Craig Anderson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Craig Anderson

I'll probably get chirped at by a ton of people for this, and rightly so seeing has it is way to early to get into this but.....
    in the off season I made the argument that the Bruins would have been much better off signing Craig Anderson to a deal similar to what he signed (2 year, 1.812 cap hit) than they would with Thomas at 4 for 5 cap hit. I got laughed at, naturally.
    So far this season Craig Anderson is
    1st in the NHL in wins with 8
    4th in GAA at 2.14
    2nd in save percentage .936

Thomas isn't showing up on any of those leader boards. Again, I admit that its too early, and that Thomas could go on to have a phenomenal season and I hope he does, but i still stand by my off season argument and am wondering if anyone sees it my way now....if not, feel free to yell at me for daring to say anything against Tim Thomas.....kanes donut, have at me

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Re: Craig Anderson

you write this poll with their salaries next to there name....is the question towards the goaltender part of it or towards the over all well bein of the team with the salary cap.....with that in mind i would take anderson & rask, save the club (i believe thomas,s cap hit is 6 mill this year) 4 mill towards a scoring forward                                                                                                                                                            

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddy75. Show eddy75's posts

I dont' think it's that out of the question to ask but you probably will get hammered for it. Unrestricted free agency is unfortunately the time of year when people get silly and overvalue what certain players bring to the table. Thomas has played well, at times very well for the Bruins but he's a 35 year old goalie who relies on reflexes (however unorthodox) to make a lot of his saves. His reaction time isn't going to get better over 4 years and we can't buy him out, let him retire or anything else without being dinged by the 5 million dollar salary cap hit. The signing and the reasoning behind it still baffles me. The only thing I can come up with is that the Bruins don't think Rask will ever be a real #1 or they figure once the CBA runs out in 2012, they might rework the 35-year old clauses and/or allow for another round of penalty free buyouts because I just can't see Thomas getting any better than he was last year, particularly not 4 years from now.

But as for Anderson's - he's a lot like Thomas was a few years ago - a guy that bounced around and never got his big break. For Thomas it was being tagged as a sub-NHL calibre goalie, for Anderson, it's being tagged as a career backup. That said, apart from the salary (which does count), I don't think there would be much of an improvement over Thomas this year at least in terms of the goalie position by season's end. Of course, the 3+ million in savings could have been spent elsewhere or banked until the trade deadline to make a solid acquisition but for what it's worth, I don't think Thomas or Anderson are either good enough to win a cup with a team like the Bruins so we'd still be looking at a 2nd or 3rd round bounce out of the playoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

No.

The Avs look to have gotten a bargain. But what you're saying is that in the close season they should have replaced a known quantity coming off an amazing season where he won the Vezina with a cheaper option. That's sounds like the sort of cost conscious option that JJ and the rest of the Bs organisation have been pilloried for in the past.

TT is a consumate professional and a fitness freak. His flexibility and movement are unbelievable. He can play at the top level for years if he stays injury free. Rask is good and as understudy to Thomas hopefully he can pick up some good habits in terms of training and dedication which'll make him a stand-out goalie once Thomas is done.

Hindsight is wonderful but you can't guarantee that Anderson would be putting up the same sort of numbers in Boston. Not with the sloppy play that Thomas AND Rask have had to cope with so far.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

The big difference is Andersons stats will fall and Thomas`s will rise. Anderson IS not a all star goalie and is riding a short hot streak to start the season. Last night any one doubting Thomas should get a clue. Like Blake Wheeler said thats why he is the best in the game. Voted the number one star in Ottawa and is really starting to look Vezina like again. If Anderson was asked to keep this hurt up team in games he could not do so. He has had many chances to be a number one and has always failed. He is like Raycroft and will in time be a bigger liability then a asset!!!!!!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from readingrocket17. Show readingrocket17's posts

In Response to Re: Craig Anderson:
    [QUOTE]The big difference is Andersons stats will fall and Thomas`s will rise. Anderson IS not a all star goalie and is riding a short hot streak to start the season. Last night any one doubting Thomas should get a clue. Like Blake Wheeler said thats why he is the best in the game. Voted the number one star in Ottawa and is really starting to look Vezina like again. If Anderson was asked to keep this hurt up team in games he could not do so. He has had many chances to be a number one and has always failed. He is like Raycroft and will in time be a bigger liability then a asset!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by notacryingwino[/QUOTE]

everything you are saying about anderson is what great hockey minds were saying about tim thomas up until last year. i hate tim's contract. maybe he's worth that money now because of his numbers last season but it really does put a strangle hold on the cap issue.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

Sorry but they were saying it about Thomas 3 years ago when he won back to back 7th man awards and 2 years ago when he won his 1st of 2 all star games. Thomas has not been a one year wonder like so many goalies in Boston before him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tigeforty. Show tigeforty's posts

Did anyone watch the game last night? Just checking!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

I did.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

I watched it. Thomas was outstanding. No way the overall play deserved two points.

