Details of the Phaneuf trade...not much was given in terms of quality

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dinami. Show dinami's posts

Details of the Phaneuf trade...not much was given in terms of quality

Les Maple Leafs : Dion Phaneuf and via another trade Jean-Sébastien Giguère.
    FOR

Niklas Hagman, Matt Stajan, Jamal Mayers et Ian White.  FLAMES PICK UP Fredrik Sjostrom et Keith Auley.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Details of the Phaneuf trade...not much was given in terms of quality

They just gave up 2 of their 4 top scorers?

We are going to get the #1 pick out of this, if I didn't know better, I would swear that Burke is a Bruins fan.

Second, hopefully the Bruins will realize they need to be nastier, particularly when going to Toronto.  Phaneuf tries to hurt people.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HamiltonBulldog. Show HamiltonBulldog's posts

Wow and they didn't give up Kaberle? Say goodbye to Taylor Hall people

Phaneuf, Sjostrom and Auley

This is a big shakeup that will spark the Leafs.

I think you're dead wrong on this one BadHabitude

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Greatseason. Show Greatseason's posts

Lucky them we won't be alble to get Taylor Hall...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Greatseason. Show Greatseason's posts

At least their DG woke up and did something to help his team! not the same here

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I see how they rack up penalty minutes, I don't see how they score goals.
    Sjostrom has 1 goal this year and 5 assists.
    WHO IS AULEY?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

We weren't going to get Hall anyway. You guys understand the Oilers, not the Leafs, are the worst team in the league?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Fowler or Seguin would be a better pick up. Edmonton will have to deal Hall in a couple of years anyways...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

leafs gave up alot dion is over rated wow sajan and white ,,all i see is a bigger goon team for the leafs ,this will have no effect on anything to do with to.1st pick that the bruins have  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RLSJR65. Show RLSJR65's posts

There is a lottery so you don't have to come in last.  We'll get him with our own pick at this pace.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

I would almost be surprised if Edmonton took Hall with the first overall pick.  He is small.  Their problem is having too many small players up front.  Seguin is a bigger forward with better hands.  I think they would be wise to pick him over Hall.  But that is just my opinion.  However the hype is all about Hall and I am sure that will play a big part in who they pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Not much given up?  Just 2 of the 3 top forwards on the team.  A depth guy in Blake.

What did TOR get?  A big name who is no longer a big talent and a backup goaltender who was great 5 years ago(can you say Manny Four-nandez)?  The Leafs are WORSE today than they were yesterday people.  Burke is a message board hero- he's the GM all these posters WISH was in Boston because he's not afraid to wheel and deal.  However, look at the results... No high draft picks for 2 years, unloading much of his offensive threats, and mired at the bottom of the standings.  People should keep this in mind before bashing PC...

I think Tor just secured us one of the two bottom picks.  If only EDM could win an occasional game!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Yea stingerjp, 2 of the top 3 forwards on Toronto, one being a 30 something player and the other an unrestricted free agent. Both weren't 1st line talent but their numbers were padded because they got to see 1st line minutes.
    Oh and the return. You mean the 24 year old defenseman with 10 goals and who's an all around good player with a booming slapshot and who can deliver thundering hits at any spot on the ice. He's having an off season, it doesn't mean he's over the hill especially at 24 years old. He had 47 points last year, doesn't seem like a guy who lost his talent.
    As for Giguere maybe the time correlation between his play declining and his dad dying shows a little insight into the situation. If Giguere can turn it around he's still a No.1 goaltender. And he was good 2 seasons ago genius, in 07-08 he had a 35-17 record with a 2.12 GAA and a .922 save %, the season after he led the Ducks to a Cup.
    But yea they made a big mistake in giving up Vesa Toskala, whatever will they do without him??? Oh yea, they'll win more games because you can't do much worse when Toskala is in your net.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Greatseason. Show Greatseason's posts

Anyway we are not gonna make the play off... it will take a miracle.. and only mother Theresa could of done that :) so let's pray guys!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

I would take Seugin over Hall or whatever his name is. Fowler also could go 1rst or 2nd.

Hall is not a lock.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

not much was given in terms of quality to this post!! YAWN

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dinami. Show dinami's posts

JT no need to follow this post.  Other GM s needing to get bigger and tougher on d should be kicking themsleves..Phaneuf or Wideman Phaneuf or Morris..Phaneuf with his off season and all..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

This is a dump and no question Toronto is looking towards the future.  Yup the Bruins are favored in this deal.  More moves are coming for Toronto.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Toronto got worse with these deals, no doubt... heck, Boychuk is playing better than Phaneuf right now!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Well JoeSchmoe, it's true that PHaneuf is having a down year and could rebound.  Then again, so could Wideman.  However, would most GM's right now pay for what Wideman was worth last year in a deal???  Burke gave up too much of his team for a question mark.  Bone crushing hits?  If that makes him a good D, you could convert Laraque to a blueliner and get him cheap!!!

You can't argue your point about Toskala...but check out the thread title.  We're debating the Phaneuf trade here.  If you wanna chat up the Leafs trading history start another thread bro.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Edmonton is in last place. And we know about the lottery. That being said, if the draft were tomorrow the Oily's would pick Seguin as they desperately need a centre man, where the Bruins are deep in centre, need a winger. If it's Oily's first and B's second, the B's will have a shot at Hall.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

stingerjp  you made a whole lot of sense.  People seem to forget that we want the Leafs to finish at the bottom this year.  These trades will not help them now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

bslegion I want the Leafs to lose till we don't have their picks, but people crapping on Phaneuf and Burke for a bad season is garbage.
    Burke gutted his team today, clearing out the old regime with the intention to rebuild. He showed he doesn't care about how the team finishes or how high we pick, which I love for both reasons. I think we'll have a great chance at Seguin, Edmonton is playing way too terribly to jump ahead of Toronto and they also want Taylor Hall.
    oh and stinger how can't i argue my point about toskala? Please let me know how I'm wrong about Giguere being better than Toskala, I'd love to hear your opinion.
    As for Wideman you could make the argument that last year was a peak year. While he still does have the potential to put up 50 points a year it's still very possible that last year was the best year we could see out of him. Phaneuf had more years of consistent production, raising his value during an off year. Bob McKenzie made the comparison between Phaneuf and Ian White, saying the deal is better for Calgary now based on both defenseman's performances. He went on to day that White's production this year is most likely as good as it gets, that his production is 100% of his potential. Phaneuf's isn't even close to 100%, with most scouts putting it between 50-70%. Phaneuf is still putting up a +3 even with his decline in production and Calgary's massive fall from grace. 

Hagman is a good scorer but he's 30+ and is purely a goal scorer. Stajan will be a decent 2nd line player, but not a great 2nd liner and certainly not 1st line quality. He is going to become a restricted free agent and will cost them around $3.5-4 million, something Toronto would not have wanted to pay. Mayers is a role player, not quite a goon but not talented enough to be considered a legitimate 3rd liner.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Joe- I was trying to say that you are right about Toskala: he is plain awful and the Leafs are better with Gig.  I was pointing out that the topic thread was about DP.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ViewFrom311. Show ViewFrom311's posts

You guys are forgetting that Toronto sent Ian White to Calgary as part of the deal...he is arguably as good a defenseman as Phaneuf THIS YEAR...this trade was great for the B's.  Toronto will not improve this year...