Could the impossible happen? Could the Bruins trade Chara this summer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD. Show NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD's posts

Could the impossible happen? Could the Bruins trade Chara this summer?

I don't see Tim Thomas landing us a TRUE goal scorer (if they trade him) and Ryder obviously won't get us much more than a draft pick.

Chara has a contract situtation coming up and he could demand big time money. I think Chara deserves the money, however he is now 33 years old, so if he demands another 5 or 6 year deal, honestly I could see the Bruins trading Chara. Heres why:

Chara may be the only player that could land the Bruins a TRUE goal scorer or clear up cap space to sign a goal scorer. I also question his toughness and willingness to protect his teammates going forward. He has not been physical this year. here are potential deals that could benefit the bruins:

Bruins trade Chara to Red Wings for Henrik Zetteburg and 2nd Round Pick

A lot of this has to do with the situtation with Lidstrom. if he retires, then a HUGE hole will need to be filled and Chara fits that bill not only talent wise, but leadership wise. For the Bruins, Zetteburg only has 69 points this year, but we all know he has the potential to be a 100pt guy when fully healthy (missed 12 games this year I believe)

Bruins trade Chara and 2nd Round Pick to Sharks for Patrick Marleau and 1st Round pick (29th overall)

Rob Blake will be a free agent, and I don't see them resigning him. Chara gives them an upgrade and gives them a scary 1-2 punch on that blue line with Dan Boyle also on that line. For the Bruins, Marleau is a pure goal scorer and stablizes the wing position, which he can play (and play well)

Bruins trade Chara to Lightning for their 1st Round Pick (as of now 4th overall)

This is unlikely, but possible in my view because for Victor Hedman, it would be a blessing to be mentored by a great defenseman in Chara and learn from him, and it would be a really nice 1-2 punch for the short term, at least. For the Bruins, having two top five picks isn't a bad idea and they could draft say Taylor Hall and Cam Fowler which would help TREMENDOUSLY.

What do you guys think? Again, I love Chara and I hope they sign him to the right deal, but sometimes we have to make tough desicions like these IF it helps our hockey team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueEyedGuy. Show BlueEyedGuy's posts

Re: Could the impossible happen? Could the Bruins trade Chara this summer?

I don't see the Red Wings dealing Zetterberg no matter who is involved unless the Wings get exactly what they want for him.  Besides, are you aware of his contract? In the final year of his contract in 08-09, he signed a 12-year, $73 million contract extension with the Wings.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Trading Chara would be idiocy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

You are a dreamer in what you think Chara will bring.

Most contending teams are cap conscious.  Taking on a big contract in a potentially walk away scenario (1 year rental) is not a position of strength to deal from.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

If ever the bs wanna get anything from trading chara,,its before next season. Its most Bs fans opinion he is done and i agree, not to say he cant help some other team, but the bs need a new direction.As far as the bs trying to land kovi, forget it,,10 mil a yr is not woth what he offers or anyone else. Build within, add the odd free agent, 20 and up goalscores for a lot less, and Dmen like sodenberg,spelled wrong i know..seriously, the prospect of this team next year and beyond is the Bs future,

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

chara for mason raymond & alexander edler.....thomas for claude girioux.....ryder for a 3rd to dallas   sign boychuk & siedenberg 2010-2011  edler-siedenberg  wideman-ference  boychuk-stuart  raymond-girioux- krecji-bergeron-savard-lucic-wheeler-sobotka-paille-hall or seguin-colbourn-suave & a enforcer  thorthon?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBostonBruins. Show TheBostonBruins's posts

Trade Chara? Are you on f*cking crack?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Trade Chara?  Said what I've said a thousand times before and I'll say it again.

NO ONE is beyond trading, BUT IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU GET FOR HIM.

For the sake of argument say the Caps want to trade Ovie for Chara straight up, anybody NOT want to do that?

