Denis Wideman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from squeef. Show squeef's posts

Denis Wideman

What is the general consensus on Wideman. I think hes a solid D man and I like the way he moves the puck and i think people tend to only see the negative but I wanted peoples opinions from this board because i am really bored of baseball.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Re: Denis Wideman

Haha I feel you're pain squeef, the longevity of the baseball season is comparable to torture in my opinion.

Im not sure where you are seeing all the negative feedback on Wideman. Dennis is the second best overall defenseman on this team next to Chara. He moves well, hits well, and can be a force offensively. Most importantly his output exceeds his salary.

Last season he had 50pts and almost played all 82 games, not to mention 7 more pts in 11 playoff games. Those are almost Norris-esque numbers my friend! If it were a more democratic world Dennis Wideman would be on Team Canada at this years Olympics as his past two seasons far eclipse some of the blueliners who got the nod for training camp.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3573084. Show user_3573084's posts

Personally, I love Wideman. I even have a Wideman shirt. :-)

People do focus on that bad, but every player has their flaws. My consensus is that Wideman is a very good defenseman; not great, but very good. Not only can he score, he moves the puck very well. His skating ability is pretty fluid and he can dish some awesome hits (remember that hit on Stajan during that insane Toronto game?!). Even more so, his point production is pretty consistent too.

I'll feel your pain as well. Baseball is killing me. As much as I love the Red Sox, I am longing for the month of October. Not only will the Bruins be on, but the Celtics, and hopefully the Sox. And football season! HELL-YES.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

Bottom line for me is I have forgotten about Boyes. With the depth up front the B's now have it looks like PC had a plan overall when he made this trade. I didn't think that 3 years ago.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think allot of the negative posts came from people who saw the truth. Wideman had a scared look on his face and panicked in his own zone in the elimination series. The Canes, not far removed from there cup win, saw it and pummeled Denis. Wideman is/was inexperienced and Bs fans needed him to be that guy he was in the regular season.

My feeling is Denis will not let this happen again. I enjoy watching Wideman march that puck up the ice and quarterback the power play. He will make up for that panic he had against a very good team. Point increase is inevitable!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from squeef. Show squeef's posts

A lot of the negatives I had been hearing had come from buddies of mine when we watch games together, but I agree with all the sentiments shared above, so thanks guys. Correct me if I'm wrong but Wideman's first playoff exp. was the first round loss to Montreal in 08 right? My guess would be that was the reason for the nervous look he had against a very hungry 'canes team who looked very Bruins-esque.

And thats a very good point about boyes too, I had forgotten about him as well. It  seems as if 50 pt defensemen are valued equally to someone of Boyes' stature, if not valued higher.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

i think most negative is due to his tendancy to turn the puck over often - which will happen when you are a D-man that controls the puck as much as he does. So those moments tend to stand out in some peoples minds more than his positives. having said that, i am a big fan of his and see plenty of potential and upside to him. I think he will feel a little relief as well this season with Morris coming in as the #2/#3 guy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Wideman has a good shot, is a good passer, and has decent vision. He cannot skate backwards with any fluidity, is as slow Chara. He's also a below average hitter, widely variable positonally in his own zone, and takes quite a few shifts off.

In Response to Denis Wideman:
    What is the general consensus on Wideman. I think hes a solid D man and I like the way he moves the puck and i think people tend to only see the negative but I wanted peoples opinions from this board because i am really bored of baseball.
    Posted by squeef

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

My main beef with Dennis Wideman is his shot from the point. Most of the time he shoots from there, the ***** shot goes wide. I'm yelling at him to get the goddamn shot on net for a change. He wasn't Wide-man for nothing last season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Turk16. Show Turk16's posts

Dennis did a great imitation of a cone when he let the punk Walker skate around him to score the series winner in overtime! Very weak on D' and does not hit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from roydelaney. Show roydelaney's posts

I think most of the negative feelings towards Wideman result from the fact that he is AWFUL.  He can't hit, he can't skate, he shoots wide all the time, and half the time his 'puck moving' is right to the other team! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beer-League-Goalie. Show Beer-League-Goalie's posts

Decent start but a weak finish and a playoff no show. But Chara has trouble hitting the net from the point too. There are no Orr's, Bourque's or Park's in terms of a deadly accurate point shot on this squad.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skaswatch. Show Skaswatch's posts

Wideman gets nervous when he knows someone is steaming in on him, then he blindly throws the puck up the boards so he can escape a hit. Turnover. Everytime. Watch when he plays up in Montreal. You can see the doodoo stains on his pants by the end of warmups.

He led the Bruins in giveaways. Suprised? No you aren't.

But I'm sure most animosity comes from the fact we gave up another one of our sure-fire young players in Boyes for a guy that was thought suspect at best. Chiarelli rolled the dice and he won. It's clear he can quaterback a powerplay with Big Z, but you take him off the PP or you put him on a team like Atlanta or Florida, and I guarentee you'll see those -30's come right back. As long as he keeps firing tip-ins for Recchi, he's more useful than not. Like any player, as long as he keeps working on his problem areas each year he should round out to a good all-round player. But as of right now he still gets scared, lazy, and is susceptible to brain farts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ogie. Show Ogie's posts

In Response to Re: Denis Wideman:
    Decent start but a weak finish and a playoff no show. But Chara has trouble hitting the net from the point too. There are no Orr's, Bourque's or Park's in terms of a deadly accurate point shot on this squad.
    Posted by Beer-League-Goalie

I chuckle when novice hockey fans complain about dmen not putting the puck on the net.

Over the past several years there has been a HUGE emphasis on shot blocking...why do you think that there is a shot blocking stat that gets discussed so often now...???

