Could the impossible happen? Could the Bruins trade Chara this summer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Re: Could the impossible happen? Could the Bruins trade Chara this summer?

In Response to Re: Could the impossible happen? Could the Bruins trade Chara this summer?:
    No! His salary is what it is, worth every penny  a+19 on an offensively challenged team. Noone on the team is in better physical shape, give him the 30+ mins and let him play. He leads this team in assists and with a few more scorers his numbers would be more comparable. Replace him with a scorer it better be a 60 goal scorer to make up for the D loss. The only D to replace him is Myers, a younger faster but not as physical replica. Chara is the penultimate MONSTER! He needs to stay, hopefully he will sign a Sav like contract. On Felix he may be an idiot but he sure is a funny idiot whether he means to be or not.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

I'm still trying to invent the emoticon to depict irony. Speaking literally, though, I'm glad you found the humor in my remarks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

/He needs to stay, hopefully he will sign a Sav like contract.//

This will be the key will Big Z and his agent be willing to take a Savard esq contract ? We shall see if he doesn't PC will have his hand forced doubtful he'll be able to fleece another GM ala Burke/Kessel situation.

33 years old and last year of a contract would hinder what Chiarelli could get back so let's hope a deal can be struck. Good thing for Bruins fans is PC has 32Mil in the summer of 2011 for Bergeron, Chara and free agents. Ryder and Sturm gone!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

At his age, Chara won't get as much money on his next and last contract, so no need to worry about him "holding up" the Bruins.  Having said that, with one year left on his contract here, if the B's could get a good young D and a #1 for Chara (from someone like Chicago who has lots of good D in their primes), I might be tempted to take such a deal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

In Response to Re: Could the impossible happen? Could the Bruins trade Chara this summer?:
    felixwas...and still is a moron
    Posted by macdogcharm

Looks like the irony beat you five-hole. At least your response avoided the simple-minded ploy of resorting to argumentum ad hominem.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

Over paid, Over rated, over acheived last. Look at this list. He is the second highest paid Defenman on this list of top 15, he is 15th. All these guys a lugging close to 25 mins a game. This is a no brainer trade him ASAP. Hopefully someone steps up to the plate and makes a move.
    Posted by mitchco98

He is the highest-paid defenseman on your list. And I agree with you, he's overrated and overpaid, and that's exactly why no other team will trade for him. Chara has too many holes in his game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

Chara and Tuukka are the center pieces of the Bruins defense, trading Zedeno would be a monumental mistake. He's intelligent, moves the puck extremly well, monster shot, and pulls unbelievable minutes - he's a rare commodity. Try to imagine the Bruins without him this year and it's a bad dream. Save money else where. Forgot about trading him.  Put together a fancy highlight CD of Wideman's best moments and try to sucker some GM in trading for him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins4me. Show bruins4me's posts

I like puc mans trade and that what the post is about POSSIBLE trades for Chara! Seidenburg needs to be re-signed and Boychuk for sure.I am more impressed with him with every time i see him play.BUUUT Charas leadership would be missed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

In Response to Re: Could the impossible happen? Could the Bruins trade Chara this summer? : He is the highest-paid defenseman on your list. And I agree with you, he's overrated and overpaid, and that's exactly why no other team will trade for him. Chara has too many holes in his game.
    Posted by MrHulot

OK, where are the holes in his game? Not many glaring ones IMHO. I'd like him to nail people with hits more often than he does but other than that he's a stud. Absolutely one of the top defensemen in the league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThisIsBruinsCountry. Show ThisIsBruinsCountry's posts

If the B's trade Chara, it's a terrible move!

Despite what the uneducated Bruins fans think, he's easily in the top 5 d men in the NHL. 

If they trade Chara with his 7.5 salary, they will absolutely need to take on someone else's money.  Put the shoe on the other foot for a minute.  The Bruins would need to trade Chara (7.5 mil) in a cap era, so they need to take money back.  Your gonna get a top draft pick, maybe top prospect instead, and have to take on a Wideman / Ryder type contract.  Maybe you even get a 1st rounder, a top prospect, and a crap contract, no way.

I posted this back before the Kessel deal, why trade a guy for picks that you hope turn out to be the guy you traded?

Keep Chara, keep Thomas (maybe trade him next year at the deadline if Rask proves to be more than a 1 year wonder).  The cap space should come from PC having the sack to JJ that Ryder is going to Providence.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThisIsBruinsCountry. Show ThisIsBruinsCountry's posts

on Chara...

