Did Julien lose this team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Did Julien lose this team?

When Ryder could not score to save his life Julien chose to keep him in there.
    When Savard got KO'd by Cooke no one got pissed off.
    Wideman made miscues on a regular basis all year and he played with out being reprimanded.
    The game against Pittsburgh at home after Savvy's concussion was a complete joke.
    Game 5 against Philly a complete JOKE.
    3-0 lead in the Flyers series and 3-0 lead in game 7 (we all no what happened).
    I'm sure I'm missing 10 other things that Julien or the club did that brings up this question.

I never heard one player say how good of a coach Julien is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Re: Did Julien lose this team?

We all know the Bruins have problems, but we can't forget that the team didn't quit on Julien when they could have:  during their March drive to lock up a playoff spot.  They coudl have easily quit on him then.  They didn't. 

Recchi and Savard both publicly praised Julien during the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MILANlucic17. Show MILANlucic17's posts

he needs to go because his style everyone praises is the reason they blow so many leads because they sit back and don't try to score its like playing the prevent defense in football you usualy lose.......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

Without a doubt, they tuned him out. The B's drive to make the playoffs in March was an effort for their teammates, not their coach. They know when they play Julien's style of sit back and defend hockey, that they can't win. When they are attacking , when they are forechecking, when the defensemen join the rush, they look great. It's obvious that they need a coaching change.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

"Without a doubt"?   

With their lack of offense this season, maybe Julien's "sit back and defend" style was the only way this team could win this year.  We've seen players quit on coaches for decades, especially late in the season.  If they hated Julien and didn't want him back, no way would they have surged in March the way they did.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

I doubt they stopped listening to CJ.  Perhaps their play during that ten game losing spiral would have signalled the coach's doom, indicating they had closed their ears like clam shells on his voice. 

Still, I have to wonder why the club would abandon what worked so successfully and effectively for them in the first period of the deciding game, no less and come out for the second and third periods as a completely different team.  The hitting of Philly, the hard skating, the intensity, all but vanished the rest of the game.  It allowed the Flyers to get up off the mat.  I just wonder who should be held accountable for it?  CJ? The players?  A bit of both?  We all watched it happen but why?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Did Julien lose this team?:
    When Ryder could not score to save his life Julien chose to keep him in there. When Savard got KO'd by Cooke no one got pissed off. Wideman made miscues on a regular basis all year and he played with out being reprimanded. The game against Pittsburgh at home after Savvy's concussion was a complete joke. Game 5 against Philly a complete JOKE. 3-0 lead in the Flyers series and 3-0 lead in game 7 (we all no what happened). I'm sure I'm missing 10 other things that Julien or the club did that brings up this question. I never heard one player say how good of a coach Julien is.
    Posted by jwb413

Julien is a stubborn coach when it comes to dishing out playing time.  He will stick with a guy, even when he is struggling.  In some cases, it benefits a player: Wideman was easily the Bruins' worst player in the beginning of the season, but he eventually turned things around and had a great postseason.  But in most cases, Julien's loyalty backfires: Ryder, Wheeler, Hunwick, etc. 

Last year's team played better than expected, and therefore Julien wasn't required to constantly manage playing time.  This year, as everyone on the entire team struggled, Julien failed to make changes.  I guess what I'm trying to say is: Julien needs to make adjustments if he wants to succeed, but I don't know if he would be willing to do that.

That being said, Julien hasn't had much to work with.  And because of the awful deals Chiarelli has made over the past few years, it looks like the Bruins won't be able to afford better players.  The order of firings should go something like this:

Jacobs family (sells team) --- /> Chiarelli fired ---> Claude fired 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

when the bruins lost krecji it was a significant loss....the bruins were not playing the same hockey as the regular season,even different from the playoff drive....it was, were bringing the play to you not you bringing it to us,i call it on your toes hockey....julien had a decision to make & choosing whitfield i think told the bruins players that were goin to circle the wagon,play defensively sound hockey....the kind they played in the regular season,i call it on your heels hockey,letting the other team bring the game to you....for the last 4 games this is the hockey we saw excluding the 1st 10 mins of the 7th game where the bruins once again brought the game to the flyers till that 1st goal,then it was right back to holding on,on your heels hockey....this team is much to jeykll & hyde & 1 mans opinion is that is a direct connection to julien...with all the young,fast talent we have coming up i think the bruins have a great recipe for go after it hockey,but i dont think julien is the 1 to coach that style nor take talent & use it to the advantage of the team.....he takes talent & makes it adapt to the team 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MILANlucic17. Show MILANlucic17's posts

