mentions click. I LOVE Bergeron, and wish him all the best, but you can't tell me that one big hit at center ice over the course of 82 games isn't a real possibility that could simply end his career right then and there. The reason that kid took so long to regain his form last season is b/c those concussions are serious business and he's just one away from never never land. I sincerely hope it never happens. But you have to allow for the possibility.

So: Was Kess a huge part of the B's continued success and Cup aspirations? Yes, I believe so. That's unwavering. Was PC in a no-win situation w/him cap-wise?. Yes. But you can't let PC off the hook for a) not seeing that coming and planning for it...i.e. not signing Timmy for as much as he did, and not signing Morris for as much as he did, or 2) trying harder than he did to get Kess out of the East and to a team that could yield a roster player THIS YEAR plus a pick or 2. Don't tell me a team like the LA Kings couldn't have met Kess' salary demands.

Here's the only way I'll come around to this deal: If the B's have a successful season and are a legitimate top 5 Cup contender come March, IF PC goes for it and uses those picks to bring in the kind of impact veteran who can put this team over the top, THEN i'll be back on board. But honestly, I've been around too long and seen this film too many times. The B's never go for that roll of the dice impact player and always go into the playoffs with a 'we can win w/these guys if they all play hard" line. It never works.

The East is a beast, folks. The Flyers will be tougher this year w/Pronger. The Pens are back with the same squad that won it all last year. The Caps are as scary on offense as it gets. The Devils are the Devils and will kill you with the trap plus Brodeur. The Rangers are pretty good, and dare I say it...the Leafs won't be as bad as people here think and may even sneak in as they 8 seed. If they do, those picks won't be so impressive anymore, will they? And even if they are, they don't help NOW.

For Bruins fans like myself who have been around forever, we're sick of the wait til next year attitude as long as JJ gets rear ends into his seats at the Vault. They owe this loyal fandom a Stanley Cup, nothing less.

If you REALLY think this team w/out a potential 45 goal scorer is good enough to beat the likes of Pitt., Caps, Flyers, Wings, Sharks, etc., the I tip my cap to you for your optmism, but not for your sense of realism.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from closetightly. Show closetightly's posts

Two playoff round wins in 17 years... That says it all.

Some people on here talk like the Bruins are the Red Wings i.e. dkrejci46

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gusgilpin. Show gusgilpin's posts

In Response to CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE:
    The present CBA Restricted free agent compensation stipulates:  -a signing of over $5,000,000 requires 4 First round draft choices as comp.  - a signing of $4million to $5million requires 2 First, a Second and a Third. This is in the CBA page 38. We got ripped off. Chiarelli should have forced Burke to shoot his load with an offer sheet. We would have been much better off. Chiarelli blinked. We can kiss the cup good-bye, my fellow Bruins fans. We'll have to wait until these two 1st rounders from Toronto develop into something...I'm thinking maybe 2015-16
    Posted by Wheatskins

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gusgilpin. Show gusgilpin's posts

In Response to CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE:
    The present CBA Restricted free agent compensation stipulates:  -a signing of over $5,000,000 requires 4 First round draft choices as comp.  - a signing of $4million to $5million requires 2 First, a Second and a Third. This is in the CBA page 38. We got ripped off. Chiarelli should have forced Burke to shoot his load with an offer sheet. We would have been much better off. Chiarelli blinked. We can kiss the cup good-bye, my fellow Bruins fans. We'll have to wait until these two 1st rounders from Toronto develop into something...I'm thinking maybe 2015-16
    Posted by Wheatskins

yOUR TOTALLY WRONG!!!.

OFFER
    COMPENSATION
    $994,433 or below None
    Over $994,433 to $1,506,716
    Third-round choice
    Over $1,506,716 to $3,013,434 Second-round choice
    Over $3,013,434 to $4,520,150 First-round and third-round choice
    Over $4,520,150 to $6,026,867 First-round, second-round and third-round choice
    Over $6,026,867 to $7,533,584 Two first-round choices, one second- and one third-round choice
    Over $7,533,584 Four first-round choices
     CHECK http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=34760

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gusgilpin. Show gusgilpin's posts

JUST FOR THE RECORD!!!