Derrr....Brad Park and Bobby Orr played 30+ years ago....derr....derr....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

He moves up through neutral,and moves the puck well.That talent is there,but the grit-hit takes a back seat at times.Ray was the last talent-grit-hit D.He and Orr moved like forwards.Tough combo to come by.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sean71. Show sean71's posts

solid 2nd or 3rd Defenceman,could be stronger in our zone.Takes some risky chances buy grat skater and good first pass out of the zone.I like him

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

He has a lot of talent, but not enough grit. Will throw the occasional hit but likes to pick his spots. Does not play physical enough in his own end and tends to make poor decisions when being pressured. Misses the net from the point way too much, and sometimes not even close. I thought he was going to be a stud early last year, but was very disappointing by the end of the season. Hopefully he can improve, we are going to need him to if we are going to do better this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think his biggest problem is that he sometimes doesn't do the fundamental stuff right.  He was bad at that when he first came to the Bruins, the "riverboat gambling"  people complained about was just him taking short cuts - risky passes rather than high percentage and sometimes just not paying attention.

He improved tremendously under Julien.  A changed man.  What concerns me is that some of the old habits came back in the Carolina series.

Example - wobbly bouncing puck comes out toward the blueline.  Fundamentals say stop the puck first, drop to one knee, use your hands - whatever, but you have to stop the puck first.  Wideman tried to take a swipe at it with his stick - he missed and then it was off to the races with a Carolina forward.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

You guys all summed it up pretty good. 
    I wonder if he was nursing some kind of injury or was it fatigue by season end. His play was in decent towards the end .
    Let's not forget he averaged over 20minutes per game. Not many D's can do that.
    The one thing that really bugs me on Wides is when he turns his back with the puck on the boards ,  he gets pinned more often than not.  One day someone will really crack  him. 
    Careful my man !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

The only negative above post that I can even partially agree with is his errant shot from the point. His point total was still outstanding and this can of course be dismissed as purposefully aiming for the backboards, tipped shots etc.

Averaged huge ice time as bslegion mentioned...who above said he cant hit?? This guy throws massive hits around the ice! Check Youtube, im sure there is some proof on there. You cant base a mans play on this years playoffs alone, he could have been injured, worn out...you never know whats going on behind the scenes. Wideman remains a dependable guy who doesnt have injury problems and can do a little bit of everything. TSN featured him in an article 2 months ago as their top defenseman missing from the canada olympic training camp.

The real and only issue with Wideman is his occasional brain farts in his own end. This happens because he is being used for more than he should be used for. Boston has terrible depth at defense and Wideman was being used as a hitter, a mobile man, a seam passer and a guy who can log big minutes. Its not fair first of all to Wideman, and Ims ure any hardcore fans in here can remember Chara struggling with the same problem of being forced to do too much in his first year with Boston. Im sure most of the negative comments above stem from this fact.

Never judge a GM. Ever. He is far more wise than you and that's why he has the job. End of story. Boston's depth at forward is miles ahead of the blueline, I thought the price was too steep for Wideman at the time, but I did see the 5 steps ahead chess game management was playing considering our draft picks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

Wideman's only issue was hitting the net, from what I saw. And not just from the point.

Great aim unless it was a shot on net. It's like he'd lose his head seddenly. But he got a lot better at that.

Otherwise, he is solid. He's also probably the most improved player, relative to where he was when he first got drafted. All his coaches praise him for that.

He's a classic success story.

imo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThePhantomGourmet. Show ThePhantomGourmet's posts

A point presence and a d-man who can get the puck on net or get a shot that can be deflected is something every team wants. A 105 mph slap shot is no good if it hits the glass or goes way wide. Faster is better yes, but Chara should focus more on shot placement than pure velocity.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beer-League-Goalie. Show Beer-League-Goalie's posts

In Response to Re: Denis Wideman : I chuckle when novice hockey fans complain about dmen not putting the puck on the net. Over the past several years there has been a HUGE emphasis on shot blocking...why do you think that there is a shot blocking stat that gets discussed so often now...??? Derrr....Brad Park and Bobby Orr played 30+ years ago....derr....derr....
    Posted by Ogie

Same old ogie / notacryingwhino. Comments on what others post, and brings nothing new to the discussion. Why not return to the icemantiz board Ogie - or are you still banned for trolling?  Old Winesock is still MIA on Icemantiz so you can post without having to be afraid.  If you ask the mods real nice, they might let you back on.

Cheers

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ogie. Show Ogie's posts

In Response to Re: Denis Wideman : Same old ogie / notacryingwhino. Comments on what others post, and brings nothing new to the discussion. Why not return to the icemantiz board Ogie - or are you still banned for trolling?  Old Winesock is still MIA on Icemantiz so you can post without having to be afraid.  If you ask the mods real nice, they might let you back on. Cheers
    Posted by Beer-League-Goalie

didn't you just comment on my post?

Do you realize that Wideman, Chara, and anybody in the NHL could hit the net from the far blue line if they wanted too?  When there is too much traffic between the shooter and the goalie (hence the emphasis on shot blocking), the shooter will purposly shoot wide to at the very least keep the puck deep and hopefully maintain posesession and continue cycling....

How many times have you seen open net goals score from the far blue line or even further away??? The guys can hit the net at will but they WILL NOT shoot it into the pads of a defender only to have it turned over and go the other way for a break-away or odd man rush...

But, Ole WineySchmuck doesn't understand that because he's a disgruntled, drunk, cynical, loser from Southern Ontario who couldn't afford a Leafs game if he sold his 1983 Zed 28.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Donut-Whisperer. Show The-Donut-Whisperer's posts

Holy cow, another one of you guys obsessed with this Ole Winey character. What the heck is going on?

Sections
Shortcuts