Devils look horrible, Pittsburg dropping down a notch or two, Buffalo in trouble....Bruins at least 2nd best in the East

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Re: Devils look horrible, Pittsburg dropping down a notch or two, Buffalo in trouble....Bruins at least 2nd best in the East

In Response to Re: Devils look horrible, Pittsburg dropping down a notch or two, Buffalo in trouble....Bruins at least 2nd best in the East:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devils look horrible, Pittsburg dropping down a notch or two, Buffalo in trouble....Bruins at least 2nd best in the East : And yet...here you are!  Making sure the point doesn't pass without comment!  Habs fans cling pretty tight to a history many of them aren't old enough to remember.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

What do Bruins fans cling to? As far as I can tell, many of them cling to Montreal's past as well. That's the point I was making.  There are enough Montreal fans with whom you can't have a hockey discussion without them bringing up "24 Cups", even if that's totally out of context and has no relevance to the discussion. But there are likewise some Bruins fans with whom you can't even hint about the Canadiens without them making references to the Habs past and either a) trying to imply that it wasn't that great to begin with or b) trying to draw a connection from the past and the here and now when there isn't one. Both types of the fans described above are taking idiotic positions.

In any event, I wouldn't count out many of the teams that have been mentioned in this thread. In Montreal's case, the Habs have started with 7 out of 10 points, and their young goaltender has (GASP!) played pretty well. Who knows if it lasts, but considering his age and his talent, it's not out of the realm of possibility? The Bruins look to be in the battle for the NE Division championship all year as well. I don't see a whole lot separating the top from the middle in the Eastern Conference once again, and it wouldn't surprise me if we have another unpredictable playoff year. There's a ton of parity, and while the Bruins are definitely strong contenders, I'm not ready to crown them (nor anyone else) as the favourites in the East just yet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Devils look horrible, Pittsburg dropping down a notch or two, Buffalo in trouble....Bruins at least 2nd best in the East

That's right Kennedy, parity !  Explain this to the Leaf fans thinking they won 4-5 in a row  means they are contenders to win division .  Maybe Florida will fall and so the Isles (again) but Leafs will run in to some trouble later on. I do predict injuries will play a role .
    The Leafs beating Montreal did not impress me.  I think Leafs got a favorable start of the season playing teams with problems. 
    Due to this parity the race between 10-6th spot will be tight. 
    Great for hockey though.
    btw Leafs will likely win their next 2 games also.  Can't wait to read the TO papers.
    Kennedy, I hope you're not a Yankees fan also ?
    As for cup droughts they are significant but the total amount of cups to me right now is insignificant . 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Devils look horrible, Pittsburg dropping down a notch or two, Buffalo in trouble....Bruins at least 2nd best in the East:
    [QUOTE]Dude...they've played 3 games.  Chill out. Remember last year??? Bruins fans are in NO POSITION to jump the gun...ever!!
    Posted by jtassinarisoccer[/QUOTE]
    You're always quick to jump the gun on being an idiot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Dude...they've played 3 games.  Chill out. Remember last year??? Bruins fans are in NO POSITION to jump the gun...ever!!
    Posted by jtassinarisoccer[/QUOTE]

Great, a least I now know you're not a Bruins fan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

LRH is sounding less and less like a 4-0 Leafs fan, and more like a Bruins fan to me...

Judging a team after three games...

TFF !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]"Bruins are at least second best in conference" Ok so the Bruins will finish #1 or #2 in the East. Great. Someone please remind me what happened the last 3 or 4 times the Bruins finished #1 or #2 in the conference...
    Posted by Chowdahkid[/QUOTE]

Ummm... they lost in the playoffs, I am guessing ! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devils look horrible, Pittsburg dropping down a notch or two, Buffalo in trouble....Bruins at least 2nd best in the East : Because I live in New England, see lots of Bruins games, and like to talk hockey. And I don't hate the Bruins; in fact, I have a lot of respect for the franchise. That answer your question, Kemosabe? And how do you know the Habs "are going noplace" in the new world of hockey? The same way we all knew the Bruins were going to win the Eastern Conference last year, and finish 13th the year before? The only thing certain about the new NHL is that teams can rise and fall with amazing rapidity. Here's to the rivalry. And your wishful thinking.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

You should hate the Bruins like the majority of us, Hab fans, do, Kennedy !

Stop being so civil with these turkeys... 

They're like in ninth place or something...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]And the original post is gone - or we'd have to go back to the late 80s and say since 1988, who has won more of the head-to-head series?  That would be the Bruins - 6-4. Habs fans must be getting a little worried that the glory days are receding into the mists - gettin' close to 20 years since they won an improbable one.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

NAW !

Not worried in the least !

CUP #25 ON THE WAY, BABY !

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]LRH is sounding less and less like a 4-0 Leafs fan, and more like a Bruins fan to me... Judging a team after three games... TFF !
    Posted by RMiller87[/QUOTE]
    I'm a fan of good hockey, first and foremost, but I do have some favorites.

