Chiarelli interested in trading up...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Chiarelli interested in trading up...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=530457

According to the article in the link above, Chiarelli may be interested in moving up in the draft. He talks about the talent of the prospects in the four, five and six range, and that this may be a special draft.

That may just be talk, but I for one would be ecstatic if we could move up back into the top 5. We have enough talent in our prospect pool that this draft could focus more on higher talent prospects than getting a lot of prospects.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Re: Chiarelli interested in trading up...

I'd say a realistic spot would be #3 with Florida. They NEED offense, not necessarily defense. PC could package something like Wheeler/#15 Pick and a 2nd rounder or another player. If that were to happen, I'd be extatic if we landed Erik Gudbranson. He's already like 6'4/215

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Chiarelli interested in trading up...:
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=530457 According to the article in the link above, Chiarelli may be interested in moving up in the draft. He talks about the talent of the prospects in the four, five and six range, and that this may be a special draft. That may just be talk, but I for one would be ecstatic if we could move up back into the top 5. We have enough talent in our prospect pool that this draft could focus more on higher talent prospects than getting a lot of prospects.
    Posted by joeschmo25

Two things about this post bother me.

1.  Chiarelli has drafted 17 players, and combined, they have played one game.  His ability to evaluate talent is so poor, that he traded for Peter Schaefer, which added about a million dollars to the salary.

2.  If the B's have so many prospects, and their depth is so great, why would Trent Whitfield get called up...ever?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli interested in trading up...:
    I'd say a realistic spot would be #3 with Florida. They NEED offense, not necessarily defense. PC could package something like Wheeler/#15 Pick and a 2nd rounder or another player. If that were to happen, I'd be extatic if we landed Erik Gudbranson. He's already like 6'4/215
    Posted by Hockguy0818

Florida needs defense.  Bryan McCabe is not really a top guy anymore.  More importantly, why would they want Wheeler and a second round pick?  If they need offense, do you think that Blake Wheeler and a second round pick will be the cure? 

Why not send them Ryder, Thomas, Glen Murray's buyout and next year's electric bill for that #3 pick and Michael Frolik?  Seems about as likely.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Posted by Hockguy0818

I don't think that the new GM of Florida, Dale Tallon, will be trading that #3 pick, unless he gets an overwhelming offer for it. The reason Tallon was picked as the GM of the Panthers, was because of his draft success with the Hawks. I think that's the way he'll go, and is expected to.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

3-5 and we get a stud d man. How about Columbus. The have a lot of cap room next year, and they weren't too thrilled with mason, think they would have any interest in swapping garon and the 4th for maybe Thomas, 15, 45, and hunwick
    Posted by pbergeron37

Why would they want Thomas?  Why would they want Hunwick? 

Their total cap hit for next season is over $47M.  I wouldn't really call that a lot of cap room.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

// If the B's have so many prospects, and their depth is so great, why would Trent Whitfield get called up...ever?/

Becuase he's the only one that had playoff experience. Perron and Simmonds only ones contributing in the NHL picked after Hamill. Junior players have only a 19% chance to make the NHL get over it and your evaluation of prospects.

Tallon isn't trading his pick and neither is Chiarelli. PC is saying all the right things praising both Hall and Seguin plus throwing the bluff that he's willing trade up with the #2. The only picks he'd offer to move up is the other 3 picks he has in the first two rounds. This would be only to move up Boston's own first pick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

yea but that is committed to 18 players, and filatov might be back at an 800K cap  hit, so yea i would call having 11 mill to get 2-3 players a lot of cap room. Hunwick played great in the playoffs, loads of potential, RFA after next season, and Thomas because he is only a year removed from an all star season, they get a number one goalie, an NHL ready puck moving d man, a 1st, and a 2nd....how is that hard to understand
    Posted by pbergeron37

