Don Cherry...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Don Cherry...

What do you all think of him? I'm interested in other hockey fans opinions of the guy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Re: Don Cherry...

In Response to Don Cherry...:
    [QUOTE]What do you all think of him? I'm interested in other hockey fans opinions of the guy.
    Posted by MDsizzle[/QUOTE]

Tells it like it is & is an icon in Canada! HE ROCKS!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DonCherry. Show DonCherry's posts

I love Grapes

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthony3063. Show anthony3063's posts

Great Bruins coach who got the most from a team that never had enough talent to beat the Canadiens, typical Bruins management move runnin him out of town.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan76. Show bruinsfan76's posts

Tells it like it is & is an icon in Canada! HE ROCKS! maybe western canada,the east hates himthe only reason i can even stand him is cuz he loves the Bruins,otherwise he's a loser.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Don Cherry...:
    [QUOTE]Tells it like it is & is an icon in Canada! HE ROCKS! maybe western canada,the east hates himthe only reason i can even stand him is cuz he loves the Bruins,otherwise he's a loser.
    Posted by bruinsfan76[/QUOTE]

Im from the east! You know e-1 in the East do you? You must be french! lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from s2e42o. Show s2e42o's posts

Cherry is a legend!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

In Response to Don Cherry...:
    [QUOTE]What do you all think of him? I'm interested in other hockey fans opinions of the guy.
    Posted by MDsizzle[/QUOTE]

Why the zany clothes?  Is he trying to make a statement or just attract attention?  Sure, you gotta admire individuality and respect style, but there is something vaguely obscene about the way he dresses.  I can't quite figure it.

He loves hockey and really cares for the future of the sport, for helping kids get into it and stay safe in it.  He often warns or advises about dangerous situations on the ice.

As the Bruins' coach in the seventies, he was amazing.  He got the best out of his team, and kept them up for every game.  Confrontational in the extreme.  Was he the one who told referee Koharsky to "have another donut?"  And there's the famous pic of him standing on the bench with outstretched arms.

On the negative side, he seems to revel in hockey violence, not as just a way of being firm and strong but in a kind of "blood lust".  I think he coined the phrase "chicken Swede".   Milbury and O'Reilly were his warriors and he told them who to go after.  Milbury would go berserk, one time pounding a man already down in the face many times, and Don Cherry loved it.

Like most fans, I always watch him and listen carefully when he's on.  Sometimes I think he's a total egomaniac whacko, and dislike the way that interviewer plays into it, but then Don usually says something that really makes sense and shows, under all the bluster, that he cares not only for the game but, even more, for the welfare of those who play it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheese72. Show cheese72's posts

that was jim shonfield coaching the devils with the donut comment

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

[QUOTE]that was jim shonfield coaching the devils with the donut comment
    Posted by cheese72[/QUOTE]

right you are

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Schoenfeld

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

You should read his book pretty funny! He is a self promotion machine and that's how he keeps his job. He's a huckster no doubt and ruffles feathers which is why he is watched. He's that media person who says what other people are thinking.

I don't always agree with what he says but I am a big fan! He'll be fun to watch when he's on NESN coming up soon. I would recommend his book ,DON CHERRY BOSTON BRUINS VINTAGE VIEW OF HOCKEY, he wrote it dedicates a whole section for his love for "not wild about Harry!" Sinden. Now that would be a treat to have Sinden, Milbury and Grapes analyzing games in between periods.
    LoL!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

He is definatley entertaining, i'll give him that.

Alot of the time on Saturday nights i will try to flip over to see his bit in the intermission. Always something interesting/entertaining.

I just find him a bit contradicting, like when he got on AO for his "hot stick" act or when he got on Crosby for that sick behind the net goal in the juniors. Cherry does the same thing in his field, just with the outragiously loud suits and ego maniac mannerisims.

Either way, he's entertaining and i watch him when I can. I like his bits on Savvy and his "stick love", its true. Next time you see Savvy on the bench inspecting his stick, he reminds me of a speechless 6 year old kid on christmas morning, lol. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

I really like Don Cherry.  I don't always agree with what he says, but I admire him for putting his opinions out there.  Love him or hate him, he always prompts thought and discussion on the issues that he talks about.  Ron McLean make the perfect partner, often keeping Cherry on point during his all-too-short Coach's Corner segments. 

He was supposed to appear on NBC hockey broadcasts either last season or the one before, but for some reason that never came to fruition.  I guess that NBC was afraid that Cherry would offend the sensibilities of Bettman's target audience.  Unfortunately, the things that Cherry talks about on Coach's Corner would go right over the heads of most casual American NHL viewers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan76. Show bruinsfan76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don Cherry... : Im from the east! You know e-1 in the East do you? You must be french! lol
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

wich east do you come from the one that thinks there american(TO)Cherry is just ridding Ron's coat tail big guy,he trashes any hockey player who is not canadian,calls you a little girl if your from europe and ware a visor yet cares about your safety please.Like a couple of other guys posted contradics himself,he's a red neck.........oh wait maybe your a red neck yourself,were you from Neufyland! lol