CHIARELLI MISTAKE AT THE DEADLINE???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Re: CHIARELLI MISTAKE AT THE DEADLINE???

Morris will be a UFA after this season and maybe we can get him back.

He was good, but Seidenberg is better.  More offensive pop and his shot blocking is excellent.

I disagree with you about demoting Hunwck.  I would like to keep him in the long range plans.  But it doesn't seem likely.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

CCM- your reply is my main point of contention.  I don't think we should look at it as who is better or worse.  They should BOTH be on this team-we'd be much better. 

If they were both kept, who D guy would you send down???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Morris did not play like 3.3mil.  And everything he did was slow.  SO glad they traded him.
    gp g a pt +/-
    12 1 3 4 7  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

He was trying to free up room for another move.....nothing worked out.....it's as simple as that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachparker. Show coachparker's posts

In Response to Re: CHIARELLI MISTAKE AT THE DEADLINE???:
    He was trying to free up room for another move.....nothing worked out.....it's as simple as that.
    Posted by TuukkainNet

Exactly. We all better hope that Chiarelli didnt already open the door Seidenberg to leave after that idiotic contract he handed to Ference who is already hurt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Morris was a dud..he has been going downhill for years and not living up to past reputation.. Seidenberg is clearly a better all around puck mover , physical defenceman, and no you couldn't have both..

To sign Seidenberg in the off season is going to be tough as he will want close to $4mil , maybe less if he takes longer term.. The Bruins still have to sign Stewie which is more important and he is going to be in the $3mil range, plus Boychuk ..and now having signed Ference could Chiarelli dedicate that much salary to the back end.. I don't think so, unless his plans include trading Wideman...

I am glad for one Chiarelli didn't panic to get some offense at the trade deadline  , because after Kovalchuk was dealt there really wasnt anything to be had..and he kept our picks.. sometimes doing nothing is better in the long term.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Seidenberg is definitely an upgrade from Morris who is not the reason Phoenix is playing so well. IMO Morris probably asked for the trade (he has a home in Snottsdale, Az.) which will never come out in the press. What does Morris do like he always does makes parting shots in the media Bye!

I also think whenever PC rang up another GM he always heard "I want your #1's". Torres is not lighting it up in Buffalo and his contract is up this summer. Ponikarovsky was a shrewd trade by Shero that definitely was a head scratcher for me as to why PC wasn't in on it but Burke probably wanted one of his picks back.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Morris was "given away" because of his no-trade clause. I'm of the thought that this move was made with another in mind that just didn't pan out for whatever reason. Don't forget that come June, Seidenberg gets a 1 million dollar bonus. As for Chiarelli, It's hard to figure out what the master plan is,if there is one. His best move so far appears to be his first one which was the Raycroft-Rask swap. Since then I'm not so sure. the Kessel deal can't be judged for years to come and can't blame him because, and it depends on who you ask, Kessel did not want to be here. He has been here long enough where we should have seen at least some production from a draft pick or two(minus Kessel).Hasn't happened here yet which concerns me as to whether these draft picks will be properly utilized. Bruins fans, this a huge draft for this franchise. I'd almost rather see them deal the pick or picks for known commodities. i keep hearing Edmonton would deal Hemsky for the Toronto pick and take Ryder off our hands. I'd look into that and see if i can sway them into throwing one of their promising forwards like a Cogliano. Then, If Chicago,Washington or Philly exit early in the playoffs then the market for Tim Thomas gets interesting. Obviously Tuuka has proven to be the #1....Folks to me, this ios the most important off season in Bruins history in recent memory..Hope you make the right moves Pete.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

I agree that i am ok with that move.  I was not convinced initially about Seindenberg but if you guys notice he is bringing the king of stability that Ward was bringing defensively to Chara.  Therefore Chara is not scared to jump into the play and he looked much better lately.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In Response to Re: CHIARELLI MISTAKE AT THE DEADLINE??? : Exactly. We all better hope that Chiarelli didnt already open the door Seidenberg to leave after that idiotic contract he handed to Ference who is already hurt.
    Posted by coachparker

but he has....  with under 10 mil. to spend and only 14 players signed for next year it's going to be difficult to satisfy Seidenberg unless the b's are able to unload the ball and chain of guys like Thomas, Wideman and Ryder....  another braincramp from Chiarelli....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In Response to CHIARELLI MISTAKE AT THE DEADLINE???:
    I've been very happy with the play of Siedenberg and i'm not a Chia hater but there is one glaring move that has me scratching my head: Why was Morris given away at the deadline?  If Siedenberg would have been added and Morris stayed, our D would be so much more solid.  I don't know why Chia would REPLACE talent instead of ADDING it. Cap space did not prevent this move.  According to NHLnumbers.com, the Bruins have 1.7mil in cap space left and a quarter season remaining on Morris' deal could have fit in.  Also, there would be a D-man demoted-prob a Hunwick (1.4mil/yr) which would save another $400k cap $$ this year. Chara/Siedenberg Stuart/Boychuk  Morris/Wideman/Ferrence  would have been an outstanding group of D... Wish Chia wasn't in the giving mood at the deadline-he made PHO a better team for very little in return.
    Posted by stingerjp