Someone should call the cops cos the Sens got mugged last night!!

Anyone who hasn't seen it needs to check out the highlights.

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

I will say that Tim Thomas did win the game for us and Morris was on key. Thomas is getting older but time will tell and this why we pay goalies the bucks to step up and keep an injured team in the game. That is what Tim did, along with Morris smart plays and yes Rechhi 1500 gm. and goal(tip in his claim to fame style) to top it off.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

While we're on the subject of comparing raw stats how about these?

Cam Ward :
    Wins 2 (29th overall)
    GAA 2.78 (26th overall)
    Save % .913 (18th overall)

Nicklas Backstrom :
    Wins 3 (20th overall)
    GAA 2.48 (16th overall)
    Save % .918 (11th overall)

Both goalies are currently ranked below Anderson in all 3 categories. Now go and watch highlights from Carolina v Minny last night.

Now here's the hypothetical bit: IF Boston were in the market for a goalie and IF they were available and IF salary cap wasn't an issue; would you rather have Ward, Backstrom or Anderson?

Just comparing raw stats is not enough. Some goalies can play brilliantly when it really matters to steal games/ series. Others go to pieces. I really rate Ward, I think he's a fantastic goalie, and I put Thomas in the same category.

EDIT: The Carolina/ Minny game also has one of the funniest fights I've ever seen. It's like watching Scrappy Doo going at it Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I won't hammer you but here's why your argument doesn't hold with me.
    I'll get to Thomas's salary in a bit.
    Now Anderson,  he never proved anything along with other goalie's like Hiller (ANA) ,  the latter proved his worth only in the playoffs last year and Anderson just shining now. How would Bruin fans have reacted not wanting signing Thomas and taking a chance on an un-proven goalie. It doesn't have to be the two I'm mentioning above , any goalie that might have promise and btw Rask is one of those. Their would be an uproar of fans saying how Jacobs are cheap not signing Thomas, Chiarelli this and Chiarelli that and what about if that goalie turned out to be another Jim Carey or that monster we had Loch something (too early to go fond his name) these boards would be filled for the head of management.
    You need to look at the timing the Bruins signing Thomas , just before playoffs .  To me this is simple,  thinking that the Bruins had a team to go far in the playoffs and maybe all the way the first objective was to put your netminder at ease and that meant signing him.  Also they signed him before he reached a certain age so that in an event of a buyout makes the task easier and fianancially logical (not going to get into the age thing too long ).
    Thomas will be a good netminder for at least another couple years , this contract was well deserved for all the hard work he put in and a reward to his career.
    It's a feel good story.

P.S. notacryingwino and Kurako very good points that compliment what I'm trying to say.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

I'm taking Tim Thomas over Anderson, but I think Thomas could have taken more of a hometown discount

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Kurako , on your last comment. I say Team Canada drops Ward and takes Anderson for the Olympics. 
    Let's see if the great hockey minds in Canada change their minds. Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsking. Show bruinsking's posts

anderson is american
    go bruins 5 out of 6 points . great job

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

[QUOTE]anderson is american go bruins 5 out of 6 points . great job
    Posted by bruinsking[/QUOTE]

I guess Timmy and Miller should be sweating over that olympic spot then Wink

Let's not forget the intangibles that TT brings.

1 Positive influence on Rask. Don't take it from me. Straight from the horses' mouths:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2009/10/05/bruins_rask_awaiting_his_shot

[QUOTE]“Big change. I think there’s no doubt about that,’’ said Bruins coach Claude Julien. “We always will nitpick at those things. Sometimes it’s not about criticizing a guy. It’s more about, ‘This is what this guy needs to do.’ That comes with experience. That comes with a guy maturing as a person and as an athlete. Tuukka has done that. From Year 1 to Year 3, if you want to put it that way, he’s a much different goaltender in practices. I even see him reacting to letting in a bad goal. He’s getting mad. I like that. Before, it was just another goal. That’s what maturing is all about. I use the example that Timmy is like that. Dominik Hasek was like that. They never want to get scored on, even in a pregame warm-up. Those guys are hard competitors. I think Tuukka is getting a little bit into that mold where he doesn’t like goals getting in. That bodes well for his future.’’[/QUOTE]

2. B*tch slapping opposition players who get out of line (Avery getting his against the Rangers + a shut out in their own building)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Good call bruinsking- i did not know he was a Yank.

