Columbus coach Ken Hitchcock speaks out about Kessel.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Re: Columbus coach Ken Hitchcock speaks out about Kessel.

I think you should be spending your time on Joe Thornten. He is leading the league in points

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic1. Show Olsonic1's posts

In Response to Re: Columbus coach Ken Hitchcock speaks out about Kessel.:
    [QUOTE]I think you should be spending your time on Joe Thornten. He is leading the league in points
    Posted by crono420[/QUOTE]

Don't remind us!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Ive said it a million times, but Kessel is a premier goal scorer in the league..and will be for many years. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesnt watch enough hockey.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FredFromNH. Show FredFromNH's posts

[QUOTE]Ive said it a million times, but Kessel is a premier goal scorer in the league..and will be for many years. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesnt watch enough hockey.
    Posted by dhitch[/QUOTE]

You're right on the money my friend. These so called fans on here who get off on trashing Kessel are only doing so because they are extremely mad the Bruins wouldn't pay him and are taking it out on Kessel.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neely20005. Show Neely20005's posts

This whole thing was clearly about the money and I believe Kessel. Chiarelli and or Jacobs would not pony up the money for Kessel and now Phil is tearing it up with a division rival and Kessel and will be for the next 5 years while we are stuck with mediocre and underwhelming $4 million a year guys like Ryder, Sturm, & Wideman.

Boston's last contract offer, confirmed by all sides, was $16 million over four years, a carbon copy of the deal Jordan Staal signed in Pittsburgh. The answer was "no thanks," and by then it was clear Kessel was on his way out. But where exactly?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

There is no doubt he is a good offensive player, but how much is a one dimensional player worth?

B,s did the right thing, he did not wan to play in Boston anyway!

Let it go...it s not like they got not nothing for him!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

So where was he tonight?  7-2 Bruins win and Kessel doesn't show up on the scoreboard.

Not showing up for the big games?

No backchecking?

Curl and drag and that's all?

Yah, great watching all those goals against non playoff teams. 

You just keep watching him, enjoy.   I SURE DID.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The funniest thing about this is that Hitch would staple Kessel's butt to the bench daily if he played for him.

dhitch, I've said this almost as often as you've given your pitch - Kessel does a couple of things incredibly well, and against teams that don't have top quality D, he'll always get his goals.  But the contenders will always have at least one D pairing that shut down the curl and drag, the inside-outside speed rush, the walk-off-the-wall wrister from the bottom of the circle, and the mid-range snapper through the D's legs.  If he had the commitment to do what Bergeron did last night - go end to end and right down the lane between the circles - he'd be great.  He doesn't.  And I don't see it ever changing.  You don't win games that matter relying on a guy like Kessel to score.

I will give him this though - he has an odd ability to tally against Detroit despite Lidstrom.  I'm guessing it has more to do with the ability of Detroit's goaltending to stop accurate, but ultimately routine, shots.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

And it was Constantin, a former NHL coach who said that Zach Hamill would be playing in the NHL for sure once he left juniors.

Another NHL coach - Steve Kaspar - benched CAM NEELY.

Another NHL coach - Dave Lewis - I can't even begin to list how big an idiot he was, most bench penalties in the league, stupid drills, the list goes on forever.

So fundamentally, your arguement is that
    IF an NHL coach says it, it must be true?
    Maybe you should rethink that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Bottom line is we need the type of goal production Kessel brings. Any Bruins fan who thinks the team as it is right now can win the Cup is deluding himself.

IF PC can pull off the deadline-deal trade of a lifetime for just the right elite sniper by dangling those Toronto/Kess picks, then maybe the B's have a shot. If, as I suspect, PC holds onto those picks and goes into the playoffs with the Bruins' usual "we're confident in the team we have" mode, the B's will be out by Round 2 and we'll all HOPE we get a great pick in the draft next year and then 3 years down the line THAT player will demand more $$$ and be driven out of town and the nightmare (no Cup in Beantown) begins anew.

