DEAR MANAGEMENT, PLEASE B I T E ME

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

DEAR MANAGEMENT, PLEASE B I T E ME

I've defended management on several occasions on these boards, being well aware that hockey is partly a business. But the new ticket prices have left a bad taste in my mouth for the first time in a long time, and my love for this team has taken a blow.

This situation is quite sad, because for the first time ever, part of me wants the Bruins to start losing again, just to stick it to management. 

A move like this amounts to two steps backwards in the progress of this team.

To quote some other contributors to this discussion board:

"The Red Sox have been to 4 ALCS and won 2 World Series Championships since 2003... not only that but they froze all prices in the park and lowered thier concessions because of this horrible recession we are in..." - ninosurfer

"...the Sox SMARTLY leave THOUSANDS of very cheap seats aside for the general public..EVEN THOUGH THEY COULD GET MUCH MORE FOR THOSE SEATS. By doing that, fans respect the Sox right to "get what they can" for the really good seats.   I bought $12 and $23 seats to the Sox this season.  Cheapest Bruins seat is now $30 in 1 section for half the games... Politically Tone Deaf move by the Bruins."  - dogwhacker

"what really bothers me is the purpose of the lockout was supposodly to make it more affordable for fans to go the games and even before this increase it wasnt...the kids lose...even if they go probaly need to sit them way up top  suits pay the high player salaries and its to bad but I dont want to watch minor league hockey." - bruins8

"It was too high of an increase for only 1 really good season. Also due to the fact that our country is still in a massive recession, I cant see how this is a smart move." - camara937

"Other Boston teams raised their rates AFTER winning multiple championships." - stingerjp

"it does s*ck for the true fans out there." - xosummerlove59

"It's unfortunate because I have 3 kids and I cant take them to a game." - bruins8

If our kids aren't going to the games, who will be your next generation of fans, geniuses?

"it does s**k for the fans that did support the franchise when it wasn't winning." - kennedy97

"All past hockey sins committed by the Jacobs family were forgiven almost overnight. Now, did you really think you the fans weren't going to be screwed over in some shape or form?" - BeerLeagueGoalie

"Take things too far and they're going to be lying in their own mess by the end of it, because a huge chunk of those die-hard fans consists of people who can't afford high prices. Hockey fans aren't typically the kinds of people who go Monaco to watch F-1. They're not all rich folk. So good luck with your price hikes, management." - BruinsUnite

Have you heard that the recession is in full swing? You can't compensate for your own losses by robbing the poor. Not if you wish to preserve some level of integrity.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

Re: DEAR MANAGEMENT, PLEASE B I T E ME

Another well thought out post.  Enough to make me question my defense of management too, but not switch sides.  I'm dealing with the economy in my industry too, and it's even worse to our customers.  But were still knee deep in dukets, our customers know the deal, and those that can't pony up have folded already.

Anywho, glad to see your full of p!ss and vinegar again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from julienrules. Show julienrules's posts

BruinsUnite,

I hope your post makes the rounds in the Executive Offices of the Bruins.

Its VERY important to point out that the people posting these comments ARE NOT the loser bashers or Montreal trolls who post negative nonsense year round.

The people you quote are 100% DEDICATED BRUINS FANS.

People who stood there WITH the Bruins defending the Jacobs family against over the top attacks.  

We CREDITED Jacobs for spending RIGHT UP TO THE CAP, for smartly hiring Peter C., for smartly hiring Claude, for building a great hockey team and offering a fan and family-friendly atmosphere. For LISTENING to us, for  communicating, for even acting on our many suggestions. ALWAYS gave them props.

We feel a little betrayed frankly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

no matter what the prices are or who the owneris i will always follow tebruins and never wish the to do bad....i love the team with all my heart....i undrstandfns fustration...but its a business to some...just like some of our favorite players leaving because of the money..cant blame them but at the sametime i wish there was some way we can find a win win for everyone...id like to afford to bring my kids to the games and buy them a jersey and know the player wont be on another team the nex season....wishfull thinking

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

Yeah, P!ss and vinegar. And yeah, we defended Jacobs.

This is not an argument against capitalism, of course. This is an argument to the effect that raising prices so drastically was wrong because:

• The nation has reached the recession's peek, and hence this is the worst possible time for a price increase;

• The team has not yet achieved at a level to justify the increase;

• It is bad for business, in the long run, given that this doesn't allow for the breeding of new die-hard fans (our kids) who will one day buy their own tickets;

• It is bad for the team if we look at the baseball model, in which the fanaticism of the sport is fueled by the die-hards who make the most noise, and who get the cheapest tickets; without them, hockey in Boston dies;

• In sum, it's plainly rude to do this now. Put things in perspective: We got to round 2 of the playoffs. Whoopedy doo. What will you do if we don't make round 2 next year?