That makes this thread even more important.  If DKrejci46 is right, Anderson will easily get taken over Thomas for the Olympic team.  After all, the TEAM USA staff should know a little bit about hockey, eh?

I could end the drama before the Vancouver games-TT is the man for TEAM USA. He is better when you compare stats, he is better when considering intangibles.  Sorry DK46- you are way of on this one even if you can show a comparable stat stating otherwise.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

oops, sorry about that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Actually Avery v Thomas was at Boston. Memory ain't what it used to be!

Sean Avery:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2lEUxwngZA

Andrei Kostitsyn:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZNJCM_uZP4

You won't get entertainment like that from Anderson!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Craig Anderson :After all, the TEAM USA staff should know a little bit about hockey, eh? Posted by stingerjp[/QUOTE]

LOL good one stingerjp, afterall it's the same guys running the Leafs LOL..
    I would like to see a Canada-U.S. gold medal game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The only reason you ditch Thomas for Anderson is cap space.  Yeah, Anderson's been a good story, but you're gambling if you think he can do it all year - or even that he and Rask would be enough.  Say they used the Cash to keep Ward and sign Morris.  What do you do if the goaltending tandem is your weak spot?  You can't make much of a deal with no cap left (Morris would eat up most of the cap savings switching Anderson for Thomas), and you're probably looking at a bigger and more disruptive deal to solve the problem.  That's if you can find a team with a solution to offer.  Say what you want about how Thomas does it, but Thomas has had two-three years of improving numbers, and he's been a good fit for this defensive system. 

You only make that move for one reason: you don't think you're a realistic contender for the Cup right now.  You're willing to chintz on goaltending so you can spend on other areas while you wait for Rask to grow into the #1 role.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE] The big difference is Andersons stats will fall and Thomas`s will rise. Anderson IS not a all star goalie and is riding a short hot streak If Anderson was asked to keep this hurt up team in games he could not do so. He has had many chances to be a number one and has always failed. He is like Raycroft and will in time be a bigger liability then a asset!!!!!!!!!!! Posted by notacryingwino[/QUOTE]

Asset vs. liability mentor vs. detractor          overall game saver vs. hot streak

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

First things first you guys are acting like Anderson is a rookie, he had a very good year last year posting a .921 save percentage, and battled timmy back and forth in the save percentage category, and that was playing for a pretty weak tim.
    to stingerjp.....ummmm no, thats not what i'm saying at all because last time i checked olympic teams don't have salary caps now do they?
    I don't buy the mentor thing because they are OPPOSITE styles of goalies. one dives all over the place, the other is calm and composed and all about form.

The issue here is that I think the Bruins are better off with a B+ goal for 2 years under 2 million than an A- goalie for 5 mill 4 years

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

[QUOTE]First things first you guys are acting like Anderson is a rookie, he had a very good year last year posting a .921 save percentage, and battled timmy back and forth in the save percentage category, and that was playing for a pretty weak tim. to stingerjp.....ummmm no, thats not what i'm saying at all because last time i checked olympic teams don't have salary caps now do they? I don't buy the mentor thing because they are OPPOSITE styles of goalies. one dives all over the place, the other is calm and composed and all about form. The issue here is that I think the Bruins are better off with a B+ goal for 2 years under 2 million than an A- goalie for 5 mill 4 years
    Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE] First Anderson didnt battle back and forth for the save % lead as Thomas held this from November on. Second he was no where near in G.A.A Third go check the huge difference in shots against and the number of minutes played. Anderson is not now or ever been as good of a goaltender as Thomas. 4. Sooner or later your going to have to face the fact Thomas is no longer a scrambling goalie except in desperate situations where more often then not, like last night he comes up with a insane save to keep his team in the game. The Bruins are far better off with Thomas then the under achieving Anderson. Anderson is a mediocre goalie at best having never made the all star game or won a Vezina!!!!!!!