Chiarelli's best move as GM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from taylorhall10. Show taylorhall10's posts

Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM:
    In Response to Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM :
    Posted by taylorhall10

Couldn't have said it better myself.....Lucic is waaaaaay over valued in this town. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from christy11. Show christy11's posts

it has not happened yet---signing paul mara on defense to get some size in front of the net and level forwards like the philly flyers out of there.   Ferrence, Hunwick and Wideman are just too small.  it showed in the playoffs.  it was tough to watch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cad11. Show cad11's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM : TT caphit will count as full even if he gets sent to the minors. The Bs can't buy him out because of the 35 + rule. An absolute horrific contract with 3 more years remaining. Good God what was Chia thinking??
    Posted by Newfiebullet

I don't think this is right but maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong:
    1) When a player goes to the minors, there is no cap hit.
    2) Thomas was signed before he was 35 so he can be bought out in the normal way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cad11. Show cad11's posts

People around here sometimes forget that before PC came in the Bruins organization was in disarray. There was no hope or even reason to think that the team would be a winner. He turned things around quickly and the team's prospects are bright. Yes he's made some mistakes but what GM hasn't? Whether or not the Bruins will have real success remains to be seen. But the way things were going before, that was not even a question.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Costa. Show Costa's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM2) Thomas was signed before he was 35 so he can be bought out in the normal way.
    Posted by cad11[/QUOTE]:

Thomas cannot be bought out because even if he did sign his deal at 34 years old there is a rule in the CBA that if a player is turning 35 in the same season in wich he signed the deal , then the player's contract is signed as if 35 years old. Which is the case with timmy being born April 15th

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

"As Lucic progresses his signing will be proven to the critics..." Let's hope that you are correct... I still don't understand what this guy ever did to justify a $4 Million per season contract with the Bruins so early on in his career... Seems to me that Chiarelli might be handing out contracts based on a player's potential rather than their actual performance... One could certainly say the same for Ryder's most recent contract... Significantly overpaying guys like Lucic and Ryder while undercutting guys like Krejci and Rask can sometimes lead to hard feelings within a team's locker room... Let's hope that this doesn't happen for the Bruins...
    Posted by RMiller87

Lucic isn't the first player to receive a contract based on potential...it's  been happening since the year after the lock out.  If Lucic was healthy all year and even managed 40-50 points again this year, there would've been teams lining up to offer sheet Lucic.  He's a unique player that can lift the whole team when he's on.  Even after his playoff performance I could see teams forgetting his unfortunate regular season and throwing all kinds of money at him.

As for players being unhappy that they are making less than other players causing a problem; how is that PC's fault? He likely starts fairly low in discussions with all the players and it depends on how negotiations go with each agent.  I would suspect that the player should be upset with his agent rather than the GM for signing for less money.  In Krejci's case, he knew he could get more money but he was trying to be a team guy and play on a winner. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM : Lucic isn't the first player to receive a contract based on potential...it's  been happening since the year after the lock out.  If Lucic was healthy all year and even managed 40-50 points again this year, there would've been teams lining up to offer sheet Lucic.  He's a unique player that can lift the whole team when he's on.  Even after his playoff performance I could see teams forgetting his unfortunate regular season and throwing all kinds of money at him. As for players being unhappy that they are making less than other players causing a problem; how is that PC's fault? He likely starts fairly low in discussions with all the players and it depends on how negotiations go with each agent.  I would suspect that the player should be upset with his agent rather than the GM for signing for less money.  In Krejci's case, he knew he could get more money but he was trying to be a team guy and play on a winner. 
    Posted by derrickmorin

Lucic isn't any sort of unique player.  There have been plenty of guys who can bang and score.  People need to stop believing the hype and start looking at their TV screen when the Bruins are playing.

The guy has one 17 goal season under his belt, he's been in a few fights and put Van Ryn through the glass.  It's not like he put together a season like Tkachuk had in Phoenix in '96-97 with 50+ goals and 200+ PIM.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cad11. Show cad11's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM 2) Thomas was signed before he was 35 so he can be bought out in the normal way. Posted by cad11
    : Thomas cannot be bought out because even if he did sign his deal at 34 years old there is a rule in the CBA that if a player is turning 35 in the same season in wich he signed the deal , then the player's contract is signed as if 35 years old. Which is the case with timmy being born April 15th  
    Posted by Costa[/QUOTE]

The regular season ends prior to April 15.... I don't know the CBA details but a good guess is that the end of the regular season is the relevant cutoff b/c it is known for date for all teams in the league.
    I recall that one of the issues with his deal was getting it done before his 35th bday so that they would have the buyout option.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM : Lucic isn't any sort of unique player.  There have been plenty of guys who can bang and score.  People need to stop believing the hype and start looking at their TV screen when the Bruins are playing. The guy has one 17 goal season under his belt, he's been in a few fights and put Van Ryn through the glass.  It's not like he put together a season like Tkachuk had in Phoenix in '96-97 with 50+ goals and 200+ PIM.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Come on NAS, how many guys with hunchbacks are in the NHL (jk).  This isn't 1996...how many power forwards are ever going to put up 50 goals nowadays? I'll use your line for Lucic..let's see how he does this year (first year making his big money) before he judge how good he is...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The regular season ends prior to April 15.... I don't know the CBA details but a good guess is that the end of the regular season is the relevant cutoff b/c it is known for date for all teams in the league. I recall that one of the issues with his deal was getting it done before his 35th bday so that they would have the buyout option.
    Posted by cad11

That was one of the big deals about it reported by Fluto/Dupont.  Unfortunately, they were wrong.  The relavant date is the June 30th before the contract begins.  If the player is 35 at that date, it counts as a 35+ contract regardless of when the contract was signed.
    See section (iv) on page 190.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Best move? If you believe what was written at the time, they felt they had to make a decision between signing Kessel or Krejci. So my vote is that they signed Krejci and swapped Kessel for picks. That's my attempt to combine 2 move into one. :P