First and foremost it's the Leafs for me.  I was raised on watching them and for better or worse that's where my allegiance remains. I like watching Boston (mostly nostalgic from the Orr/Espo days), I hate the Habs, Sens and Flyers.  And, I really, really, really hate Avery.........

I've watched every Leaf game so far and I like what I see with the Leafs, but I also recognize that they have some glaring weaknesses.  Their top players have to remain healthy for them to have a chance at the playoffs.

As it is right now, they have a lot of team speed which can be forgiving, especially when you cough up the puck.  They should be able to skate with just about anyone in the league.  Goaltending is much better but not elite.  Defence is very good overall and contribute fairly well in transition, but they still cough up the puck a bit too much.  Offence looks good early but I think it will slow down except for the Bozak line.  Personally I'd rather see Kulemin on the top line and Versteeg on the 2nd line.    Not sure I've seen too many lines where every forward shoots Right-handed.

Burke acquired some good role players and they may have a legit checking line with Armstrong, Brent and Sjoberg.  PK is so much better because of the speed of the forwards and the PP is improving, especially when Phaneuf goes to the front of the net.  Kaberla is a wild card because he's on a contract year and playing with a lot more intensity then I've seen in recent memory.  He is still one of the best offensive playmakers from the back end.  Schenn is looking more like the player they drafted.

Having said that, they will eventually settle into the team that they are and can finish anywhere between 7th and 10th in the conference. 

Other wildcard is the $4 million in cap space that could turn into a valuable acquisition later in the year from teams that are in cap trouble e.g. NJ.

I'm too old to jump on bandwagons and it's only 4 games so far.  You'll know where teams stand better after about 20 games into the season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devils look horrible, Pittsburg dropping down a notch or two, Buffalo in trouble....Bruins at least 2nd best in the East : I'm a fan of good hockey, first and foremost, but I do have some favorites. First and foremost it's the Leafs for me.  I was raised on watching them and for better or worse that's where my allegiance remains. I like watching Boston (mostly nostalgic from the Orr/Espo days), I hate the Habs, Sens and Flyers.  And, I really, really, really hate Avery......... I've watched every Leaf game so far and I like what I see with the Leafs, but I also recognize that they have some glaring weaknesses.  Their top players have to remain healthy for them to have a chance at the playoffs. As it is right now, they have a lot of team speed which can be forgiving, especially when you cough up the puck.  They should be able to skate with just about anyone in the league.  Goaltending is much better but not elite.  Defence is very good overall and contribute fairly well in transition, but they still cough up the puck a bit too much.  Offence looks good early but I think it will slow down except for the Bozak line.  Personally I'd rather see Kulemin on the top line and Versteeg on the 2nd line.    Not sure I've seen too many lines where every forward shoots Right-handed. Burke acquired some good role players and they may have a legit checking line with Armstrong, Brent and Sjoberg.  PK is so much better because of the speed of the forwards and the PP is improving, especially when Phaneuf goes to the front of the net.  Kaberla is a wild card because he's on a contract year and playing with a lot more intensity then I've seen in recent memory.  He is still one of the best offensive playmakers from the back end.  Schenn is looking more like the player they drafted. Having said that, they will eventually settle into the team that they are and can finish anywhere between 7th and 10th in the conference.  Other wildcard is the $4 million in cap space that could turn into a valuable acquisition later in the year from teams that are in cap trouble e.g. NJ. I'm too old to jump on bandwagons and it's only 4 games so far.  You'll know where teams stand better after about 20 games into the season.
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

Clarke MacArthur has been quite the story for your team, so far.

Kessel and Versteeg (both former Bruins) have been very good as well.

The difference between 5th and 10th in the Eastern Conference will be a couple of points so the Leafs do have a chance at the post-season.

The Leafs offense is much improved this season now that they don't rely exclusively on one player.

Mid-November is a good time to judge where teams are at. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

The Leafs look inspired.  I'm glad to see that.  But, I don't think they will be in the top 8 when March rolls around and teams are tweaking their defensive systems and fighting for playoff spots.  I just don't think they have the roster to get it done this year.  What makes matters worse is the lack of free agents this year.  That's going to make it hard for Burkie to brew up some of those potent trade elixirs.

Love seeing Phil do his thing, but he should have brought that to the table when he was in Boston.  Shame on him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]The Leafs look inspired.  I'm glad to see that.  But, I don't think they will be in the top 8 when March rolls around and teams are tweaking their defensive systems and fighting for playoff spots.  I just don't think they have the roster to get it done this year.  What makes matters worse is the lack of free agents this year.  That's going to make it hard for Burkie to brew up some of those potent trade elixirs. Love seeing Phil do his thing, but he should have brought that to the table when he was in Boston.  Shame on him.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

Dunno.

The Leafs' goaltending duo is solid.

Their offense is currently ranked #2 in the League while their defense is ranked #7.

I am certainly no Leafs fan, but it's hard to argue that a team that is off to a 4-0 start doesn't, at least, have a chance at the post-season.

BTW Isn't it up to a team's coaching staff to get the best out of their players ? 

Sections
Shortcuts