CJ is not stupid, or bad, ill informed or ignorant. I like em'! Whats ur problem with him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyb9977. Show Mattyb9977's posts

CJ is not stupid, or bad, ill informed or ignorant. I like em'! Whats ur problem with him?

Last yr...1st place
    This yr...we all know

On paper we have a great team...High ranked Defense....arguably when health the best (compared with L.A.)

Offense...when health 2 seasons ago...1 of the best..it was the same team this yr.

Okay...some contracts we can scrutinize TT....Savy (looonnnngggggg contract)
    but overall he gets the job done.....Krejic...Luc....I like the Sieds deal....

We are a great team who is on the verge of a Cup contender.

We got some promising young draft picks......
    The Kessel thing was handled great and we will benifit HUGE..2 first rounders

Whats everyones problem with him? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from east-westBsfan. Show east-westBsfan's posts

Re: CJ is not stupid, or bad, ill informed or ignorant. I like em'! Whats ur problem with him?

He has the wrong initials.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Re: CJ is not stupid, or bad, ill informed or ignorant. I like em'! Whats ur problem with him?

My first problem with CJ is he does not know how to handle his players.  He can not motivate them and will not hold them accountable.

My second problem is his unwillingness to deviate from his system.  All systems have strengths and weakness and can be game planned against.  In playoffs we see teams come in with a game plan to exploit the weakness in CJ system and he does not make the needed adjustments.

In short I think he is a very good regular season coach but I do not think he will win a cup.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In Response to Re: CJ is not stupid, or bad, ill informed or ignorant. I like em'! Whats ur problem with him?:
    My first problem with CJ is he does not know how to handle his players.  He can not motivate them and will not hold them accountable. My second problem is his unwillingness to deviate from his system.  All systems have strengths and weakness and can be game planned against.  In playoffs we see teams come in with a game plan to exploit the weakness in CJ system and he does not make the needed adjustments. In short I think he is a very good regular season coach but I do not think he will win a cup.
    Posted by Orrthebest

Very reasoned answer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I think you are talking about Peter Chiarelli. 
    I agree, I think he is getting way too much criticism here.  This franchise is on the verge of becoming perennial contenders much like Detroit is.  Sure there have been some mistakes, but overall he's done a great job.  People tend to scrutinize each move on it's own without seeing it as part of an overall plan.  All these "bad contracts"... do you not think he considered the terms carefully?  They fit the master plan, which I'm sorry B's fans, you are not privy to.  I'll give him time to work the plan and see what happens. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: CJ is not stupid, or bad, ill informed or ignorant. I like em'! Whats ur problem with him?:
    My first problem with CJ is he does not know how to handle his players.  He can not motivate them and will not hold them accountable. My second problem is his unwillingness to deviate from his system.  All systems have strengths and weakness and can be game planned against.  In playoffs we see teams come in with a game plan to exploit the weakness in CJ system and he does not make the needed adjustments. In short I think he is a very good regular season coach but I do not think he will win a cup.
    Posted by Orrthebest

I basically agree w/this assessment also. A perfect example of a different and winning style was Quenville's recent line shake-up in Game 5 of the Finals...he jumbled up the lines and the Hawks crushed the Flyers as a result. If that had been CJ coaching he would have "stuck to the system" and the Hawks probably would have lost a tight 1-goal game. I'm not totally against Julien (I think he would make an excellent special teams coach, since  his system consistently had the B's w/one of the best PK's in the game), but I think he struggles with coming up with creative ways to generate offenses...and frankly he needs to take some heat for the 3-0 debacle vs. philly--even w/the injuries that helped bring that about.

Curious, though about this thread since 'CJ" was in the title thread but the post originally seems to be about PC and his moves? If we're talking PC, all I gotta say is: this coming year is his last chance to prove something to me...otherwise I'm looking at Kris Versteeg for Brian Bochenski as his legacy (and if we lose Boychuk for keeping Ference, that's a big goose egg on his resume as well.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Quenneville had some legitimate pieces to juggle, though. All Julien had was a bunch of rocks. But I think in the coming season Julien is going to have pretty much the same bunch of rocks, so unless he adapts and changes his coaching strategies, the B's will be a middle-of-the-road team again.

