Chiarelli's best move as GM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

Chiarelli's best move as GM

A lot of us spend a lot of time bashing PC for making bad moves.  In the spirit of being positive heading into the draft and free agency, let's discuss his good moves. 
    The reason I thought of doing this was reading the TT bashing threads where someone pointed out that our goalie position has a decent cap number (6.25 mill) compared to many other contending teams. 

So here's my favourite move:

Rask signs two year deal worth $1.25 million per season.

The main reason why this was so great was he made sure to sign him before he completely took over the reigns as #1, but Rask had already had a great start to the season.  If he waited, like the Habs with Halak, Tuukka's raise would have been 2.5-4 million more than he signed for during the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM

Re-signing of Krejci

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Trading Kessel 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Squeezing a 2nd round pick from TB with Recchi for Lashoff & Karsums

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM:
    Trading Kessel 
    Posted by TuukkainNet

Not immediately. As glad as I was to see him go after we heard he didn't want to go, he was one of my favorites and he could have picked up the slack when Krejci went down and maybe we win the Cup instead of Chicago. However, if Hall or Seguin can provide us with a 30 goal season or two in the next three years, then I'd say the trade was a success. If not, then PC took a risk and didn't get a reward. (Unless TOR finishes in the bottom 2 again and we get another top pick)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Chiarelli's best move as GM:
    A lot of us spend a lot of time bashing PC for making bad moves.  In the spirit of being positive heading into the draft and free agency, let's discuss his good moves.  The reason I thought of doing this was reading the TT bashing threads where someone pointed out that our goalie position has a decent cap number (6.25 mill) compared to many other contending teams.  So here's my favourite move: Rask signs two year deal worth $1.25 million per season . The main reason why this was so great was he made sure to sign him before he completely took over the reigns as #1, but Rask had already had a great start to the season.  If he waited, like the Habs with Halak, Tuukka's raise would have been 2.5-4 million more than he signed for during the season.
    Posted by derrickmorin

I agree with you that this was a brillant move by Chia. Looking back I really believe the Bs seen the writing on the wall & knew that Thomas was declining & that Rask was going to take over. So before they gave him the ball they made sure they had him signed before he had a chance to become an RFA. Great move but it also says a lot about there concerns for Thomas & the fact they felt early in the season that Rask could unseat him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Chiarelli's best move as GM:
    A lot of us spend a lot of time bashing PC for making bad moves.  In the spirit of being positive heading into the draft and free agency, let's discuss his good moves.  The reason I thought of doing this was reading the TT bashing threads where someone pointed out that our goalie position has a decent cap number (6.25 mill) compared to many other contending teams.  So here's my favourite move: Rask signs two year deal worth $1.25 million per season . The main reason why this was so great was he made sure to sign him before he completely took over the reigns as #1, but Rask had already had a great start to the season.  If he waited, like the Habs with Halak, Tuukka's raise would have been 2.5-4 million more than he signed for during the season.
    Posted by derrickmorin

As much as I love TT. I do think this could be PC's greastest move as well. I think by time this contract expires. We will know for sure that Rask is as bonafide as we all hope he will be & know  1) TT can be bought out, or placed down in Providence where his cap hit comes off. 2) That the B's will have to start shopping around for a goalie. Wait a minute? That first thing I said. With TT being over 35 can, or will the cap hit come off even if he's sent down to Providence? Or does it still stick, like if he retires?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

ill have to say his best moves overshadow his worst moves....ill take any of the signings of krecji,lucic or rask....i maybe in the minority here but i would have to put signing ference so early as 1 of the worst ones....of course you can say the versteeg trade,but who really knows where the tide was goin to turn on that....many,many GM,s in all sports have made blunder trades that look pretty even the day of....with boychuk & stuart still not signed, the ference signing i have to shake my head at

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hARRIS666. Show hARRIS666's posts

