Dennis Wideman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikehawkislong69. Show mikehawkislong69's posts

Dennis Wideman

I have watched every bruins game this year except for vs colorado 10/11/09,@ phoenix 10/17/09, vs New jersey 11/27/09, and @ carolina 1/24/10. I understand wideman may not be the best defenseman around. I understand he may be frustrating to watch at times. But everybody on this site throws him under the bus like hes an absolutely terrible defenseman

Is he having a great year? no, but then again not many bruins are having a great year

Is he overpaid? Probably, but only by like 500-800K. Most other teams would give him at least 3 million

Does he make good breakouts? Most of the time. He has his one or two turnovers every now and then, but it doesnt happen 8 times in a game like everyone makes it out to be

Is he having a bad year offensively? probably, but he still has the third most goals for defenseman on the bruins. Chara had 19 last year and has 5 this year. DW 13 last year 4 this year. Its not just wideman its the whole team

Again I know wideman can be frustrating at times, but hes not terrible like everyone makes him out to be. Give him credit we got 2 VERY IMPORTANT points in the standings today because of wideman.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Dennis Wideman

In Response to Dennis Wideman:
    I have watched every bruins game this year except for vs colorado 10/11/09,@ phoenix 10/17/09, vs New jersey 11/27/09, and @ carolina 1/24/10. I understand wideman may not be the best defenseman around. I understand he may be frustrating to watch at times. But everybody on this site throws him under the bus like hes an absolutely terrible defenseman Is he having a great year? no, but then again not many bruins are having a great year Is he overpaid? Probably, but only by like 500-800K. Most other teams would give him at least 3 million Does he make good breakouts? Most of the time. He has his one or two turnovers every now and then, but it doesnt happen 8 times in a game like everyone makes it out to be Is he having a bad year offensively? probably, but he still has the third most goals for defenseman on the bruins. Chara had 19 last year and has 5 this year. DW 13 last year 4 this year. Its not just wideman its the whole team Again I know wideman can be frustrating at times, but hes not terrible like everyone makes him out to be. Give him credit we got 2 VERY IMPORTANT points in the standings today because of wideman.
    Posted by mikehawkislong69

He is playing far better than most people think.Knowledgeable hockey fans are able to see the little things that he does very well(breakout passes,joining the rush,etc.).Unfortunately for Wideman he has made some glaring miscues and has become the whipping boy ever since.He is still getting blasted after todays game yet I would be ecstatic if he played like that every game.If you want to create offence you often have to take risks to make the big play.Malkin leads the NHL in giveaways.It is because players like he and Crosby try to make a big plays that others wouldn't attempt.Wideman tries to make the long bomb passes and most times they work.The trouble is,most fans will only remember if one gets picked off.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wompton. Show wompton's posts

You guys are kidding me.  As a skater, as a defenseman, as a defender, as a team guy, as a point man on the PP, especially as a PK guy, he brings no speed or effort.  I would rather see a ham and egger like Hnidy than continue to suffer through another game with Wideman.

That said, he did rip that backhander today.  Still, trade the bum now even if we can only get a used transmission for the backup Zamboni.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TurkS16. Show TurkS16's posts

In Response to Re: Dennis Wideman:
    You guys are kidding me.  As a skater, as a defenseman, as a defender, as a team guy, as a point man on the PP, especially as a PK guy, he brings no speed or effort.  I would rather see a ham and egger like Hnidy than continue to suffer through another game with Wideman. That said, he did rip that backhander today.  Still, trade the bum now even if we can only get a used transmission for the backup Zamboni.
    Posted by wompton

perfectly said!  Great post.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Wideman makes some brilliant plays at times.  Then, a few OK ones.  And then a total flub.  For defense, consistency is the key.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dankwatts. Show dankwatts's posts

[QUOTE]Wideman makes some brilliant plays at times.  Then, a few OK ones.  And then a total flub.  For defense, consistency is the key.