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM : That was one of the big deals about it reported by Fluto/Dupont.  Unfortunately, they were wrong.  The relavant date is the June 30th before the contract begins.  If the player is 35 at that date, it counts as a 35+ contract regardless of when the contract was signed. See section (iv) on page 190.
    Posted by DrCC

For the purposed of the contract rules, all players are given a birthdate of January 1st.  If he signed in February, July, October or December, it doesn't matter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM : Come on NAS, how many guys with hunchbacks are in the NHL (jk).  This isn't 1996...how many power forwards are ever going to put up 50 goals nowadays? I'll use your line for Lucic..let's see how he does this year (first year making his big money) before he judge how good he is...
    Posted by derrickmorin

I'm more than happy to wait and see how he performs this coming season.  Are others?  While I wait to judge him based on what he has accomplished so far, will other wait to judge him based on what he hasn't done yet?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from whitbomb. Show whitbomb's posts

Lets hope his best move comes on June 25th at this years draft.........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from montecristo. Show montecristo's posts

Trading Kessel 
    Posted by TuukkainNet

My vote as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM : I'm more than happy to wait and see how he performs this coming season.  Are others?  While I wait to judge him based on what he has accomplished so far, will other wait to judge him based on what he hasn't done yet?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I read that several times and I can't understand it...I think I need more coffee.  Most teams think Lucic is a very important and useful player and I'm sure there would have been tons of teams willing to sign him to 3yr/12 million.  

Go back to just last off season, Looch was one of 40ish? players to be invited to Canada's Summer camp. That's pretty high praise considering Savard or Bergeron weren't invited among many others. How many other guys that you say are just like Lucic were invited? Being Canadian I watch a lot of TSN and they had a lot of coverage of that camp and throughout the offseason.  Lucic was on almost every one of the analyst's mock teams because of what he brings to the table.  If he wasn't injured this season and put up the same numbers as last year there would've been a great chance of him being on Team Canada.  Yzerman said himself that he didn't bring any player to that camp that didn't have a legitimate shot at making the team.  So does he need to put up 30-50 goals to be a core guy making 4 million, I don't think so.  I don't think the whole league watches Looch play through their Bruins glasses and I've never heard anyone ever say he's overrated.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRat13. Show TheRat13's posts

Acquiring Shane Hnidy and a sixth-round pick [Nicholas Tremblay] in 2008 for Brandon Bochenski.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Retiring. (still to come)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Chiarelli has an odd track record. He's missed badly on his veteran signings (Ferrence, Ryder, arguably Thomas) but he has restocked the system with good young talent.

His best moves? Developing Rask and putting Colbourne, Caron, and Hall/Seguin into the system.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UltimateBoston46. Show UltimateBoston46's posts

Take a look at this Boston sports blog, Ultimate Boston, which is up and coming and needs some support to take off! Just read a few stories and if you like the material, bookmark it and come back for more!!

Thanks!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM : For the purposed of the contract rules, all players are given a birthdate of January 1st.  If he signed in February, July, October or December, it doesn't matter.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

January 1st is for the draft age only, I think (search for "age 18" in the CBA).
    Every time the CBA mentions players age 35 or older, it uses June 30th.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRat13. Show TheRat13's posts

Chiarelli has an odd track record. He's missed badly on his veteran signings (Ferrence, Ryder, arguably Thomas) but he has restocked the system with good young talent. His best moves? Developing Rask and putting Colbourne, Caron, and Hall/Seguin into the system.
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory

But wasn't most of the Bruin's young supplied/drafted by the previous regime? I read something in the past couple of weeks that indicated since 2005, the Bruins have the fewest number of picks who have appeared in an NHL game.

A guy like Hamill is a perfect example - a top 10 pick who has looked mediocre at best in the AHL and got a token call-up for one game three years after being drafted.

And I don't see how Chiarelli deserves any credit for the No. 2 overall pick this year. That's a product of Toronto's poor play. I may be wrong, but they would have gotten that pick if Toronto had signed Kessel to an offer sheet, no? [Chiarelli does deserve credit for getting Toronto's top pick next year though. I never understood why Brian Burke hasn't received more flak for that move since he could have acquired Kessel for less via the offer sheet route].

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

As much as i sort of liked Kessel and I think we miss some of his scoring, PC got a hell of a return for him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Trading Kessel 
    Posted by TuukkainNet

Agreed. And in a year when the draft will be one of the deepest, acquiring lots of draft picks was the thing to do.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's best move as GM : But wasn't most of the Bruin's young supplied/drafted by the previous regime? I read something in the past couple of weeks that indicated since 2005, the Bruins have the fewest number of picks who have appeared in an NHL game. A guy like Hamill is a perfect example - a top 10 pick who has looked mediocre at best in the AHL and got a token call-up for one game three years after being drafted. And I don't see how Chiarelli deserves any credit for the No. 2 overall pick this year. That's a product of Toronto's poor play. I may be wrong, but they would have gotten that pick if Toronto had signed Kessel to an offer sheet, no? [Chiarelli does deserve credit for getting Toronto's top pick next year though. I never understood why Brian Burke hasn't received more flak for that move since he could have acquired Kessel for less via the offer sheet route].
    Posted by TheRat13

Burke has taken tremendous heat in Toronto and the rest of Canada about the Kessel trade..it is the first thing talked about in every interview and it's been that way since day 1 after the trade happened.  He's taken heat for throwing in next year's draft a lot too but basically, it doesn't matter what he takes the most heat for because he gets heat for every aspect of it.