COACH OR TOP SCORER?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

COACH OR TOP SCORER?

If one has to go who would you pick? and why?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: COACH OR TOP SCORER?

to broad of a question.. hockey 101 you should know that, are we talking a sure fire hall of famer (ovechkin/crosby) and just some coach, or some primonda player who really hasnt proven anything and a coach whose team has shown constant improvement since he took over??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

I've never liked Julien.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Julien is great if you like boring grind it out defense.

I have spoken against Julien before, however he has done what he has to do to succeed with a team that does not have a bonafide "big gun".

Julien is the right coach for the Bruins at this time. He would not have been a good coach during the Orr/Esposito/Bucyk/Hodge/Stanfield era of the late 60's early 70's. That team was the original run and gun offense and "we don't give a damn about defense because our guys always have the puck anyway." style of hockey,  a style that Edmonton copied to perfection in the 80's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Martin or Kamalleri?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

The Bs blew it losing Kessel.They also blew any chance of having some Talent worth the ticket prices.ZILLAGOD,you bring up a good point in the free wheeling 70 Bruins they had muscle and skill.Hey did Espo backcheck? He should have never seen any playoff ice and should have been benched.Sorry Espo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

You mean the bruins teams in the 70's with Bobby Orr averaging almost 2 points per game and finishing seasons +134, having the top offense in the east, and one of the top defenses?...those teams? Didn't the bruins do that last year??

And I mean when it comes down to a player, or the coach, its almost always the player, Heatley is a better player then kessel and he found himself out of ottawa, wasnt a cap casualty, didn't want to buy into the system thats fine but he wasn't bigger then the team, Ovie and Kovalchuk may be the only guys good enough to win that if push came to shove (well I mean crosby too, just think he is enough of a leader to set the example)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

In Response to Re: COACH OR TOP SCORER?:
    You mean the bruins teams in the 70's with Bobby Orr averaging almost 2 points per game and finishing seasons +134, having the top offense in the east, and one of the top defenses?...those teams? Didn't the bruins do that last year?? And I mean when it comes down to a player, or the coach, its almost always the player, Heatley is a better player then kessel and he found himself out of ottawa, wasnt a cap casualty, didn't want to buy into the system thats fine but he wasn't bigger then the team, Ovie and Kovalchuk may be the only guys good enough to win that if push came to shove (well I mean crosby too, just think he is enough of a leader to set the example)
    Posted by rolerhoky19
         Buy into the SYSTEM? Come playoff time I hope its a complete system with a forward and reverse and not just a neutral.Neutral never gets you to any destination.Sometimes the scenery can be nice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The Bs blew it losing Kessel.They also blew any chance of having some Talent worth the ticket prices.ZILLAGOD,you bring up a good point in the free wheeling 70 Bruins they had muscle and skill.Hey did Espo backcheck? He should have never seen any playoff ice and should have been benched.Sorry Espo.
    Posted by hockey-101

Esposito did backcheck. He was one of the best penalty killers I have ever seen, the man was a slow skater and would have trouble keeping up today, but he was tenacious ,strong in front of the net, and simply had the will to win at any cost ( see the Canada/Russian Summit series of 1972 in which Phil Esposito carried the team to victory on his back). He often logged 5 minute shifts and would not quit...ever!!! He could switch hands and shoot the puck righty or lefty on breakaways. 

The man was simply amazing and if not for the fact that he was over shadowed by the greatest offensive talent to ever play the game ( sorry Gretzky , not you) , Bobby Orr,  he would be considered a living legend.

My life would be incomplete if I had never seen Phil Esposito play hockey or speak to the Canadian people when Team Canada was getting beat by the Russians in 1972 ( one of the greatest speeches ever). He simply would not allow it to happen and Canada eventually prevailed because of Phil Esposito and a little known player named Paul Henderson rallied the Canadians to victory in the most hostile of environments ( THE U.S.S.R.).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I rather liked Brad Park and Jean Ratelle. I thought that was one of the few good things that Harry did in Boston beside the fleecing of Vancouver for Neely and Wesley for 3 #1s.

I don't know about getting rid of Julien, not so wild about Harry used to get rid of good coaches Bowness and Sutter, to keep Kessel but Kovalchuk ? It would be Ilya over Julien anyday. Keep Kessel minus Rask, Lucic and possibly Wheeler...

Julien did upset me with the line rollouts late in game 7 of the canes series top 2 line should of been doublle shifted.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

Espo,A great  defensive,player?.The guy never had to backcheck.If he ever did, he would not have been able to keep up with orr.The league had many 7-1 blowouts.These guys, ESPO piled up the easy points.Gretsky even admitted this into the early 80s.Stop selling you BS ZILLAGOD.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

What do you mean "it's always the player?"  Please.  Coaches get cashiered like coupons at KMart because their top players decide they're going to sulk.  In all of sport, this is the most sissified, infantile behaviour but it works every time.  They call it "tuning out the coach" but they should call it having a good cry.

