Did the bruins come out the draft smelling like Roses or

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mebackagin. Show mebackagin's posts

Did the bruins come out the draft smelling like Roses or

I personally didn't see anything to get excited about I think they failed to achieve with 2nd round prospects what they could have accomplished there were 2nd rounders Like John McFarland and Alex Petrovic and more that we're available. and When I saw how low Cam Fowler went in the draft I wondered if we hadn't gotten Horton we could have easily traded up and picked up Fowler. Speculation sure and time will tell but I have a feeling they dropped the ball in the 2nd round everyone even the causal fan knew it was Seguin after that?  I give Tallon of the Panthers an A the B's a D I think it stunk!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brandonboys1. Show brandonboys1's posts

Re: Did the bruins come out the draft smelling like Roses or

I agree and have said as much on other posts. Some folks r saying give this draft a chance and they haven't played yet, yada yada yada. But isn't that what a forum is for? To discuss the pros and cons? It's nothing against the other draftees, I just expected more and felt the pieces were in place for that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

aside from Seguin we might have to wait a long time before seeing how this draft pans out....  we're still waiting on PC's first draft class of 2007....  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Seguin was a no-brainer. Cool

All the drama over who to pick at #2? Easiest pick PC will ever have to make. "The Boston Bruins are happy to select.. The other guy".

The other picks were O.K. I'm disappointed with the 2nd round picks considering the players that were on the board at the time. But I actually like their round 4,5 and 6 picks.

#32, Jared Knight, C, 5'11", 190#, Ranked #82 overall. After his diabetes was diagnosed and the medication took effect he turned it on and finished strong. IMO he's not worth picking 50 spots higher than his ranking. If you want to take a risk here do it with Kabanov or Merrill! Frown

#45, Ryan Spooner, C, 5'10", 172#, Ranked #39. 1.15 ppg average in the OHL, Won the Most Sportsmanlike Player award so he doesn't take stupid penalties. Offensively gifted, but a smaller player who broke his collarbone last season. Will he put on 10-15 pounds in order to be able to handle the physical play in the NHL without sacrificing his speed and agility? Undecided

#97, Craig Cunningham, LW, 5'10", 185#, Ranked #108, Another small player with good offensive potential. I like this pick. He could put on another 10-15 pounds of muscle and be a solid contributor. Trains with Lucic in the off-season so I have to believe they sought his input. Smile

#135, Justin Florek, LW, 6'4", 195#, No final rank, Finally some size. Big wing with scoring potential, will likely spend another season or two at Northern Michigan. Smile

#165, Zane Gothberg, G, 6'1", 177#, #6 NA goalie, Won the Brimsek Award as the top HS senior goalie in the state of Minnesota. 1.88 GAA .922 Save% He'll play at North Dakota. I like this pick. He'll be allowed to develop in college so we won't see any results for about 3 seasons. Goalies take longer to develop but I like the potential in this kid. Smile

Last 2 picks... Are one of these players the next Jonathan Ericsson? It would be nice if one could buck the odds and become a good NHL player.

I feel that we could have made the steal of the draft by taking Kabanov with #32 or #45. We also didn't take some very good defense prospects, such as Merrill, that had slipped to round 2 either. It feels to me that not much thought went into the picks after Seguin. The Bruins picked safe players. I can see the philosophy in that. But once in a while you have to take a chance on a player who has the abilities of a Kabanov.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Given how all over the place post #2 picks were (as compared to professional mock drafts) I am starting to think giving up the #15 for Horton may be a good deal.  If there is clearly no consensus for picks 4 through 30, chances are it is not because all of them are going to be NHL studs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Maybe more like Carnations.  I give it a B-.  I think they dropped the ball with the high 2nd round pick.  I think they could have gotton more value for their position.  Spooner was a decent pick.  Could be genius, we'll have to wait and see.  I'm not crazy about his size or speed but the kid has skill.  Nice kid too.

I like the Chudinov pick for obvious reasons.  I also like the back story there with Philadelphia.  I hope Max signs here soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I like this draft. Seguin, Horton for #15, and Jared Knight I find intriguing. On the London Knights official website, Jared Knight is listed as a RW (5.11, 190 1lbs) . . . .  so obviously he can play the wing.