In Response to Re: CJ is not stupid, or bad, ill informed or ignorant. I like em'! Whats ur problem with him? : I basically agree w/this assessment also. A perfect example of a different and winning style was Quenville's recent line shake-up in Game 5 of the Finals...he jumbled up the lines and the Hawks crushed the Flyers as a result. If that had been CJ coaching he would have "stuck to the system" and the Hawks probably would have lost a tight 1-goal game. I'm not totally against Julien (I think he would make an excellent special teams coach, since  his system consistently had the B's w/one of the best PK's in the game), but I think he struggles with coming up with creative ways to generate offenses...and frankly he needs to take some heat for the 3-0 debacle vs. philly--even w/the injuries that helped bring that about. Curious, though about this thread since 'CJ" was in the title thread but the post originally seems to be about PC and his moves? If we're talking PC, all I gotta say is: this coming year is his last chance to prove something to me...otherwise I'm looking at Kris Versteeg for Brian Bochenski as his legacy (and if we lose Boychuk for keeping Ference, that's a big goose egg on his resume as well.)
    Posted by TryToBearIt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

If we're talking PC, all I gotta say is: this coming year is his last chance to prove something to me...otherwise I'm looking at Kris Versteeg for Brian Bochenski as his legacy (and if we lose Boychuk for keeping Ference, that's a big goose egg on his resume as well.)
    Posted by TryToBearIt

You're kidding, right?  Kessel for Seguin or Hall is his legacy.  Good or bad, time will tell.  Versteeg/Bochenski is an annoyance, nothing more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: CJ is not stupid, or bad, ill informed or ignorant. I like em'! Whats ur problem with him? : You're kidding, right?  Kessel for Seguin or Hall is his legacy.  Good or bad, time will tell.  Versteeg/Bochenski is an annoyance, nothing more.
    Posted by scooter244

But you can't say that legacy is a winning one. Maybe it will be...we all hope so...but it could end up being that we let go a perennial 30+ goal scorer for a bust. It's wait and hope and see. Doesn't anyone wonder if the B's might have gone further than they did in the post season with Kessel than w/out him? Just sayin'...it's not like to guy doesn't give production.

also: Versteeg for Bochenski is WAY WAY WAY more than an annoyance--or have you not noticed that Versteeg has scored huge, pivotal goals for the Hawks in the playoffs--finals especially--and has been a great 2way player for them all year long? And again--if we lose Boychuk b/c PC thought Ference was worth another couple of years at a $2 M+ cap hit, believe me, that will be more than just an annoyance. Plus I didn't even mention the foolishness of giving a goalie getting towards 40 a multi-year-year contract w/ a NT clause....(and i LIKE TT--but that was just a classic case of over-payment for a guy who would have signed for quite a bit less.)

Bottom line: The PC years have so far yielded nothing but two 2nd round KO's in a row. It's not O'Connell bad, but it's nothing to crow about either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Take Versteeg of that team trytobearit and he would not put up the same numbers. Not saying that PC wouldn't like that one back i'm sure he would. There is another discussion thread on the first page this board in regards to that trade. I ask a question show me a link or a quote where a scout had said at the time of the trade Versteeg would be a stud and Bochenski would not be ?

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9528Discussion%3a739a3f25-a6a3-4a4c-b70d-a7062443544e

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Keeping your team in the top 3 in defence, while your team is suffering through many injuries speaks volume of the system that the B's have in place. We witnessed that every time a baby B would be brought up and he would be able to play in the system. 

Every coach has his techinic to get the max out of his players. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. That's why coaches get fired. I think PC trusts CJ's style and we can only find out if it will work, if we stay healthy and go for a run into the playoffs next year. Then you will see if CJ gets out coached or not.

What I really hope happens next year is that our players enjoy a full season of playing together without injury. Keep our fingers crossed. Go B's Go.
    '

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

oh, and for the love of god, get over the Kessel deal. I know you liked the guy but if you can't admit that this was the best trade i the NHL over the last year, and one of the best in sports, than your unreasonable.
    Posted by pbergeron37

There were some pretty lopsided deals in the NHL over the past year.  The outcome of the Kessel trade is presently unknown.

Guillame Latendress worked out pretty well for Minnesota.

Ville Leino did pretty well in a Flyers jersey.

Minnesota scored big in the Barker deal.

