Cool story about Savvy's interactions with his fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JPinNH. Show JPinNH's posts

Cool story about Savvy's interactions with his fans

http://www.backyard-hockey.com/2010/05/06/marc-savard-stick-pic-not-surprising/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: Cool story about Savvy's interactions with his fans

Thats a very nice story, thx for sharing it with us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Shamelss Plug!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JPinNH. Show JPinNH's posts

*ignore bradybruin*

Hey, I finally have a post that is relevant to this audience :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

A "shameless plug" for what BB, uncommon decency?  Nitwit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from whitbomb. Show whitbomb's posts

Good story, Thanks JPinNH

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JPinNH. Show JPinNH's posts

In Response to Re: Cool story about Savvy's interactions with his fans:
    A "shameless plug" for what BB, uncommon decency?  Nitwit.
    Posted by BruinsCountry

No worries, BB was just busting my balls because backyard-hockey.com is my website and I didn't disclose that in my original post. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFaninOntario. Show BruinsFaninOntario's posts

A great player and a classy person. Glad we have him on our team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanuckBruin. Show CanuckBruin's posts

great story.

Man, I love the "ignore" button.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Wow - it was a joke Nitwit! Thats my nephew in the picture (The one below, not the one getting the stick!!!)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Wow - it was a joke Nitwit! Thats my nephew in the picture (The one below, not the one getting the stick!!!)
    Posted by BradyBruin

Now how the he[[ would I know that?  Nitwit, LOL!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Linkie no workie.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JPinNH. Show JPinNH's posts

Might have been a server blip, works now. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Neat story. 

The only issue I have with it is the fact that it starts off by touting the handing of a souvenir stick to a young fan as something unusual.  It has become quite commonplace in the NHL.  In most arenas, the home team players who make that game's "three stars" come out with a wooden souvenir stick and hand or toss it to a fan.  Usually the stick is given to a child. 

In reality, the passing of the stick to a fan is good PR.  Most, if not all NHL teams have recognized that fact, and have incorporated it into the end-of-game ceremonies.  That said, I am sure that Savvy loves kids, and was happy to pass the stick to the lucky youngster.  It just seems to me that a less scripted moment might have made a better starting point for the story. 

Again, I liked the story, and don't want to come off as nitpicky.  Just sharing a little constructive criticism. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lostinbaltimore. Show lostinbaltimore's posts

JPinNH,

Nice story, hopefully your son will remember it forever the way I remember meeting Bobby Orr at Eddie Johnson's farewell party in 1973. I was 12 and my father paid $50.00 ticket to go to the party. After everyone eat they let me go to the head table and meet the team. I was around the team for a while and they finally sent me back to my table. Fast forward 18 years later in the financial district of Boston with a suit & tie on and I meet Bobby again. I tell him about that story and before I finish he say's you weren't the young boy were you. So you see we all have encounters that last for life. I hope you enjoyed mine as much as I enjoyed yours.

Same goes for Brooks Robinson a true gentlemen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JPinNH. Show JPinNH's posts

Neat story.  The only issue I have with it is the fact that it starts off by touting the handing of a souvenir stick to a young fan as something unusual.  It has become quite commonplace in the NHL.  In most arenas, the home team players who make that game's "three stars" come out with a wooden souvenir stick and hand or toss it to a fan.  Usually the stick is given to a child.  In reality, the passing of the stick to a fan is good PR.  Most, if not all NHL teams have recognized that fact, and have incorporated it into the end-of-game ceremonies.  That said, I am sure that Savvy loves kids, and was happy to pass the stick to the lucky youngster.  It just seems to me that a less scripted moment might have made a better starting point for the story.  Again, I liked the story, and don't want to come off as nitpicky.  Just sharing a little constructive criticism. 
    Posted by Mutant211

I appreciate the feedback.  Truth be told, I first saw this image on Puck Daddy's blog, and without looking closely, I think everyone (even on that blog) assumed that he was giving away the stick he used to score the OT goal.  Most of the Game 1 news articles even referenced the stick-throwing as part of the celebration, and included the bit about how when Savvy came back out, his stick was somehow back on the ice.  But I wrote 90% of that post thinking it was HIS stick he was handing off.  Only towards the end did I look closer and realize that it was one of the souvenir sticks that the B's provide to the 3 stars.  Not only that, if you look closely, it's a RIGHTY!  Duh to me.  So I edited the paragraph directly under the photo, removing references to it being HIS stick.  That said, I still think he's a great guy and a class act with his fans.  It just loses a bit of coolness that he wasn't giving away the goal-scoring stick like I initially thought.

Sections
Shortcuts