• Get over yourselves.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pezell04x. Show Pezell04x's posts

You know what, I don't worry about ticket prices anymore.

I've accepted that the Bruins owner is about one thing, money. Due to this, rising ticket prices and a recession, I am going to just watch my Bruins hockey @ home. HDTV, perfect view and no people to ruin my experience...I'll take it.

There is a point where you spend around $200+ for a family of 3-4 to enjoy a baseball or hockey game and it isn't worth it anymore.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

I would send a bucketload of email to this address:

fanrelations@bostonbruins.com

It'll probably do nothing, but you can try anyways.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Donut-Whisperer. Show The-Donut-Whisperer's posts

We shall see how many of you have the extra money needed to take in a Bruins game.  Sox might be a different animal. There seems to be a lot more interest locally in baseball than in hockey, so will the market for pucks and sticks be able to hold up if people only have so much money to spend on sports.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

In Response to Re: DEAR MANAGEMENT, PLEASE B I T E ME:
    We shall see how many of you have the extra money needed to take in a Bruins game.  Sox might be a different animal. There seems to be a lot more interest locally in baseball than in hockey, so will the market for pucks and sticks be able to hold up if people only have so much money to spend on sports.
    Posted by The-Donut-Whisperer

Not to mention JJ's infamous hot dogs and beer.Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Donut-Whisperer. Show The-Donut-Whisperer's posts

Jacobs might be OVERestimating the popularity of his product and UNDERestimating the severity of the recession. He may have jumped the gun on this one, but greed tends to cloud your judgement.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

there is plenty of wealth in new england its not like its like our poor northern neighbors the bruins will be just fine

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

there is plenty of wealth in new england its not like its like our poor northern neighbors the bruins will be just fine
    Posted by Kanes-Donuts

I take it that means you're a season ticket holder with about 5 or 6 seats to your name. Congrats that you make enough money to do that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1Goalie30. Show 1Goalie30's posts

Posted by Kanes-Donuts

The donut buisness must be good!

I will now only be able to go to one game. T me off!

But, on the flip side.....no crowds, lines to the beer, and I can leave if they are going in the toliet during the game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenian1967. Show fenian1967's posts

As long as Dr. Evil spends up to the cap I really don’t care what he charges for tickets. I gave up my seasons the years they moved to the fleece center. I truly hate Jacobs and not enough bad things can happen to him, I will always blame him for killing the deep love I had for this team.  I root for them now because I believe Neely/Chiarelli et all are trying to win, unlike Sinden who just wanted as much money as he could get by keeping costs down and getting a bigger bonus for himself or O’Connell who was just glad to have a job.  Dr. Evil started to listen when his building was empty, as long as the team wins and puts out a hard hitting ea that scraps people will go, supply and demand. If you don’t like how much tickects cost don’t go, I don’t. That is the only way Jacobs will ever listen, the man is pure evil.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TurnpikeDave. Show TurnpikeDave's posts

Shame on any of you who thought Jacobs was a changed man just because he helped force a lockout to get everyone down to his level of spending.

They won 1 playoff round in 10 years so he doubles the price of tickets during the worst recession since the greatest depression.

Makes me absolutely sick to my stomach

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3573084. Show user_3573084's posts

with all do respect bruinsunite, weren't you the same person arguing that "jacobs has the right to increase prices"?

anyways, jacobs has destroyed the love that boston has for this team. i know a lot of people continue to see the bruins, but it's certainly not the same love that the bruins had during the days of players such as neely, bourque, orr.

i don't think i have ever heard jacobs mutter the words "we want the stanley cup". sure, he's probably said "we want to win", but that only brings in more money for him and all the more reason to increase concession stand prices and ticket prices.

it's becoming absolutely ridiculous. and for those saying stop complaining, i hear ya. but at the same time, this ticket price increase is preposterous.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from detroitdan. Show detroitdan's posts

Almost every other organization has frozen or lowered thier prices and the grinch who stole the Cup from Boston raises them and raises them BIG TIME! I hope the building is half empty on most nights

btw this thread should be changed to ownership please bite me

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yep when I'm back in Vermont this October for a wedding up by beautiful Stratton Mtn. I will not sit foot in the Vault or Fleece or what ever they call it now.