Take a look at their roster.  Barely any of those 18 players are even any good.  They have a lot of work to do on that team before it can compete at a high level.  Adding a defenseman who got scratched a bunch of times last season and a high priced over the hill goaltendre who road the bench last season it's really going to cut it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli interested in trading up... : Florida needs defense.  Bryan McCabe is not really a top guy anymore.  More importantly, why would they want Wheeler and a second round pick?  If they need offense, do you think that Blake Wheeler and a second round pick will be the cure?  Why not send them Ryder, Thomas, Glen Murray's buyout and next year's electric bill for that #3 pick and Michael Frolik?  Seems about as likely.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Too funny.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Heres the point not-a-shot, now take a look at this with an open mind, i've seen you chirp out people for even suggesting something. CBL decides that they would be better off having a mid first rounder and a late first rounder instead of one high pick. Anahiem doesn't want to trade up, and they think the bruins would be a trade partner as they have 15, 32, and 45. CBL already has thier superstar locked up long term, and need some complementary pieces, not just one guy to be the face of the franchise. They have a young goalie who they see a lot of potential in, one that they could see being the real deal, and maybe a veteran who has won a vezina to mentor him for 2-3 years would be worth it, and they know the bruins will basically just throw him in, as they need the cap room. They would have wound up taking a defensemen with that pick, one that is likely NHL ready, so they get a guy like Hunwick, who is NHL ready, and does have plenty of upside (not nearly as much as Fowler and Gudbranson however). They then get two good players that will be ready within the next 24 months. Not saying its going to happen, I'm saying that it makes sense for CBL to trade down and for BOS to trade up
    Posted by pbergeron37

Why Hunwick?  He's a 5-6-7 on almost any team in the league.  He has to avoid the press box in a season.  Why would any team want to give up a very high draft position for a guy who spent time in both of his NHL seasons watching from above and an old goalie who, despite a huge salary, was relegated to backup duty?

If you're the Columbus GM, would you even want these players (and their contracts) on your team...with no compensation going the other way?

I wouldn't.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

I don't think you need Hunwick to make a deal. I think if we could get a player like Gormley or Fowler then we could move Wideman, replacing a puck mover with another puck mover who is a better player. Wideman, thanks to his offense in the playoffs, has driven up his trade value. He could be the one who gets moved, and in the offset we could free up the cap to resign Seidenberg and Boychuk.

For trading up, Columbus could be a target, but I don't think we'd move up from 15 to 4. I think we'd move up somewhere in the top 10 before we got all the way up to 4. Perhaps making a trade with Minnesota and moving up to 9 could be the first step.

What I'm wondering is, who is Chiarelli thinking about when he says he's considering moving up. TSN spoke with Brett Connolly, who said we put him through the ringer with the psychological questions. He may fall to the bottom half of the top 10, making him available around the 9th pick. While his injuries have thrown up some questions to some teams, its known that his talent puts him as the 3rd best forward in this draft, and he's a pure scorer.

Chiarelli is also been said to like Gormley and Fowler, both excellent options on the point. Gudbranson would be great, but I think with Stuart, McQuaid, Boychuk and Chara in the fold that we're good on physical players, and would be better suited on offensive defenseman who are talented in their own zone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Would not be surprised to see Wheels, #15, #32 trade for a top 10 pick on draft day...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

I don't think you need Hunwick to make a deal. I think if we could get a player like Gormley or Fowler then we could move Wideman, replacing a puck mover with another puck mover who is a better player. Wideman, thanks to his offense in the playoffs, has driven up his trade value. He could be the one who gets moved, and in the offset we could free up the cap to resign Seidenberg and Boychuk. For trading up, Columbus could be a target, but I don't think we'd move up from 15 to 4. I think we'd move up somewhere in the top 10 before we got all the way up to 4. Perhaps making a trade with Minnesota and moving up to 9 could be the first step. What I'm wondering is, who is Chiarelli thinking about when he says he's considering moving up. TSN spoke with Brett Connolly, who said we put him through the ringer with the psychological questions. He may fall to the bottom half of the top 10, making him available around the 9th pick. While his injuries have thrown up some questions to some teams, its known that his talent puts him as the 3rd best forward in this draft, and he's a pure scorer. Chiarelli is also been said to like Gormley and Fowler, both excellent options on the point. Gudbranson would be great, but I think with Stuart, McQuaid, Boychuk and Chara in the fold that we're good on physical players, and would be better suited on offensive defenseman who are talented in their own zone.
    Posted by joeschmo25

