COACH OR TOP SCORER?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Re: COACH OR TOP SCORER?

Anybody who puts Byron Bitz on the first line and P.J. Axellson out for shoot outs needs to go.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

We can use the local Celtics as a proven point for this argument. Don't get me wrong, I HATE basketball and 90% of the players.

But, Doc Rivers was on his way out, the Celts stunk. The go out and buy Garnett and Allen and Rivers becomes a great coach.

The coach can only add about 5% to a team. The team needs skill and character, expecially in hockey. If he doesn't have those ingredients, he can't win.

So, get a SCORER!  If they change a coach, we are back to square one AGAIN.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This used to be a thinly veiled pro-Kessel thread, so I'm glad brent brought it back home. The premise was based on a conflict between a prima dona and a coach, and Kessel's showing just how well catering to the prima dona works.  Coach killer.

bluefox, I think that percentage might work in basketball but not in hockey.  Look at the difference switching out Lewis for Julien made.  Better yet, look at the change in Pittsburgh last year when they cashiered Therrien for a guy no one had heard of.  I've always thought the balance of structure and flow in basketball mirrored hockey pretty well, but the big difference is the size of the roster and time on the ice/floor for the top players.  Structure's much more important when you're trying to build a rapport among 20 guys.

Wensink, I'd agree on Bitz, but Ax was sometimes surprising in the shootout - and on breakaways.  I can think of at least one game where he scored the only goal of the shootout - a Bruins win over Ottawa.  Nothing wrong with a coach playing a hunch.  Having Ax on the PP was harder to fathom, but even then, what difference would it have made last year?  No playoff points for finishing even farther ahead of the pack.  And wasn't that little experiment done by the playoffs?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Yep -good point  -How'd that "system" thing work out in Montreal and Jersey?

Personally, I trust Lou Lamoriello's judgement -

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

You like Lamoriello's judgement?

Which time?

When he hired him?

Or when he fired him?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Rumour has it that Lou fired CJ for non-hockey reasons....

Sections
Shortcuts