What really impresses me about him, is that he scored 10 goals in 12 playoff games for the London Knights last season. He played wing with the Leafs Kadri, and it seems that once he was diagnosed and treated for diabetes, his production shot up. Maybe the Bruins were anticipating that the Leafs or another team would have taken him, if they did not at pick #32.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

How are we supposed to know, we haven't seen any of these guys play in the NHL.  Just wait a couple of years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

In Response to Re: Did the bruins come out the draft smelling like Roses or:
    I like this draft. Seguin, Horton for #15, and Jared Knight I find intriguing. On the London Knights official website , he is listed as a RW (5.11, 190 1lbs) . . . .  so obviously he can play the wing. What really impresses me about him, is that he scored 10 goals in 12 playoff games for the London Knights last season. He played wing with the Leafs Kadri, and it seems that once he was diagnosed and treated for diabetes, his production shot up. Maybe the Bruins were anticipating that the Leafs or another team would have taken him, if they did not at pick #32, thus maybe the rush.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

He was snubbed for the combines before the draft so along with his trainor they made their own combine video....check it out on U-tube....punch in Jared Knight U-Tube and I think every Bruin fan will be pleasantly surprised!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I agree and have said as much on other posts. Some folks r saying give this draft a chance and they haven't played yet, yada yada yada. But isn't that what a forum is for? To discuss the pros and cons? It's nothing against the other draftees, I just expected more and felt the pieces were in place for that.
    Posted by brandonboys1

You're right, a forum is about discussing pros and cons. Voice your opinion on which players are better. But saying that without actually seeing any of the picks play ????? How can anyone take you seriously ? I live In Ontario . Are you going to take my scouting report on a kid playing in B.C. who I've never seen play ? No , you are going to say this guy knows no more then I do. If you told me you've seen all players that you are talking about play , then I'd say great post . Otherwise....yada...yada.....yada.  Seeing is believing. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Is 6'4" 195 "bigger" than 5'10 190?  Tall skinny kid vs potential firehydrant?  Reach matters, but I find Knight a more-and-more interesting choice.  A winger who will take off the post going to the net if that's what it takes; a former NHLer saying he's a 50 goal guy if he goes back to the OHL.  Sounds like a second round version of that other guy the Oilers took.  Who, for the record, is only about an inch taller than Knight, and weighs 5 pounds less.

You can't get too hung up on the rankings when looking at 'value' on these picks.  I'm not sure Bergeron or Lucic was ranked anywhere near where the Bruins took them.  I remember wonder who the F is this Lucic?  They spend a 2nd rounder on a goon?  Really?!?  And I distinctly remember watching O'Connell look like the cat who ate the canary when they got Bergeron.

The rankings are conventional wisdom.  If you draft by the rankings, you probably don't have any genuinely knowledgeable, opinionated scouts.  As for Kabanov, well...I guess we'll see what happens with him, but I'd bet that he's a bigger name and a bigger risk, and not actually a better prospect than the guy they picked.  Remember the great lesson of Lawrence Phillips - First round talent, third round pick, 1001th round head.  Or ask the Raiders about that JaMarcus guy....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

In Response to Re: Did the bruins come out the draft smelling like Roses or : He was snubbed for the combines before the draft so along with his trainor they made their own combine video....check it out on U-tube....punch in Jared Knight U-Tube and I think every Bruin fan will be pleasantly surprised!
    Posted by saultont

PC said in the Boston Herald that Knight "tested better than a lot of guys and he’s almost 200 pounds” . . . . That Youtube link shows why Knight is able to go to the net like a "BULL IN A CHINA SHOP".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's also worth noting that they did something you don't see very often - they picked two 20 year olds, including Cunningham.  With Warsofsky, they've now added three guys who are roughly the same age as Colborne and Caron - looking for a critical mass at that age group?

I've gone on (and on and on) record about overagers and what kind of stock you can put in their numbers, so I'm skeptical about those two picks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

How are we supposed to know, we haven't seen any of these guys play in the NHL.  Just wait a couple of years.
    Posted by TimThomas-god

Spectacular post.  How incredibly stupid it is the idea of even forming an opinion on these kids when they were only drafted 48 hours ago.  To suggest that Chiarelli did a poor job because the 2nd round pick isn't to ones liking is simply the folly of someone who's been hit in the head with a brick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Is 6'4" 195 "bigger" than 5'10 190?" Great point Book! These kids are what 17, 18, 19, 20 and still growing. They haven't reached there full height or weight not even close.

There is one person everyone should ask how the Bs did umm Brian Burke!