Current Bruins plus Goal Scorer : Stanley Cup to BeanTown

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from POWERSURGE. Show POWERSURGE's posts

Current Bruins plus Goal Scorer : Stanley Cup to BeanTown

Since Kovalchuk, who was the best fit for Boston in my opinion, is not available anymore; it doesn't change the fact that we need more goals, and winger(s) to play with Savard. Check out the total shot on net stat; I like to assume that a winger in the top 100 shot on goal  is what we need ( Chara is Boston shot leader at #40 right now, and the top D in the league. Ryder and Sturm are the only other Boston  players in the top 100). Possible wingers that could be an option for a Thomas trade ( and more) are:
    Sharp @3.9 mil cap hit until 2012
    Hornqvist @ RFA after this year
    Bobby Ryan @ RFA after this year
    ST-Louis @5.250 mil cap hit until 2011
    Eriksson @4.266 mil cap until 2016
    Penner @4.250 mil cap until 2012
    Malone @4.500 mil cap until 2015
    Neal @RFA after this year
    Boyes @4.500 mil cap hit until 2012
    Kariya @UFA after this year
    Versteeg @3.066 cap  until 2012

These are all wingers that are in teams that could use a proven vezina winning goalie. I think Sharp would be the best option out there, and Chicago really need a decent goalie for the playoff push.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from norwoodmustang. Show norwoodmustang's posts

Re: Current Bruins plus Goal Scorer : Stanley Cup to BeanTown

Yeah im sure many teams are dying to sign a 35 year old goalie with diminishing skills and a ludacris contract and give up their young goal scorers to do it. Thomas has a NMC too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Get the thought out of your head.  The Bruins aren't one signing away from the Cup.  If they were, would they be near the basement right now?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Wide left again, Norwood.  There are good teams out there whose biggest concern is uncertain goaltending, and there's another class of teams who need a #1 for a few years while they develop a long-term solution in the nets.  Thomas has a Vezina in hand.  The Bruins have been reeling, meaning they might make a move to make a move, like dumping an asset like Thomas for well below his value.  You might be right re: what comes back - it's probably not Bobby Ryan (and the Ducks just signed Hiller to be their #1, so...) coming back, but the teams that are more interested could compete the price up to James Neal or Patrick Sharp.

But hey, this must be a difficult time of year for you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Chiarelli doesn't seem like an offer sheet kind of guy. What I can see him doing is drafting a player with a very high skill set and a very high potential, then signing a guy like Paul Kariya to be the stop gap until the prospect is ready (depends on who the prospect is, by some odd chance we get Taylor Hall then he steps in immediately). We're close to the max for our cap, so unless they to manage to move Thomas, Ryder or Wideman (nearly impossible for a straight cap dump, I know) then they won't have much room to make. Despite what some idiots say Thomas does have trade value, but not the value that optimists think. We're not getting a guy like Loui Eriksson or James Neal for Thomas. Nashville will tie up Hornqvist soon, I don't see an offensively deprived team like Nashville leaving their leading scorer up to an offer sheet. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

LMAO! they are alot more than one good goal scorer away from the cup. They had the one good scorer last year and they got smoked in the second round.  We need to face the fact that last year they severly overachieved, and this year they are worse because other teams have caught on to the Bruins defensive schemes and tendencies (see Wideman and Chara's results, along with Thomas' GGA). AND they traded their best goal scorere away and didnt fill that void. 
    They are two or three years away from contending, provided they dont trade away the players they pick in the draft because they ask for minimum wage increases and Jacobs has to raise the price of a hot dog to 26.99 without the bun......28.99 with extras such as the bun and mustard.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFaninOntario. Show BruinsFaninOntario's posts

Hey slicksteve 38, very funny. But what if I prefer relish & peppers? Will JJ still be able to sign all the draft picks if I cut out the sodas?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

That's a lot of money for a hot dog.

I don't think they can get away with that, unless they start brainwashing fans.

