Chicago Similar to Boston Situation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Chicago Similar to Boston Situation

Both teams/cities are longing for a Stanley Cup. Both original six teams. Both have recently returned to becoming elite level teams..

With the signings of Keith, Toews, Kane...it is believed Chicago must relieve cap room before end of year. Sopel, Versteeg, Seabrook, Barker, Sharp all have become sexy trade bait.

Boston needs a sharpshooter for Marc Savard awfully bad. They should make a strong play for Barker and Sharp. Seabrook is big in Chicago not to mention a top pairing guy, and will most likely be re-signed. Versteeg is younger than Sharp, and cheaper. Something like this:

Chicago's 3rd overall pick in 2010
    Sharp, Patrick
    Barker, Cam
    -------------
    Bostons 2nd overall pick in 2010
    Wheeler, Blake
    Ference, Andrew

Boston loses a young Blake Wheeler but gains a young Patrick Sharp. Perfectly acceptable given there is chance Boston gets a 1-3 overall pick from Toronto in this year's draft, who could very well be Taylor Hall at this point. Chicago needs secondary scoring for cheaper, which Wheeler fits into perfectly behind Kane and Toews and Versteeg. Boston gets a premier gifted goalscorer in Sharp, slightly more skilled than Wheeler and obviously more seasoned.

Boston loses Ference, but gains Cam Barker. Barker has a tonne of potential, and is best known for his PP quarterback ability. Can do Chara's job on the second PP. Chicago cant re-sign him, and Boston will probably lose him to FA, or choose him as a more cost effective Morris/Wideman, and let one of them go.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Re: Chicago Similar to Boston Situation

i dont know if id be given wheeler up...hes huge,has been the b,s most consitent offensive pressure player & is still young....thats just to much to give up on when you have other avenues

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

dhitch, I don't know about that comment " Boston gets a premier gifted goalscorer in Sharp, slightly more skilled than Wheeler"  Since when is Sharp a premier gifted goalscorer?  He has 8 goals?  he's an average 20 goal scorer at best if you look at his career  and I think we can get that from Wheeler on a consistent basis.... I wouldn't make that trade.. I like Wheeler and there is more upside to him than Sharp.. who is now 28 years old.. You should never give up youth unless you are bringing back some centre piece that is going to significantly upgrade your offense and be a difference maker.. Sharp ain't the guy..

As I have said the guy the Bruins should target is Bobby Ryan as a true sniper . It would cost a few draft choices ie Toronto's first pick in either year and a second and someone off the roster.. That's a guy I could possibly be persuaded to give up Wheeler...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rockett7. Show rockett7's posts

Hawks Can't take Wheeler...Cant pay him he'll be hovering around 3.5-4 Mil this year if he scores 20-25 goals. Give them our first rounder instead and throw in a prospect along with Ferrence and get Barker and Sharp in return and deal with the cap from there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

I was the factor to try to get Sharp to Boston because of his over all play and his grit and nose for the net. When I did the Board on Sharp I didn't know he was as old as he is and it seemed at the time he was hot. I still think he is a Bruin Type player and useful in most areas but a young Ryan would be a better chioce if we could get him. The Hawks don't have to trade anyone at this minute but Sharp may be a good pickup if we could.
    The Bruins will have wait until the trade deadline to see what's there to make a decision on their sniper and PC is being smart to wait and see.
    This goal scorer we need is up to PC, like in other years hoping for that player to put us over the top is in his hands, I hope he has the smarts because we are close.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Like your thinking Hitch PC should kick the tires in Chicago and Sharp, Barker and yes I would even do a shameful (not for Boston but for PC) thing bring back Versteeg. If Chiarelli were to do this it would have to be the Theo Epstein way "A three way Trade". Some team would need to take 3 to 4Mil player off our hands.

If we were to bring in 2 players then Wideman or Ryder would have to go for cap space. I would have no problem with that. If PC were to deal with Chicago it would even sweeter because the Blackhawks have had scouts at Maple Laffs games. Brian Burke would be foiled again which would make any Boston-Chicago swap even better.