It's all in PC and JJ's hands now: Go for broke this year--show the fans you're willing to roll the dice to win NOW--and that the Kessel trade was worth it...otherwise it's just more of the same 'wait til next year" Bruins.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCan. Show BruinsCan's posts

I don't think it's as much about Kessel being great or not.  
    The Bruins style and identity and a player like Kessel isn't a perfect fit for either sides.  Kessel will continue to excel in Toronto, and it's pretty clear Toronto wins this trade right now.    
    Two first round picks is a huge payment for him, right now next years pick looks like either a first or second overal pick.  Take a look at some of the players that have gone top five over the last few years.  I'm pretty sure, either through the draft or trading one pick, the Bruins will be looking for a player that can be that high scoring winger that will fit the Bruins style and identity more the Kessel could.  
    Oh, and just a little sidenote.  Wheeler so far through his first season and partially through his second season, has out scored Kessel.  Now before I get jumped on for that, I am not suggesting Wheeler will be a fifty goal scorer.  But he brings so much as an overal player and is on track to being a great top 6 player.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Bottom line is we need the type of goal production Kessel brings. Any Bruins fan who thinks the team as it is right now can win the Cup is deluding himself. IF PC can pull off the deadline-deal trade of a lifetime for just the right elite sniper by dangling those Toronto/Kess picks, then maybe the B's have a shot. If, as I suspect, PC holds onto those picks and goes into the playoffs with the Bruins' usual "we're confident in the team we have" mode, the B's will be out by Round 2 and we'll all HOPE we get a great pick in the draft next year and then 3 years down the line THAT player will demand more $$$ and be driven out of town and the nightmare (no Cup in Beantown) begins anew. It's all in PC and JJ's hands now: Go for broke this year--show the fans you're willing to roll the dice to win NOW--and that the Kessel trade was worth it...otherwise it's just more of the same 'wait til next year" Bruins.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

You are right, but recognize exactly what you said "roll the dice to win NOW".

That's a question I think you could debate forever.  It could go bad or good either way.

1) They trade the picks for let's say (picking a name out of the air) for somebody like Kovalchuck.  Then what?
    a) They win the Cup, everybody goes home happy.  He resigns for 50 mil for a 50 year contract.  Dynasty. Everybody lives happily ever after.
    b) Kovalchuck decides to go back to Russia, like that Russian guy they had who got nailed for smoking dope - and who's now tearing up the league in Russia. 
    c) Or any of the million other ways a top rank sniper can disappear on you.  Then we're stuck with mediocrity for another few decades.

2) They keep the picks.
    a) So we're out in the second or third round.  I get called a blind sheep.  The next year Hall or Seguin are the greatest thing since Mario Lemieux.  Then we win the Cup.  Everybody goes home happy.  The guy signs for 50 mil for 50 years.  Dynasty.  Everybody lives happily ever after.
    b) Same story, except the draft pick turns out to be a bust.  We're stuck with mediocrity for years.

You have to make an intelligent gamble here. 

If you pull a trade, it must be close to the deadline so you can evaluate the team for the playoffs and get whoever depending whether everyone's healthy or not.

Weigh that against how the Leafs are doing at that time.

So I don't think it is so simple.

What I want to see is an investment in the scouting staff because we all know that some drafts are stronger than others.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think it's as much about Kessel being great or not.   The Bruins style and identity and a player like Kessel isn't a perfect fit for either sides.  Kessel will continue to excel in Toronto, and it's pretty clear Toronto wins this trade right now.     Two first round picks is a huge payment for him, right now next years pick looks like either a first or second overal pick.  Take a look at some of the players that have gone top five over the last few years.  I'm pretty sure, either through the draft or trading one pick, the Bruins will be looking for a player that can be that high scoring winger that will fit the Bruins style and identity more the Kessel could.   Oh, and just a little sidenote.  Wheeler so far through his first season and partially through his second season, has out scored Kessel.  Now before I get jumped on for that, I am not suggesting Wheeler will be a fifty goal scorer.  But he brings so much as an overal player and is on track to being a great top 6 player.
    Posted by BruinsCan[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that about Wheeler, it's a cool stat, but I agree with you, I don't think he can be a 50 goal scorer either.

The Bruins draft policy has been to draft the best player available.  Kessel is a rare case, the last guy I can think of with the same forecast was Lindros.  The book has been the same since day 1, great talent, bad attitude.  Kessel needs to grow up and accept responsibility on the ice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That's an interesting thought - compare Kessel and Lindros.  Superficially?  Lindros was supposed to be the Man-Child, the heir to Gretzky and Lemieux.  Kessel was supposed to be the American Sidney Crosby....

The negative pub. on Lindros had almost everything to do with Quebec and his attempting to control who drafted him.  Kessel's knock was intelligence, personality, and potentially "character" meaning he was hitting the bars....

Ultimately, half the world reached out for Lindros figuring his power play was a business-side problem they could handle.  Four teams passed on Kessel - just months after he was considered a contender for #1 overall - and only one team in the league was willing to step up and pay him big $$ for him after 3 years exp.