Heatley, like Kessel, decided it was more important for him to play the way he wanted to than for the team to succeed.  When he was playing 20+ minutes and the Senioritas were losing hand over fist, he didn't have a problem playing in Ottawa.  When they started winning because the rest of the team grew a pair, he didn't like having his role diminished.  So he asked out.  That team is still playing better without him no matter what you'd think if you saw the roster on paper.

Similarly, Kessel would never be playing the way he's playing now in Boston.  I'm impressed at how well he's played - and I often found him the most frustrating, spastic player.  All flash and dash, no smash and not enough cash to justify his freelancing.  If he was under contract at $4.5M, I'd still have dealt him if Toronto offered me the package Chiarelli got.  I don't think he's a winner.  I think he's a player who thrives on the 29th team in the NHL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

What do you mean "it's always the player?"  Please.  Coaches get cashiered like coupons at KMart because their top players decide they're going to sulk.  In all of sport, this is the most sissified, infantile behaviour but it works every time.  They call it "tuning out the coach" but they should call it having a good cry. Heatley, like Kessel, decided it was more important for him to play the way he wanted to than for the team to succeed.  When he was playing 20+ minutes and the Senioritas were losing hand over fist, he didn't have a problem playing in Ottawa.  When they started winning because the rest of the team grew a pair, he didn't like having his role diminished.  So he asked out.  That team is still playing better without him no matter what you'd think if you saw the roster on paper. Similarly, Kessel would never be playing the way he's playing now in Boston.  I'm impressed at how well he's played - and I often found him the most frustrating, spastic player.  All flash and dash, no smash and not enough cash to justify his freelancing.  If he was under contract at $4.5M, I'd still have dealt him if Toronto offered me the package Chiarelli got.  I don't think he's a winner.  I think he's a player who thrives on the 29thm in the NHL.
    Posted by Bookboy007
         To thrive  on a 29th team in the NHL sounds pretty dam good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

I remember Millbury 26 over the summer on this board.Well your hero the real milbury just said on NESN Kessel left because he did not want to be disaplined.Hey mike,sorry you never had any real talent.Truth hurts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snags87. Show snags87's posts

milbury had talent! noone else in the NHL could beat a man with his own loafer like he could haha...but seriously i love the random things that come outta his mouth

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rescue13457. Show rescue13457's posts

In Response to COACH OR TOP SCORER?:
                      If one has to go who would you pick? and why?
    Posted by hockey-101

The Bruins need to dump Tim Thomas as soon as possible. Hes the worst goalie in the NHL right now. Hes always out of position flopping around, he fights the puck,m lets soft shots get by him, hes just plain awful. We need Rask behind the pipes and this team will gell. Trade Thomas to Carolina for Eric Cole.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rescue13457. Show rescue13457's posts

I am a true Black and Goldd fan. I have been loyal to my BRUINS since 1967. Its been hard seeing I live in south Florida. Several times in the winter I come here and go to numerous games. I have seen them live play the Devils, Ottawa, Tampa, and now traveled to Montreal to see the worst game I ever saw. I have tickets ...also for Toronto then I will travel to Buffalo to Ovie on the 9th. My big question and please answer me honestly. The games I have seen Thomas he is just awful, he fights the puck, hes always out of postion, he constantly muffs the puck, he lets in soft shots. I want them to win the CUP so bad, more than anyone else!!!! That will never happen with Thomas in the pipes. RASK is so awsome and young and he is our future. Please true fane lets get behind RASK and lets blog the B's managemnet to trade Thomas while we can get a good forward for him.See More

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from east-westBsfan. Show east-westBsfan's posts

I am a true Black and Goldd fan. I have been loyal to my BRUINS since 1967. Its been hard seeing I live in south Florida. Several times in the winter I come here and go to numerous games. I have seen them live play the Devils, Ottawa, Tampa, and now traveled to Montreal to see the worst game I ever saw. I have tickets ... also for Toronto then I will travel to Buffalo to Ovie on the 9th. My big question and please answer me honestly. The games I have seen Thomas he is just awful, he fights the puck, hes always out of postion, he constantly muffs the puck, he lets in soft shots. I want them to win the CUP so bad, more than anyone else!!!! That will never happen with Thomas in the pipes. RASK is so awsome and young and he is our future. Please true fane lets get behind RASK and lets blog the B's managemnet to trade Thomas while we can get a good forward for him. See More
    Posted by rescue13457

I've read this somewhere before!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

If you get rid of Julien, you might just get someone loads worse.

If you get Ovechkin on this team, he'll stop scoring because Julien will make him play a new game.

After last night there are 2 possibilities: Either I am seeing things clearly for once, or I'm blinded by despair. It seems to me we're doomed. No way this team could ever get past round 2.