PC would probably need to deal a few of those many first and second picks he has. Chiarelli should use Boston's picks not the ones we have from Toronto and Tampa (for Recchi). Unfortunately the Blackhawks don't have to do anything until next summer because there under the cap right now. Block Burke Peter!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I'm with you cowboy on not giving up on Wheeler. 
    I can just picture it next season when he gets 30+ season with the Hawks how we'll all be crying.  What Wheeler needs is a bit of confidence and the goals will start going in.  Against the Leafs he lead a 3 on 1 and passed it. SHOOT !
    dhitch good post even though don't agree on getting rid of Wheels .
    The Hawks are premier cup contenders and right now for me are the best team. Not sure they would play with the chemistry although Sharp they can replace. Also their management knows this year they must try for the cup as next they'll be losing some of their pieces.  Not sure what young players from the minors are ready to make the jump up in their system at low cap hit.
    What the Hawks would be interested and in the Bowman tradition are picks but again I would not give up a pick right now,  too soon. 
    I feel they owe us one on Versteeg or did we only loan them the player ?  I wish.
    Sharp at 28 and a UFA not this summer but next has value and would ne tradable on their end.
    Pick a number as their are many teams viewing. Montreal being a top contender.
    Bowman-Gainey relations. 
    What may shy away the Habs to Sharp is they will be making a push for Lecavalier again.  If they don't I believe he'll be traded by trade deadline for sure. He's just not playing for Bolts anymore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Chicago's 3rd overall pick in 2010
    Sharp, Patrick   3.9m
    Barker, Cam      3.1m = 7m
    -------------
    Bostons 2nd overall pick in 2010
    Wheeler, Blake         .875 Rest is in bonus's
    Ference, Andrew      1.4= 2.25M

We don't have 5M in cap for this, Wheeler is better than Sharp and will be for a long time coming.

Barker for Wideman 3.8M plus pick(3rd rounder) sure. Gives us more cap room and an even trade.

Our problem is not our D it is a gifted scorer, Sharp is not that. Ryan could be a good tease, but Ana is not giving him up. Selanne has still got the gift and is always effective on the PP, either way we would have to give back plus picks, and everyone is going to want TO's pick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

The more I think about this post the more it makes me think.
    If you're the GM of the Hawks with all their salaries intact (even with their injured players) why would you dismantle this team this season ? If I were their GM I don't move anybody valueable.  You have all summer to workout deals and move up in the draft.
    Their only weak link ,  their goal keeping.
    Their only player that they don't need right now is Sopel and Bruins don't need.
    Campbell for trade...uhmmm maybe but not for the Bruins.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Yes I completely believe the Hawks wont make a move until after their Cup run this season. That being said....

For those believing Wheeler is a better player than Sharp, give your head a shake. More upside, maybe...but you have to give up to get. Wheeler is expendable only because Sharp can be a first line scorer, Wheeler has not sscored on the first line in his 3+ games there...and is a potential second line scorer, tops in most professional analysts minds...and Sharp is being considered for Team Canada this year. His #'s have suffered this year with Toews being on the shelf for so long, but make no mistake, he has a scorer's touch.

Keep in mind, when planning something like this, unlike some of you, I look toward the future. I am fully expecting that Boston WILL NOT be able to keep Wheeler, Lucic, Savard, Bergeron, Chara, Ryder, Krejci. A 1-3 overall pick easily replaces Wheeler, who would only be slightly ahead in progression of that said rookie.