Wideman has been inconsistent this year but so have so many of the Bruins.  He played a solid game yesterday and he leads the team in blocked shots.  The guy is always sacrificing his body for the team.
    Hunkwick is another story.  Guy has lost his confidence this season.  He should be sitting now.  He has great potential but his play has been very poor this year.

Give Wideman a break the Bs are gonna need him down the strecth.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PheltSaucier. Show PheltSaucier's posts

This is a joke, right? He may be playing slightly better as of late, but there was a good 8 week period where he was probably on the ice for 3/4 of the opposition's goals. I don't care what you do, but if you're a defenseman, you're number one goal should be DON'T GET SCORED ON.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

When the guy decides to come out of a coma -- he can do some good stuff. Just before his goal vs Rangers yesterday -- great moves vs 2 Ranger players. Then to score on a wicked backhand. Since he normally hits the net once per 100 tries -- he should try the backhand more often.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Hes awful! His goal was a lucky backhander. 3 minutes earlier he got burnt and Tuuka saved his butt. He never hits the tape on his first pass, doesn't hit anything and is not fast. He is OVERPAID!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

all i know is is if there is a goal scored or a breakaway given up, wideman is on the ice every time.  that is no coincidence

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsfanforever. Show Bruinsfanforever's posts

Wideman tries to do too much in the other team's zone and often ends up giving the puck away or getting caught up ice leading to an odd man break for the other team. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from roydelaney. Show roydelaney's posts

I was at the game: third row from the glass, half way in between the blue line and top of the circle.  Wideman looked genuinely surprised that his shot went in, let alone hit the net.  I'm not even sure he was trying to hit the net! 

Anyway, it was good to see him get a goal and win a game for us instead of losing one! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

When your relying on Dennis wideman to score the gwg, your team has problems.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I hope he gets traded this summer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

When the guy decides to come out of a coma -- he can do some good stuff. Just before his goal vs Rangers yesterday -- great moves vs 2 Ranger players. Then to score on a wicked backhand. Since he normally hits the net once per 100 tries -- he should try the backhand more often.
    Posted by zamboni24

LMAO-So true.
    It will look excellent seeing him on PP winding up his backhand at the point.

His wide shots have been horrible and when he does not miss the net he has been blocked far too many times. Maybe he has finally come upon the answer, backhand it.

It was his best game in some time and he came away with a gamewinning goal and a plus game, hopefully he gets back to last years midseason form.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Dennis Wideman : He is playing far better than most people think.Knowledgeable hockey fans are able to see the little things that he does very well(breakout passes,joining the rush,etc.).Unfortunately for Wideman he has made some glaring miscues and has become the whipping boy ever since.He is still getting blasted after todays game yet I would be ecstatic if he played like that every game.If you want to create offence you often have to take risks to make the big play.Malkin leads the NHL in giveaways.It is because players like he and Crosby try to make a big plays that others wouldn't attempt.Wideman tries to make the long bomb passes and most times they work.The trouble is,most fans will only remember if one gets picked off.  
    Posted by dezaruchi

The "little things he does very well."  ?????

It's the little things that he ISN'T doing well that is a MAJOR problem.  1) Keeping loose pucks at the blue line, my god, it took him until this year before he started doing it at all, he gave up 2 breakaways in the Canes series because of that.  I've brought it up many a time here, he stopped for a while and now he's back to it again.
    2) High risk passes in low pressure situations.  Turnovers under pressure I can understand, but turnovers that could have been reasonably avoided really hurt.

oh God, this is ridiculous, I could go on and on, all you have to do is watch him and you will see more.  How many routine plays have you seen where he just plain falls down?  How many times in a game where they are behind by a goal he'll be REALLy casual breaking out?  How many times have I seen him under pressure at the point and instead of the safe play (just dump it in), he'll do something risky and honestly his success rate on those must be less than 10%, yet he does it all the time.  And he's BRUTAL on defense, I can't recall him croaking anybody with a check ever, every other defenseman I can, even Seidenberg who just showed up like 20 minutes ago has registered a couple of decent hits.

Yes, his breakout passes are under rated by quite a lot and he is excellent at it for the most part, this guy has talent - AND THAT'S WHY IT IS SO FRUSTRATING TO SEE THESE BRAIN FARTS.