...on second thought...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

I know I am often thought of as a troll, or  Boston hater, but dont get me wrong, I am a huge fan of all Boston teams.  What I am not a fan of is the uneducated sports fan telling me how it is, or that I am not a true fan because I speak negatively about one of my teams.  I said it last year, I will say it again this year...and again until JJ sells this team.  The Bruins wont go anywhere, as much as I love them, and at times last year they were so fun to watch, they break my heart every year. I start to love the team, they trade the brightest star, or they do not re-sign them.  I watched more good players walk out that door (Jason Allison, Joe Thornton, Billy Guerin, Phil Kessel, etc).  I know all teams lose good players from time to time.  However why do the Red Wings consistantly end up winning? Same with the Devils?
    The Bruins have a good (good not great) year last year, they tease the fans, get us excited...then they trade their best player for a draft pick.  They sign horrible contracts to average players. If one more person tells me how Thomas was the best goalie last year...I will throw up.  He did well alst year because they defensive scheme in front of him worked.  The problem with that scheme is that they didnt do anything to make it better, they made it worse and teams have figured it out.
    A simple dump and chase is a problem for this team because Big Z is slow and Thomas doesnt handle the puck well.  How many times have you seen sloppy turn overs in the Bruins end this year?
    So last year they got away with an average scoring team ( I am aware of the stats, but the eye test says different) because the defense bailed them out. Now, the defense is getting slower, the goalie is getting older, and they score LESS!
    So they should be re-building and getting younger, yet they dont have any young studs under 25 on the team.  Lucic is a role player....he hits hard, fights hard, and occationally scores an accidental goal. But people on this board think he will be a 30 goal scorer ala number 8.  Neely had some speed and hands...Lucic has good hands....good for mashing someone elses head in. Is that worth the contract he signed?
    I am like the bitter ex spouse with this team...they constantly let me down the second I get excited about them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueEyedGuy. Show BlueEyedGuy's posts

My opinion of what the Red Wings and Devils do starts with good drafting and excellent player development (a.k.a. patience), with the occasional good signing or trade to fill in the rest.  I don't know about the Devils, but the Red Wings have at least 11 players on their current roster that they drafted and brought up through their system.  And the fact that blows me away about the Red Wings is that the highest pick they've had since 1992 is 19th overall.  With seven Cups between New Jersey and Detroit since 1995, they've clearly established themselves as organizations that seems to "get it" more than others somehow.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

With that post above, slicksteve has proven that he is the most astute person on these Bruins boards.

You pretty much spelled out the way I feel also. Although, I really am not sure Jacobs is not trying to have a winner, just that maybe he doesn't know how to hire GM'S and his GM's don't know how to hire coachs and the lot of them don't know how to draft or trade the right players, and when they do they can't seem to build a solid team around them.

It seems almost like when they have a season like 08-09 when things are looking better they can't make the hard, tough choices to make sure it doesn't fall apart....as it seems to be doing right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from knewjax hockey. Show knewjax hockey's posts

Just as an FYI there's now a salary cap in hockey.  I don't like Jacobs at all but you now can't blame him for a bad team since the cap was put in place, or a cup drought during this post cap era.  Before the cap, yes absolutely the team on the ice and the drought represted him being cheap.  Him being cheap on personell now is no longer an issue, so you can't say "as long as he's the owner they will never win", he allows PC to spend to the cap.  If there's anybody to blame in regards to personell moves it's now the GM (PC), which I am not blaming PC on this years result so far.  Where jacobs can go to hell on is the price gouging on concessions and ticket prices. It's defintely all Jacobs on that and for that he's a horrible owner.  I understand supply and demand and the whole purpose for wealthy people to purchase a franshise is to make  money but give it a little bit of a break.  One really good year and gouch the prices?  You would think the Celtics paying him rent and anything else that comes into the Garden would satisfy his greed and he wouldn't try to gouge on his team he owns.  Jacobs also owns the Garden and the Celtics pay him rent to play there on top of all the concessions he makes for Celtics games and then all the other shows and whatnot that come into the Garden.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

I understand all about the cap.  However the development staff and GM, and coaches down in Providence, etc dont count agains the cap.  The bottom line is PC was the cheapest option for JJ because PC didnt have any other offers pending.  Jacobs is cheap in every other aspect of the teams development, and it shows.  He is the one who pushed so hard for a salary cap.  Now he can sit back and say he is spending up to the cap, and doing all he can do to put a winning tem on the ice.  Their scouts stink, their Providence coaches concentrate more on winning games than they do developing players. No potential GM even considered interviewing for the Bruins job because they knew what Jacobs would offer them. So yes, they spend up to the cap...as does almost every other team in the league. Now they need to bring in people who dont offer outrageous contracts to guys like Lucic and Krejci.  There is spending, and then there is spending wisely.  They had to offer Chara more than his worth in order to draw him to this team, and now they will pay for it as his prime years fade away. Now they will waste Savards prime years with more draft picks. By the time those picks are NHL ready, Savards contract will end, and he will be on the downside of his career as well.  They need to either blow it all up, or go for it. You cant do things half way.  When the Savard and Chara contracts end, no one will want to come here because they will still be a developing team. Thus the cycle continues. Stupid owners=bad personel moves=bad contracts=bad teams=Bruins.

Sections
Shortcuts