Trading Kessel was a bad move by Toronto...not a good trade by Chiarelli,,his signings are awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Chiarelli's best move as GM : As much as I love TT. I do think this could be PC's greastest move as well. I think by time this contract expires. We will know for sure that Rask is as bonafide as we all hope he will be & know  1) TT can be bought out, or placed down in Providence where his cap hit comes off. 2) That the B's will have to start shopping around for a goalie. Wait a minute? That first thing I said. With TT being over 35 can, or will the cap hit come off even if he's sent down to Providence? Or does it still stick, like if he retires?
    Posted by nitemare-38

TT caphit will count as full even if he gets sent to the minors. The Bs can't buy him out because of the 35 + rule. An absolute horrific contract with 3 more years remaining. Good God what was Chia thinking??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

Are we already out of good moves? Already have to look at the bad ones?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

Re-signing of Krejci
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Agreed!  Cap-friendly dollars for a top-flight player.  This year's "The Hockey News Yearbook" had an article titled "Here's 25 For The NHL To Grown On" that was written before the start of the 2009/2010 season. 

The magazine ranked the top 25 under 25 year-olds in the league.  The comment on Krejci was "If Marc Savard leaves Boston as a free agent after this season, the B's already have a new Marc Savard."  Glad this guy's going to be around for a while, hopefully with no lingering affects from his wrist injury.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

ill have to say his best moves overshadow his worst moves....ill take any of the signings of krecji,lucic or rask....i maybe in the minority here but i would have to put signing ference so early as 1 of the worst ones....of course you can say the versteeg trade,but who really knows where the tide was goin to turn on that....many,many GM,s in all sports have made blunder trades that look pretty even the day of....with boychuk & stuart still not signed, the ference signing i have to shake my head at
    Posted by pucman

Lucic is overpayed by 1-1.5 million. The reasoning behind lucic's signing is simple. At the beginning of the season, chiarelli gave him 4 mill because he didnt want to have lucic have a 30 goal, 65 point season then demand kessel like contract. It was a gamble that PC took and it screwed him over big time. Had he waited to the end of the year to give the extension, lucic would have gotten 3 million TOPS.

Im sorry, but you are blind boston homer if you think lucic is worth 4 mill

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Lucic would have no problem getting that kind of money on the open market. Every Gm in the NHL would want Milan Lucic on their team, and they would pay to get him. He would be terrorizing the league if he wasn't playing for CJ.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jedi33. Show Jedi33's posts

i gotta go with getting  the pick from tampa in  the recchi deal

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Lucic would have no problem getting that kind of money on the open market. Every Gm in the NHL would want Milan Lucic on their team, and they would pay to get him. He would be terrorizing the league if he wasn't playing for CJ.
    Posted by JWensink

They wouldn't want the guy who struggled through this season with injuries at that money.  Chiarelli did exactly what CJ did, and lost just like CJ did.  So worried about coming up short that he went too far long.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

If I am not mistaken, Jeff Gorton was the Bruins' GM who acquired Tuuka Rask...

Wasn't it Gorton that acquired Lucic as well ?

I also have to doubt that every GM would want to be paying the kind of money that Chiarell is currently paying Lucic based on last season's performance and injuries...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Why didn't we keep the guy from Bridgewater State College (who acquired Rask and Lucic in the few months that he was Bruins' GM) instead of the Hah-vard guy who likes to overpay almost everyone ?

Except Kessel, of course...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

That premature Ference signing was also inexplicable !

Oh wait, we're supposed to be talkin' good moves here...

Sorry, my bad !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

That premature Ference signing was also inexplicable ! Oh wait, we're supposed to be talkin' good moves here... Sorry, my bad !
    Posted by RMiller87

You dont get it though, ference is a good character guy. So is thornton and recchi. even thoug the bruins played with very little effort, heart, and emotion this season, these guys are still important and they deserve raises because they were good in the locker room. 

*this comment was sarcastic

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM : You dont get it though, ference is a good character guy. So is thornton and recchi. even thoug the bruins played with very little effort, heart, and emotion this season, these guys are still important and they deserve raises because they were good in the locker room.  *this comment was sarcastic
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie

Ah, yes !

How could we all forget about the infamous PC "locker room bonus ? "

As I also understand matters, PC will also be makin' inquiries with the players' wives and significant others in consideration of a "bedroom bonus" as well...