It was just amazing during the playoffs its like the bruins seemed to play better when they got behind in games. I would like to see cj fired but I doubt its gonna happen. Until the final 6 weeks of the season this team layed down like dogs everyone forgets the first 3 quarters of the season. I think his style is better suited for if there was no 2 line passing allowed but in todays game all it does it blow leads when you have them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

I would bring Julien back for another year.I didn't like the way Julien kept going with Wideman,Wheeler and Ryder when they were playing terrible this season. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Did Julien lose this team?:
    When Ryder could not score to save his life Julien chose to keep him in there. When Savard got KO'd by Cooke no one got pissed off. Wideman made miscues on a regular basis all year and he played with out being reprimanded. The game against Pittsburgh at home after Savvy's concussion was a complete joke. Game 5 against Philly a complete JOKE. 3-0 lead in the Flyers series and 3-0 lead in game 7 (we all no what happened). I'm sure I'm missing 10 other things that Julien or the club did that brings up this question. I never heard one player say how good of a coach Julien is.
    Posted by jwb413

No.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

I don't know...how many Bs coaches have got past the first round in the last 10 years...only 1...CJ. 

In the last 5 seasons, who is the only coach to get the Bs to the playoffs?  thats right CJ. 

He seems to be doing something right.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Re: Did Julien lose this team?:
    I don't know...how many Bs coaches have got past the first round in the last 10 years...only 1...CJ.  In the last 5 seasons, who is the only coach to get the Bs to the playoffs?  thats right CJ.  He seems to be doing something right.
    Posted by dbg1

True.  Julien is not a great coach by any means, but is there any other better coach avaliable?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Good thread- many mistakes made by Julien yet somehow the team made it to the playoffs and advanced.

I see CJ as very inconsistent.  Stuck by guys way too long this season.  Sat Kessel when he struggled and then sat Wheeler when he struggled a year ago.  No more benchings this year.  If a veteran struggles, they won't get benched by this guy: see Sturm, Wides, Ryder, and Wheeler.  Only veteran to get sat is TT.  TT is the only one who publicly questioned CJ in any way.  Rask did get them to the playoffs and won a series but CJ stuck by him even when Tuuka ran out of gas in the end of the series. 

Can't figure out CJ at all and I don't think he is the right guy for the B's. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

OK, so let's say you want to fire Julien. Who do you want to replace him?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

If you think no good coaches are available anywhere out there you are mistaken.  With that thought process, no NHL team would ever fire a coach again. 

Sometimes a guy isn't a good fit for a team.  I'm not sure CJ is right for here.  I'm not saying fire him immediately, but i do think he's made plenty of mistakes in the last year. 

Realistically, he is going nowhere due to $$-he just signed a contract extension that begins next season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

What has to happen is pretty simple--- If they are going to keep Julien-- PC has let him know he needs to adjust his system and tactics to allow the skill players the ability to use their skills more often.  Julien's Defense first system has to be converted to a more open style of play.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

What has to happen is pretty simple--- If they are going to keep Julien-- PC has let him know he needs to adjust his system and tactics to allow the skill players the ability to use their skills more often.  Julien's Defense first system has to be converted to a more open style of play.
    Posted by JYaso

i like this! & as we have seen they have the talent to do this & more on the way....i still dont trust julien in releasing the reins & letting the talent take over....the game should be a fun game to play even for professional hockey players....julien just doesnt seem to let them have fun which is a concern for there unenthusiastic play,sometimes they just look very robotic,unemotional specially in the regular season.... it has to be exhausting mentally & physically.... as a coach replacement how bout dave poulin?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

The fact and the matter is that Julien got the Bruins past the first round for 2 years in a row...who was the last coach who did that.  At the same time he is not cappable to motivate his team or confort them in critical situations.  It is unacceptable to loose with a 3-0 lead.