OFFER
    COMPENSATION
    $994,433 or below None
    Over $994,433 to $1,506,716
    Third-round choice
    Over $1,506,716 to $3,013,434 Second-round choice
    Over $3,013,434 to $4,520,150 First-round and third-round choice
    Over $4,520,150 to $6,026,867 First-round, second-round and third-round choice
    Over $6,026,867 to $7,533,584 Two first-round choices, one second- and one third-round choice
    Over $7,533,584 Four first-round choices

So P.C. got a better deal than the offer sheet would have given!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I nominate Brian Burke as the best GM the Bruins have had in the last 50 years.  Thank you Brian Burke.

I now enjoy watching Phil Kessel do what he does best.

And 2 HIGH first round picks on the way.

Oh - and Marco, Messier would not have taken Kessel "under his wing" as you said.  Mark has famously grabbed people by the throat in the locker room between periods FOR NOT PLAYING HARD ENOUGH.  Messier would have beaten the tar out of Kessel at least once.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

That's right BadHab bring back all those ol Troll Posts just like they do LoL!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

LMAO !!!  WHO ,  WHAT,  WHEN ,  WHERE ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

One thing I want is the TSN/ESPN camera to pan to Burke on draft day as PC hands the #2 Bruins sweater to Seguin. Burke with head in hands "Walways me and what's a HOODWINKE ?"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Then there are the untangiables. Things that ALL Bruin fans no nothing of. How a GM and a player and how a player and his coach and other teammates work together have a lot to do in the way a trade happens. Salary is a big part, but chemistry along with talent are huge considerations when making a trade. Sometimes you hold your noses when a trade happens, ie: joe thorton ( i always wonder what went on in that meeting when Harry was still here and joe was sent packing). .....I've being a Bruin fan since i was a kid back in the early 60's (Dean Prentice was the star), and the Bruins have given me lot's to cheer about. It was was sad living through an era of ownership that J Jacobs gave us. It was hard to understand. Now we are supposed to have an owner  who cares and wants to win. As long as we have that commitment from the top, I really do believe we are on the right path to the cup.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

That's right BadHab bring back all those ol Troll Posts just like they do LoL!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Actually, that wasn't me.  I don't know how old posts get made to look recent without an actual post.  Check the date on my post and you'll see.

I still enjoyed re-reading this thread.  A trip down memory lane. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

When the toronto picks come to fruition...you will then bow to Chiarelli and call him 'Sir'...LOL!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco1001. Show marco1001's posts

When the toronto picks come to fruition...you will then bow to Chiarelli and call him 'Sir'...LOL!!!!
    Posted by bruinsfan4778

i will never bow to chiarelli, it is simple to see he'e trying to learn on the job, cannot believe some do not see this. The trade looks like we will have a high pick but chiarelli got lucky , he did not expect a top 3 pick.

Keep in mind the years that have been sacrificed like this current year .
    Count ur blessings Chiarelli , the only reason bruins will make playoffs is because of Rask, thank Gorton for that or should u not call him SIR.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Chiarelli is a better GM than people give him credit for.  The only thing where he has to improove is the money he is giving in contracts.  I thought he did a good job with Krejci but not so good with Ferrence.  We'll see what he had in the back of his mind in the off season before we judge on that one!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Burke's mistake just like Calgary's, he should have kept the vet Allison over Primeau and Theo would have helped in Calgary.

Kess didn't get 40, might have with Allison(LOL), but he got 30 without Sav.

His 30G would have had us a home place in first round and now we are trying to get in by the skin of our teeth.

Pray for the next coming and hope that the management don't dump them. Management better not just take one guy over the next, some basis should be made on whether the player can man up for his play and his team, like leaders do.

We have been on pins and needles all season waiting for this point, since we never received a scorer, we have been like yo-yos. We have 3 games and a week to find out who we will get and if we have another chance at the grail.

Chiarelli was not hoodwinked by Burke, but he was very lucky TO didn't change goalies earlier. But Chia has a failing grade for his inability to find or replace his scorer from last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vilho. Show Vilho's posts

We knew this would be a good pick although i didn't expect top 2...until about 10 games into the year :)  But, we did expect to probably be in the running for at least one of the top 2 Dmen picks which would have been great anyway.  I don't care if we get the top pick...let Edmonton sweat out who the best player is and we have an easy choice when it's done.  It's like Oden and Durant, you take what you get and deal with it...although let's hope we don't get the equivalent of Oden...regret posting this already :(

That all being said, I think Toronto will be much improved next year and based on the second half of the year, they would have been in the running with us for a playoff spot like Carolina if not for the huge hole to start the year.  They have a lot of cap room and guaranteed to get some good UFA's so it's at least likely their pick next year won't have nearly as much value.  I think we should package next year's pick with Thomas (although I really do like Thomas) and land something like Gagne and Giroux.  I know Gagne is injury prone, but it's better than having a goalie on the bench and it gives us depth.  If you can't land JVR or Giroux in that deal then I wouldn't do it, but I bet someone will bite on Thomas and a pick for a vet with salary and a young talented player.

