Classless Philly

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Classless Philly

I'm happy for the Blackhawks and next to the Bruins they are the team I like the most. Probably ever since Harry traded Al Secord there!
    But this is one of the rare ocassions when I am also happy because I take joy in watching a particular team lose. While I  can credit Philly for squeaking into the playoffs and then clawing their way to the finals, they remain a classless organization with classless fans (as do ALL the Philly teams - must be something in the water there). Almost since their inception, this team has consistently been dirty and a the kind of organization that fostered the kind of play that I personally think is bad for the game. Rule changes and the evolution of the game have somewhat negated the goonery (is that even a word??) that the Flyers have been so good at over the years, they still have an organizational culture firmly rooted in the 1970's. Bobby Clarke is the GM so that has alot to do with it I'm sure.
    So, CONGRATS 'hawks and F.U. Philly! :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: Classless Philly

Talk about classless, hmmm
    thats all ill say

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

I too loathe the Phliars for many of the same reasons which go way back. 

Should point out that "Bob" (as he insists on being called now) Clarke hasn't been their GM since he decided he could no longer handle the stress of the job 3 seasons ago.  Paul Holmgren took over as GM, with Clarkie kicked upstairs as Assistant to Owner Ed Snider.  Holmgren's done a good job, though he has the same problem Clarke had:  he has yet to make goaltending a priority.  Leighton showed his journeyman colors vs. the Blackhawks, Boucher's a career back-up and Emery's injury prone and a bit unpredictable on and off the ice.  Good enough for 'em.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

BC - My bad....I forgot Clarke was booted up. Holmgren has done a good job (goaltending aside) but I stand my my earlier post.
    Wally - sorry you take offense. If it makes you feel any better, my daughter is headed to Villanova and my niece will be at Penn in the fall, so I will be rubbing elbows with the citizens of Philly on a regular basis. I'd better get my shots, eh? lol.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from choclab511. Show choclab511's posts

BTW, did anyone else hear Emrick say how the fans were showing their class by staying around for the award ceremonies? Most of the building booed the entire time while GB handed out the hardware. What was Emrick watching? What a lap dog for the league.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Have always hated the way the Flyers have played back to the Broad Street Bully days.  This version of the Flyers isn't nearly as dirty as those past teams, but they do have their moments i.e. Pronger was rated the 'dirtest player' in the league by fellow players.

However, everything I've heard from players and ex-players is that they treat their players very well and it's one of the best organizations in the NHL, a great place to play.

Fans are pretty passionate there as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nannijr. Show nannijr's posts

I have always thought Philly to be classless, this year was just an adding to it, First Pulling out poor dead Kate Smith to sing God Bless America for 1974 who else besides me can remember that like it was yesterday , (really now let her rest in peace) and then to boo Chicago as they go the Cup. I remember in 1988 when the Oilers won in Boston , Boston Fans stayed and cheered them. Even the Players were suprised that we would do that for an oppsiong team. It just shows that Boston Bruins fans have CLASS

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

I hate the Flyers as well from back in the rivalry days, and they still employ goons like Carcillo and Hartnell, but I'll tell you this much:

I'll take their owner Ed Snider--who cares PASSIONATELY about his team--over the Bruins' useless, bloodless, money-grubbing sack of s*it any day of the week. You want to talk classless? Thy name is Jacobs. I doubt he even paid attention as his team collapsed like a BP oil well becoming only the 4th team in any sport to blow a 3-0 series lead.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

In Response to Re: Classless Philly:
    BTW, did anyone else hear Emrick say how the fans were showing their class by staying around for the award ceremonies? Most of the building booed the entire time while GB handed out the hardware. What was Emrick watching? What a lap dog for the league.
    Posted by choclab511

I thought the booing was directed at Bettman. He was booed as soon as he appeared on the ice and while he was talking. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from blydon75. Show blydon75's posts

When Bettman walked out, he did get booed, like he always does.  No harm there.  But they then went on to boo the Blackhawks passing the Cup around long after Bettman was off the ice.  I usually don't think much about the fan-bashing of other teams, but I was sitting on the couch trying to think of the last time I could remember the continued booing of a visiting team during their Cup-passing tradition....I honestly couldn't think of one.  The loudest boos went to Dustin Byfuglien and Marian Hossa....Congrats to the Blackhawks.  I can honestly say they were the best team all year and deserved it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I hate the Flyers as well from back in the rivalry days, and they still employ goons like Carcillo and Hartnell, but I'll tell you this much: I'll take their owner Ed Snider--who cares PASSIONATELY about his team--over the Bruins' useless, bloodless, money-grubbing sack of s*it any day of the week. You want to talk classless? Thy name is Jacobs. I doubt he even paid attention as his team collapsed like a BP oil well becoming only the 4th team in any sport to blow a 3-0 series lead.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