Boychuck is a UFA, I would not count on him be a Bruin next season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't think you need Hunwick to make a deal. I think if we could get a player like Gormley or Fowler then we could move Wideman, replacing a puck mover with another puck mover who is a better player. Wideman, thanks to his offense in the playoffs, has driven up his trade value. He could be the one who gets moved, and in the offset we could free up the cap to resign Seidenberg and Boychuk. For trading up, Columbus could be a target, but I don't think we'd move up from 15 to 4. I think we'd move up somewhere in the top 10 before we got all the way up to 4. Perhaps making a trade with Minnesota and moving up to 9 could be the first step. What I'm wondering is, who is Chiarelli thinking about when he says he's considering moving up. TSN spoke with Brett Connolly, who said we put him through the ringer with the psychological questions. He may fall to the bottom half of the top 10, making him available around the 9th pick. While his injuries have thrown up some questions to some teams, its known that his talent puts him as the 3rd best forward in this draft, and he's a pure scorer. Chiarelli is also been said to like Gormley and Fowler, both excellent options on the point. Gudbranson would be great, but I think with Stuart, McQuaid, Boychuk and Chara in the fold that we're good on physical players, and would be better suited on offensive defenseman who are talented in their own zone.
    Posted by joeschmo25

You are suggesting the idea of trading a top four defenseman and replacing him with an 18 year old rookie.

Brain dead.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfan2010. Show hockeyfan2010's posts

Chiarelli will choose Seguin or Hall, which ever one Oilers doesn't pick. If not, Bruins will have more embarrasment to add to the blown series against Philadelphia.  They desperately need goal scoring and one of the above is the answer to losing Kessell. Otherwise, the whole thing is totally a joke.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Not-A-Shot, if I'm CBL GM and i want to trade down, I'm looking for two good picks, and a roster player with UPSIDE, a guy that you KNOW can play in the NHL, that has shown the potential to be a very good player.....Hunwick. If I'm the CBL GM, I would probably think about trading 4 for 15, 32, and Hunwick, but I would want a little bit more. If I had cap room, I would take Thomas in hopes that he would help a guy that I thought would be a franchise goalie in Mason. However if I were florida or say, Tampa I wouldn't come close to making that trade.
    Posted by pbergeron37

I think it's great that you feel Hunwick is so valuable.  I see a careless defenseman who makes bad decisions and has yet to play a full season without getting banished to the press box.

As for Thomas mentoring Mason, there are plenty of other guys out there who could do it that won't cost $15M over the next three years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Not a shot, I think it's funny you're so harsh on Hunwick, seeing as the only difference between him and Wideman is that Wideman doesn't get benched. Wideman continues to make careless defensive errors that lead to bad goals. They've got a similar passing talent, the only real difference I see between the two is that Hunwick is a little more aggressive than Wideman.

Getting rid of Wideman gets rid of a defenseman who makes carless decisions and has a physical style that's so inconsistent it could be called Deval Patrick.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

And go ask Los Angeles (Doughty), Atlanta (Bogosian), Toronto (Schenn) and St. Louis (Johnson) how they feel the results were when they put in their 18 year old rookies. Gormley's the most poised of the defenseman, responsible in both ends of the ice and physically mature. Fowler's already a better skater than Wideman, more offensively and defensively talented, and is bigger. Gudbranson would be the only one I'd want to stay in the OHL for another season. 