Your wrong about having Cap space.  We have to leave enough room for Bonuses and Rask will be making several of his.  If we do not leave that cap space it will come off the cap next year and make a tight situation even worse.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Well said this draft is huge very, very big indeed. I'll wait to judge on Chiarelli's draft picks so far until I see Colborne/Caron/Sauve play in the bigs. IMO the Ference signing spells the end for Thomas, Ryder and Hunwick. Ryder will be tricky PC will have to include him in either the Thomas trade or include a pick to dump him.

I have faith that Stuart/McQuaid/Manchuk will be re-signed and I don't think those 3 can demand too much because there RFAs. I also do not think Siedenberg can or will demand 4Mil just don't see it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Chia's mistake at the deadline, I believe, was using that 2nd round pick for Siedenberg,instead of Andy Sutton.
    Seidenberg has played well, but Sutton is a horse. 6'6"..240 lbs.and tough. I have watched him since Ottawa got him, and this guy would look great in a bruin's uniform.
       Also, slightly off topic, but someone in an earlier post mentioned that Rask was clearly a #1 goalie.I really like Rask as well, but bruin fans more than anybody, should know that young goalies can look great for a season, but once NHL shooters have seen enough of them to learn their weaknesses, they can be out of the league just as quick. 
    I just think the bruins have to give Rask another 1/2 season at least, before they throw him to the wolves. TT is a good guy to have around in case Rask starts to falter. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to
    Chia's mistake at the deadline, I believe, was using that 2nd round pick for Siedenberg,instead of Andy Sutton. 
    Posted by biggskye

You can't be serious.  Sutton is 35.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThisIsBruinsCountry. Show ThisIsBruinsCountry's posts

The Morris deal was a bad deal.  I can't help but add his 3.3 and Begins .750 and think we were only another Mill or so away to keep Kessel.  Morris was steady, but I would have rather seen the money go somewhere else and use a  McQuaid / Boychuck earlier. 

Seidenburg looks great.  He's got a bunch of points, and has really been able to fill the #2 d man role admirably.  Defensively he's selfless (top shot blocker) and offensively, he's everything we hoped Morris and / or Wideman would be.

Top priority signing.  Along with Stuart.  Find the money (PC, you have to go to JJ and talk him into dropping both Wideman and Rider to the minors, a la Peter Schaefer - no one is going to trade for them without a salary swap for junk)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

I don't care if he was 45. Like Seidenberg, he was a rental, so it only matters how he is playing NOW, and not 5 years from now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Seidenberg isn't going to be a rental, they will most likely resign him to a 3-4 year deal at $2.5-3 million a year. Morris didn't play terrible but he didn't play up to management's expectations so Chiarelli cleared his salary and picked up a 4th rounder. Seidenberg is an upgrade, and he'll be a good fit here.

I see us resigning Stuart to a contract similar to Ference's, Boychuk signing one between $850,000-1.2 million, and McQuaid signing for a 2-3 year deal at just under $1 million a year. Thornton will be resigned, and Begin has a decent chance to be if he stays cheap. They're both 4th liners who will do their part both on the ice and financially. People look down on Begin because he doesn't fight but he doesn't need to be a fighter to get work done. He was a replacement for Yelle and while I would've liked Yelle Begin is a decent replacement. We will be able to resign everybody else without having to trade somebody, but Chiarelli, like most good managers, will always be looking for a way to improve the team.

As much as I hate to say it we won't be moving Thomas, Ryder or Wideman. Both Thomas and Ryder have a no-trade clauses and unless they can find a good veteran to mentor Rask then they won't even ask Thomas to consider waiving his no-trade. Ryder was decent in his first year but is a waste now. He plays with no heart and uses no talent. Wideman was a mistake for the price at the time, played good last year but can't focus on the play for more than a few seconds. Getting demoted on the power play messed with his head, and you can be sure they'll be taking the whole summer to try and fix him.

The one player who needs to be sent a message is Hunwick. He's constantly caught off guard and is playing like he should be in the ECHL. They can't demote him now without risking him to the waiver wire, which they don't want to do because of his potential (which as much as it doesn't seem so he does have it). If he continues his sub-subpar play they'll send him down in the offseason so he bypasses the waiver wire, and let him start next season in Providence.