I for one wanted Philly to win only because of how much I hate Chicago's tactics.  
    All of you talk how dirty Philly was ?  Pronger ?
    Hartnell ?  Carcillo I agree but hardly played in the finals.
    Were you all watching the same playoffs , Chicago was the dirtiest team in all the playoffs,  go ask Luongo, Sedin's and Joe Thornton !!!  Boland is what they call the "New Rat " !  Ladd, Burish and even big Buffy. All dirty.
    I won;t even start with all their trash talk they did during the playoffs.  They had about 10 Lapierre's on their team.
    Bolland  was so dirty behind the play, all the cheap shots he gave !!! I would have loved to see you Bruin fans if it were a Bruin (Bergeron. Savard or Krejci) getting slashed , crossed checked etc....  You would all be crying today on how CHEAP the Hawks are.  Instead you hide behind your hatred towards another team and not being objective .  Philly was not that bad.  At least Hartnell was in your face and not from behind.

On this note Chicago was the most talented and the best team. I guess that counts and deserves the cup even though I don't like their tactics. 
    Just my opinion.

TryToBearIt,  you should go see a thread I started a few weeks ago "Prediction and Hot Topic"  I brought up the exact same argument concerning team owners and mentioned the Hawks and Snider (Philly).  Go see some of the feedback I got.
    Don't feel like re-typing all that again!  I agree with you on this one 100%.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I agree that the Philly ownership is excellent and the fans are passionate. I would love to trade jacobs for snider! They still remain a dirty team and the fans are a classless band of mouth-breathing subhuman morons! BTW, there is a huge difference between being an agitator or chippy as opposed to being dirty.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hARRIS666. Show hARRIS666's posts

Bobbie Clarke was a lousy GM...just as bad as Mike Milbury...Why they think players make great GM's is stupid...Sammy P. from Montreal and Bill Torrey were two of the best..Harry Sinden, the most OVER Rated GM of all times...Milt Schmidt was Great!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

TrytoBearit.
    So right about Jacobs. Does he care at all or is he just counting the coin. Synder wants to win, Jacobs just wants to maximize profits. Maybe his son will do what Rocky Wirtz did. I doubt it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

TrytoBearit. So right about Jacobs. Does he care at all or is he just counting the coin. Synder wants to win, Jacobs just wants to maximize profits. Maybe his son will do what Rocky Wirtz did. I doubt it.
    Posted by perrysound

I don't wish actual death on JJ (I do have SOME perspective on sports after all), but isn't it ironic that it took the death of the senior Wirtz--the ONLY owner worse in the game than JJ--to die before the Hawks finally won? What scares me even worse than JJ living forever and keeping his soulless death grip on the B's is that his son Charlie is an even worse version of his old man--who knows even LESS about hockey than JJ does, and probably cares about as much.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: Classless Philly : I for one wanted Philly to win only because of how much I hate Chicago's tactics.   All of you talk how dirty Philly was ?  Pronger ? Hartnell ?  Carcillo I agree but hardly played in the finals. Were you all watching the same playoffs , Chicago was the dirtiest team in all the playoffs,  go ask Luongo, Sedin's and Joe Thornton !!!  Boland is what they call the "New Rat " !  Ladd, Burish and even big Buffy. All dirty. I won;t even start with all their trash talk they did during the playoffs.  They had about 10 Lapierre's on their team. Bolland  was so dirty behind the play, all the cheap shots he gave !!! I would have loved to see you Bruin fans if it were a Bruin (Bergeron. Savard or Krejci) getting slashed , crossed checked etc....  You would all be crying today on how CHEAP the Hawks are.  Instead you hide behind your hatred towards another team and not being objective .  Philly was not that bad.  At least Hartnell was in your face and not from behind. On this note Chicago was the most talented and the best team. I guess that counts and deserves the cup even though I don't like their tactics.  Just my opinion. TryToBearIt ,  you should go see a thread I started a few weeks ago "Prediction and Hot Topic"  I brought up the exact same argument concerning team owners and mentioned the Hawks and Snider (Philly).  Go see some of the feedback I got. Don't feel like re-typing all that again!  I agree with you on this one 100%.
    Posted by BsLegion