He has an excellent shot, last year he made up for all his sins by the offensive numbers he put up.  This year his weaknesses are highlighted by the lack of offensive numbers he's put up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

When your relying on Dennis wideman to score the gwg, your team has problems.
    Posted by bim09

They didn't rely on wideman to score the gwg. He goal gave them a 2 goal lead and it ended up being the gwg. There is a difference.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

His goal was the one that won the game, wasn't it.   And what does "He goal" mean?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Put Wideman up on the wing. He can't score any less than the other forwards have been on this team.
    Any mistakes he makes as a winger, shouldn't cause as much damage.
       Also, this is a hockey forum, and not a university thesis...Can the grammar police give it a rest?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I thnk the biggest problem is he is trying to do to much.. He can make plays, skates well passses well. But he is trying to hold in pucks to often that he isnt getting to and putting himself out of position, trying to do to much at times on the break out and causing turnovers etc.. He has taken a lot of heat and is probably doing to much to over compensate when he really needs to calm down and simplify things and just not do to much..

Chara has similar problems the season before last (07-08) and how much was made of things last year at "what a higher level" chara performed at when his minutes were kept to 25 pg, as opposed to 28-30..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Dennis Wideman : The "little things he does very well."  ????? It's the little things that he ISN'T doing well that is a MAJOR problem.  1) Keeping loose pucks at the blue line, my god, it took him until this year before he started doing it at all, he gave up 2 breakaways in the Canes series because of that.  I've brought it up many a time here, he stopped for a while and now he's back to it again. 2) High risk passes in low pressure situations.  Turnovers under pressure I can understand, but turnovers that could have been reasonably avoided really hurt. oh God, this is ridiculous, I could go on and on, all you have to do is watch him and you will see more.  How many routine plays have you seen where he just plain falls down?  How many times in a game where they are behind by a goal he'll be REALLy casual breaking out?  How many times have I seen him under pressure at the point and instead of the safe play (just dump it in), he'll do something risky and honestly his success rate on those must be less than 10%, yet he does it all the time.  And he's BRUTAL on defense, I can't recall him croaking anybody with a check ever, every other defenseman I can, even Seidenberg who just showed up like 20 minutes ago has registered a couple of decent hits. Yes, his breakout passes are under rated by quite a lot and he is excellent at it for the most part, this guy has talent - AND THAT'S WHY IT IS SO FRUSTRATING TO SEE THESE BRAIN FARTS. He has an excellent shot, last year he made up for all his sins by the offensive numbers he put up.  This year his weaknesses are highlighted by the lack of offensive numbers he's put up.
    Posted by BadHabitude

93 hits and 93 blocked shots.Respectable numbers.His 43 giveaways are better than 54 other defensemen including Weber,Niedermayer,Souray,Greene,Lidstrom.All I am getting at is that I have watched every game this year and see more positives in his game than are seen by most.Just my opinion(as unpopular as it is).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Has plenty of talent/tools-there is no arguing that.   However, if he gives up a goal every other game as a result of his turnovers you gotta get him out of your lineup.

Can't compare him to other guys based on turnovers when his result in goals.  Did you check his +/- compared to those guys???

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

I just copy my post from the Chara thread.  Is there a Hunwick thread I can post in as well?

Just another one of the Bruins D-men to have their confidence ruined by Julien.  This team will never go anywhere with him as a coach.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Has plenty of talent/tools-there is no arguing that.   However, if he gives up a goal every other game as a result of his turnovers you gotta get him out of your lineup. Can't compare him to other guys based on turnovers when his result in goals.  Did you check his +/- compared to those guys???
    Posted by stingerjp

Granted his +/- is poor but he is on for 23 minutes per game on the lowest scoring team in the league.Look at all of those guys under a microscope and you will find a number of flaws.He was +40 in 2 plus seasons with the bruins before this year.The stats just seem worse since he was +32 last year and -16 now.enough about him.Most fans hate him and I don't mind him.That's all I can say.

Sections
Shortcuts