Toronto's acquisition of JS Giguere was pretty dang solid.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

oh, and for the love of god, get over the Kessel deal. I know you liked the guy but if you can't admit that this was the best trade i the NHL over the last year, and one of the best in sports, than your unreasonable. Posted by pbergeron37

Ha Ha the eventual every 3 month Thornton and Kessel fanboy revival posts DK. Gotta love'em and they will never go away.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

As previously mentioned on here & I have said before. CJ system works great when the other team doesn't adjust. It's when the opposing coach makes the adjustment for his players as a counter that CJ system makes the players on the B's look like programmed robots & they don't know what to do. And if a player who is smart enough to try & adjust the rest don't follow it makes it that much worse. Not strating TT in game 5 or 6 was an obvious mistake. Yes, TT was injured, but why dress him if he couldn't play? In his last start against Wash he was great & there was a gap in his starts then, so that excuse doesn't wash. CJ got in trouble before for abusing goalie's (twice he got fired for it) so I don't know if he was trying to learn his lesson, or if he hasn't learned. I don't care what anyone says. The biggest difference in the Philly series was the play of Rask. The B's didn't adjust to Philly, but Rask's play was extremly different than it was against Buffalo. The biggest problem all season was the B's couldn't score. Well, they scored near 20 goals in 7 games. Not great, but a huge improvement for a team that couldn't score. Now, I know the Rask's boys are all going to come on here & say "well since the B's were trying to score more, their defense got worse." Well, I can say the same thing you clowns say. "So, it was the great defense that helped pad Rask's stats! That's the only reason he won the Roger Crozier award, that's the only reason he had the lowest GAA." So let's just stick to facts here. CJ didn't even try Thomas & that's what makes me cringe about his play-off coaching. I'd be saying the same thing about if it was TT faltering & Rask didn't get a start. I remember saying the same thing about Sullivan in 04. That he had a solid play-off performer on the bench in Potvin & should've gave him a shot in game 6 over Raycroft.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

Coach Bill Dauterive seems to get outcoached too often. Or at the very least he is not able to sway from his game strategy when the opposing team's play dictates in-game changes. Having said this, let him do his thing this year and reevaluate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Coach Bill Dauterive seems to get outcoached too often. Or at the very least he is not able to sway from his game strategy when the opposing team's play dictates in-game changes. Having said this, let him do his thing this year and reevaluate.
    Posted by BlazeTrailer

"Coach Bill Dauterive..."

Never thought of it, but I can certainly see it.  Funny stuff.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

oh, and for the love of god, get over the Kessel deal. I know you liked the guy but if you can't admit that this was the best trade i the NHL over the last year, and one of the best in sports, than your unreasonable.
    Posted by pbergeron37

I never had a problem with PC getting rid a guy who didn't want to be here! I wish CJ treated some of the players sameway (Ryder,Sturm,Wideman) when their game was horrible throughout the year the way he did Phil! I don't understand why everyone had such a problem with Kessel leaving. He didn't want to be a Bruin! So, why would anyone want him here?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: CJ is not stupid, or bad, ill informed or ignorant. I like em'! Whats ur problem with him? : But you can't say that legacy is a winning one. Maybe it will be...we all hope so...but it could end up being that we let go a perennial 30+ goal scorer for a bust. It's wait and hope and see. Doesn't anyone wonder if the B's might have gone further than they did in the post season with Kessel than w/out him? Just sayin'...it's not like to guy doesn't give production. also: Versteeg for Bochenski is WAY WAY WAY more than an annoyance--or have you not noticed that Versteeg has scored huge, pivotal goals for the Hawks in the playoffs--finals especially--and has been a great 2way player for them all year long? And again--if we lose Boychuk b/c PC thought Ference was worth another couple of years at a $2 M+ cap hit, believe me, that will be more than just an annoyance. Plus I didn't even mention the foolishness of giving a goalie getting towards 40 a multi-year-year contract w/ a NT clause....(and i LIKE TT--but that was just a classic case of over-payment for a guy who would have signed for quite a bit less.) Bottom line: The PC years have so far yielded nothing but two 2nd round KO's in a row. It's not O'Connell bad, but it's nothing to crow about either.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

A healthy sense of reality is nice to hear.  Don't necessarily agree but it does create a balance of thought, the Ference signing is a nightmare.  The draft picks are the key to future idealism though. Now Chiarelli will need to be given credit if all amounts to revelation this time next year.  Back to reality!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

-Julien is certainly not a proven playoff coach in the NHL, and has never taken a team beyond the second round of the playoffs in seven years of trying...

-Like many former Habs' coaches, he is overly defensively oriented, and struggles in managing an offense...

-CJ has been previously fired by two Cup winning GMs (who would both have a sense in what it takes for a Head Coach to win in the playoffs...) 