Ps. to nobobbyorr-goat------your looking at salaries and not cap hits. Barker is NOT a 3M+ cap hit this season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

morphosis1974
    what do you mean Hawks can't take Wheeler as cap hit too high ?
    It's not high at all and if they would be trading Sharp they'l have plenty of cap space and more.
    dhitch,  on Wheeler right now Sharp is a better player but when he was Wheelers
    age how good was he ?  Wheeler you have to give more time and it's way to early to trade him now for Sharp. I'm telling you we will regret it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rockett7. Show rockett7's posts

The  Hawks have 8 players that will be UFA's (2) or RFA's(6) next season that need to be signed ....They're already at $60mil for a payroll to start the 2010-11 with the cap expected to drop to about $53mil...Do the Math....They have to shed at least $7mil to be under the expected cap thats with out signing the 8 FA's....You can't even field a team if you lose those 8...They can't carry Wheelers salary he will be commanding at least $3.5-4mil after this season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Actually:
    (found in http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/devils_have_even_more_fun_in_florida_tiq2rTUfF4Hyk7kB25h18I )

"Over the last few months, there's been a lot of speculation that the cap's going to go down 20 percent. That's absurd. That's just made-up. It isn't going to happen," Bettman said. "I think it will be somewhere near where it is ($56.8 million), up a little, down a little, somewhere near where it is." - Bettman

The Blackhawks will still need to shed some salary though, but I agree with others unless they get blown away with an offer they don't do it this season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

it would be really tough to make it happen with virsteeg and barker, but i would much rather virsteeg than sharp for many reasons. he seems to be scoring more, is younger, has a smaller cap hit, AND is an RFA after his contract is up.

Just brainstroming a bit here, barker and virsteeg to boston, 1st round pick (BOS) matt hunwick  to CHI from BOS, Jordan Caron to a team willing to give CHI a solid cheap forward, a kobasew type

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Sharp is a good player and i'd would like the B's to add him.  However, the key is to ADD talent, not replace it.  There are some cap issues, but dealing Wheeler would only clear up 850K cap hit for this season.  PC could easily make room for Sharp's $$-he said on the record that he could have done the same for Kessel.  We'll see about that.

Versteeg will not be coming to B's- PC gave him up in a bad deal and won't give up more to get him back, thereby admitting a mistake.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

stinger, there is no qusetion that PC made a mistake with Virsteeg, I'm sure he would admit that, and if it were between getting him and sharpe, and the only thing standing in the way was his pride I'm sure he would take the cheaper, younger, better scoring virsteeg

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Who knew Versteeg would develop into what he is today !
    First off PC didn't know anything on him . You need to ask the coach at the time along with the former GM that had the scouting report. 
    PC is a classy guy and will not mention their names but he asked for input by these guys and from what he heard from them,  Versteeg was dispensable. 
    All this being said it's not PC's mistake but the people that advised him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

In Response to Re: Chicago Similar to Boston Situation:
    Who knew Versteeg would develop into what he is today ! First off PC didn't know anything on him . You need to ask the coach at the time along with the former GM that had the scouting report.  PC is a classy guy and will not mention their names but he asked for input by these guys and from what he heard from them,  Versteeg was dispensable.  All this being said it's not PC's mistake but the people that advised him.
    Posted by BsLegion

I'm not holding this move against PC- overall he's done a great job in Boston.  I'm just saying that i'd bet the farm he would not re-acquire a guy he already dished.  I like Versteeg and i like Sharp even more although he is 28...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

also, the hawks wanted krejci in that deal.....good thing he didn't do that

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

also, the hawks wanted krejci in that deal.....good thing he didn't do that
    Posted by pbergeron37

Agreed!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Morph, your right about the Barker cap hit, that was my mistake.
    Yes blockbuster trades, sadly, are impossible now due to the financial implications.

It would just be nice to have a premier goal scorer wih Savard for the playoffs, and Wheeler isnt ready to be it yet. I think Wheeler has tremendous upside, but as someone stated earlier, he will be seeking 3-5M in salary and I just dont see how Boston can sign him and Lucic along with the current core of Bergeron Chara, Savard, Krejci, Thomas and Rask. I fully expect Wheeler to be gone, and replaced by the 1st to 5th overall pick from this years draft.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I like the idea of going after Bobby Ryan at this point (I was also looking at Kovalchuk and Eric Staal but other conversations have convinced me this will never happen.)

Do not give up Savard, Wheeler, Bergeron, Krecji, Stuart or Rask (most people question one of the names I have here but he is a STUD so never even think of bashing him!)

Sections
Shortcuts