Will make it  a point to find that thread and post, B'sLegion. always appreciate your perspective. BTW, I fully admit my hatred of the Flyers has more to do w/lingering resentment of the 70's teams and the horror of the collapse at their hands this year than the actual team they have currently on the ice--Hartnell and Carcillo excepted--they're goons.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Was there a sale on sour grapes at Star Market this morning?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

I hate the Flyers as well from back in the rivalry days, and they still employ goons like Carcillo and Hartnell, but I'll tell you this much: I'll take their owner Ed Snider--who cares PASSIONATELY about his team--over the Bruins' useless, bloodless, money-grubbing sack of s*it any day of the week. You want to talk classless? Thy name is Jacobs. I doubt he even paid attention as his team collapsed like a BP oil well becoming only the 4th team in any sport to blow a 3-0 series lead.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

"...useless, bloodless, money-grubbing sack of s*it..."

Too funny.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GABees. Show GABees's posts

Was there a sale on sour grapes at Star Market this morning?
    Posted by Kennedy97

No. Folks are just being honest.  I thought the booing would stop at some point and Philthi-delphia would show some respect for the game.  But then again, we're talking about Joey-bag-of-donut types who throw batteries at football games.  I AM SO GLAD CHICAGO BEAT THEM!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I have always thought Philly to be classless, this year was just an adding to it, First Pulling out poor dead Kate Smith to sing God Bless America for 1974 who else besides me can remember that like it was yesterday , (really now let her rest in peace) and then to boo Chicago as they go the Cup. I remember in 1988 when the Oilers won in Boston , Boston Fans stayed and cheered them. Even the Players were suprised that we would do that for an oppsiong team. It just shows that Boston Bruins fans have CLASS
    Posted by nannijr

The final game in 1988 was played in Edmonton.  It was 1990.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Not-A-Shot...Thank God you caught that horrible, egregious error by nannijr!!! I was afraid the earth was going to spin off it's axis. :P

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Classless Philly : I don't wish actual death on JJ (I do have SOME perspective on sports after all), but isn't it ironic that it took the death of the senior Wirtz--the ONLY owner worse in the game than JJ--to die before the Hawks finally won? What scares me even worse than JJ living forever and keeping his soulless death grip on the B's is that his son Charlie is an even worse version of his old man--who knows even LESS about hockey than JJ does, and probably cares about as much.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

LMAO !

WalkTheLine,  good post.

Hey Kennedy,  long time no see, LOL...  dont take the Lapierre comment
    bad I know you don't like him either.  Just comes to prove you need those types, like it or not,  to win (a la Claude Lemieux).
    Chicago has about 10 of those.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

While I think that many of the Flyers fanbase are knuckle draggers, I am willing to give them a pass on their behavior last night.  Most of the booing I heard on the NBC broadcast appeared to be directed at Gary Bettman.  I have no problem with that.  As far as the fans booing players that they viewed as villians, I don't really have a problem with that either.  I heard as many or more cheers for the Blackhawks while they celebrated as I heard boos.  At least they didn't shower the ice with crap like the fans in Boston did when the Bruins lost their series.

It looked to me like most of the fans stuck around to cheer their team off the ice after an incredible playoff run that ended in disappointment.  From my living room, it appeared that there were more Flyers fans cheering the Hawks than there were booing them as they celebrated their Cup win.

I am all for bashing the Flyers and their fans when they deserve it, which is most of the time.  I didn't see them as bad last night, all things considered.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Call them dirty or whatever you guys want. But at least their "dirty" players play with heart, dont take plays off, actually care about their team. I also wonder why us bruins fans like to trash philly's fanbase, but they have the last laugh at us. They werent the ones who blew a 3-0 lead both in the series and in game 7.

Oh and by the way, I bet you if the bruins had hartnell, richards, carcillo, or pronger on the team we would all be praising them about how tough they are

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I thought the fans were a bit extreme...but the Flyers played great...I don't think I can appreciate Richards/Hartnell and Pronger more than I do now...they did whatever it took to win for their team...they play a lot like the team that we cheer for...
    I was cheering for philly once they bumped us out...

Mike Richards is the new mark messier in my eyes...he is what a captain should be...wish our big dumby played with a fraction of his heart