Ryder might actually have some value next year for us if we have more depth in the lineup and we can keep wheeler, ryder and krejci together as a 3rd line.  As long as you don't depend on that 3rd line as a focus they'll put up good numbers. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Would the Leafs have been picking first if they didn't sign Kessel? I guess we'll never know Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE : i will never bow to chiarelli, it is simple to see he'e trying to learn on the job, cannot believe some do not see this. The trade looks like we will have a high pick but chiarelli got lucky , he did not expect a top 3 pick. Keep in mind the years that have been sacrificed like this current year . Count ur blessings Chiarelli , the only reason bruins will make playoffs is because of Rask, thank Gorton for that or should u not call him SIR.
    Posted by marco1001

Sacrificed years ? Ya okay . Kessel our saviour !!! Just remember where this team was before PC took over . The B's system is starting to look good with talent prospects. Do we thank Gorton for that ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Brian Burke is the best GM the Bruins have had since Eddie Shore.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackedwardsbrownteeth17. Show jackedwardsbrownteeth17's posts

Who Cares the B's have a lottery pick this year and most likely a top 10 next year, can't we all be happy with something?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

We knew this would be a good pick although i didn't expect top 2...until about 10 games into the year :)  But, we did expect to probably be in the running for at least one of the top 2 Dmen picks which would have been great anyway.  I don't care if we get the top pick...let Edmonton sweat out who the best player is and we have an easy choice when it's done.  It's like Oden and Durant, you take what you get and deal with it...although let's hope we don't get the equivalent of Oden...regret posting this already :( That all being said, I think Toronto will be much improved next year and based on the second half of the year, they would have been in the running with us for a playoff spot like Carolina if not for the huge hole to start the year.  They have a lot of cap room and guaranteed to get some good UFA's so it's at least likely their pick next year won't have nearly as much value.  I think we should package next year's pick with Thomas (although I really do like Thomas) and land something like Gagne and Giroux.  I know Gagne is injury prone, but it's better than having a goalie on the bench and it gives us depth.  If you can't land JVR or Giroux in that deal then I wouldn't do it, but I bet someone will bite on Thomas and a pick for a vet with salary and a young talented player. Ryder might actually have some value next year for us if we have more depth in the lineup and we can keep wheeler, ryder and krejci together as a 3rd line.  As long as you don't depend on that 3rd line as a focus they'll put up good numbers. 
    Posted by Vilho

I've done this a hundred times and I'm tired of posting it - explain how much cap room they have and what FA they will get and how they will improve.  I'm all ears.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE : I've done this a hundred times and I'm tired of posting it - explain how much cap room they have and what FA they will get and how they will improve.  I'm all ears.
    Posted by BadHabitude

This is how it will be.  Kaberle will be traded (only the will the Leafs see what real value this guy had) and this might open cap space if they don't get back another player with a big contract  .  I think Burke will be looking for a first round pick for Kaberle.  He cannot go two seasons without .
    They will have some cap room to sign a 1st plan center but that's about it. 
    I think they will be an okay team and towards the end of the seaosn they will crack.  Basically the opposite of this year.
    With this being said the 2011 Draft we'll be getting another round of good picks if PC doesn't trade it for another impact player.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: CHIARELLI HOODWINKED BY BURKE : Actually, that wasn't me.  I don't know how old posts get made to look recent without an actual post.  Check the date on my post and you'll see. I still enjoyed re-reading this thread.  A trip down memory lane. Posted by BadHabitude

Oh no i'm saying it is cool that you did that! I as well like reading there post failures! Cheers! Cool

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Vilho- nice post. I agree TOR will be improved next year, perhaps even making the playoffs, my guess is there pick falls in the 12-20 pick. I wouldn't be opposed to the Bruins trading this away, or keeping it to have 2 1st rounders again next year, or hold to the deadline Posted by bhsreddevil12

The Bruins will get another top 5 pick in 2011 because 12Mil will not be enough for Burke to cure his woes in free agency. Toronto is not going to make the playoffs again and that will be the end of Burke in Leafland! 

Quite sure Toronto Leaf fans will not have a problem with that.

Sections
Shortcuts