Tonight's game against Toronto will be acid on our wounds as we watch Kessel fly around, reminding us of that ONE good year we had.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to tell the jacobs family that they can take their $300 seats and shove them deeply up their own anuses.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: COACH OR TOP SCORER? :      To thrive  on a 29th team in the NHL sounds pretty dam good.
    Posted by hockey-101

Then you've missed the point.  Guys like Kessel aren't made accountable on bad teams, so they can freelance and plan an individualistic game, and they're never asked to do the little things because the talent level around them is so low.  They get to be selfish just to put butts in seats.  But you don't win with players who aren't accountable, so the production of this kind of player drops in proportion to the success of the team.  The better the team, the more they struggle and sulk because they're now asked to live up to the same standard as the rest of the team.  If you want to watch that kind of player because you'd rather see highlight reel goals, even though it probably means entertaining losses, then be my guest.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

In Response to Re: COACH OR TOP SCORER? : Then you've missed the point.  Guys like Kessel aren't made accountable on bad teams, so they can freelance and plan an individualistic game, and they're never asked to do the little things because the talent level around them is so low.  They get to be selfish just to put butts in seats.  But you don't win with players who aren't accountable, so the production of this kind of player drops in proportion to the success of the team.  The better the team, the more they struggle and sulk because they're now asked to live up to the same standard as the rest of the team.  If you want to watch that kind of player because you'd rather see highlight reel goals, even though it probably means entertaining losses, then be my guest.
    Posted by Bookboy007
          Sounds like your saying he is a 1 man show in Toronto? My point is to be a 1 man show and score goals in todays NHL is pretty dam good.Imagine how many goals he could score with more support.They are looking for a playmaker for him.You were probably one of the people that said hed be nothing without Savard in July.December is here and scoring a ton,live with it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: COACH OR TOP SCORER? : Then you've missed the point.  Guys like Kessel aren't made accountable on bad teams, so they can freelance and plan an individualistic game, and they're never asked to do the little things because the talent level around them is so low.  They get to be selfish just to put butts in seats.  But you don't win with players who aren't accountable, so the production of this kind of player drops in proportion to the success of the team.  The better the team, the more they struggle and sulk because they're now asked to live up to the same standard as the rest of the team.  If you want to watch that kind of player because you'd rather see highlight reel goals, even though it probably means entertaining losses, then be my guest.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Let me add to that, it appears that Kessel is picking up on the weaknesses in his game in Toronto.  So it appears to me that he's doing things not when he is told to do them, but because he wants to.

He is not big on off season training or the weight room.  The readers who are a little older might know that once you start getting older, the weight goes on easier and you can't rely on your natural speed and strength, but you have to work at it.  Again, if Kessel starts doing that stuff NOW and not when the natural speed starts to decline, he could be one of the game's greats.

Again he does things when he feels like it and not when he's told to do it.  You can do that on a team that's not doing that well and when you are one of the best players on the team.

Famous famous quote about Kessel before he turned pro.  He missed a back check and the guy scored, when the coach pointed it out to him he said 'so what?  I'll go out and score one on my next shift'.  And he did.  I think if you like that, then you like Kessel and that's what you want to watch.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Espo,A great  defensive,player?.The guy never had to backcheck.If he ever did, he would not have been able to keep up with orr.The league had many 7-1 blowouts.These guys, ESPO piled up the easy points.Gretsky even admitted this into the early 80s.Stop selling you BS ZILLAGOD.
    Posted by hockey-101

You idiot, I didn't say "great defensive player", you are reading words I did not type.

Esposito backchecked more than Gretzky and Jari Kurri ever did. He was a big guy and strong as an ox. He was bigger than alot of the defensemen in those days. His goals were not pretty goals, he worked hard taking crosschecks and slashes in front of the net. His specialty was offense , but he did not ignore defense , he was an elite faceoff man and he killed penalties , he blocked shots and he went into the corners.

He couldn't keep up with Orr in a race as I said, he was a slow skater. If you are too young to have been there, watch old video, the game was much slower in the 70's , many more whistles, scrums in the corners. There were some super fast skaters , but they were not necessarily the big stars. The game is all based on speed and quickness today and has been for some time, but in the 70's when Esposito was at his peak, the game was based on strength, toughness in the corners, smarts and hanging around the crease waiting for rebounds.

I watched thousands of games in those days, it was a totally different game, won by teams with tough, hard nosed players and intimidation( that's why the Flyers were so good) , today's NHL is like Sunday school compared to those old Flyers/Bruins games of the mid 70's when players sometimes racked up 100 minutes in penalties in a single game, benchs cleared multiple times and the penalty boxes were so full they had to send guys to the runway or the locker room because there was not enough space.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

coach or top scorer?
    Like it or not, this is a defensive team.  The strengths of this team are in goal and on defense and NOT the forwards.
    You need a defensive coach for that and CJ is probably the best for the job unless you get whatsisname out of NJ.

Sections
Shortcuts