Dennis Wideman is Overrated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Dennis Wideman is Overrated

I usually don't post on here and I hate to sound negative (especially after tonight's amazing victory), but Dennis Wideman is overrated.  He is one of the few players, probably the only one, that is painful for me to watch.  It seems like Wideman is constantly misreading plays as they unfold, which is exactly why he was the cause for the Senators' short-handed goal tonight.  Can someone tell me, what does he bring to the table that other defenseman can't already do?  Wideman is not known for his defense, but rather his "puck-moving ability".  It's pretty hard to move the puck when you're passing to the other team.  I don't know if it's just me, but Wideman is getting some undeserved praise from Julien, Chiarelli, and especially ANDY BRICKLEY. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from greasythumb. Show greasythumb's posts

Re: Dennis Wideman is Overrated

I also noticed that about 75% of his shots miss the net

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from njm800. Show njm800's posts

you are dead on.  he probably looked more out of place tonight than any defenseman ive seen in the last 10 years of watching hockey.  ei the attempted clear on the pk.  

and - i am the furthest thing from some sort of conspirasists - but i feel the nesn analysts MUST be constantly grilled by their managers to keep praising the b's despite their lackluster play.  they can say "a good road period" al they want, but what i saw was the bruins being outplayed for more than 58 mins tonight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from njm800. Show njm800's posts

and god, that 58 minutes was boring hockey

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

He is a great offensive defenseman. Shut up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfbruins. Show mfbruins's posts

Did any of you watch the game!  Wideman took 2 head shots, so he may have been a bit off.  The bz played well for two periods and the first bit of the 3rd.  And they kept coming and played their hearts out and got 2 points.  You guys are all glass half empty.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm not a big Wideman fan, either.  I'm thankful that someone else is noticing that his shots sail wide and/or high a lot.  Chara did that, too, but Chara wised up and doesn't shoot as often.  Less is more in his case.  He's got a bomb, but if the goalie gets a pad on it, the rebound goes out to center ice.

It seems to be that they have to be on top of Wideman, once he gets a little loose he starts making the mental errors.  They have to keep reeling him in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

I was blown away to learn that he had one vote for the Norris Trophy last season.  He looks like his game has regressed.  His decision making seems to have taken a step backward.  Was he concussed in the preseason or something? 

People like to dump on the Morris signing, but he looks like a steal compared to Dennis Wideman right now.  Less blown coverage, vastly better passing, scoring, and improving every game.  I thought that Boychuk brought more to the table than Wideman has so far. 

That said, I hope that Wideman snaps into it soon.  He has been standing out for all of the wrong reasons.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

wideman still can make plays, stuart and ference both are atrocious offensively, stuart a better defensive d-man.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from njm800. Show njm800's posts

watched the game.  i felt second hand embarassment while doing so.  he got buried sooo hard behind the net.  as a D man, any D who is that clueless retreiving the puck to not sense the forcheck is clearly off his game.  (this is just one example).

as for glass half empty, a bruins team that has been playing their C- game at best, taking 5 out of 6 points in last 3 games is a great acheivment, esp againsts philly and ottawa.  this is the kinda stuff* that gets you in the playoffs in the spring, so considering our poor level of play i am ecstatic.  we deserved nothing tonight, but ill take 2 pts.  we probably deserved 2 points the last 3 games but we got 5.  im good with that, but we gotta pick it up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Wideman will improve. He is just getting his legs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from njm800. Show njm800's posts

crono that is very optimistic and i hope you're right.....ive liked boychuk from what ive seen.  big, physical, and big shot.  while eventually i think we'll trade to shore up these spots, i can definately see boychuk moving up the ladder as the season goes if no trades are made.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

I for one am fed up with Wideman...I wish they would deal him and Ference and go with Boychuck and give McQuaid a shot...Boychuck impressed me when he was in the lineup and McQuaid would bring in some size which is needed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Thanks for all of the responses, I thought I was the only one dissapointed with Wideman's play.  Honestly, I've never really liked him.  He was making similar plays last season, they just weren't as noticeable.  I would also like to see Boychuk get some more playing time- he's big, he's solid defensively, and he has a great slapshot.  Hopefully Wideman will improve, but I doubt it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

In Response to Re: Dennis Wideman is Overrated:
    He is a great offensive defenseman. Shut up.
    Posted by fireballer58

Wideman is an average offensive defenseman.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Second half of last year to this young season Denise is/has been absolutely...

