Devils fined $3 million, 2 draft picks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Devils fined $3 million, 2 draft picks

For the rejected Kovalchuk deal. Per Tweet from Bob McKenzie:

NHL release now out: $3M fine, the max, plus a first rder in one of next four years and 3rd rder in 2011.

$3 million is not a cap hit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Re: Devils fined $3 million, 2 draft picks

Ouch.  So much for the idea that the agreement between the NHLPA and the league was the final word on the Kovalchuk deal.  This leads one to wonder if the league will still try to come after the Blackhawks, Flyers, and Bruins for the Hossa, Pronger, and Savard deals.

On the bright side, the league just found a way to finance the Coyotes for the first three weeks of the season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Wow what a double standard from the NHL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

That's absurd considering there was a loophole in the CBA to exploit originally...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigD7. Show BigD7's posts

Wow, really shocked by this, so here's the damage...

NJ gets Kovalchuk, Anssi Salmela, Jon Merrill (selected using Atl's 2nd rounder)

NJ gives up Johnny Oduya, Niclas Berfors, Patrice Cormier, their 1st rounder in 2010 (#24), and swapped 2nd rounders (#54 gone, #38 in) Note: Altanta packages the 1st and 2nd + M Reasoner, and Jeremy Morin for Byfuglien, Eager, Sopel.

NJ fined $3 mil and looses a 3rd rounder in 2011 and 1st in one of the next four years (as mentioned by duinne).

Was it worth it? I guess the answer to that will be determined after, say the next 3 seasons (if they win a cup). I say 3 because, I think after that the team chemistry will change and I personally don't see NJ being able to build from within, so they become another Kovalchuk/Atlanta team. IMHO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Devils fined $3 million, 2 draft picks:
    [QUOTE]Ouch.  So much for the idea that the agreement between the NHLPA and the league was the final word on the Kovalchuk deal.  This leads one to wonder if the league will still try to come after the Blackhawks, Flyers, and Bruins for the Hossa, Pronger, and Savard deals. On the bright side, the league just found a way to finance the Coyotes for the first three weeks of the season.
    Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. This fine was for an illegal contract. They have ruled those contracts OK.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, really shocked by this, so here's the damage... NJ gets Kovalchuck, Anssi Salmela, Jon Merrill (selected using Atl's 2nd rounder) NJ gives up Johnny Oduya, Niclas Berfors, Patrice Cormier, their 1st rounder in 2010 (#24), and swapped 2nd rounders (#54 gone, #38 in) Note: Altanta packages the 1st and 2nd + M Reasoner, and Jeremy Morin for Byfuglien, Eager, Sopel. NJ fined $3 mil and looses a 3rd rounder in 2011 and 1st in one of the next four years (as mentioned by duinne). Was it worth it? I guess the answer to that will be determined after, say the next 3 seasons (if they win a cup). I say 3 because, I think after that the team chemistry will change and I personally don't see NJ being able to build from within, so they become another Kovalchuk/Atlanta team. IMHO.
    Posted by BigD7[/QUOTE]

Good list, but incomplete. They still have to shed some salary to get under the cap. About $3 million, isn't it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Wow what a double standard from the NHL
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie[/QUOTE]

Yup, agreed, the Devils are one of many teams to circumvent the cap under this CBA. Double Standard for sure.  The NHL Governor's wanted the trend to stop with the rejection of the Kovy original contract. Then inexplicably a fine with lose of draft picks.  The only thought is other teams should be fined and lose draft picks even though the contracts are grandfathered.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devils fined $3 million, 2 draft picks : Good list, but incomplete. They still have to shed some salary to get under the cap. About $3 million, isn't it?
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Good riddance !
    Weren't they already over the cap with the Kovy signing ? and now another 3M , WOW !  They're Fd if this will become fact.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigD7. Show BigD7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devils fined $3 million, 2 draft picks : Good list, but incomplete. They still have to shed some salary to get under the cap. About $3 million, isn't it?
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're right. I was just thinking about how much was given up, players, picks, fines... and now cap casualties.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Not so much a double-standard as it was so much more obvious that this was a circumvention. There is no reason to think Savard will retire before his contract expires. Luongo, maybe, but the rest it is debatable, and none of them were for 500k a year like Kovy's, nor so many years at the end at a rate that will probably be below the league minimum when those years actually get here

Yeah, the B's circumvented it a bit, but nothing as provable as NJ's

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigD7. Show BigD7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devils fined $3 million, 2 draft picks : Weren't they already over the cap with the Kovy signing ? and now another 3M , WOW !  Good riddance if this will become fact.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Yes, they were already over the cap by $3mil with the Kovi signing, but the $3mil fine isn't against the cap... from what I've read so far. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devils fined $3 million, 2 draft picks : I don't think so. This fine was for an illegal contract. They have ruled those contracts OK.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]
    That's what I don't get.  The contract was just approved by the league ten days ago.  Now it's illegal?  I don't understand how they can approve the contract and then turn right around, declare it illegal, and penalize the Devils.  If they can do that, what is to stop them from deciding that the other contracts mentioned are not also illegal and deserving of some penalty?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Ouch.  So much for the idea that the agreement between the NHLPA and the league was the final word on the Kovalchuk deal.  This leads one to wonder if the league will still try to come after the Blackhawks, Flyers, and Bruins for the Hossa, Pronger, and Savard deals. On the bright side, the league just found a way to finance the Coyotes for the first three weeks of the season.