And until then, all you can do it speculate.  And I think 90% of this speculation is a huge waste of time.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

I say trade Thomas, Chara, Wideman, Ryder, Wheeler and Bergeron to Toronto straight-up for Phil Kessel. Solves all of the Bruins' problems at once: gets rid of underperforming and/or overpaid players in exchange for a guy who is bound to score at least 100 goals next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vilho. Show Vilho's posts

Chara's been good for years and he isn't having the year he had last year and there's a reason for it.  Just because he doesn't spell it out in a memo for everyone doesn't mean there isn't a very good reason for it.  Classy players like Chara won't sit there and make excuses for it and will take the criticism like he has...have you heard him complain even once in his time here?  This is why he's captain.  He's intelligent and works his butt off all season and especially offseason.  Which is to say he's gonna be around the NHL for a long time performing at a high level for a long time and I guarantee you this, Chiarelli's going to resign him this offseason to a cap friendlier extension and we're better for it.  He may not have as flashy stats as some guys THIS year, but be happy you have him.  The only way we get anyone to replace what he brings to the table is if we draft a stud and take the time to bring him up.  Until then, he'll be here.  And I bet you Wideman is here for the long haul as well and personally I'm okay with that too.

It's hard to be an actual bruins FAN on this board and have your players backs.  Too many short term fair weather critics around here and the guys who put together thought out posts and not just post game rants about dudes have my respect...not that anyone cares.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from macdogcharm. Show macdogcharm's posts

felixwas...and still is a moron

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Chara is a stud! He plays monster minutes every night against the other team's best players. He plays through injury (ex... his finger all season long and more recently a broken nose.) He's on the PP and PK teams and his plus/minus is good AND he's playing on the team with the fewest goals in the league. He will remain a first line D man for years to come and yet you think he is overpaid?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Chara is not the problem - Chara's contract is.
    7.5 million for a defenceman on a team desperate for offence doesn't work.
    Unless getting to rd. 2 is your ultimate goal. Check the record-

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

your list is bulls....I would never trade Chara for Gonchar or Lidstrom or Pronger or Streit .....Chara brings so much to the BRUINS if ever we trade him you'll see the GA go up....are you out of yourey C mind ??????????

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2010

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

No!
    His salary is what it is, worth every penny  a+19 on an offensively challenged team. Noone on the team is in better physical shape, give him the 30+ mins and let him play. He leads this team in assists and with a few more scorers his numbers would be more comparable. Replace him with a scorer it better be a 60 goal scorer to make up for the D loss.

The only D to replace him is Myers, a younger faster but not as physical replica.

Chara is the penultimate MONSTER!

He needs to stay, hopefully he will sign a Sav like contract.

On Felix he may be an idiot but he sure is a funny idiot whether he means to be or not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBasti. Show BBasti's posts

@ No4BobbyOrr-GOAT: i totally agree... i truely believe they'll re-sign chara early next season to a front loaded contract that gives chara the chance to finish his career in bosten... i think his cap hit will be something around 5 million... say seven years 7.5 / 7.5 / 7.5 / 7.5 / 3 / 1 / 1 ...smoething like that...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Could the impossible happen? Could the Bruins trade Chara this summer?:
    Chara's been good for years and he isn't having the year he had last year and there's a reason for it.  Just because he doesn't spell it out in a memo for everyone doesn't mean there isn't a very good reason for it.  Classy players like Chara won't sit there and make excuses for it and will take the criticism like he has...have you heard him complain even once in his time here?  This is why he's captain.  He's intelligent and works his butt off all season and especially offseason.  Which is to say he's gonna be around the NHL for a long time performing at a high level for a long time and I guarantee you this, Chiarelli's going to resign him this offseason to a cap friendlier extension and we're better for it.  He may not have as flashy stats as some guys THIS year, but be happy you have him.  The only way we get anyone to replace what he brings to the table is if we draft a stud and take the time to bring him up.  Until then, he'll be here.  And I bet you Wideman is here for the long haul as well and personally I'm okay with that too. It's hard to be an actual bruins FAN on this board and have your players backs.  Too many short term fair weather critics around here and the guys who put together thought out posts and not just post game rants about dudes have my respect...not that anyone cares.
    Posted by Vilho