It's all part of next year's Black and Gold makeover, methinks...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Yes Chiarelli has made some questionable moves, but his successful ones definitely cover for the bad ones and then some. You can argue the Ference deal (I agree a bad one), the Ryder deal (too expensive) and the Versteeg trade, but those haven't ruined the franchise. On the other hand, the Rask signing saves us a lot on the cap room that we wouldn't have if we waited to sign him. The Krejci deal will prove to be a steal next season, and as Lucic progresses his signing will be proven to the critics. Chiarelli may not have brought in Rask, Krejci or Lucic but he's locking them in at reasonable (Lucic's contract) and steals (Rask and Krejci's) contracts. He's building a young core of talented players to build around, and he's not afraid to make a shrewd move. Yes the Kessel deal was a question mark, but it's going to pay off for us very soon. People can complain about Chiarelli not knowing how the Kessel trade was going to work out, but you can also make the argument that nobody knew exactly how the Versteeg deal would go down, or how the Ryder signing would go. 

The job of a GM is to make calculated risks in an attempt to build a successful franchise. Since coming here Chiarelli has fast tracked a rebuilding team into a successful team two goals away from two consecutive trips to the Eastern Conference finals. Critics can point to Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington and other titans of the conference and say why aren't the Bruins like that, but the truth is the Bruins aren't like that because we didn't have to have 5 horrible losing seasons before we started to turn it around. And each one of those big three teams has some major holes in them that are going to become shown very soon, whether it's bad cap management (Dale Tallon for Chicago), a lack of defense and goaltending (Washington), or a lack of surrounding your superstars with legitimate talent (Pittsburgh).

The real way to evaluate Chiarelli's job as a GM is to look at how the team is now, and how it projects in the next 5 years, assuming things hold constant. In my opinion, the future is bright.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

"As Lucic progresses his signing will be proven to the critics..."

Let's hope that you are correct...

I still don't understand what this guy ever did to justify a $4 Million per season contract with the Bruins so early on in his career...

Seems to me that Chiarelli might be handing out contracts based on a player's potential rather than their actual performance...

One could certainly say the same for Ryder's most recent contract...

Significantly overpaying guys like Lucic and Ryder while undercutting guys like Krejci and Rask can sometimes lead to hard feelings within a team's locker room...

Let's hope that this doesn't happen for the Bruins...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

"As Lucic progresses his signing will be proven to the critics..." Let's hope that you are correct... I still don't understand what this guy ever did to justify a $4 Million per season contract with the Bruins so early on in his career... Seems to me that Chiarelli might be handing out contracts based on a player's potential rather than their actual performance... One could certainly say the same for Ryder's most recent contract... Significantly overpaying guys like Lucic and Ryder while undercutting guys like Krejci and Rask can sometimes lead to hard feelings within a team's locker room... Let's hope that this doesn't happen for the Bruins...
    Posted by RMiller87

lucic gets valued so high by the boston faithful because the fans still live in the past. They think the "big bad bruins" still exist and that lucic is the "epitome of what it means to be a bruin." They treat him like a god just because he put van ryn through the glass and beat up komisarek. You should see how many "lucic fight crew" t-shirts are worn around here in boston. Its all jacobs propaganda.

Take a look at other power forwards like clowe, byfuglien, rene bourque, franzen etc. they are all as physical as lucic and score more than lucic, and they all get paid less than lucic. Go figure 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from taylorhall10. Show taylorhall10's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM : lucic gets valued so high by the boston faithful because the fans still live in the past. They think the "big bad bruins" still exist and that lucic is the "epitome of what it means to be a bruin." They treat him like a god just because he put van ryn through the glass and beat up komisarek. You should see how many "lucic fight crew" t-shirts are worn around here in boston. Its all jacobs propaganda. Take a look at other power forwards like clowe, byfuglien, rene bourque, franzen etc. they are all as physical as lucic and score more than lucic, and they all get paid less than lucic. Go figure 
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie

Sections
Shortcuts