The Bruins have been and are one of the top defensive teams in the league since his arrival, regardless of who the goalie has been (so all you TT haters, I guess Chara made him the goalie he is / was).  He's sees the same game we do, watches the tape, heck, plays the game.  So think about it.  Last year Chara wins the Norris when his defensive pairing (Wideman) has a solid year himself.  Chara must think he can take more chances, maybe punch a guy in the face and take a penatly, etc. This year, with Wideman, who knows what your gonna get.  Thus, Chara takes less chances and plays more stay at home and less physical.  The teams D numbers haven't changed, he's just not kicking people's tails for the highlight real.  Chara was his old self with Seidenburg (who we are not going to resign, unfortunately).

All along, the B's problems have been goals.  The fact fans are talking about Wideman, Chara, Thomas vs. Rask, etc, is ridiculous.  If this team averages 3 goals a game, there the Cup favorite.

Trading Chara will be a huge step back.. I love M. Sturt, but is he really going to be our #1??? With Wideman on the top pairing??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

I don't see Chara being traded. I don't know how much he likes it here, but he's still the best defenseman on the squad. If he wants to stay badly enough maybe we can sign him to a front loaded contract at a simpler rate (maybe say 5 more years at a $5.5 cap hit). Great teams start from the goalie up, and defense does win championships. The key players in Pittsburgh's cup run last year: Marc Andre Fleury, Crosby (obviously), Jordan Staal, Brooks Orpik and Rob Scuderi. The last two because they were very good at keeping Detroit's scorers at bay. 

Watch the playoffs this year and see how the strong defense teams do and how the overwhelming offenses do. I'll eat my words if there's a Chicago-Washington Stanley Cup final, but if not then you'll see the importance of defense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from brandonboys1. Show brandonboys1's posts

I love how the opening poster says Chara, "doesn't have his teammates backs and is not physical", then proceeds to say the Red Wings would trade for him b/c of his "leadership"? Ah, doesn't being a leader entail having ur teammates backs! Then he goes on to say they should trade him for Marleau- who is in fact a free agent- but also known around the league for "not having players backs" and doing nothing when games mean something. R these posters (or posers) 12 yrs old? Ridiculous! Chara is an elite D-man, end of story. People still think every D-man should be a Ray Bourque! Earth to people- Ray Bourque is not walking through that door. Stop holding players up to that standard. Bourque= once in a lifetime, be glad u witnessed it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

want to think rational about this then weigh the plus & minuses....the pluses of trading chara? salary cap issues-1 yr left on his contract-bring in some young blood-a change in the team mentality-very tradable commodity.....minus?  could sign for a cap friendly deal-the best shutdown d man in the league-can log major minutes-irreplaceable for individual D talent... bottomline is you trade others to get cap issues settled-you try like all heck to get him signed before he walks & if you do trade him you get back 2 top young talents Forward & Dman   raymond & edler  trade thomas & ryder so when the trade deadline comes you have $$$$ enough to fill the holes that you have...this team with the talent here & the talent on its way should be a team built on speed,speed & speed....on your toes hockey   if julien cant coach that!  see ya CJ

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

It's not just the physical play that makes Chara valuable. It's the offensive talent, which he does have, and his intangibles. The threat factor is what makes people afraid to go down his side of the boards. His shot is lethal, if he can get it off and it's not blocked it'll go in the net. He is a great defenseman... but not the best suited player for captain anymore. I think Bergeron could've donned the "C" at any time, and I think he'd be a great captain now, but for my money I think it should be Mark Stuart. He was billed as leader material at the draft, and in the second half of the season he became the rallying point for the team. Move Chara to assistant captain and give Stuart his due.

Resign Chara because unless they can give an offer sheet to Erik Johnson there won't be elite defenseman available for a while.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Mitch- it is funny to read it but you are right.  Chara's best move may very well be his poke check!  Chara is at his best when he is aggressive and physical but this year he hasn't been(injuries?). 

Be careful to equate 'value' with offensive production only.  The biggest positive for this team(and the ONLY reason they are winning) is because of the D and goaltending.  The B's defensive corps and Tukka is getting the job done this year.

JoeSchmo- although i disagree about your preference for Bergy as capt(i think he is too quiet to be effective), you are right on in when giving Stuey the nod.  He is tough as nails and gives everything to the team. Just hope he gets re-signed...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

In Response to Re: Could the impossible happen? Could the Bruins trade Chara this summer? : Crosby, Ovi and Malkin make 9 mil per and they are stars. Chara ( Lurch ) brings nothing offensively zero, too slow and is not physical enough for the dough he is making. I live in TO have season tixs and hate the Leafs. That being said the Bruins play the Leaf 7 times next year they better make sure they keep the head up because Phaneuf will lay you out. Unlike Lurch whos best move is a poke check. Trade this guy now that some teams think he bring value. Sign Karberle making 4.5 and can QB the PP and sign a guy like Andy Sutton (playing amazing for OTT now) UFA  3.5 for physical play. That's how you do it.
    Posted by mitchco98

Well for a guy who is slow, he sure skates the puck out of the B's end frequently - this would not happen if he were slow. Also, he has a very respectable forty three points, +/- of + 19, and skates a ton of minutes per game. He's not Ray Borque but he the closest thing the Bruins are likely to have for quite a while.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueEyedGuy. Show BlueEyedGuy's posts

Morphosis, couldn't agree with you more on the Zetterberg angle.  No way Holland and the Wings would part with him AND a 2nd round pick for Chara.  No chance.  In fact, if Chiarelli called me with that one, I'd put his number on permanent ignore.  Zetterberg has a Conn Smythe and, obviously, a Stanley Cup to his name--Chara's lone little Norris looks almost meaningless next to them. 