-He doesnt seem to inspire the players to play with heart or react at appropriate times with emotion (ie. after the Cooke hit on Savard.)

-His choice to play (and stick with) Whitfield in Games 4,5,6 and 7 in place of an injured Krejci was very questionable...

-Despite being tough on Kessel last year, he didn't seem to bench players who were infuriating to watch and deserved benching thsi year (ie. Ryder)

Most of all,

3-0, 3-0, uh - oh !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Furthermore, 

"Coach Bill Dauterive..."

CJ is the spitting image...

For anyone who still doubts it:

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

the team under julien is to jeykl & hyde....in a heartbeat this team loses its confidence, sense of urgency & passion that it takes to comeback from a bump in the road....CJ,s answer always seems to button down the hatches,circle the wagons instead of work hard, go after them responses....you can take this all the way back to last year when they were sailing along,tops in the league till san jose came into boston in feb & gave them a pretty good thrashin....they went from a 40-15 record to barely playing 500 hockey the rest of the year....or you can go right to this past playoffs & see the 2 3-0 leads, that with the lost of krecji turned the seris or the 1 goal philly scored turned the whole momentum in game 7.....to sum his thinking up you just have to look at the whitfield insertion....instead of goin for it & taking a chance with a emotional,fiery player he went to old reliable....this is certainly felt by the rest of the team as to how coach wants this to be played....your not goin to win championships with out passion,& a sense of wanting it...it almost feels like he holds the team back   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: CJ is not stupid, or bad, ill informed or ignorant. I like em'! Whats ur problem with him? : Game on. Virsteeg for Bochenski was hardly PC's fault. He had JUST taken over as the GM, and I'm sure that he was relying heavily on the evaluations of his scouts to make thi trade. We don't really know what happened. Maybe they wanted more size, maybe Virsteeg was creating problem i providence, who knows, but keep in mind, they wanted krejci, and PC was smart enough to say no. As for the "losing legacy," these are the trades/signings that I remember. Bitz/2nd/weller for Seidenberg...resigned 4 years 3.25. MAJOR success Shawn Thornton resigned - perhaps a little bit more money than I would have liked, but not a big concern Signing Yuri Alexandrov - really impressed with that Drafting and signing Colborne - could not be more impressed with this draft pick. it was a home run or bust pick, and he looks good. Ference - not a huge fan of the cap hit, but i am a ference fan, hes an important role player for this team, and the tims record with him compared to without him proves it. Morris signed 3.3 and then traded. I thought the signing was a very good one, he was better than most expected, thought they could get a better return for him. Satan - good signing Savard Siging - GREAT Tuukka extention - EVEN BETTER Lucic extension - not a huge fan of the contract, like lucic, but don't think hes worth more than 3 mill, think this may have been owner influenced although i hate to admit it. Hunwick extension - meh, indifferent to it. Boychuk signing - clearly awesome Begin - successful one year deal. Thomas - okay, worst contract ever, but I think this one was owner influenced as well. Yannick signing - I'm pleased with it, can't hurt right Krejci signing - phenomenal deal Recchi signing - awesome Montador for Nokaleinen - whatever, I'm over it, both players scked but we needed defensive depth. Lashoff and Martin Karsums for a 2nd rounder and Mark Recchi - unbelievable steal. Stuart deal - good Wideman deal - I'm not as down on it as most people Ryder deal - bad Wheeler signing - awesome Kobasew signing, and then trading - both very very good. trading brad stuart and primeau for kobasew and ference - unreal. and yes, the virsteeg trade sucked....let it go.
    Posted by pbergeron37

Hey, I actually agree w/most of what you said, but you also backed up my own problems w/PC;'s moves thus far--especially the TT deal, which in the cap era is REALLY hampering their ability to do more. As for the Kessel thing, sorry...I won't let it go until I see tangible proof that letting a big time proven scorer w/speed to burn leave town pays dividends w/the new guy they bring in, I'm not convinced.

Like most Bruins fans, you're (understandably) trying to see a light at the end of our long championship drought tunnel, but if it's just business as usual w/this team--drafting good to great players and then letting them loose 3 years later when it's time to pay the big bucks, just as they;'re hitting their prime...you're playing the sucker again for a franchise that's just moved up another notch on the failure scale (#2 on the list of teams that have gone longest w/out a Cup.)