Biggest thing for Kessel will be how he handles Toronto when they expect him to lead them to the promised land.  That could start sooner than later if Burke is forced to can Wilson for a more structured, systems coach or if Burke himself is canned before Kessels contract ends.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]That's an interesting thought - compare Kessel and Lindros.  Superficially?  Lindros was supposed to be the Man-Child, the heir to Gretzky and Lemieux.  Kessel was supposed to be the American Sidney Crosby.... The negative pub. on Lindros had almost everything to do with Quebec and his attempting to control who drafted him.  Kessel's knock was intelligence, personality, and potentially "character" meaning he was hitting the bars.... Ultimately, half the world reached out for Lindros figuring his power play was a business-side problem they could handle.  Four teams passed on Kessel - just months after he was considered a contender for #1 overall - and only one team in the league was willing to step up and pay him big $$ for him after 3 years exp. Biggest thing for Kessel will be how he handles Toronto when they expect him to lead them to the promised land.  That could start sooner than later if Burke is forced to can Wilson for a more structured, systems coach or if Burke himself is canned before Kessels contract ends.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Yes, admittedly a stretch, just superficially.

If I were a Leafs fan, I'd be pretty ticked off about PK just mailing it in last night.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Thinking about it, Kessel *should* be Yvan Cournoyer all over again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

BadHabitude--

I'll take any of your scenarios that result in a CUP. That's all I want....to see the bruins win one Stanley Cup before I kick off. it's gotten to pre-2004 Red Soxian desperation level at this point, no?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]BadHabitude-- I'll take any of your scenarios that result in a CUP. That's all I want....to see the bruins win one Stanley Cup before I kick off. it's gotten to pre-2004 Red Soxian desperation level at this point, no?
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

I hear that.  And emotionally, I agree 100%.  Trade our next 50 first round picks if that's what it takes!  But that's a gambler's fallacy - the belief that you're due because you've been losing so long.  Rationally, though, like BH says, there are so many variables involved that you never know which route is more likely to pay off.  All it takes to see the gamble go for nothing is one lost edge that sends the superstar you acquire ribs first in the post a la The Problem.  Then your left holding squat. 

I still say the game isn't who you get, it's how many valuable assets you can collect, sign, develop, and deal for upgrades.  You need a critical mass so that you have both depth and a stream of guys looking to prove themselves and keep their role in the lineup.  I think Savard and Bergeron have started to push each other just by their play, and the time will come when Krejci will have to live up to that standard too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from T00fresh. Show T00fresh's posts

just an interesting point made on cbc, kessel took less money to go to toronto instead of nashville who was offering the same deal and same offer to the bruins because tennessee has no state tax. but he would have to play in nashville

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Hitchcock was not speaking of his defense only his offense.  Kessel was worthy keeping... but as many have said "he did not want to play on the Bruins team".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from The_Usual_softy. Show The_Usual_softy's posts

One guy can't win a Stanley Cup alone. Kessel didn't want to play in Boston. He didn't ask for a trade but refusing a 4 years/16 millions offer as your second contract is an admission by his own...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think PC and Julien know they can't win the cup with this team. Accumulation of all these picks, plus good developing prospects and Ference most likely being dealt to give Boychuk more valuable time will be used to get a true sniper.

I know it's only 1.4Mil off the cap space for Andrew but every bit helps. I really think Wideman or Ryder would need to be moved to rent that Sniper.

As far as Kessel Hitchcock is right Phil is good but he wants to play a certain style that doesn't suit the current Bruins coaching style. Kessel showed last night why there was concern about his game he wanted nothing to do with going into the corners and work for pucks. Kessel not being here will not make the Bruins miss a cup run.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FairbankAK. Show FairbankAK's posts

Hitchcock would have queeny kessel figure skate all night ?
    give me a break ! Hitchcock is worse than Julien , kessel would have begged out of his dog house.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Kessel guarantees the other teams scores more than your team. He is the reason TO will stink for years and the reason why Boston didn't win the cup last year.

Adios!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Wait a second, just realized something really obvious.  One of the SIX players in the league ?????

Come on now, one of the SIX players in the league????

Let's see...  ok, my list goes (in no particular order)...  Crosby, Ovechkin, Thornton, Iginla, Kovalchuck and...    Kessel??????????  Are you kidding me???

Ken Hitchcock has a different perspective on this than I do, or he's talking about something else entirely.  And reviewing film on Kessel, he's one of the most predictable players in the league, reminds me a lot of Samsonov.  Not that he's very good at what he does, it is that he does the same thing every time.