Fans here, you will notice with regularity, don't really consider all the possibilities or realities with trades here.  99% of these posters dream of being a GM, but would almost certainly be overwhelmed and woefully underqualified to deal with a real live person (and organization) at the other end who resists or balks at the silliness of the offers.  I find boards like these and the trade rumors and suggestions as good comedy--and I don't need to pay a cover or nurse the two-drink minimum.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Morphosis, couldn't agree with you more on the Zetterberg angle.  No way Holland and the Wings would part with him AND a 2nd round pick for Chara.  No chance.  In fact, if Chiarelli called me with that one, I'd put his number on permanent ignore.  Zetterberg has a Conn Smythe and, obviously, a Stanley Cup to his name--Chara's lone little Norris looks almost meaningless next to them.  Fans here, you will notice with regularity, don't really consider all the possibilities or realities with trades here.  99% of these posters dream of being a GM, but would almost certainly be overwhelmed and woefully underqualified to deal with a real live person (and organization) at the other end who resists or balks at the silliness of the offers.  I find boards like these and the trade rumors and suggestions as good comedy--and I don't need to pay a cover or nurse the two-drink minimum.
    Posted by BlueEyedGuy

BEG- agreed about your assessment of trade discussions on these boards. 

However, the main point of this thread is an interesting one: If Chara was offered in a trade, he would net the Bruins a decent scorer.  I like Chara and believe he doesn't get his due from most fans.  Speculating a trade involving him would help the Bruins land a scorer(not a Zetteberg) and remove big $$ next year.  On the flip side, it would severely weaken the B's on D...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Chara ( Lurch ) brings nothing offensively zero, too slow and is not physical enough for the dough he is making. I live in TO have season tixs and hate the Leafs. That being said the Bruins play the Leaf 7 times next year they better make sure they keep the head up because Phaneuf will lay you out. Unlike Lurch whos best move is a poke check. Trade this guy now that some teams think he bring value. Sign Karberle making 4.5 and can QB the PP and sign a guy like Andy Sutton (playing amazing for OTT now) UFA  3.5 for physical play. That's how you do it.  - mitchco98

The italicized bit above explains everything.  That must be incredibly frustrating.

Signing two second and third or fourth tier guys to do what you expect one elite guy to do is a typical Torontonian suggestion. I once heard a guy from Toronto call a national, American sports radio show and suggest the Laffs trade Sundin fro two second liners so they'd have more half-decent players even if they'd lack a star.  The point of having one guy who can do both is that you also get to dress another guy!  You can't play Sutton 28 min against top lines, so he's physical but limited, and you can play Kaberle against top lines, but he won't be physical with them.  I don't like Kaberle and I'm wondering what hockey god smiled on the Bruins to get them two Laff #1s instead of Kaberle and Kadri.  And frankly, if you're thinking you'd play those two together, I'd take Chara and Boychuk as a top pair for about the same money you're proposing, thanks.

Yeah, Phaneuf will lay you out.  One reason he's gone from Calgary?  Getting out of position looking for big hits and costing his team goals.  He runs around too much.  If you just want to see big hits, Boychuk will give you the poor man's Phaneuf.  And playing him with Chara means that, most of the time, if the hit results in a two on one, there's a guy back there who can defend it efficiently.

People hate the stick check, especially with a giant like Chara, but since they took out the clutch and grab with the obstruction rules, stick checks and blocking shots have become the most valuable skills for D-men.  You can't go for the open ice bomb every time a speedy guy comes dancing over the blueline or you'll run out of jocks by the second intermission.  Chara locks guys down - even Ovi - because even if they're faster and quicker, he's hard to get around and still be in effective scoring position.  With his reach, he can poke check or block a shot from the far hash to the near boards.  Hard to shoot through him, hard to get around him.  Just very very frustrating to play against, I'd guess. 

And he's going to finish the year with 44 points.  Seeing as we all like comparables, that's 6 fewer points than last year (down 12%) despite playing on a team whose overall scoring is down 70 goals (~25%).  It's also more than highly-paid 'skill' defensemen like Rafalski and Campbell who play on much more offensively gifted teams.  Oh, and it's also more than Shea Weber, who is also an even +/- on a Nashville team that has a better record than Boston's.