does anyone see the problem?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsCupiN09. Show bruinsCupiN09's posts

does anyone see the problem?

everyone is saying that charelli is tearing apart the team which i do agree with but theres a bigger problem. the players motivation. the bruins last year would come out of the gate flying every game or most games. this year they jus seem like they are half a$$ing it. also thomas and rask need to step it up a notch. thomas has looked like scum in net so far this year. if the bruins keep going at the rate their going at, i jus hope that they get like 2 top 5 picks including the #1 pick from toronto. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwoods7977. Show cwoods7977's posts

Re: does anyone see the problem?

You are exactly right. Sorry but the 3 AHL amigos Marchand, Sobotka, & Paillie are not going to make up for the shoddy goaltending, the 57 goals of Kessel & Kobasew, or the inept special teams. The Bruins problems run far deeper then calling up 2 guys from the AHL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThirdJersey. Show ThirdJersey's posts

PP and PK is the issue, and why the defense is asleep, i dunno. Let this *new* group have a run and we'll see. We'll know by the end of November -- when they actually play games -- how good we are. We'll also get Looch back, sometime...

Bring the circus back to town and start with a 5 game road trip. I'm starting to think that was a better idea!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsking. Show bruinsking's posts

wow !!! you blame the goaltending when we are being outshot two to one . chances 3 to 1 . I would like to once go in a different direction.
     terrible COACHING
    our system
    definition bend don't break defense
    our system is to back up on the goaltender and keep the shot to the outside . don't worry about standing the offensive player up or getting  a stick in front of the shot. well this worked last year for one reason our experienced guys like wardo and shane just didn't listen and were good enough to keep the players outside and do something nasty to them when they came inside plus wardo was one of the best shot blockers of all time.
     this years team is so small , docile and slow they are backing up inside the faceoff circle. giving up the shot and screening our goaltender plus usually deflecting the shot as it goes through there legs.
    lets get a d coach that stands the players up as they cross the blueline. get a stick on the shot lets be mean and nasty. untill we do this . We are in big big trouble

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsking. Show bruinsking's posts

wow !!! you blame the goaltending when we are being outshot two to one . chances 3 to 1 . I would like to once go in a different direction.
     terrible COACHING
    our system
    definition bend don't break defense
    our system is to back up on the goaltender and keep the shot to the outside . don't worry about standing the offensive player up or getting  a stick in front of the shot. well this worked last year for one reason our experienced guys like wardo and shane just didn't listen and were good enough to keep the players outside and do something nasty to them when they came inside plus wardo was one of the best shot blockers of all time.
     this years team is so small , docile and slow they are backing up inside the faceoff circle. giving up the shot and screening our goaltender plus usually deflecting the shot as it goes through there legs.
    lets get a d coach that stands the players up as they cross the blueline. get a stick on the shot lets be mean and nasty. untill we do this . We are in big big trouble

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Re: does anyone see the problem?:
    [QUOTE]wow !!! you blame the goaltending when we are being outshot two to one . chances 3 to 1 . I would like to once go in a different direction.  terrible COACHING our system definition bend don't break defense our system is to back up on the goaltender and keep the shot to the outside . don't worry about standing the offensive player up or getting  a stick in front of the shot. well this worked last year for one reason our experienced guys like wardo and shane just didn't listen and were good enough to keep the players outside and do something nasty to them when they came inside plus wardo was one of the best shot blockers of all time.  this years team is so small , docile and slow they are backing up inside the faceoff circle. giving up the shot and screening our goaltender plus usually deflecting the shot as it goes through there legs. lets get a d coach that stands the players up as they cross the blueline. get a stick on the shot lets be mean and nasty. untill we do this . We are in big big trouble
    Posted by bruinsking[/QUOTE]

Wow - someone who actually watches with an unbiased eye, and gets it

GREAT POST !!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Our defense and special teams have been horrendous

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Savard out w/broken foot=another loss tonight. 5-2 Preds.

When do we officially move from saying "it's early" to admitting "it's over"?

The team stunk before Savard and Lucic went down and Kobasew went away. Now they're horrendous. But I'm sure the JJ/PC enablers will crawl out of the woodwork to explain why we should be planning the Cup Parade instead.