I don't fight city hall or greedy owners! He is a very greedy man indeed! He's the fourth richest owner in all the big four sports. He takes no prisoners nor does he care about our feelings or are wallets. He doesn't care about the Bruins and he will never sell this cash cow. The Jacobs family will always have this storied, historic, Stanley Cup starved franchise.

I will go into my favorite sports bars here on the west coast to watch the Bruins because there my favorite team all sports. I do believe Cam Neely, Don Sweeney and PC have our best interests though. Try not let him let him get you ALL! I know it's hard but were going to have good teams for quite sometime because of Cam Neely, Don Sweeney PC and the current players. 

I think the current players have us loyal fans in mind. I know that keeps me happy n satisfied.

Clark Donatelli yelled at me once after a San Diego Gulls game that he had just played. I was all bent out of shape because the Bruins just traded Adam Oates because he questioned Bruins management about building around him.

Clark told me "I just played for that cheap SOB! It used to make me sick to see his name on my checks! Forget Him! It will never change! Greedy Sports Owners won't change! Greedy Stock Holders won't change! When the Bruins finally win the Stanley Cup you and I will be at that celebration WITHOUT JEREMY JACOBS!"

I listened and when I see Clark Donatelli at the Parade we won't care about JJ!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

. The people you quote are 100% DEDICATED BRUINS FANS. Posted by julienrules

Except for me...I'm a Montreal fan who respects the Bruins, their history and most of the fanbase (and doesn't begrudge them any success they have--except against Montreal, when it takes me a couple of days to recover! :) )

However, I've been in the area long enough to know when a team's focus is too much on the bottom line and profitability. The Bruins have been that way forever (and in fact in the pre-lockout days were one of the few teams that DID turn a profit, much to the chagrin of a number of fans who wanted them to spend more on talent). And while I understand that the NHL is first and foremost a business, at the same time, it still stinks when a fanbase that has for the most part been pretty loyal is either being turned upside down and shaken right now, or is next in line to have it happen (longtime STH's) down the road.

It's not a situation unique to the Bruins--many teams have done this. But as has been pointed out, many of those teams have enjoyed more success on the fields, floors or rinks of play before doing so.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gardensupporter. Show Gardensupporter's posts

I'd  suggest trying stubhub.  They'll have plenty of inventory under face value.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from julienrules. Show julienrules's posts

Good suggestion.  It shows how vastly overpriced the tix are

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The Stanley Cup parade.  You can bet JJ would make sure to be at the side of Cam Neeley every second to make sure he didn't get pelted by bricks and rocks and bottles.  Looks to me like JJ listens to his PR people, that's why they yanked wittle Chuckie Charles in charge out of the spotlight because he comes across as a sleazey weasel no matter what he says.  And if he listens to his PR people he would do something like not attend the parade and say "it's all about the players", something like Bledsoe did super bowl 1.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

I'll maintain that bRUINS are a 2-parade team: One parade when jacobs leaves; the other when the put it all together.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Milbury26. Show Milbury26's posts

What I've found is that a lot of fairweather fans who found out that the B's were in the playoffs last year bought season tickets to get playoff seats. They're now selling these tickets at face value or lower becuase they don't care about the regular season. Granted, I'm not saying that everyone who is looking to get rid of some games is a fairweather fan, becuse that's just simply not the case.

Also, it seems that another abundance of season tickets could come from those who think that they would make a profit for selling the tickets for higher prices on account of the team's success last year but are now finding out that with the higher prices and the new supply of tickets for similar or less than face value that they might not make a profit so they'll try to break even.

This is all unproven and will hopefully hold true for our benefit.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

How about some political action?  Letters to the editor for starters, and perhaps a Globe writer will do a story on it.  Also other newspapers.  Then, put up placards around sports bars and the Garden itself, explaining and protesting.  Also a demonstration outside the Garden or ticket sales office would attract TV coverage.  Call in to radio talk shows.  Organize a BOYCOTT.  That will get attention.  Distribute fliers at public gatherings and at any sports events-- for instance the Sox.  Also distribute fliers to the state legislators.  Make Jacobs look bad however you can.  Embarrass him.  Compare his approach to the Red Sox approach, which many of you have commented on. Some of you are good writers and could come up with the text of the fliers-- catchy headlines etc.

Don't take this insult lying down.  Get up, stand up for your rights.  You are the fans and support of the team.  I am a fan too but I live 700 miles away and DirecTV is my connection.  If I were still in the Boston area I would organize a PROTEST and BOYCOTT.

Some of you can start by just doing some of the above.  But eventually it would be good to meet somewhere and ORGANIZE.  

Go, true Bruins Fans !!!  

Sections
Shortcuts