I have mixed feelings about CJ right now!  Let's not forget that he still has a few years in his contract.  If the Bs fire him it will be a rookie coach.  One of the rookie coach that i would give a try is Randy Conneyworth...but it would mean flip a coin!! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

The fact and the matter is that Julien got the Bruins past the first round for 2 years in a row...who was the last coach who did that.  At the same time he is not cappable to motivate his team or confort them in critical situations.  It is unacceptable to loose with a 3-0 lead.    I have mixed feelings about CJ right now!  Let's not forget that he still has a few years in his contract.  If the Bs fire him it will be a rookie coach.  One of the rookie coach that i would give a try is Randy Conneyworth...but it would mean flip a coin!! 
    Posted by lucaooo

Disregarding my curiousity about what it entails to "confort" a team, the question is: How do you know what Julien is or isn't doing with this team behind closed doors?

At any rate, he can't put the puck in the net for them, and bottom line, that's what it came down to all year, and in the playoffs. I find it difficult to point fingers at a coach whose team gutted through a horrible season of injuries and fought their way back from 12th place to sixth in the final month. That's not a team a coach "lost," if anything, it's just the opposite. And then they came within a broken wrist and a few hit posts of making it to the EC finals.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I just think the team was not inspired.  They played uninspired all season long and even acknowledged it as far back as December.  I think they really missed not having a top line and a big time stud to feed off of.  The lack of "the guy" really messed with this teams psyche.

Lets hope they can find one this summer, because I don't think i can take another season of bipolar-hockey.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

I just think the team was not inspired.  They played uninspired all season long and even acknowledged it  as far back as December.  I think they really missed not having a top line and a big time stud to feed off of.  The lack of "the guy" really messed with this teams psyche. Lets hope they can find one this summer, because I don't think i can take another season of bipolar-hockey.
    Posted by bim09

bim09 - To your thoughts of our club being long-since uninspired, with the word complacency being floated around by some players, Lucic, in particular, it makes me wonder if the Bruins just couldn't stand or manage whatever success came their way.  I'm not sure who would be held accountable for that; CJ or the players.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

Posted by JYaso
    Considering the horses that we had I liked Julien's Defensive approach.I like the system he employs but he kept going to guys who were not getting it done:Wheeler,Ryder,Wideman.I like Wideman's instincts in the offensive zone but he is too much of a liability in his own zone.I would sooner see the B's shed the dead wieght and keep Julien one more year. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from flag-waiver. Show flag-waiver's posts

Be a little better if the GM can fill some holds. Cheap Bruins...Coach does his job, but have  f e w  players that can score. Defense broke down                                                                                                                                                                                                                 .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MILANlucic17. Show MILANlucic17's posts

Some changes need to be mad well can agree on that I would think.

The players that were on last years team didn't learn a thing from there choke job last year in the second round of the playoffs. I was at game 2 of the carolina series last season the bruins went through the motions after killing them in game one. Then when the series went to carolina the bruins effort looked questionable at best. The bruins were down 3-1 in the series then decided to sacrafice and do what was needed or bring the efort. Game 7 didnt go our way so you say well i guess the guys learned the effort and intensity level needed to win the playoffs.

This season we beat the sabres wich was no fluke. Even when the bruins lost game one they outplayed out worked the sabres. Game 5 of that series this team had a chance to oust the sabres and apparently thought all they had to do was step on the ice that night and it would happen because they looked like zombies out there no effort no intensity. They played hard won game 6.

This series we all know what happend vs the flyers but to me the series was lost in game 5 when the bruins like so manny times this season looked disinterested and lazy.

Thats 2 straight years of losing series they should have won. I blame the coach and the players. Players are harder to move because of the cap so I say get rid of claude 3 years is a long time in coaching the same team they need a new coach in here so the players are no longer complaciant. When you see players like ryder and wideman playing auful hockey did the coach ever scratch them? No..... A new coach in here would make the players motivated because they would have to earn the coaches playing time.

Fire claude its time. It would be one thing if we lost either of the last 2 seasons to teams that you could say oh well they were just better.