Ostriches with heads stuck deep in the sand.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davids508. Show Davids508's posts

I agree totally that this team is too small,too meek,and too complacent.Even when they win,they bore the stuffing outta me.Lucic is out 4-6 weeks,so who does PC get to replace him?? Daniel Paille,who is comparatively small,and non-physical.Wasnt there someone available who is 6'4" 225 and can score 10-15 goals,and has an ability to handle the rough stuff??Kobasew is too small in my opinion,but he DID hit.He was not the problem here,and neither is the goaltending.Chara and Stuart need to find their mean streaks,Hunwick,Ference and the overrated Wideman need to find the Exit door,and Chiarelli needs to find a clue.Zdeno White and the 7 dwarfs aint cuttin it.Anyone have Scott Stevens' phone number?? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Just one quick note....it's early and they may get started......but if they don't......isn't it amazing how teams shift one year to the next in hockey? 

Last year they started 2-5*  (*Losses and OT Losses combined for illustrative purposes).  They then went 27-5 from Oct 21 - Feb 7, arguably the best team in hockey.  From Feb 8 to the end of the season they went 24-19*.  Then the playoffs began.

My question.....which is the real team here.....perhaps we all (Bruins Mgmt included) were deluded into thinking that this team was better than it was.  Perhaps those 3+ months were an aberation.  Food for thought folks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: does anyone see the problem?:
    [QUOTE]Savard out w/broken foot=another loss tonight. 5-2 Preds. When do we officially move from saying "it's early" to admitting "it's over"? The team stunk before Savard and Lucic went down and Kobasew went away. Now they're horrendous. But I'm sure the JJ/PC enablers will crawl out of the woodwork to explain why we should be planning the Cup Parade instead. Ostriches with heads stuck deep in the sand.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]
    I think your brain needs a reboot to get the word "enabler" out of your vocabulary.  You really use it way too often.  Anyone who supports the team or is positive about its future is one.  Silly us for looking on the bright side, when there is no functional use for looking on the down side of something which is solely for entertainment purposes.
    If Savard misses 4 weeks, he's still in the lineup another 60 games.  If he is out 6 weeks, he'll be back with 50 remaining.  Loosing him is a blow, but if they can scrape and claw out a 0.500 record while he is gone, they should still be in spitting distance of a playoff spot.  So why throw in the towel when there is still a chance?
    And really, the whole point of this is to enjoy the ride, and sometimes a few bumps on the way just make it more interesting in the end.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, I really don't get the quitter mentality, DrCC.  What makes me laugh is the juxtaposition in some of the posts: "This team has no heart! They shut down at the first sign of adversity! We're 3-4 and Savard's out for a month - the season is over!"  It's even weirder from people in Boston, where there's at least one good example of a core star going down with an injury and some guy who was the back-up doing a pretty passable job of filling in - think he won three Tidy Bowls or whatever they give out in that sport.

I'm not sure what's more perplexing: the quitters or the reality-challenged.  David - name me 10 guys who fit the bill you've described.  I'll spot you a few and you explain to me how the Bruins were going to pry these guys away, assuming they'd want to:

Dustin Byfuglien
    Ryan Getzlaf (giving him an extra 5 lbs)
    Todd Bertuzzi (giving him a bit of height, and assuming he can handle fighting guys who are facing him)
    Dustin Penner

That's 4 and I've covered the first half of the league alphabetically.  Point being that 6'4" 225lb guys who can play a bit aren't something you wander down to the jerk store and pick up off the rack.  I'm guessing the answer to your question is that Chiapete didn't go pick one up because there wasn't one available.

As for the passivity of our D, I don't disagree with the assessment of how the system works or how they're playing it right now, but I doubt changing the system is the answer.  Right now they're sagging way way too much, and that's a function of the unit not being in synch, but that's execution not system.  When the system worked last year, it kept guys from getting out of position and looking for the big hit.  It kept the spacing between the forwards and the d in place to shut down passing lanes and start break-outs.  It led to lots of shots against, but compatively few real chances.  Right now, because they aren't executing, teams are getting into areas where a long shot becomes a real chance, and the chances are going in.  If they play the system correctly, like they did last year, that will change.  And yeah, when someone comes into the middle, they have to pay.  That's part of playing the system in part because you're supposed to have more help in the middle.  You miss, at least there's more than your jock between the forward and the goal.

In the 700lb line era, the Bruins used to outshoot teams all the time and lose.  Big moral victory there.  The Problem would feather a pass to Murray or Knuble, who'd hammer it into the goalie's crest, and they'd all go back to the bench and say "Good shift!  Had some good looks! We're getting our shots!" (No, I wasn't in the McGuire box at the time, but that was pretty much The Problem's exit interview statement.)