TERRIBLE!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think he's high maint.  Like kessel, you have to ride him to keep him at his best or else he gets lazy on you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

I don't think he's lazy, I just think that on top of sub par skating his judgement is bad.

I think he's high maint.  Like kessel, you have to ride him to keep him at his best or else he gets lazy on you.
    Posted by BadHabitude

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In Response to Dennis Wideman is Overrated:
    I usually don't post on here and I hate to sound negative (especially after tonight's amazing victory), but Dennis Wideman is overrated.  He is one of the few players, probably the only one, that is painful for me to watch.  It seems like Wideman is constantly misreading plays as they unfold, which is exactly why he was the cause for the Senators' short-handed goal tonight.  Can someone tell me, what does he bring to the table that other defenseman can't already do?  Wideman is not known for his defense, but rather his "puck-moving ability".  It's pretty hard to move the puck when you're passing to the other team.  I don't know if it's just me, but Wideman is getting some undeserved praise from Julien, Chiarelli, and especially ANDY BRICKLEY. 
    Posted by TimThomas-god

I used to give him the benefit of the doubt as he used to have some impressive moves to stick handle out of trouble and headman the puck but he looks lost out there lately. I would take Boyes back in a heartbeat at this point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

i'd take back the Joe Juneau deal in a heartbeat too, but that's the way it is...Wideman was outstanding for most of last season, I really don't see him as a problem. The guy who is "overrated" is Ference, he's terrible, and he coughs up pucks far more often than Wideman. He can't buy an offensive play, Andrew, while Dennis even when he isn't playing well, still can drive a shot from the point or carry the play the other direction. Stuart also maddens me with his ability to think he can only play right up until the opponent's blue line, then retreat...he's got to start entering the other fricken zone...I'd bring back Brad Stuart, at least that guy could play both ways. Before you go on the Wideman coughup tour, don't forget there are others on the backline whose suckability factor is high.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

you can talk all you want about skaters and the B's d-men all can skate a little..but you need a Ward type or a Hnidy type...they are important to a great team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Last year Dennis Wideman was labeled as the Bruins number two defenseman playing with Chara.  He is not a number two defenseman period.  He is a number 4 at best.  He panics in Claude's defensive system.  At this rate he will be trade bait in early 2010, possibly packaged in a deal.  As for Boychuck playing in his spot, I am not sure he has the wheels.  He has the shot from the point but I am not sure he can get the puck out of the defensive zone.  The other Providence players are not quite ready for the NHL.  Wideman is great at open ice hits like the one against Montreal.  The problem he checked his own teammate.  Terrible is the correct word for his play.  For now we will hope he finds his game and confidence.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Last year Dennis Wideman was labeled as the Bruins number two defenseman playing with Chara.  He is not a number two defenseman period.  He is a number 4 at best.  He panics in Claude's defensive system.  At this rate he will be trade bait in early 2010, possibly packaged in a deal.  As for Boychuck playing in his spot, I am not sure he has the wheels.  He has the shot from the point but I am not sure he can get the puck out of the defensive zone.  The other Providence players are not quite ready for the NHL.  Wideman is great at open ice hits like the one against Montreal.  The problem he checked his own teammate.  Terrible is the correct word for his play.  For now we will hope he finds his game and confidence.  
    Posted by islamorada

Couldn't agree with you more about Wideman, the guy is terrible.  However, I think Boychuk could be a very good NHL defenseman.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

To me he has looked lost in his own end this year & showing no toughness or body position. He can play better but PC has to stop throwing money at these guys after one decent season. I would appreciate him more at 1.5 mill.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jvcardo. Show jvcardo's posts

I agree that Wideman has been a liability in his own zone, but what bothers me most about him is he always tries to force passes or try to make more happen than he is capable of- especially on the power play.  He doesn't have the talent to do that.  Less would be more for him.  I can't tell you how many times I scream at the tv when he doesn't pass to someone open and tries to thread (really force) a pass when there is no lane.  I won't even get into his inability to hit the net or get shots through.

Sections
Shortcuts