Even if we got one of these three, we wouldn't need to bring them up right away. We would have Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Stuart, Ference and McQuaid with Hunwick as the 7th defenseman if we could lose Wideman's cap hit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

I actually agree with not a shot 1000%. Both sides have good points that I agree with but here's the bottom,final line that I think not a shot should mention. If everyone on this board lived in Columbus would you be excited if the Bruins offered you the package that has been proposed to Columbus on this board. I know I would be absolutely mortified if I was a Columbus fan and my general manager pulled this trade off with the Bruins.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

And go ask Los Angeles (Doughty), Atlanta (Bogosian), Toronto (Schenn) and St. Louis (Johnson) how they feel the results were when they put in their 18 year old rookies. Gormley's the most poised of the defenseman, responsible in both ends of the ice and physically mature. Fowler's already a better skater than Wideman, more offensively and defensively talented, and is bigger. Gudbranson would be the only one I'd want to stay in the OHL for another season.  Even if we got one of these three, we wouldn't need to bring them up right away. We would have Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Stuart, Ference and McQuaid with Hunwick as the 7th defenseman if we could lose Wideman's cap hit.
    Posted by joeschmo25

Those are some fine examples.  I could spend the rest of my weekend giving you examples of defensemen who were drafted in the top five that weren't ready for duty out of the gate.

Here are a few:

Brad Stuart
    Bryan Allen
    Eric Brewer
    Chris Phillips
    Andrei Zyuzin
    Richard Jackman
    Aki Berg
    Cam Barker
    Joni Pitkanen
    Jay Bouwmeester
    Ryan Whitney

The list goes on and on.  It's rare for a defenseman that was just drafted at 18 years old to step in an rock the NHL.  Trading one of your top four guys with the hopes that the drafted kid turns into Drew Doughty is absurd.

Know why?

Because what if he doesn't?  What will you do then?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

For the record, Glenn Murray's contract is off the books as of the end of the 09-10 season :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

#15 and 45 picks, plus Wideman or Hunwick and a choice of ANYONE from the P B's (i.e. Caron or Hamill) might get them into the top 10, but do not under any circumstances trade a 15 and 32 to move up 6 or 7 spots...too much for too little. Otherwise 15 and TT should do it. Lots of TT haters out there...when TT looks bad it's usually telltale of bad team defense...same when he looks good...he's a solid goalie and a great pro...the labrum surgery might be the biggest inhibitor of a trade...teams will want to wait and see...his age is NOT a factor.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Wow, not-a-shot is really into critique when his last comment indicates that Hunwick is a better bet than any first year pro at the moment. Sure, Hunwick needs to be more consistent, but he can skate, and he does know how to put the puck in the net when he gets there. His skating also allows him to get back quickly, and , as these playoffs show, more teams will add the 4th man in more often than in the past. Wideman has the instincts, but he is not fast enough to get back before a fast winger blows by. It appears that PC has some thoughts, probably from talking to other GMs, that might result in some of the alternatives suggested, but will probably not include Timmy because the $6.5 combination is not too extreme. However, Timmy's desire to play regularly, and another GMs desire to avoid what we saw in the first Cup game[5-5] could stir the pot

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Wow, not-a-shot is really into critique when his last comment indicates that Hunwick is a better bet than any first year pro at the moment.
    Posted by Bogie6

Actually, my comments don't indicate that.  I was referring to Wideman when I said that trading a top four defenseman under the umbrella of "we'll just plug this 18 year old with zero professional experience in" was dumb.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

How many looked like these three though? And remember, those picks were pre-lockout, when a different style of play was up. Before the lockout it was rare to see anybody make an immediate impact. Besides Thomas Hickey, Karl Azner and Alex Pietrangelo every defenseman drafted in the the top 5 has stepped in immediately. For the record Azner and Pietrangelo probably could've stuck with their teams, but the coaches chose to send them back to Juniors, something we could do. Like I mentioned in my last post, if we get rid of Wideman and keep Seidenberg and Boychuk we would still have 7 defenseman.

We don't need to bring the defenseman up immediately, but we could if they looked good enough in the rookie camp/training camp. Moving Wideman gives us a few options to change the makeup of the defense.