Chara will demand big bucks, thats for sure.  I agree with the above post that his work ethic is beyond reproach, and he'll be a force for many years.  I try and stay away from trade talk, simply because us fans have simply no idea whatsoever, whose tradeable, and what the details are.
    Is he tradable, or anyone else?  I'd say sure.  Depends on a lot of things though. Things we can't even begin to make an educated guess on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The Bruins will probably re-sign Chara to a Savvy -like deal. They cannot afford not to. But, This year we have seen the Chara warts like misplaced passes; slower to react; beaten by fast wingers. Peter could do the team a favor by trading Chara and rebuilding with faster, more agile good sized defensemen like Nashville has accumulated. Not an easy task, but, considering the speed of the game, and the crackdown on interference type penalties, speed plus size plus smarts ala Ray Bourque would be fun to watch.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

mitchco98

The only D I would trade Chara for on your list is Tyler Myers...

a Defenseman like Chara is rare ...you have one every 10 years ....We once had Bobby Orr , Ray Bourque and now it is the CHARA ERA......and dont get me wrong I do not compare Chara to Bobby Orr (greatest hockey player of all time) but wht do you think they boo him in Montreal ???  Because he is intimidating and he bothers them .....Chara at his best has the same value than a Crosby or a Malkin

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2010

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In Response to Re: Could the impossible happen? Could the Bruins trade Chara this summer?:
    No way does this guy get over 7 mil in the open market. Dion Phaneuf is making 6.5 this year and 7 next year is 23 yrs old and this guy plays alot more physical than our big guy who will be almost 35 when his contract is up, still waiting to see a big hit were he lays someone out all I see is a long poke check because he is too slow. So all you Chara supporter who think the Lurch is worth the big bucks better get your head read. Like one GM said about one of his players during contract talks. If he thinks he is worth that much on the open market I will gladly drive him to the airport. Same should apply to Lurch if PC signs him no more than 4.5 for a 35 year old who`s best year are behind him.
    Posted by mitchco98

Please tell me you are joking.  Comparing one of the best defensive Dmen in the league to Dion the defensive liability Phaneuf.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wompton. Show wompton's posts

Don't forget Chara is +19 on a bad, at least very average squad.  That's with him playing against every teams first line and with an inept offense.  I say he should retire a bruin.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Chara will sign for alot less then you guys think. He will do the same thing Savard did. On one condition that the Bruins GM's and personel promise him that they will make some moves to provide more offense. One question I have is this: Why would you trade Chara, and not Wideman??? If anyone needs to be traded, its Wideman. Maybe a different place would be could for him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

No way does this guy get over 7 mil in the open market. Dion Phaneuf is making 6.5 this year and 7 next year is 23 yrs old and this guy plays alot more physical than our big guy who will be almost 35 when his contract is up, still waiting to see a big hit were he lays someone out all I see is a long poke check because he is too slow. So all you Chara supporter who think the Lurch is worth the big bucks better get your head read. Like one GM said about one of his players during contract talks. If he thinks he is worth that much on the open market I will gladly drive him to the airport. Same should apply to Lurch if PC signs him no more than 4.5 for a 35 year old who`s best year are behind him.
    Posted by mitchco98

Phaneuf - look at these numbers and tell me how this isn't a player in serious decline.
    http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=62548

You could say the dramatic decrease in numbers is because he's overworked on the Leafs and the team is horrible.

I'll even grant you that.

But that much?

55 games with Calgary and 10 goals.
    25 games with the Leafs and ONE goal??

And he's getting MORE penalty minutes??

Chara has 43 pts this year and Phaneuf 31.

Be real, comparing Chara and Phaneuf is really stretching it.

To be honest, I think they could spend the money better rather than on Chara, unless he grants a really cap friendly contract, but Phaneuf wouldn't be anywhere on the same planet as that conversation.

Sections
Shortcuts