Does the punishment fit the crime?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stephen-A-Smith. Show Stephen-A-Smith's posts

Does the punishment fit the crime?

Mike Liambas was suspended for the year including post season for this hit on Ben Fanelli in a OHL game. The suspention ends Liambas junior career. Fanelli has a fractured skull, fractured orbital bone and facial lacerations.  what do you think?

Mike Liambas: 20 years old 5'9" 204 lbs.
    Ben Fanelli: 16 years old 6'1" 175 lbs.

Low definition
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKvkvIu0QOk

high definition
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1a12G5xWYE&feature=related

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Re: Does the punishment fit the crime?

It was a legal hit so the punishment is to much....  The problem is that in the hockey culture is good to deliver bone crunching hits.  Bone crunching means "intent to injure".  No respect for anyone.  The harder the hit the better it is even if it has no postives results on the play.  I blame the establishment for this.  It is a shame.. look at all the stars that are out of the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

16??? Child abuse!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In this instance yes it does..I wish Dave Branch was metting out justice in the NHL instead of that clown Campbell..

First of all this guy Liambas has a reputation and has been put on the carpet for prior offenses.. Repeat offender... He has limited skills as a player and is only out there to intimidate.
    Second, and I think this was the telling tale.. The speed at which he came at the kid was  excessive, so was the hit to take  an opponent out of the play .. The other problem I have is the OHL allowing an overagers to play against 16 year old kids.. This guy obviously not good enough.. Its men against boys..

Ever since the NHL instituted no obstruction , it was open season on defensemen. Long are the days when your defense partner would ride this oncoming guy out of the play and this type of hit would have been avoided.. There will be more unfortunately as these forwards as big as they are can take runs from the blue line in and basically go untouched and inflict hurt on a defenseman like never before.. Good on Branch to deliver a message , you want to play that game , then you will sit.. NHL take head..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

i don't know about his prior offenses, but i think the punishment is kind of ridiculous....the kid turned. It scks he got hurt and everything, but I don't see why he essentially got kicked out of the league because the kid turned

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

It was close 3 games. Alot of violent hits lately they have to do something.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

yes!  that was total careless & disrespectful hit on a unprotected player....when you take 6 full strides & hit the guy its charging! when you angle wrong, miss the player your trying to hit & bring your elbow up to his head its elbowing! when you take 6 full strides & in full force with your whole body bring your elbow up to someones head,you dont belong in hockey!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stephen-A-Smith. Show Stephen-A-Smith's posts

My issue is that the hit was legal. His elbows are down and he didnt leave his feet or launch himself. The league is clearly punishing result over intent in this situation. I believe that size and age are this biggest contributing factors in what happened. The suspention is a CYA move by the league that does not want to answer questions as to why 20 year olds and 16 year olds are playing against each other. A would be sophmore in high school playing against a would be junior in college is a disaster waiting to happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

NO! that was not a legal hit...once again,when you take 6 full strides into a opponent its CHARGING....when your angle to the player is goin to miss him or the guy moves to not get hit & you throw your elbow out to hit him its ELBOWING....when you do both & throw the elbow to the head there reasonable doubt that you were just doin a bodycheck....the guy was out to hurt him seein a defenseless guy circleing around the net & taking 6 full strides to him he hasnt many places to go....his choices get buried into the net or smashed against the boards   there has to be a lil respect in the game or it could become barbarica real easy

Sections
Shortcuts