Hold management accountable, and to the highest standard, is my point. (And btw, you can't be thrilled about the Boychuk signing and OK w/the Ference deal IF that deal prevents them from keeping Boychuk--and that scenario is very much a possibility...Boychuk's way more valuable, and I say that also liking Ference's game--just not at the expense of a guy who could become a big impact Defenseman as he matures.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

but if it's just business as usual w/this team--drafting good to great players and then letting them loose 3 years later when it's time to pay the big bucks, just as they;'re hitting their prime...
    Posted by TryToBearIt

They certainly sent Kessel packing when he was looking for his big payday.  I'm not sure if he was asking for too much.  We'll have to measure his performace against others in his salary range at the end of the contract.

I think he's the only good/great player in the past 20+ years to leave after his rookie contract expired because he wanted more than Boston was willing to pay. Is there anyone I missed?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: CJ is not stupid, or bad, ill informed or ignorant. I like em'! Whats ur problem with him? : They certainly sent Kessel packing when he was looking for his big payday.  I'm not sure if he was asking for too much.  We'll have to measure his performace against others in his salary range at the end of the contract. I think he's the only good/great player in the past 20+ years to leave after his rookie contract expired because he wanted more than Boston was willing to pay. Is there anyone I missed?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Rookie contracts? Not sure. But you could build a pretty serious team w/the number of great players the Bruins have jettisoned in the past 20 years either over $$$ issues, arrogance, short-sightdedness, or just plain idiocy:

Joe Thornton
    Adam Oates
    Jason Allison
    Mike Knuble
    Sergei Gonchar
    Michael Nylander
    Kris Versteeg
    Bill Guerin
    Ray Bourque (A nice gesture to get him a well deserved Cup, but what they received in return was about as useful as a bag of pucks.)

i'm sure there are others I've forgotten, but these are off the top of my head. What Jacobs did to the 2004 team is simply unforgiveable--all in the (mistaken) hope that the new CBA would leave high-priced talent begging for jobs and the Bruins would have their pick of the litter at cheap prices. Idiot. It set the franchise back at least 4 years and it's only now on the cusp of recovering. we'll see if they're smart this time--building via the draft and letting those players mature and gel--or if they revert to form and let guys like Kessel skate away, labeling them "soft" to convince people the team doesn't need speed, talent, and goal scoring--just "grit", "heart", and other meaningless buzz words that cover for the fact they don't want to pay for winners.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: CJ is not stupid, or bad, ill informed or ignorant. I like em'! Whats ur problem with him? : Rookie contracts? Not sure. But you could build a pretty serious team w/the number of great players the Bruins have jettisoned in the past 20 years either over $$$ issues, arrogance, short-sightdedness, or just plain idiocy: Joe Thornton Adam Oates Jason Allison Mike Knuble Sergei Gonchar Michael Nylander Kris Versteeg Bill Guerin Ray Bourque (A nice gesture to get him a well deserved Cup, but what they received in return was about as useful as a bag of pucks.) i'm sure there are others I've forgotten, but these are off the top of my head. What Jacobs did to the 2004 team is simply unforgiveable--all in the (mistaken) hope that the new CBA would leave high-priced talent begging for jobs and the Bruins would have their pick of the litter at cheap prices. Idiot. It set the franchise back at least 4 years and it's only now on the cusp of recovering. we'll see if they're smart this time--building via the draft and letting those players mature and gel--or if they revert to form and let guys like Kessel skate away, labeling them "soft" to convince people the team doesn't need speed, talent, and goal scoring--just "grit", "heart", and other meaningless buzz words that cover for the fact they don't want to pay for winners.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

Joe Thornton: Attitude problem and poor management decision lead to his departure, not money.

Adam Oates:  Shipped out shortly after criticizing management, not money

Jason Allison: Held out for more money and was sent to LA.  The contract he signed in LA was 3yr/20M.  He got hurt and only played 99 games.

Mike Knuble:  Super post lockout misjudgment by B's brass.

Sergei Gonchar:  See Knuble

Michael Nylander:  See Knuble

Kris Versteeg:  Poor trade, nothing to do with money

Bill Guerin:  Held out demanding huge money.  Signed by Dallas to 5yr/$45M deal.  Later, Dallas bought him out.  I'd say that was a big win for Boston.

Ray Bourque:  Left to win a Cup.  Had nothing to do with his contract.

I don't see how any of these players pertain to your statement about the Bruins developing young talent and then refusing to pay them three years after.