They can manage the cap so everything fits next season, and the market will adjust for the near certain cap drop that's sure to happen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthony3063. Show anthony3063's posts

It was a mistake HIRING Chiarelli..once you total idiotic morons begin to see the light it will hit you like a ton of bricks..this guy is a MORON!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

PC made no mistake at the deadline, he made cap space so we could play Rask and allow him to reach his bonuses.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

Seidenberg isn't going to be a rental, they will most likely resign him to a 3-4 year deal at $2.5-3 million a year. Morris didn't play terrible but he didn't play up to management's expectations so Chiarelli cleared his salary and picked up a 4th rounder. Seidenberg is an upgrade, and he'll be a good fit here. I see us resigning Stuart to a contract similar to Ference's, Boychuk signing one between $850,000-1.2 million, and McQuaid signing for a 2-3 year deal at just under $1 million a year. Thornton will be resigned, and Begin has a decent chance to be if he stays cheap. They're both 4th liners who will do their part both on the ice and financially. People look down on Begin because he doesn't fight but he doesn't need to be a fighter to get work done. He was a replacement for Yelle and while I would've liked Yelle Begin is a decent replacement. We will be able to resign everybody else without having to trade somebody, but Chiarelli, like most good managers, will always be looking for a way to improve the team. As much as I hate to say it we won't be moving Thomas, Ryder or Wideman. Both Thomas and Ryder have a no-trade clauses and unless they can find a good veteran to mentor Rask then they won't even ask Thomas to consider waiving his no-trade. Ryder was decent in his first year but is a waste now. He plays with no heart and uses no talent. Wideman was a mistake for the price at the time, played good last year but can't focus on the play for more than a few seconds. Getting demoted on the power play messed with his head, and you can be sure they'll be taking the whole summer to try and fix him. The one player who needs to be sent a message is Hunwick. He's constantly caught off guard and is playing like he should be in the ECHL. They can't demote him now without risking him to the waiver wire, which they don't want to do because of his potential (which as much as it doesn't seem so he does have it). If he continues his sub-subpar play they'll send him down in the offseason so he bypasses the waiver wire, and let him start next season in Providence. They can manage the cap so everything fits next season, and the market will adjust for the near certain cap drop that's sure to happen.
    Posted by joeschmo25

http://www.capgeek.com/clauses.php?Team=5
    Joe, I don't believe Ryder has a no trade clause.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

While you've all contributed to a very good thread, I will reserve judgement on PC until after the season ends and he makes his moves in bringing in new talent and dumping old. It is quite interesting and informative to hear your thoughts on some potential moves, whys and why nots.. Great thread guys !

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

I am surprised at how people didn't view Morris as a solid D.  I believe he played solid, not great.

What i wanted people to discuss was whether or not the team would be better with him right now.

Many people commented that Siedenb is an upgrade- this is not relevant.  Others claim we can't keep... this is irrelevant.  Point is whether they would be better this season if they had both. 

Only valid points discussed was that he was dealt to clear space for a bigger deal that never happened and one comment about the B's needing more cap space for bonuses(i disagree, but good point).

When people point to next year or how one is an upgrade, I think they are buying into management's spin.  They could have upgraded by just ADDING Siedenb.  Next year doesn't matter because both are free agents-either guy could have been let go.  I just think they coulda kept both guys RIGHT NOW and made a good defensive team even better...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Sorry for ruining your post Stinger. I thought I was within your paramiters. Usually posters accept slightly off-topic replies.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

PC made no mistake at the deadline, he made cap space so we could play Rask and allow him to reach his bonuses.
    Posted by Orrthebest

Never thought of that scenario.  Very true if in fact the management team decided to play Rask.  If not, a second round pick loss for a fourth round pick is not the best of deals.  Yes, Siedenberg is an upgrade over Morris but the fact remains these players are both free agents during the summer.  There has to more to the Chiarelli master plan in the summer etc.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

Seidenberg is a great fit here but no way in h3ll is is worth $4mil/yr. If the Bs are smart, they sign him at 2.25-2.5/yr for 3 yrs. He is looking more for a longer contract than the 1yr he got this year and I think if the Bs pony up decent salary for 3-4 yrs he will stay. Remember.. in the last off season there were no takers except FL and the Bs have a better system/team so I would be surprised if it took more than that to keep him, but, this is Chia's team nad he is notorious for overpaying. Look for Hunwick to be gone in the offseason and Wideman cannot get any worse next season (in fact he has looked better lately).