You got it !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Alright, I went back and read Duinne's original post, and see where I was confused.  Somehow I missed that these penalties are for the contract that was rejected, and NOT the current one that was just approved. 

Darn it, I'm usually better at reading comprehension than that.  Guess I'm not fully recovered from the kick-a$$ wedding I attended yesterday.  ;)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Devils fined $3 million, 2 draft picks:[QUOTE] On the bright side, the league just found a way to finance the Coyotes for the first three weeks of the season. Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha nice one mutant but I don't think Savard's will garner a fine because his contract doesn't carry Marc into his 40s nor Pronger's because it's a 35 + contract. Hossa's and Luongo's are more like Kovalchuk's contract blatant disregard of the cap.

Even might Lou gets in some hot water sometimes. Who will Lou dump ?Langenbrunner has an NMC plus his salary is $2.8Mil not enough to clear space, Arnott and Rolston have NMC plus at this stage of the pre-season 5Mil and 6Mil is going to be hard to move. Zajac @ 3.87Mil doesn't have a NMC but is 25 years young and just scored 25 goals last year.

Umm Lou's in more hot water... 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigD7. Show BigD7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devils fined $3 million, 2 draft picks : That's what I don't get.  The contract was just approved by the league ten days ago.  Now it's illegal?  I don't understand how they can approve the contract and then turn right around, declare it illegal, and penalize the Devils.  If they can do that, what is to stop them from deciding that the other contracts mentioned are not also illegal and deserving of some penalty?

I think the penalty is against the original 17 year $102 mil contract not the one that was approved. Bottom line message is, if you're going to submit a contract from this point forward, it had better not attempt to circumvent the cap!

..sorry Mut, see you replied faster than I did :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devils fined $3 million, 2 draft picks : Ha Ha nice one mutant but I don't think Savard's will garner a fine because his contract doesn't carry Marc into his 40s nor Pronger's because it's a 35 + contract. Hossa's and Luongo's are more like Kovalchuk's contract blatant disregard of the cap. Even might Lou gets in some hot water sometimes. Who will Lou dump ?Langenbrunner has an NMC plus his salary is $2.8Mil not enough to clear space, Arnott and Rolston have NMC plus at this stage of the pre-season 5Mil and 6Mil is going to be hard to move. Zajac @ 3.87Mil doesn't have a NMC but is 25 years young and just scored 25 goals last year. Umm Lou's in more hot water... 
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Also consider that not only are the Devils $3 million over the cap, they have only 21 players under contract.

Lou Lam's got some work to do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Devils fined $3 million, 2 draft picks:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devils fined $3 million, 2 draft picks : how much was given up, players, picks, fines... and now cap casualties. Posted by BigD7[/QUOTE]

Yep they gave up allot and have to keep on giving Ouch!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigD7. Show BigD7's posts

Just a thought on these other contracts under investigation, everyone is focused on the age of the player at the end of the contract, but really, isn't it cap circumvention if you pay out $7 mil for 3 years and then low ball the contract at a $1 to bring the cap hit down?

Don't know if the B's are out of the woods yet, grandfathered yes, but open to fines? Hope not, then again it's not my money.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

That's harsh.  It wasn't that blatant, I mean they didn't extend the contract out until he was 50 or something.

I think it would have been fine if they just said no to the original contract and that would be the end of it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devils fined $3 million, 2 draft picks : I don't think so. This fine was for an illegal contract. They have ruled those contracts OK.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

I know they said Savvy's was okay because at the end of his contract he'll still be 39.
    It's those that go past 40 years old that are sketchy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It's not just a tweet anymore.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=333690

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Just a thought on these other contracts under investigation, everyone is focused on the age of the player at the end of the contract, but really, isn't it cap circumvention if you pay out $7 mil for 3 years and then low ball the contract at a $1 to bring the cap hit down? Don't know if the B's are out of the woods yet, grandfathered yes, but open to fines? Hope not, then again it's not my money.
    Posted by BigD7[/QUOTE]

The NHL has already ruled that those contracts are OK. They're not going to go back on that ruling - that would be insane. The fine was for a contract that was deemed illegal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigD7. Show BigD7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devils fined $3 million, 2 draft picks : The NHL has already ruled that those contracts are OK. They're not going to go back on that ruling - that would be insane. The fine was for a contract that was deemed illegal.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

yeah, re-read some articles, and you are right. Savy's contract no longer under investigation, I didn't recall that. Thanks.

Sections
Shortcuts